• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I know that I am going to be the party-pooper here, but I hope that Robin Hood is NOT the theme they are going for. I absolutely despise that idea. What the hell does a Pokemon have to do with Robin Hood, of all things? If the connection is so blatant in the end, I am going to be very unhappy with GameFreak. It just makes zero sense to me. I've never been into the whole Robin Hood story.

What does a Pokemon have to do with The Three Muskateers? The Romance of the Three Kingdoms? My Neighbor Totoro? Pokemon has drawn influence from various sources before, I don't see why the legends and ballads of Robin Hood seems out of place or wrong.

As expected, they are basing Rowlet line on Green Arrow. Started out as a cute spoiled baby it is snobby in middle stage and turn into an archer in its final stage. They might as well name the final form Owliver (Queen).

Brionne used to be an acrobat in its previous form and now it's a dancer? Career change for Pokemon?

Torracat, not the best design, safe to say it transitioned the least among the starters.

Sakuraba

Something more badass and less femenine, specially from the owl.

A concept that lead the finals evolution look like this for example, would have been real nice.

1466023857698.jpg

Ow, the edge....

BlitzGirl41

What does a Pokemon have to do with The Three Muskateers? The Romance of the Three Kingdoms? My Neighbor Totoro? Pokemon has drawn influence from various sources before, I don't see why the legends and ballads of Robin Hood seems out of place or wrong.

In answer to your and others' responses to my post, I will say that a) I didn't realize the other connections made in the past, such as with Emboar, and b) I absolutely hate the Three Musketeers thing that was done in B/W (B/W just felt...weird all around, probably one of my least favorite gens of the franchise). I just find European inspirations to feel the most out of place in Pokemon. It's why I loved G/S/HG/SS because the Japan theme of the architecture and the Phoenix/Dragon theme of Ho-Oh and Lugia felt right to me. And yes, I am biased. I love Japanese and Chinese myth far more than European. But don't judge me about it. I get enough flak in these forums for expressing my opinions as it is.

.Aerodactyl.

The thing about personal opinion is that it can't be wrong...it's just her feelings. She's allowed to not like the inspiration. I'm personally indifferent to it.

Personally I don't understand the hate for brionne, I think she super cute, but people can have their opinions. I did notice though that it lacks that dark blue colouring Popplio has... I wonder if either Popplio would have looked better in the lighter blue to better match, or of brionne should have incorporated that colour in its design. I think it might have made people hate it less.

BlitzGirl41

The thing about personal opinion is that it can't be wrong...it's just her feelings. She's allowed to not like the inspiration. I'm personally indifferent to it.

Personally I don't understand the hate for brionne, I think she super cute, but people can have their opinions. I did notice though that it lacks that dark blue colouring Popplio has... I wonder if either Popplio would have looked better in the lighter blue to better match, or of brionne should have incorporated that colour in its design. I think it might have made people hate it less.

Due to my personal indifference to Popplio, I really can't care what Brionne looks like. The only issue that I can see is that both its name and appearance are far more feminine in nature, so it woudl seem awkward to envision it as a male. (Also, I wonder where "Brionne" comes from? What does the name have to do with a water-type, performing seal? Usually Pokemon names are pretty self-explanatory, but this one eludes me. Just makes me think of the name "Brienne" from GoT. The second half of "Dartrix" also confuses me. "Dart", ok, but "rix"? Is it maybe part of a scientific name for owls?)

Froakin' Koga

Pokemon draws inspiration from pop culture and personally I like this a lot more as it doesn't lead to stale designs. Ultimately I like when GameFreak goes for broke on designs and in the long run it makes the designs much better. Does it lead to some misses like Tony the Tiger (who I actually like) and Vanilluxe? Yeah. But we also get some awesome designs like an emperor penguin that doubles as Emperor Napoleon or a sword with a ghost hand so it can wield itself.

With over 700 Pokemon, there's gotta be an edge to evolutions nowadays. Rowlet MUST evolve into something different than an Alolan Noctowl. Popplio MUST evolve into something different than Alolan Dewgong. So I'm all for the design team taking chances. I hope they NEVER go back to the gen 1 evolution designs like Grimer > Muk and Diglett > Dugtrio

AmethystLeslie

Should I just remind you guys that there is a Pokemon based on a dead comedian?

At this point, I don't care where the designs come from. As long as I like the design, and the Pokemon itself, we're good.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Due to my personal indifference to Popplio, I really can't care what Brionne looks like. The only issue that I can see is that both its name and appearance are far more feminine in nature, so it woudl seem awkward to envision it as a male. (Also, I wonder where "Brionne" comes from? What does the name have to do with a water-type, performing seal? Usually Pokemon names are pretty self-explanatory, but this one eludes me. Just makes me think of the name "Brienne" from GoT. The second half of "Dartrix" also confuses me. "Dart", ok, but "rix"? Is it maybe part of a scientific name for owls?)

Dartrix' name deviates from Strix, a genus of owls.

Brionne had Brine in it. Said word is also a water type move.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well, since the final evolutions will more than likely have two forms, this will balance out the designs of the middle evolutions.

Personally, I think the leaked final for Rowlett is the Moon form, so we'll likely get something a little more "hmm, yes, quite, good chap" for the Sun form.

As for Litten, I think the leaked final is Sun, while a much more sinister, possible quadrupedal form will be for Moon.

For Popplio, the siren can go either way. However, I see it closer to Moon, given its lunar-esque appearance (like a mermaid in the moonlight). I think we'll get more of a grand performer for Sun.

knightwolf09

Okay, I can't be the only who thinks Rowlet's line took inspiration from Greeen Arrow. It becomes a spoiled snobby rich dude, and after some training and discipline it becomes a heroic archer.

Froakin' Koga

Okay, I can't be the only who thinks Rowlet's line took inspiration from Greeen Arrow. It becomes a spoiled snobby rich dude, and after some training and discipline it becomes a heroic archer.

I mean Green Arrow is inspired by the story of Robin Hood. Which is an age old story

Aromaeus

In order of my favorite designs to least favorite it's Brionne > Torracat > Dartrix. I can't get over the preppy frat boy look and it's description of being all about it's looks does it no favors either. I love that Brionne is a real trooper and tries to stay positive but shows vulnerability with a trainer it trust completely. Torracat is something out of a furry's wet dream. It's already been R34'd and my eyes are still burning.

Sakuraba

I think that is just a coincidence over both being inspired by Robin Hood, who has a similar story.

But you can name yours "Oliver". It makes sense

Already said that. Before the reveal it could have been either Robin Hood or GA but now it is quite obvious thanks to Dartrix snobby nature.

I mean Green Arrow is inspired by the story of Robin Hood. Which is an age old story

Yes but GA is a more developed character than Robin Hood and resemblance is uncanny at this point.

I think that is just a coincidence over both being inspired by Robin Hood, who has a similar story.

But you can name yours "Oliver". It makes sense

I don't think Robin Hood was ever a snobby brat. In many stories his father was a knight but that's about it.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

I think it likely to have taken inspiration from several archers of lore... So I don't discount it. But I doubt it's the only one, as that is definitely got more copyrights on it then Robin Hood and other historical figures and legends do. Plus Pokémon doesn't tend to draw inspiration solely from modern heros but likes to pay homage to different lore and mythos.

It's personality description just screams to me "plot device for Ash to deal with in the anime" too XD.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Just gonna say, I really, REALLY like how expressive the starters' lines are. Dartrix's facial expressions alone got a good chuckle out of me.
Design wise, I'm liking all of them, the weakest having to be Brionne I'm afraid, but I can respect it for what they wanted to accomplish with its design. Typings for the final forms of Popplio and Litten respectively are up in the air still I see...

I think it likely to have taken inspiration from several archers of lore... So I don't discount it. But I doubt it's the only one, as that is definitely got more copyrights on it then Robin Hood and other historical figures and legends do. Plus Pokémon doesn't tend to draw inspiration solely from modern heros but likes to pay homage to different lore and mythos.

It's personality description just screams to me "plot device for Ash to deal with in the anime" too XD.

Agreed. They normally derive from more than one 'idea' but problem here is the lack of depth for Robin Hood's character. Maybe that's why they are deviating towards GA.

All three starters dex info talks about trainers trust and stuff. I suppose all three would need some work.

.Aerodactyl.

Just gonna say, I really, REALLY like how expressive the starters' lines are. Dartrix's facial expressions alone got a good chuckle out of me.
Design wise, I'm liking all of them, the weakest having to be Brionne I'm afraid, but I can respect it for what they wanted to accomplish with its design. Typings for the final forms of Popplio and Litten respectively are up in the air still I see...

This is such a good point. I really love the animations, especially over the artwork. For some reason, Torracat just looks off in its artwork to me... I'd actually assume it was a fakemon if I saw it on its own before. But it's animations are completely endearing. Love them. I really hate Liften, but if it's the evolution (pretty much 98% certain it is but don't like to say something until official reveal) I'm hoping that the animations and in game model will change it for me.

I do think that Dartrix and Torracat show enough difference to the finals for split evos to still be possible (even Brionne, but to a lesser extent). Not saying they will happen, only that I think it's still possible.

If there are split evos forms based on version exclusiveness and not day/night evos, how do you think it will work? Do you think it matters which game the Pokémon came from or which one it evolves in?

Status
Not open for further replies.