• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I was expecting the starters' secret to be revealed with them. I am thinking it may be in the next CoroCoro, however.

Do keep in mind that CoroCoro tends to be melodramatic as well. It's entirely possible the "secret" is their evolutions. I'm not trying to rule out the possibility of something like unique Z-moves, mind you, but don't be entirely surprised if nothing comes of CoroCoro's hyperbole.

sandtreamftw

On and Off Trainer
I'm still mindblown that we've known about these final evolutions for so long. I don't envy the person that let them slip through.

Do keep in mind that CoroCoro tends to be melodramatic as well. It's entirely possible the "secret" is their evolutions. I'm not trying to rule out the possibility of something like unique Z-moves, mind you, but don't be entirely surprised if nothing comes of CoroCoro's hyperbole.
That's how I interpreted it as well.

knightwolf09

I'm still mindblown that we've known about these final evolutions for so long. I don't envy the person that let them slip through.

I could been a simple mess up because it is a new animation crew for the anime, so I guess they didn't have their guards up when it comes to potential leakers so they probably underestimated leakers.

Baggie_Saiyan

You can check the Datamine Thread to find out the shiny forms of the starters.

Shiny models got leaked aswell? Interesting I think I'll hold off anyway until I've completed my firstt play through of the games.

Edit- Will gender ratios be different then? Getting a male Poplio will feel a bit odd.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Edit- Will gender ratios be different then? Getting a male Poplio will feel a bit odd.
Given how the gender ratios for Delphox/Meganium (even though I think the latter could slide) didn't get changed, I doubt it.

Baggie_Saiyan

Given how the gender ratios for Delphox/Meganium (even though I think the latter could slide) didn't get changed, I doubt it.

Hm but this has to be the most out there in terms of gender for all starters right? I just can't see anything male in Primarina from the name design and a lot of folks already refer to it as her. Idk but Sun and Moon has made most changes of any gen so who knows.
I'm curious has to why the gender of the staters weren't 50/50, harder to breed and get egg moves?

Hm but this has to be the most out there in terms of gender for all starters right? I just can't see anything male in Primarina from the name design and a lot of folks already refer to it as her. Idk but Sun and Moon has made most changes of any gen so who knows.
I'm curious has to why the gender of the staters weren't 50/50, harder to breed and get egg moves?

IMO, that's exactly what it is. Its more of a holdover from the first 3 gens.

On top of that, until you can find a ditto (which is either late game or post game), you are incapable of breeding unless you have a female. Having the ratio favor males makes it more difficult to get all three starters, and if you do get a female, then it encourages breeding and trading with other players around the world.

But considering that the Pokemon games have had online capabilities since 4th gen, I feel that the ratio for starters (and Eevee) should be brought down to 50/50. There is nothing stopping a player from going online as soon as they boot up the game and catch at least one other Pokemon. Or for that matter, just depositing their starter in Pokebank, restarting the game for a different starter, rinse and repeat.

glacialcat

This seems to be the case. The vast majority (not all, but the majority) of Pokemon with a 7/8 male:female ratio are Pokemon you receive from one-time events in-game when they were first introduced, and it would seem they make them mostly male to reduce the chance you could breed them and thus reduce their "Specialness."

Pokemon with 7/8 Male:Female ratio:
All Starters
All Fossils
Eevee's line
Togepi's line (originally given out as a single egg)
Snorlax
Riolu line (originally given out as a single egg)
Zorua (originally Zorua required an event to capture).

Only real exceptions are the Unova Elemental Monkeys (you do recieve one as a one-time gift, but you can catch them in the wild too) and Combee (though Combee has it's own gimmick as to why it's 7/8ths male). EDIT: Oh and Relicanth too. No real explanation for that one.

Last edited:

SKyLineR32

Master Weasel

That's literally it. Eevee and fossil Pokemon have the 87.5% male ratio for the same reason. Just like starters, they are one of a kind Pokemon, so this is to keep them rare. But it's a really pointless restriction now that should be dropped.

The Pokemon that are truly mostly male/female have the 75% ratio like Machamp and Gothitelle.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I don't ever want to see a male Primarina in the game.

And why is that ?
Do all the starters have to be man-dudes like Incineroar to be seen in the game ?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
By the looks of your team, you probably won't see one unless you don't SR for a female.

And why is that ?
Do all the starters have to be man-dudes like Incineroar to be seen in the game ?
... I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant.

john90

I just need that moment to happen. That moment when a Water/Fairy Milotic will invade the metagame and everyone who sees it will think: "Oh God, please, not it". In that moment no one will care anymore about its gender but only about its burn after the Aurora Veil is up.

Last edited:

Skyknight

IMO, that's exactly what it is. Its more of a holdover from the first 3 gens.

On top of that, until you can find a ditto (which is either late game or post game), you are incapable of breeding unless you have a female. Having the ratio favor males makes it more difficult to get all three starters, and if you do get a female, then it encourages breeding and trading with other players around the world.

But considering that the Pokemon games have had online capabilities since 4th gen, I feel that the ratio for starters (and Eevee) should be brought down to 50/50. There is nothing stopping a player from going online as soon as they boot up the game and catch at least one other Pokemon. Or for that matter, just depositing their starter in Pokebank, restarting the game for a different starter, rinse and repeat.

Well, GameFreak does seem to like their artefacts. I get the feeling retconning is some sort of dire sin to them (Lickilicky evolving in a way it technically should have been able to do in G2 was probably an oversight).

sunny phoenix

where are the people who were so against rowlets final evo being fighting as it wasnt making 0 sense.. yet he is a ghost now ahhahaha

WyvernTamer

I'm really feeling all 3 starters this time around ! I haven't liked all the starters equally since Gen 2.
With that being said I hope all of them are great for competitive play as well. Gaogaen hoping you get a great movepool stat distribution and hidden ability

Status
Not open for further replies.