• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
With the amount of people still passing them off as fake until officially shown otherwise, I very much doubt this is why.

But I liked some of the ideas for Popplio's evo.
While there are a couple of straw graspers, the majority still considers the leak real, so that probably is the reason.

So, just curious, how does everyone still stand around the idea/speculation/theory that the Gen 7 Starters may have split forms? Do you think its still possible for this to happen, or are you more in the camp for the speculated idea that the Gen 7 Starters have so-called Z-Forms? I myself am neutral at this, but if there was a camp I preferred more, it would be the Split Evo/Forms speculation for me personally.

I myself don't think Z-Forms exist, at least not if its supposed to be like Ash-Greninja, seeing common speculation around them is that you need to use a move to trigger this said transformation, and as we know, Ash-Greninja doesn't need to do this. Of course, I know, anime and the games are different in their ways how certain things are portrayed. That said, if they do exist, I could see them work similar to Mega Evolution, where the move's effect only triggers a transformation, instead of an all-powerful attack that causes a transformation during the attack phase or after it. After all, Z-Moves, no matter what, at least from what we know, can only be used once. So the Z-Moves would have to either cause a Transformation, or allow a Pokémon to perform a powerful attack, but not both. I just don't see both powers/effects included into a Z-Move.

In all, from what I can gather on Z-Moves, they could be included into three variants:

1. Transformation Effect similar to Mega Evolution (Zenith Forms)
2. All-Powerful Attack Move (Special or Physical)
3. Stat-Boost/Non-Attack Move
I honestly don't like the idea of split-evos for the starters, and absolutely hate the concept of Z-Forms (even though I'd still like Ash-Greninja in the game). I just hope their secret is exclusive Z-Moves.

Last edited:

Nuzlocker4Life

I'm still hopeful for split final evos for the starters (I doubt the split would begin in the middle stage) that are time-based opposed to version exclusivity. Although, even if they did try to make them version exclusive, I assume if you sent a Sun version-Rockruff over to Moon, it would still evolve into midday form. The games do recognize where a Pokemon originally generated from (ala Vivillon's wing patterns).

I'd be disappointed if it was something as stupid as a Z-form transformation, like Ash-Greninja. Dumbest idea ever, keep that crap anime-only.

B. Thunder Tiger

I honestly don't like the idea of split-evos for the starters, and absolutely hate the concept of Z-Forms (even though I'd still like Ash-Greninja in the game). I just hope their secret is exclusive Z-Moves.

Oh? Why so? Doesn't it give more choice to the players with what for starter they want in Alola? That said, I too am not really a fan of Z-Forms idea because I think they'd be a bit complicated and we already have Mega-Evolution for the transformation gimmick. Adding another just makes things more complex.

That said, I do not hope that the secret is exclusive Z-Moves, because that would be a pretty lame secret if you ask me. Of course, that is how I think about it anyways.

clbgolden12

Oh? Why so? Doesn't it give more choice to the players with what for starter they want in Alola? That said, I too am not really a fan of Z-Forms idea because I think they'd be a bit complicated and we already have Mega-Evolution for the transformation gimmick. Adding another just makes things more complex.

That said, I do not hope that the secret is exclusive Z-Moves, because that would be a pretty lame secret if you ask me. Of course, that is how I think about it anyways.
I just think split-evos would overcomplicate things a bit. They'd pretty much need to be revealed before release, otherwise it'd cause more confusion, and it'd be even worse if they were version exclusive. Honestly, I think split-evos would be much more lame than exclusive Z-Moves.

R_N

I just think split-evos would overcomplicate things a bit. They'd pretty much need to be revealed before release, otherwise it'd cause more confusion, and it'd be even worse if they were version exclusive. Honestly, I think split-evos would be much more lame than exclusive Z-Moves.

What confusion would it cause, though? "My litten2 because litten3 but it looks like this!" "mine looks like this" "oh its a split evolution"

If they're that concerned they can just say that the middle stages react differently when they evolve based on [whatever factor] how mysterious...!!!!!!!!!

TyLogic

I don't think that their secret is that big anymore. They never really hyped it up. Maybe they didn't hype it up because they wanted us to be both dumbfounded and surprised when they finally reveal it.

Relax

I agree with you, we just had mega evolutions there is no need for another kind of evolution. Day and Night evolutions or different evolutions with islands would be more fun. Maybe tomorrow we will get some info about it.

clbgolden12

What confusion would it cause, though? "My litten2 because litten3 but it looks like this!" "mine looks like this" "oh its a split evolution"

If they're that concerned they can just say that the middle stages react differently when they evolve based on [whatever factor] how mysterious...!!!!!!!!!
Maybe confusion isn't the best word, but I think people would prefer to know that the starters are gonna have two seperate evolutions ahead of time, especially if they're version based.

R_N

Maybe confusion isn't the best word, but I think people would prefer to know that the starters are gonna have two seperate evolutions ahead of time, especially if they're version based.

I don't see why, though. The final evolutions are usually not revealed in the first place, so it wouldn't matter at all. You're still taking a gamble when you choose your starter (we'll ignore leaks since the majority buying the games probably dont keep up with those) that it will turn into something you like or a type you want.

Nin10nerd

Living in bliss!
Plot twist; middle evolutions have split forms too. You get split forms, you get split forms, everyone gets split forms!!! :D

I kid, let's hope it doesn't get that crazy...

clbgolden12

I don't see why, though. The final evolutions are usually not revealed in the first place, so it wouldn't matter at all. You're still taking a gamble when you choose your starter (we'll ignore leaks since the majority buying the games probably dont keep up with those) that it will turn into something you like or a type you want.
Yeah, but it'd still be nice to be noted ahead of time that the starters have split-forms, so you know you have two different options.

I'm on the fence regarding the starter leaks (now that I've had the chance to take a look at them.) If they are real, then they're flagged as concept art, not official art, so their final designs may still yet change from the leaked art. That said, they do appear fairly close to finalized, as far as concept art goes, so I guess... anything goes! :>

I would like Litten3 to be Fire/Dark, since in Gen 2, the Dark-type was billed not as evil, but rather as dirty fighting techniques. So with Litten3 allegedly being a heel wrestler, it'd make sense for it to know dirty fighting moves, aka Dark-type moves (as well as other dishonest moves like Sand Attack, Feint, and Low Kick.)

Popplio3 being a Water/Fairy mermaid is fine with me, too. I mean, I might not pick Popplio on my main male character on Sun version, but if I ever get Moon version, my character there would be female, and she would gladly start with Popplio.

I adore Rowlet3's leaked concept art! Archers are really cool classes to play in RPGs; I used to main Ranger in my old D&D circles, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the various skillsets they can learn. Seeing Pokémon finally accept the Ranger class into the game makes my heart swell with joy! Also, owls are probably the coolest birds out there, IMO. They're adorably fluffy early on, but grow up to be deadly predators!

All in all, I think I'd be disappointed if they just copypasta'd Lycanroc's gimmick over to the starters. I like the starters' leaked final form concept art just fine, but OTOH, I support the theory that the Ash-Greninja effect will carry over to the starters. I don't care what it's called--Z(enith)-Formes, Synchro-Evolution, whatever--I truly do want it to happen! And to other Pokémon, too; not just the starters!

TyLogic

How tall is Rowlet3? I saw a picture of stilt owls or burrowing owls...some prehistoric owl. It was...short but...scary tall for an owl. I just hope Rowlet3 isn't that short. Not like Lycanroc (Doesn't bother me too much but the design and height don't really match up). Height plays a smaaaall role for me. I was gonna use Bewear until I saw it's height...

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
How tall is Rowlet3? I saw a picture of stilt owls or burrowing owls...some prehistoric owl. It was...short but...scary tall for an owl. I just hope Rowlet3 isn't that short. Not like Lycanroc (Doesn't bother me too much but the design and height don't really match up). Height plays a smaaaall role for me. I was gonna use Bewear until I saw it's height...

Hmm, if I had to guess their heights I would go with.

Litten3 is probably around 1.6m/5.3 ft because it seems around the same height as the Machamp it's wrestling with in the art. Though it could be bigger or smaller.

I'm thinking Rowlet3 is on the smaller side, so more like 3ft/.91m - 5ft/1.52m.

And I see Popplio3 being potentially the largest, or somewhere in the middle at about 4ft/1.21m - 6ft/1.82m.

TyLogic

Hmm, if I had to guess their heights I would go with.

Litten3 is probably around 1.6m/5.3 ft because it seems around the same height as the Machamp it's wrestling with in the art. Though it could be bigger or smaller.

I'm thinking Rowlet3 is on the smaller side, so more like 3ft/.91m - 5ft/1.52m.

And I see Popplio3 being potentially the largest, or somewhere in the middle at about 4ft/1.21m - 6ft/1.82m.

3ft.!? What's the most small pokemon now?

knightwolf09

Usually starters are as tall as 5 foot to 6 foot, so somewhere between the two. So kinda tall.

TyLogic

When you measure the height of a sea lion, do you take the height from when they're on their tummies, or do you lay them down and go from back flippers to the top of the head? Popplio3 might be as tall as Serperior if it's the latter.

glacialcat

When you measure the height of a sea lion, do you take the height from when they're on their tummies, or do you lay them down and go from back flippers to the top of the head? Popplio3 might be as tall as Serperior if it's the latter.

Pokemon almost always seems to choose whatever would give you the longest measurement. But for comparison, Dewgong is 5'07". There's no way that's supposed to be anything but top of head to back of tail for it, so presumably the same for Popplio3.

Last edited:

Gizmoa

In science they would use snout to vent rather than a height, but pokemon seems to choose the actual height measurement semi randomly with it sometimes being shoulder, sometimes snout to vent, sometimes top of head and sometimes wingspan

XXD17

Draco rex
In science they would use snout to vent rather than a height, but pokemon seems to choose the actual height measurement semi randomly with it sometimes being shoulder, sometimes snout to vent, sometimes top of head and sometimes wingspan

From what I can tell, for bipedal Pokémon (machamp, blaziken), they tend to do head to foot...for most other creature 'mons (serperior, wailord, giratina), they like head to tail...for oblong 'mons, I'm guessing they pick the largest "diameter" that is also part of the main body (like how bronzong's is probably it's bell length rather than the diameter created by the "arms")...which 'mon is wingspan?

Status
Not open for further replies.