• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Missingno.Fan

I think the theme the starters have are Beauty, Brains, and Brawn. Theme or no theme, I'm just glad that Incinaroar is Fire/Dark instead of Fire/Fighting. That would be a huge let down if it was. Also raise your hand if you were expecting Decidueye to be Grass/Ghost (or anything other than Grass/Flying).

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
Does this make a male Primarina a Primario ? A Primarimo, like the algae ball?

*chuckles*

Awwww man, I love them all so much, outstanding gen. My Litten's going to be 'Gao', no doubt.

shadowF

so with all this new information today which of the starters do you guys think will be OU?

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
Hopefully Primarina can learn some ground type moves to help it against Electric and Poison types which it's both weak to as I assume like most Water-types it will learn Ice Beam which will help it against Grass types.

Aquaslash

Oh my stars, great StarClan, sweet Celestia, and the like! Primarina is so beautiful! I just love its description and how it looks in the game! My decision was made long before this day and now when Swampert comes to the Alola region, he'll have a great friend to enjoy it with. ;260;

glacialcat

so with all this new information today which of the starters do you guys think will be OU?

This is the sort of question that's kind of impossible to answer before we get our hands on the game and the meta evolves, much less before we have a full understanding of movepools, stats, and hidden abilities. I wouldn't even necessarily say any of them are likely to be OU, but based just on the typings Primarina has an advantage. Water and Fairy are both very good types, offensively the STAB combo is hard to resist and defensively it only has 3 weaknesses and quite a few resistances.Neither Fire/Dark nor Grass/Ghost are particularly amazing typings, but both have very good neutral STAB coverage.

Decidueye has the best signature move of the bunch, assuming its power is around ~80 BP it'll be a fantastic attack, and that alone could propel Decidueye up the ranks. Neither Incineroar's nor Primarina's signature attacks are likely to be used over Knock Off or Scald, but admittedly those two moves are always fantastic when backed by STAB.

All in all we're still too far out to make any real guesses however.

Last edited:

knightwolf09

I really am glad I stuck with Litten through and through. Incineroar seems like a real bro. And I'm glad a lot more people a finally warming up to him. So to speak.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I LOVE this batch of starters. For me it goes Primarina, Incineroar, then the bird. Primarina is BY FAR by favorite starter pokemon EVER, it is flawless and has an amazing typing. Incineroar is also one of my favorites.

But I was REALLY surprised that the bird is a ghost type instead of flying. Did that shock anyone else? Has a starter lost its secondary typing like that before?

glacialcat

I LOVE this batch of starters. For me it goes Primarina, Incineroar, then the bird. Primarina is BY FAR by favorite starter pokemon EVER, it is flawless and has an amazing typing. Incineroar is also one of my favorites.

But I was REALLY surprised that the bird is a ghost type instead of flying. Did that shock anyone else? Has a starter lost its secondary typing like that before?

I did think it was possible that Decidueye would lose its /Flying... but I was still betting on Grass/Flying. And even when I thought about what it could possibly lose its typing for, /Ghost was no where near the top of my list. I'd of guessed /Ground, /Dark, /Fighting, tons of things before /Ghost. That was very surprising.

And no, this has never happened before, unless you want to count Charizard (Fire/Flying) > Mega Charizard X (Fire/Dragon). But then again Rowlet is only the second starter that had a subtype from its first evolution (the other being Bulbasaur) so there's not a lot of room for comparison.

TRG

My jaw dropped when I saw Grass/Ghost in the trailer. Rowlet might be my favorite Grass starter of all time.

Bus

I'm interested in seeing a new poll as well. I feel like the breakdown is going to pretty much be the same though. The percentages may differ, but it'll probably be Decidueye, Inciniroar, Primarina.

Bluemiracle

Biologist
Just to say, I didn't get the idea why Primarina's signature move would heal the burn of the opponent. Incineroar and Deicudeye's are preventing opponent to do something, while it leaves Primarina to hand over the advantage to the opposing party.

My thoughts exactly

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I did think it was possible that Decidueye would lose its /Flying... but I was still betting on Grass/Flying. And even when I thought about what it could possibly lose its typing for, /Ghost was no where near the top of my list. I'd of guessed /Ground, /Dark, /Fighting, tons of things before /Ghost. That was very surprising.

And no, this has never happened before, unless you want to count Charizard (Fire/Flying) > Mega Charizard X (Fire/Dragon). But then again Rowlet is only the second starter that had a subtype from its first evolution (the other being Bulbasaur) so there's not a lot of room for comparison.

That is true, but still cool for it to go from being a Grass/Flying when you first get it, to knowing you will have a Grass/Ghost by the end of it. Seems strange because you basically lose a pokemon (that gets flying STAB) then swap it with another one (that gets ghost STAB).

Also, weird that they gave the starter pokemon (primarina) and a supposed legendary (tapu fini) the same type combination

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend
Gotta love how Decidueye traded it's 4x Ice weakness for two weaknesses to Ghost and Dark. Meaning that Incineroar can hit it super effectively regardless of it's used move being Fire or Dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.