• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I still find it weird that I somehow beat SoulSilver with Meganium despite its horrible movepool and how it gets screwed over in most of the gyms and some parts of the Elite Four along with Gen II/HGSS' awful leveling curve but I'm not going to go there.

Here's hoping all three having some decent to great movepools.

Meganium is amazing. <3 Female Bayleef laughs at Whitney's Miltank from above the clouds.

I am CRAZY EXCITED to see Popplio3's moveset. I want it to be stunning. I hope it gets wonderful and powerful moves like Hydro Pump, Moonblast, Mirror Coat, Quiver Dance, Hyper Voice...

As for my starters:

Generation I: Squirtle. Love turtles and always found awesome the concept of having blasting cannons in the shell. Original idea!
Generation II: Chikorita. There's always been something about Meganium's beautiful flower that caught my attention. Such grace within one Pokémon!
Generation III: Torchic. I LOVE chicks and I especially did when I was younger. Design-wise, Blaziken isn't my favorite (I'd say Sceptile is) but I love it anyway and my feelings for Torchic are far too big for me to change it.
Generation IV: Piplup. First starter ever and I LOVE penguins as well. :D Empoleon's design and type combination is just... way too good. I love it so much. <3
Generation V: Oshawott. It used to be Snivy (which I would pick in the sequel games; so fitting!) but I have developped some odd love for Samurott. I adore this big ol' sea lion. <3
Generation VI: Chespin. The sixth generation was the first generation game I got to follow from first reveal to release and Chespin is the one that got me the most interested in when the trio was revealed. I sticked with it until the end. :3
Generation VII: Rowlet. I felt the same way about Rowlet than I did for Chespin. But Popplio is a close second! Especially due to its final evolution.

Last edited:

2dtyplosion

I know that the leaked pokedex was fake but i really like the name Beltigre. It fits its final form and can even sorta fit its middle form.

Missingno.Fan

I'm now torn on which starter to get. I think I'm getting Popplio on Moon. I can't decide what to do on Sun. I'm not into Rowlet but I love it's final form.
I know that the leaked pokedex was fake but i really like the name Beltigre. It fits its final form and can even sorta fit its middle form.
I loved Beltigre. I going to use it as a nickname.

TyLogic

What about the fake names: Robinroot, Entermaid and Sirene?

Chimchar15

Same here i really liked that name. As for the starters:

Generation I: Charmander- I liked Charizard a lot pretty straight forward.
Generation II: Cyndaquil- Cool yet simple design plus Typhlosion is great.
Generation III: Torchic- Cute base stage, meh middle stage, awesome final stage.
Generation IV: Chimchar- I love monkeys and fire is my favorite type. So far my favorite starter.
Generation V: Tepig- I like the entire line especially Emboar.
Generation VI: Chespin- This was the first time I didn't choose the fire starter on my first playthrough. i liked the line and I wasn't crazy about the other two especially Delphox.
Generation VII: Litten- I'll admit I was initially wowed by any of the Alolan starters but I liked Litten's color scheme and it was fire. Now seeing the entire line I'm really happy that I'm choosing him because his final evolution looks AMAZING! I'm a huge wrestling fan and him being a heel wrestler sold me on him.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I still find it weird that I somehow beat SoulSilver with Meganium despite its horrible movepool and how it gets screwed over in most of the gyms and some parts of the Elite Four along with Gen II/HGSS' awful leveling curve but I'm not going to go there.

Here's hoping all three having some decent to great movepools.

I always felt so bad for Meganium, weak against six gyms in the Johto region (Falkner, Bugsy, Morty, Jasmine, Pryce, and Clair), can only exploit type advantage against two of them (Chuck's Poliwrath and Pryce's team, who also has the advantage on it), weak to almost every Pokémon on the rival's team, weak to Team Rocket overall, and weak to Koga and Lance (and Karen and Will each have a good number of Pokémon with an advantage against it). It also doesn't help that its movepool is terrible, it has no gimmicks that can at least keep it afloat like Coil, and the leveling curve not being kind to it. It was basically doomed to be overshadowed as it had nothing to sell itself with while most Grass types and the other two starters were better, which is sad to say as it was my first Pokémon in that generation.

Hopefully we don't get another case of that with the Alolan starters, though with their secondary typings being pretty implied, at least they may have that other typing to play around with.

B. Thunder Tiger

I just found more interesting stuff by chance that can possibly lead to a Fire/Ground Heel Wrestler for Litten3, or for the commonly speculated Fire/Dark type too, as the following only references earthly disasters, which fits nicely with the power of natural disasters. Its the name alone that interests me more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Fire (also called the circum-Pacific belt.) May not be much, sure, but who else emphasizes a belt in their design that emits a spiraling ring of fire? That is right, Litten3's concept art depicts this heavily. Its not just a stream of fire, but a stream of fire that goes specifically into a ring of fire.

I'm one of the people that really likes littens design but was immensely disappointed by litten3. Normally I can warm up to the 'mons I don't like, but with litten3 it's just not the case.
I admit, I really hoped for a quadruped final evolution after als those bipedal ones. That it's looking like another fighter doesn't help either.
But still, like I said, I normally can warm up to them. But there is something about litten3 that just doesn't fit for me at all and after a lot of looking at the concept art I finally figured out what it is:
The hands.
Really, they're not paws anymore, but they aren't human either. For me they just seem like it has 5 sausages with claws on each hand and that's really disturbing me. In my opinion the design would look much better if only the paws/hands were different. Either more animal or more human like.

Just wanted to get this out.

2dtyplosion

proxy.jpg

This was posted by the riddler. People on Bulbagarden are saying the pics are related to Salandit while the second bit of text says we havent seen all the starters. Maybe split forms?

While talking about split forms for the starters: I've read a lot of times that it seems unlikely because the middle form look so much like they will evolve into the concept arts forms and I agree with that.

But do we know if these are the only middle forms? It seems unlikely that Gamefreak would just reveal one form if there were different ones, but why not? They gave us a lot of surprises this generation.
Corocoro will be talking about the starters as well, right?
I actually think it would be quite shocking for the fans if on the 14th Gamefreak would reveal other forms for the middle forms, with Corocoro tying in and revealing both forms (officially) on the 15th.

Nothing to support this, just a fun idea.

2dtyplosion

Not sure if this is a direct translation but

He also said, don't think you know everything about starters just because of the last news about starters evolution and final evolution leak. Of course, we do not talk about skill, ability, data, stats, etc. Some guess about those three also not true (don't know which one he talking about, too much guess .The description of starters also not clearly, the truth is only one: You don't know everything about starters at all.

Relax

He also said, don't think you know everything about starters just because of the last news about starters evolution and final evolution leak. Of course, we do not talk about skill, ability, data, stats, etc. Some guess about those three also not true (don't know which one he talking about, too much guess .The description of starters also not clearly, the truth is only one: You don't know everything about starters at all.

Hmm that is weird tho, it is true we don't know the ''secret'' but he makes it sound like there is a ''big'' piece is missing like 2 final evolutions?

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost

hmm... hard to know how useful this is. Maybe it's just something like "liften is part-dark instead of part-fighting" or vice versa, or maybe even steel, poison or ground. Or maybe rowlet3's part dark or something. Now, this would be interesting to know, but not really game-changing for a lot of people like me, who are more concerned with whether or not we get a split evolution, particularly for *shudders* liften.

KKS-Lapras

hmm... hard to know how useful this is. Maybe it's just something like "liften is part-dark instead of part-fighting" or vice versa, or maybe even steel, poison or ground. Or maybe rowlet3's part dark or something. Now, this would be interesting to know, but not really game-changing for a lot of people like me, who are more concerned with whether or not we get a split evolution, particularly for *shudders* liften.

It is game-changing for some of us if Rowlet's final evolution is any type combination besides Grass/Flying. Some of us like that type combination, and see it as unique, and part of why we liked Rowlet in the first place.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
It is game-changing for some of us if Rowlet's final evolution is any type combination besides Grass/Flying. Some of us like that type combination, and see it as unique, and part of why we liked Rowlet in the first place.

yeah, of course it depends on the person. I mean, I do take typing into account somewhat as well. It's just for me, at the moment I would consider split evos way huger for my own personal decisions, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel similarly (along with those who care more primarily about type). I really like torracat, who is by far my favorite at this point, but I absolutely cannot stand the leaked final evo, so whatever happens with that could very easily by itself change my decision on who to go with my first playthrough, regardless of any other factors that would normally influence my decision.

KKS-Lapras

yeah, of course it depends on the person. I mean, I do take typing into account somewhat as well. It's just for me, at the moment I would consider split evos way huger for my own personal decisions, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel similarly (along with those who care more primarily about type). I really like torracat, who is by far my favorite at this point, but I absolutely cannot stand the leaked final evo, so whatever happens with that could very easily by itself change my decision on who to go with my first playthrough, regardless of any other factors that would normally influence my decision.

All I'm going to say, is that if this generation's starters have split evolutions, the previous generations better all get them down the road. That is totally, bupkis.

TyLogic

Wow, I wonder what it is we don't know?

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
All I'm going to say, is that if this generation's starters have split evolutions, the previous generations better all get them down the road. That is totally, bupkis.

really? What would you want them to look/be like? I wouldn't mind some different routes on some of them, although some I think'd be hard pressed to make me like them from what they start out as.

Status
Not open for further replies.