• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroBR

We're back to the "Primarina should be mostly/only female" nonsense?
First, they're virtual animals. There's no point in applying arbitrary human gender stereotypes to them (I know even GF has done it a few times, but that's not the majority of cases).
Second, we've had tons of "male looking" Pokémons that could be female, as well as "female looking" Pokémons that could be male. I can't see what's the big deal this time.
Third, if you don't like it, don't choose it. Simple. Or at least soft-reset 'till you get what you want.
And as a last little thing: those gender norms don't make much sense, even for humans. Get over it.

Back on-topic:
Didn't know about that reason for the 7:1 ratio, interesting. Although there isn't much point to that anymore, right? They really should just make 1:1. It's not like they haven't changed way more major things thins gen.

TRG

Decidiueye will undoubtedly be competitively viable. Fast speed + an attacking move that traps opponents is a dangerous combination. As far as the other 2 I can see Primarina being good if it has good bulk. Water/Fairy is fantastic typing and Scald will always remain one of the most dangerous attacking moves in the game if it retains its high burn chance. Incineroar will be a bit of a question mark since Fire types in general tend to struggle in competitive settings due to Stealth Rocks. Infernape and Blazekin were the only competitively viable Fire starters for a while until Charizard got a Mega.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Decidiueye will undoubtedly be competitively viable. Fast speed + an attacking move that traps opponents is a dangerous combination. As far as the other 2 I can see Primarina being good if it has good bulk. Water/Fairy is fantastic typing and Scald will always remain one of the most dangerous attacking moves in the game if it retains its high burn chance. Incineroar will be a bit of a question mark since Fire types in general tend to struggle in competitive settings due to Stealth Rocks. Infernape and Blazekin were the only competitively viable Fire starters for a while until Charizard got a Mega.

Game freak balances for doubles so it is hard to say. If it has at least base 100 speed, it will be good I think.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
If the gender ratios are purely there to keep them rare for breeding reasons (even though you can soft-reset the start of the game until you get a female anyway), why wouldn't you instead just go down the BW2 route and just put the breeding place in late-game/post-game? I mean, it's not like breeding is needed to progress through the main game at all.

TRG

I mean, it's not like breeding is needed to progress through the main game at all.

No but a lot of people rely on early game breeding to get Pokemon of their preferred Nature instead of catching them over and over in the wild, and also to duplicate higher leveled Pokemon that are revived through trades or the Pokemon Bank. I'd be against a late-game breeding location.

Basically, the earlier you can breed and offer stuff, the better. And its easier to do with a female starter. During like the first two weeks of release, a female starter will allow you to get a lot of valuable mon early.

glacialcat

I personally would like them to make all starter Pokemon (and most of the other 7/8th males, aside from Combee) 50/50 male/female. Yes, including Popplio.

Hope they do it, but doubt they will.

Azery

I personally would like them to make all starter Pokemon (and most of the other 7/8th males, aside from Combee) 50/50 male/female. Yes, including Popplio.

Hope they do it, but doubt they will.

There'd actually be a problem with that. Let's say you transfer over a Pokemon from gen 6 with the old gender ratio, there's now a chance it might swap genders because the gender ratio was changed.

Then again they did it with Azurill > Marill before so.....

Everlasting

Everything stays.
There'd actually be a problem with that. Let's say you transfer over a Pokemon from gen 6 with the old gender ratio, there's now a chance it might swap genders because the gender ratio was changed.

I believe the Azurill/Marill problem was corrected in generation VI. I don't think it would be an issue to worry about if they did the same with starters.

glacialcat

Actually they fixed that problem. In G6 they made it so that a Pokemon retains its current gender even if it's gender ratio changes, specifically to deal with that problem. As of X/Y female Azurills evolve into female Marills 100% of the time, instead of 1/3rd of them becoming males.

So they can definitely change gender ratios without changing an individual's gender now.

Though I'd be all for a clown fish Pokemon that changes from male to female once it evolves, that would be fun.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Actually they fixed that problem. In G6 they made it so that a Pokemon retains its current gender even if it's gender ratio changes, specifically to deal with that problem. As of X/Y female Azurills evolve into female Marills 100% of the time, instead of 1/3rd of them becoming males.

So they can definitely change gender ratios without changing an individual's gender now.

Though I'd be all for a clown fish Pokemon that changes from male to female once it evolves, that would be fun.

Or what about a Sponge? (Not really sure if it's in the same category)

I can see where people who think Primarina should be predominantly female are coming from, and I agree. However, in all 21 starter final evolutions, it doesn't really hurt to see one feminine one in the group. (The other feminine ones are more gender neutral to me)

glacialcat

Or what about a Sponge? (Not really sure if it's in the same category)

I can see where people who think Primarina should be predominantly female are coming from, and I agree. However, in all 21 starter final evolutions, it doesn't really hurt to see one feminine one in the group. (The other feminine ones are more gender neutral to me)

Sort of. Most sponges are both male and female (simultaneous hermaphroditism). Clown fish change sex over their life. When the female of a breeding pair dies, the male becomes a female and the next largest clownfish in the colony becomes a male. Could be sort of neat for a Pokemon clown fish to start as 100% male, then become 100% female upon evolution.

And there is definitely no problem with having feminine starters. I just don't think just because it is feminine that necessitates it be female. I'd rather the starters just all have relatively even gender ratios... it can make it annoying when you specifically want your starter to be of one gender when you start your journey. Had to reset a lot for female Fennekin and Oshawott.

TyLogic

And there is definitely no problem with having feminine starters. I just don't think just because it is feminine that necessitates it be female. I'd rather the starters just all have relatively even gender ratios... it can make it annoying when you specifically want your starter to be of one gender when you start your journey. Had to reset a lot for female Fennekin and Oshawott.

Yeah, makes sense. Even gender ratios would be best. However, having it be predominantly female wouldn't be that bad. It's not like women don't play Pokemon. If I'm correct, In Red and Blue, Red was the only character. There was no female protagonist (Though, evidence shows that they probably wanted there to be one). I don't think having a starter designed to appeal more to female players is a bad thing.

knightwolf09

Can I get an opinion? I'm a bit torn of what I want to nickname my Litten. I came up with the names Coal and Blackjack, but I don't know which one fits better. What do you guys think?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Can I get an opinion? I'm a bit torn of what I want to nickname my Litten. I came up with the names Coal and Blackjack, but I don't know which one fits better. What do you guys think?

Blackjack, for sure. It has a very nice ring to it, and I think it could suit Roarmanflame rather well.

I'm going with Wildcat or T'Challa (if male), or Shuri (if female) myself.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I really don't care too much what gender my starters are, I never use them for very long anyways.

That being said, Decidueye appeals to me greatly and I fully intend to use it as a starting point for my first Gen 7 competitive team, assuming its stats aren't completely terrible.

Sakuraba

Blackjack, for sure. It has a very nice ring to it, and I think it could suit Roarmanflame rather well.

I'm going with Wildcat or T'Challa (if male), or Shuri (if female) myself.

Blackjack is a really cool name. But for Incineroar I'm going with Inci.

Decidueye is probably gonna be named Deci. And Primarina probably Rina.

Status
Not open for further replies.