• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bus

Yes, I could also see Decidueye with a Greninja-esque Attack and Special Attack stat spread: however, I think the signature move still indicates which of its stat is going ot be higher.

Mh, I don't know bout Incineroar. As much as I would love to see it be only physical, wouldn't the belt be useful for long-ranged Fire-type moves like Flamethrower or Fire Blast ? As for attacking opposing trainers, I don't really see it straight up punching them, but rather shooting fire from its belt as a way to startle them from afar.

Not sure. To be honest, given his personality, I feel like he'd be more likely to cup whatever fire he creates from his belt in his hand and either punch with his fist encased in flame or chuck it like a baseball at his opponents. That and seeing a flamethrower coming from that low on the body will cause countless jokes from now till the end of Poké eternity.

Seven of Arcanine

RK9 Unit Trainer
To be honest, I had thought some of the quirks in the drawings would have been cleaned up for the final products, like Litten3's poorly drawn hands. But Incineroar looks exactly like the drawing, weird hands and all.

Well, I'm more confidently in Rowlet's camp now.

Dragon Pulse

I wonder why Decidueye is Grass/Ghost. Is there any lore behind it? Does it have something to do with Robin Hood?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I wonder why Decidueye is Grass/Ghost. Is there any lore behind it? Does it have something to do with Robin Hood?
Well owls are often associated with the supernatural, but beyond that its lore doesn't really mention much regarding its Ghost typing (perhaps the reference to it being able to mask its presence).

Rowlet

Owls in many lores are considered very Ghostly in appearance

Bus

He went from being adorable im his little bowtie as a child in Rowlett, to being a popular, stuck-up hipster in Dartrix, so they decided the only solution was for him to go straight emo/goth, but he's got a heart of Gold, so he's not 'Dark, but the closest 'substitute' Ghost.

glacialcat

Something I realized about Decidueye's design I had not realized from just the concept art. The Pokemon Refresh segment shows that when it gets tired, it closes the drawstring of its hood and falls asleep.

This made me realize that Decidueye's design is likely in part inspired by falconry hoods used in training birds of prey. This likely combined with spectacle owls and the Robin Hood legend to fully inspire Decidueye's design.

Sakuraba

Whooo... Okay.... Clam down. Clam the **** down.

So....
Rowlet3 is now Decidueye.
Litten3 is now Incineroar
Popplio3 is now Primarina

It's gonna get some getting used to for me to not go back to the prototype names.

I'm surprised Decidueye actually switched types and became a Grass/Ghost. I'm not opposed to that though. Rather than having that 4x Ice weakness. And it's signature move sounds just amazing.

Incineroar is not a surprise to me. But he looks so cool. The movements, the animations, the personality.... Everything is just oozing out of this one. Shame most people will still hate on it.

Primarina (which is the easiest name for this batch actually) is really cool too. It's pretty, but it falls kinda shor compared to the other three. It's really not it's fault. None of the Water Starters have won me over the Grass and Fire so far. I still love it though.

Grey Wind

... It's part ghost? I don't think anyone saw that coming, haha. That's a welcome change though, flying adds a bunch of weaknesses and I'm interested to see where they take things lore wise. Fire/Dark is a relief too, and Water/Fairy was expected.

The models and official art definitely made me warm up to the evolutions, particularly Litten's. I have to say I love the names as well. Decidueye sounds awesome.

Soleli

So we all agree that these are the best selection of starters we've had right :D. In all seriousness i am so pleased with what we got.

.Aerodactyl.

I was really hoping the 3D models and animations would help me warm up to Inceneroar, but I actually dislike him even more. He just goes from the most cat-like cat that ever catted in Pokémon to a straight up man-wrestler. I honestly felt that could have been executed so much better than it was :/

I do really like Peimarina's eyes though! The grass/ghost typing for Decidueye is nice (that name is a mouthful though, gosh!). Wish there was a little more hint at the typing but whatever. Rowlet fans will be happy to ditch the ice weakness.

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
I am SO beyond happy that Rowlett's final evo (Decidueye) is a Grass/Ghost rogue!! I wanted this since BEFORE Rowlett was even announced.

Back when we were speculating on Chespin's final evo, I was one of the main users hoping for "Grassassin." A strong and speedy Grass type Perhaps also Steel-type to represent blades...

chespin_fakelutions_by_spyrothefox-d5qud6c.jpg

...but, we ended up getting Chesnaught. Not bad but not exactly what I had in mind. But now.....NOW, I've FINALLY got a Grass-starter who I (might) love more than Bulbasaur!!

The only way this could get any better is if his Hidden Ability is something as epic as Greninja's (but I'd honesty still be okay with Levitate to simulate flying) and his Shiny is crimson.

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I was really hoping the 3D models and animations would help me warm up to Inceneroar, but I actually dislike him even more. He just goes from the most cat-like cat that ever catted in Pokémon to a straight up man-wrestler. I honestly felt that could have been executed so much better than it was :/

I do really like Peimarina's eyes though! The grass/ghost typing for Decidueye is nice (that name is a mouthful though, gosh!). Wish there was a little more hint at the typing but whatever. Rowlet fans will be happy to ditch the ice weakness.

I agree about Incereroar. Really cool name, but I never was a wrestling fan honestly and I just don't like it at all.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I am very surprised by Decidueye's typing. I expected Grass/Flying but I much prefer Grass/Ghost. I was wanting to finalise my ORAS doubles team on SM and think Decidueye is going to take the final slot. His Spirit Shackle sounds like it would benefit my team perfectly as I use a lot of status and stat drop moves. I can't wait to hunt for a shiny one.

I really like Incineroar and I'm so happy he's not a Fighting type. His huge hands look pretty goofy but other than that I love his animations and appearance. Going to be using him in the post game too. Hope the Battle facility is available soon after the main game. He'll see a lot of use in there as I'm not an online battler.

Primarina is absolutely gorgeous. She was the one I was most excited for and she's easily my fave Gen7 Pokemon. Can't wait to use her as my starter and in the post game. Not too keen on her signature move though. When I burn something I don't want it removed. Still, Dazzling Gleam is always an option.

aerial_ace

I am some raging at the moment it is not even funny. My boy looses flying type ?? Wtf i was so excited to finally use fully flying starter but they changed it to ghost :( ghost grass is arguably better typing that grass flying but still i wanted my flying owl :( signature move sound amazing might be very useful in battles and design is still outstabding but i wish it was flying still

Orphalesion

I can't wait to see the animations in the game ^-^

I'm just sooooo glad that Primarina is really part Fairy, I was so worried that the "unexpected typings" rumor comes true and it'd end up part Ice or some nonsense.

So it's 5 non-legendary new Fairy lines this gen, not bad (even though one of them is Comfey...boo...)

Also I still don't like the design, but I'm glad Decidueye ditches the Flying type for Ghost, makes it a bit more useful I reckon.

Legendary Dreams

Count me as one of those surprised Decidueye is a Grass/Ghost. I won't deny I was confident it would stay Grass/Flying, but hey, this change is good for it both offensively (since Ghost is a good attacking type) and defensively (no more 4x weakness to ice). It doesn't change my mind over not picking Rowlet though, this Generation has quite a few interesting Ghost types so there's competition even if Decidueye turned out better than I thought.

I did say I would go for Litten if Incineroar was Fire/Dark or Fire/Poison (followed by Popplio if Primarina was Water/Fairy or Water/Psychic), since pretty much the two most predicted for each did come up, I'm going with Litten for the main game, at least.

Primarina's signature move has me confused - does it do more damage if the opponent is burned? Otherwise it's pretty much "reverse-scald" and that doesn't sound very good in my opinion. Meanwhile Incineroar's signature move is a lot more straightforward (although the animation is hilarious, Incineroar literally spins around).

Really didn't expect Decidueye to change Flying for Ghost. I like that though, Decidueye's proportion aren't fit for flight at all, although it's probably going to have some flight capability regardless.
Incineroar and Primarina were pretty much as expected. I think Incineroar's arms might look even more wonky in action, Primarina's model still makes it look unfit for land in my opinion.

Dragon Pulse

He went from being adorable im his little bowtie as a child in Rowlett, to being a popular, stuck-up hipster in Dartrix, so they decided the only solution was for him to go straight emo/goth, but he's got a heart of Gold, so he's not 'Dark, but the closest 'substitute' Ghost.

Rowlet's line really did go through a wild ride. You'd never even have guessed that it would become Grass/Ghost if you just looked at Rowlet. That's why I like this line so much. It's unique.

Sallin

Huh, wasn't expecting Ghost, but I guess the Rowlet line are Barn Owls.

From Wikipedia:

The bird is known by many common names which refer to its appearance, call, habitat, or its eerie, silent flight: white owl, silver owl, demon owl, ghost owl, death owl, night owl, rat owl, church owl, cave owl, stone owl, monkey-faced owl, hissing owl, hobgoblin or hobby owl, dobby owl, white-breasted owl, golden owl, scritch owl, screech owl, straw owl, barnyard owl, and delicate owl.

Status
Not open for further replies.