• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
It isn't the greatest type in a vacuum because they don't defensively synergize well, outside of losing Grass's bug weakness thanks to Ghost. But it is better defensively than Grass/Flying because it lacks a x4 weakness and a Stealth Rocks weakness. Offensively Ghost/Grass is a good type combo, very few Pokemon resist the Combo. This is less because it is a good type combo and more because Ghost is just a good offensive type in general, only being resisted by Dark and with only Normal types immune to it.

This means that Decidueye's STABs are only resisted by a select few Pokemon:
Grass/Normal
Grass/Dark
Bug/Normal
Bug/Dark
Fire/Normal
Fire/Dark
Poison/Normal
Poison/Dark
Dragon/Normal
Dragon/Dark
Steel/Normal
Steel/Dark
I see. Thank you!

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Huh, wasn't expecting Ghost, but I guess the Rowlet line are Barn Owls.

From Wikipedia:

The bird is known by many common names which refer to its appearance, call, habitat, or its eerie, silent flight: white owl, silver owl, demon owl, ghost owl, death owl, night owl, rat owl, church owl, cave owl, stone owl, monkey-faced owl, hissing owl, hobgoblin or hobby owl, dobby owl, white-breasted owl, golden owl, scritch owl, screech owl, straw owl, barnyard owl, and delicate owl.

Yep, and a bit of the brown wood owl, which helps explain the Grass-Typing, and lends it the red eyes and hood:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...wood_owl_arp.jpg/800px-Brown_wood_owl_arp.jpg

Also, why is my girl Primarina being left out? She's the only one of the bunch whose signature move matches their primary type.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
OMG YES. I'M GLAD IT'S NOT FIGHTING TYPE. THAT'S THE ONE THING I DIDN'T WANT TO BE REAL. HATERS CAN LEAVE NOW.

I'm now 100% on getting Litten. Thank you Gamefreak doing for this! Even though it's design looks like a obvious fighter mon. Incineroar!

I'm also shocked at Decidueye. Grass/Ghost, who would have thought of that?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Incineroar.....

Yes give me now I want it to hug.

Oh and when you stroke it, it winks at you.

I love this f**king game.

Incineroar is fine and all, but we know it is, and always shall be,

ROARMANFLAME

Orphalesion

Primarina is love, Primarina is life.

Finally a water starter I absolutely adore.

For me it's: Finally a starter I absolutely adore haha

With the starters in past generations I only had them because you have to choose a starter, if they had been wild pokemon instead I wouldn't have used them. But Primarina? If she was wild I'd catch her without the shadow of a doubt.

Also, aside from the "attacking the opposite trainer" part doesn't Incineroar's blurb sound...pretty honourable for a "dark" pokemon? It craves the admiration of small pokemon and children, doesn't like to fight those weaker than itself... Doesn't exactly sound like a "dirty" fighter.

Last edited:

glacialcat

For me it's: Finally a starter I absolutely adore haha

With the starters in past generations I only had them because you have to choose a starter, if they had been wild pokemon instead I wouldn't have used them. But Primarina? If she was wild I'd catch her without the shadow of a doubt.

Also, aside from the "attacking the opposite trainer" part doesn't Incineroar's blurb sound...pretty honourable for a "dark" pokemon? It craves the admiration of small pokemon and children, doesn't like to fight those weaker than itself... Doesn't exactly sound like a "dirty" fighter.

Craving admiration isn't really something a Fighting-type Pokemon does. It implies that the reason you fight isn't because you're fighting for a cause, or even simply to master an artform. It's kind of a selfish reason to fight. You're fighting for admiration, basically just fighting for your ego. Sounds like a perfectly acceptable motivation for a Dark-type to me.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
The fact that Decidueye(sp?) is Grass/Ghost is really relieving, since it'll no longer be hampered by a common 4x weakness, unlike Torterra. It still has an Ice weakness though, so I'm hoping it'll be able to learn Steel Wing.

Dragon Pulse

I can kinda see that Decidueye is also based on the extinct prehistoric owl, the Cuban giant owl. They couldn't fly, so it's possible that Decidueye lost its Flying type due to that too. It is interesting though.

Ver-mont

OMG YES. I'M GLAD IT'S NOT FIGHTING TYPE. THAT'S THE ONE THING I DIDN'T WANT TO BE REAL. HATERS CAN LEAVE NOW.

I'm now 100% on getting Litten. Thank you Gamefreak doing for this! Even though it's design looks like a obvious fighter mon. Incineroar!

I'm also shocked at Decidueye. Grass/Ghost, who would have thought of that?

You and me both, I'm very glad it's not Fighting

It looks like a fighter, but I think it's because it's supposed to be a heel, a villain wrestler.

A few people speculated Ghost because of its relation to shadows and darkness, which seem very fitting for Decidueye

Bus

Now that everything is known, I suppose this is now just the 'Starter Discussion Thread' since there's no more speculation to be had lol.

Dragon Pulse

Thing is, I feel like they should've made Decidueye a little more darker in coloration and added more "ghostly" touches in its design.

Squirtortoise

Ok this trailer somehow made me completely on board with all the starters. First time since gen IV. I'm so ready for this game.

And just like that, we have 2 more Water/Fairy types. I can't say I'm stoked about Primarina's new move because I'm not big on double battles and whatnot, but considering the Battle Tree is a thing, it could be pretty helpful. I think I've decided on Primarina especially now that typing is confirmed, but man Decidueye looks cool, I'll definitely choose it if I end up getting the other version of the games eventually. Seeing the starters in-game and in motion makes them so much more appealing compared to seeing them in the leak.

Btw.. How exactly would you guys say Decidueye is pronounced? It's kind of odd. I instinctively read it as "Deh-sih-dew-eye" but maybe it's supposed to sound like "decide"? Also I'm guessing Primarina is based on "prim" and "marina"? Prim as in "being prim and proper". Incineroar is self-explanatory.

glacialcat

I can kinda see that Decidueye is also based on the extinct prehistoric owl, the Cuban giant owl. They couldn't fly, so it's possible that Decidueye lost its Flying type due to that too. It is interesting though.

Please no. We really need to stop these "Starters are all themed after an increasingly convoluted set of rules that only work in a world where foxes are dogs, all snakes are Titanoboa, and a scaly hand is brass knuckles."

EDIT:
Btw.. How exactly would you guys say Decidueye is pronounced? It's kind of odd. I instinctively read it as "Deh-sih-dew-eye" but maybe it's supposed to sound like "decide"? Also I'm guessing Primarina is based on "prim" and "marina"? Prim as in "being prim and proper". Incineroar is self-explanatory.

Decidueye is deciduous + eye. So the first way you said it is probably right. Primarina is probably more based on Prima + Marina, as in "Prima donna" or "Prima ballerina."

Last edited:

Ver-mont

Ok this trailer somehow made me completely on board with all the starters. First time since gen IV. I'm so ready for this game.

And just like that, we have 2 more Water/Fairy types. I can't say I'm stoked about Primarina's new move because I'm not big on double battles and whatnot, but considering the Battle Tree is a thing, it could be pretty helpful. I think I've decided on Primarina especially now that typing is confirmed, but man Decidueye looks cool, I'll definitely choose it if I end up getting the other version of the games eventually. Seeing the starters in-game and in motion makes them so much more appealing compared to seeing them in the leak.

Decidueye comes from deciduous, trees that lose their leaves in winter. So it's pronunced as "see"

Raxacoricofallapatorius

Exalted Meme Junkie
Decidueye! I would've been content with Grass/Flying throughout the entire evolutionary line, but Grass/Ghost is like having an arguably more impressive Gourgeist or Trevenant. I'm into it, plus the design is sweet.

I'm conflicted though. Primarina is gorgeous, and the secondary Fairy typing would be advantageous. Hm.

As for Incineroar, meh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.