• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Why not?

1.Rowlet
2.Litten3
3.Torracat
4.Dartrix
5.Popplio3
6.Litten
7.Rowlet3
8.Popplio
9.Brionne

shac

The official art for Brionne is soooo beautiful! That cone nose on popplio used to throw me off, but the transitionof that in brionne has been done really well IMO.
I am not really liking torracat's design. Its official art looks like a badly done fan art to me.
Dartrix (I love the name) is interesting and if it makes a good ccase for the arrow owl final stage.

When the starters were first revealed Rowlet wsa my favorite, followed by Litten and popplio at third.
Now I am liking Brionne the best, followed by Dartrix and Torracat the lsat.

glacialcat

Since the cool kids are doing it

1. Rowlet3
2. Popplio3
3. Rowlet
4. Popplio
5. Litten3
6. Brionne
7. Litten
8. Torracat
9. Dartrix

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
my opinions on starter design

brionne: aww, it's pretty cute, and I'm not normally one for psuedo-clothed pokemon
dartrix: I can't help but laugh at it. i feel like he and gladion could make a really good over-the-top edgelord duo
torracat: it's so precious... ;_; makes one just want to cry thinking that my cute little tiger cub with the kitty bell is going to turn into that monstrosity nicknamed "liften". Please split evos...

Janovy

Banned
Brionne is my favorite Alola starter middle stage...which is ironic because I didn't care the slightest for Popplio lol

Crystal Power

Not sure if it's been said, but I see a lot of people mention how the 2nd stages make the jump to the final forms look drastic or one would think there would be 3rd evolution needed to get the forms in the concept art lol. Well I think the 2nd evo may look more neutral if there are midday and midnight forms for them. It would make sense to make there 2nd evos more neutral.

On a different topic, I think I just may try to have the starter trio on my team. I do prefer Litten's evolution line though all three are good. =)

Bamboosle

I finally have my answer what i dislike about Brionne: it's the eyes. I do like its lore though. The name Brionne reminds me also of Brienne from Game of Thrones :p
Really weird but it looks like a first stage starter in a way, haha. Ah well...it hurts so much that Brionne is my least favorite middle stage over all generations... But i will get over it!
And for sake of conversation:
1. Litten
2. Rowlet3
3. Torracat/Dartrix
5. Rowlet
6. Popplio
7. Litten3
8. Popplio3
9. Brionne

i wish people stopped calling delphox feminine....it is neither....it is a (wizard's/witch's) robe....sigh...

Last edited:

Dandefuzz

I was deadest on Litten despite my less than thrilled feelings on the final evo, but I really friggin like Dartrix. I think I might be going grass type for my first playthrough. Fancy butler owl ftw.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I finally have my answer what i dislike about Brionne: it's the eyes. I do like its lore though. The name Brionne reminds me also of Brienne from Game of Thrones :p
Really weird but it looks like a first stage starter in a way, haha. Ah well...it hurts so much that Brionne is my least favorite middle stage over all generations... But i will get over it!
And for sake of conversation:
1. Litten
2. Rowlet3
3. Torracat/Dartrix
5. Rowlet
6. Popplio
7. Litten3
8. Popplio3
9. Brionne

i wish people stopped calling delphox feminine....it is neither....it is a (wizard's/witch's) robe....sigh...

Poor Brionne. I'm glad it's getting awarmer reception than Popplio did, but there's still so much dislike for it.

As for the eyes, I think it's the same deal as Sylveon. Some people find its eyes to be cute, some think that they're terrifying. I'm firmly on the side of it being precious, though.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Since some people have started this, I might as well:

1. Rowlet
2. Popplio3
3. Rowlet3
4. Torracat
5. Brionne
6. Litten
7. Popplio
8. Litten3
9. Dartrix

I had the same... 'dislike' for Quilladin last generation and I still went with Chespin. I plan on using Rowlet even though the middle evolution is my least favorite, design-wise. I don't hate any of them, but I do have favorites. :p

Froakin' Koga

I think the reason some people are struggling with how feminine Brionne is is because Popplio had a masculine vibe to him (due in large part to fan art and people noticing he may be a strongman due to the circus theory). So it is a bit jarring when we see pigtails and a frilly dress and such. And it's totally fine for people to want gender neutral starters.

Personally I'm digging the dorky pop star and I can't wait to see Ariana Grande evolve into Adele

Janovy

Banned
Given the leaked art of the final stages shows a mermaid, Popplio taking a more feminine approach is totally understandable.

Personally I love Brionne's eyes and the color blue in its design. I also love the dress, it's a nice extension of Popplio's collar.

knightwolf09

Just thought of something!

Didn't one of the Chinese Leaks say something along the lines of "Not to get anyones hopes up, but I think the starters have 2 final evolutions."?
Was that proven false? If not, then I think that they will have another form! (Based on friendship and time of day, using information from flavor text.)

This is why you shouldn't rely on pokejungle for leaks. The chinese leaks said nothing of split forms. That was from another rumor and he lumped then together with the chinese leak.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Yeah, I'll just join the bandwagon..

1. Rowlet3: Yeah.. #Arrowl2k16. Can't flaw its design at all.
2. Torracat: Who can't like this? Its a fire shooting cat!
3. Dartrix: I can see why some people don't like it. And I just take the snobby attitude for granted, I just know this thing will be awesome on my team until it evolves into the glorious Arrowl.
4. Popplio3: I don't like Popplio's line much, but this design is solid. I can't fault it.
5. Rowlet: Love the little bugger, but the designs above just feel more complete, but that's just due to it being the basic stage.
6. Litten: Same with Rowlet, it's got a good design, but I like Rowlet more.
7. Litten3: I don't dislike it much, I'm actually warming up to it. But I still don't find the design to be all that.
8. Popplio: Yeah.. That starter that you wouldn't mind getting the Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin-treatment just so you don't have to see it go through that.. Don't get me wrong, I like its design, it's sleak... But..

- left intentially open or dramatic purposes..

9. Brionne: Ugly. As. Sin. Immediately there are people that have taken a liking towards it, but I don't see it. At all. It's not the feminity of the frilly dress or the pigtails. It's just the look it exudes in general and those eyes that look like.. yuck. Its snout looks as if it has been glued on, whereas Popplio's looks like it actually is a part of its body. Its just not working for me.

I like the middle stages of most starter pokémon a lot. Seriously, I honestly can't name a lot of them where I didn't had an instance where I regretted evolving them. Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Wartortle, Quilava, Grovyle, Marshtomp, Monferno, Grotle, Dewott, Frogadier, they're among my favorites even though I like Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Typhlosion, Sceptile, Swampert, Torterra, Infernape, Samurott and Greninja probably just as much. Brionne though? Not so much. It joins the small group of middle stages that I actually don't like.. consisting off: Servine and.. BRIONNE.. Just yuck.. -.-

I think the reason some people are struggling with how feminine Brionne is is because Popplio had a masculine vibe to him (due in large part to fan art and people noticing he may be a strongman due to the circus theory). So it is a bit jarring when we see pigtails and a frilly dress and such. And it's totally fine for people to want gender neutral starters.

Personally I'm digging the dorky pop star and I can't wait to see Ariana Grande evolve into Adele

I though Popplio was pretty much gender neutral to be honest. People take issue with Brionne because it's eyes are ugly as sin. I don't mind that it looks feminine at all, I think that its design just hurts my eyes and I'll be glad the moment I fully evolve it in order to complete the 'dex/use Bubblaid.

How do we know for sure that they're concept art?

I'm fairly certain it was written somewhere either in the reddit post accompanying the leaked artwork, or directly on the images in Japanese. Furthermore, there was a bright red [CONFIDENTIAL] stamped onto all three pics, adding further to the proof that they're either close to finalized, or even fully-finalized, concept art. The more other things in that leak that are proven true, the closer those leaks come to being proven as final concepts. Popplio3 is looking nearly confirmed thanks to Brionne, and while Litten3 may still look like a long-shot, I can totally see Rowlet3 being fully legit.

Skeith

(◕‿‿◕)
So In terms of the starters evolution's Dartrix is the only one that I can't see its final "leaked" evolution in. It takes the Rowlett design in a more scholarly direction which is what I expected before the leak and makes me think that its final form would be a teacher sort of design, maybe with a mortarboard but of course thanks to Mallow we know this isn't the case (well unless the Rockruff secret is different evolution's). Its a fitting design and is something that I would know as Rowlett's evolution.

Broionne suffers a mild case of Samurott for me, in that it seems to ditch a lot of pre-established elements of its line, being a clown, in favor of a new theme, being an idol. Unlike Samurott though its design doesn't feel out of place for me in the line and I get the sense of progression between it and its evolution. I like its aesthetic and the feminine of the design makes me curious as to whether this will be the first starter line with a reversed gender ratio (87.5 female, 12.5 male). It also re-enforces my choice in having Poppilo as my starter.

Finally Torracat... well... *sigh*

Torracat leaves me feeling a sense a disappointment I haven't felt since gen 5's starters (the worst imo). This is a great and refreshing design for a cat Pokemon that really captures the feel of a bulky quadruped and really looks like it could really put up a fight. This design is so good I could see it as a Fire/Fighting and would not be disappointed because it is so refreshing and unique to see in a Pokemon. I would love to see them take this design to the next stage and make something that is truly imposing and fierce but we all know what comes next. The tired and true, 4 out of 7 generation horse that has been beaten beyond recognition, Fire/Fighting Wrestler ("Dark" all you want, seeing those dex entries I'm not holding my breath). Its a shame too as I don't think Litten 3 is a bad design, it is one of the better wrestler designs we have gotten but after so many generations of see this same design recycled over and over the design has become akin to Zubat for me, unless it shines, it's worthless. I was apathetic towards the design when in leaked but upon seeing what they did with Torracat and the potential it could have had had they FINALLY made a quadruped fire starter there is just no words for how let down I feel by them taking this route again.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Poor Brionne. I'm glad it's getting awarmer reception than Popplio did, but there's still so much dislike for it.

As for the eyes, I think it's the same deal as Sylveon. Some people find its eyes to be cute, some think that they're terrifying. I'm firmly on the side of it being precious, though.

(keep in mind I have not seen the in-game model since I don't watch trailers so I'm working off the concept art only)

Brionne's eyes, and to a lesser degree its whole design, remind me of modern (2010s) cartoons the same way Popplio's design reminds me of classic black and white cartoons. Which explains why I like Brionne so much more than Popplio. I find bnw cartoon characters creepy as all hell...

Also Brionne is the Princess Tutu of pokemon. That needed to be said.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Alright, guess I'll join in for the rankings:

1. Rowlet3/Litten 3 (can't decide!)
2. Popplio3
3. Torracat
4. Litten
5. Rowlet
6. Brionne
7. Popplio
8. Dartrix

This is why you shouldn't rely on pokejungle for leaks. The chinese leaks said nothing of split forms. That was from another rumor and he lumped then together with the chinese leak.
Ty did say "one" of the Chinese leaks, so maybe it was from the riddler?

PokeAJ

Bulbapedia says Brionne may be a combination of brio and undine, a female water nymph. That would certainly confirm water/fairy for Popplio 3. It also makes me wonder if what I said awhile back about split final evos being gender based could still be true, since an undine is exclusively female. The secret between Rockruff and the starters could simply be split final evolutions, not necessarily day/night dependent ones. Litten 3 and Popplio 3 certainly look masculine and feminine enough to have respective counterparts. Rowlet 3 could be seen as a fairly masculine look too.

noakai

For me I can see the transition from Dartrix to Rowlet3 not just because of the feather blades and arrows thing and some of the other design features that match to me but because the middle stage seems to be the annoying, immature teen phase, and I can see Rowlet3 being the grown up, heroic adult that comes from a spoiled teenager who eventually gets a wakeup call and decides to do good in the world etc. I can see Torracat loving battle so much that it ends up being a wrestler. Brionne looks exactly like it funnels into Popplio3, I'm just not sure what "story" I can see for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.