• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
I think you missed my edit. Tigers are muscular in general, very muscular, and they also have huge paws as well. So it's makes sense to the actual animal, if not a bit exaggerated to fit it's theme.

They also wrestle in real life and are known for powerful punches that can cave in the skulls of other animals.

TyLogic

They also wrestle in real life and are known for powerful punches that can cave in the skulls of other animals.

How do you punch without hands? Wouldn't that be a smack or swipe?
I was so confused when they said that Torracat could dish out "cat punches."

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Not all girls like girly Pokemon, and it goes back to the belief some fans have that the starters should always be gender neutral to appeal to more people.

I'm a girl and I prefer masculine starter evolutions like Incineroar, but I think Decidueye is a good middle ground since it looks gender neutral. That and it has an interesting type combination, which I wasn't expecting honestly. I thought it'd be grass/flying ha ha. :3

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
This is the first time in 20 years that I will be choosing a grass pokémon to begin my adventure. That final evolution is Sweet!

You know what, that brings up an interesting point. I've known people who always choose Fire, or Water, or (in rarer cases) Grass. Similarly, I've known people who have never picked a Starter of a certain Type, like you.

Me, I've been pretty even in terms of my favorite Starters: 2 Grass, 2 Fire, 3 Water.

So, what I'm wondering is, given that I've seen a lot of people go routes they normally wouldn't after the reveals of these final Evos, what kind of track record does everyone have with Starters, and did these Starters change their streaks?

For me, this is my third Generation in which the Water Starter is my favorite. Popplio is adorable, and I love the progression into Primarina.

glacialcat

I picked the Fire starter as my first choice for every generation until 5. Though admittedly my 8 year old self gave up on Misty with Charmeleon and restarted and picked Bulbasaur, Charmander was still my first choice. The only reason I even picked Chimchar was because it was a Fire-type, because I kind of... hated every G4 started (Infernape grew on me over time, it's okay now). Then I picked Oshawott, and then Fennekin, and I was planning to pick Rowlet since the starter reveals.

Though these are not the same as my current favorites lines for each gen. Currently those are: Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treeko, Chimchar, Snivy (I actually like Oshawott more, but the I don't like Samurott so the Snivy line is overall better for me), Fennekin, and Rowlet.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
My current track record on starters is-

Gen 1: Fire
Gen 2: Grass
Gen 3: Water
Gen 4: Water
Gen 5: Water/Grass (can't decide)
Gen 6: Water
Gen 7: Fire

So... Yeah, Incineroar basically killed my streak of Water starters. Heck, Incineroar marks the first time I'm even getting the Fire starter since gen 1.

future.newyorker

My starter streak has changed so much over the years:

Kanto - Charmander/Squirtle (I start with the two equally)
Johto - Cyndaquil
Hoenn - Treecko (only to make my rival have Torchic. I never use my starter in Hoenn)
Sinnoh - Turtwig
Unova - Oshawott/Snivy (I usually use both in a playthrough)
Kalos - Fennekin
Alola - Rowlet

Genos

The Indigo Disk
My current track record on starters is-

Gen 1: Fire
Gen 2: Grass
Gen 4: Water
Gen 5: Water/Grass (can't decide)

So... Yeah, Incineroar basically killed my streak of Water starters. Heck, Incineroar marks the first time I'm even getting the Fire starter since gen 1.
Same here. My last fire starter was Cyndaquil.

Gen 1: Water
Gen 2: Fire
Gen 4: Grass
Gen 5: Grass

Been a long time.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
It's interesting to see the variety here, and that, after the initial hate, Incineroarmanflame von Liftenstein is converting long time non-Fire pickers.

My favorites, since I didn't say exactly what they were last time, are:

Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Treecko (but I did pick Torchic my first time through, since I was having trouble picking a favorite at the time)
Gen 4: Chimchar
Gen 5: Oshawott
Gen 6: Chespin
Gen 7: Popplio

I am surprised we haven't seen any Primarina love quite yet. I know it converted a lot of people over to Team Popplio when it was officially revealed.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
You know what, that brings up an interesting point. I've known people who always choose Fire, or Water, or (in rarer cases) Grass. Similarly, I've known people who have never picked a Starter of a certain Type, like you.

Me, I've been pretty even in terms of my favorite Starters: 2 Grass, 2 Fire, 3 Water.

So, what I'm wondering is, given that I've seen a lot of people go routes they normally wouldn't after the reveals of these final Evos, what kind of track record does everyone have with Starters, and did these Starters change their streaks?

For me, this is my third Generation in which the Water Starter is my favorite. Popplio is adorable, and I love the progression into Primarina.

Gen 1: charmander (definitely my favorite, though I like the other lines too, but not so much their final evolutions)
Gen 2: cyndaquil (definitely my favorite, although I also like the grass line. totadile is cute too, but I hate its evos)
Gen 3: treeko (I've actually never played a gen 3 game, but this would be what I would pick if I ever did, since it's final evo is by far my favorite out of the three, although not my favorite starter ever. For the first form, though, I like mudkip the best, though I think its evos are ugly. I despise the torchic line.)
Gen 4: ? (I didn't like any of the final forms here. I picked turtwig on my playthrough, and was subsequently disappointed when it went ugly... I can tolerate grass and water final evos, although I don't really like them, but I hate the chimchar line
Gen 5: snivy/osshawott (I actually picked oshawatt on my only playthrough of this gen, thinking samurott would be better than serperior (haha... ha...), and while I do like samurott's design, which grew on me more after my decision, I still do like serperior... I don't know if I can really choose between them. Not my favorite starters ever, though.)
Gen 6: froakie (I didn't really like how any of the starters ended up here again, and picked froakie as the most tolerable of the three. I think I boxed it, though, as I waited until pokemon bank was out and brought over a team for my first playthrough. I was really dissapointed with delphox, although it's grown to be a bit more tolerable to me. I had wished it would end up more like ninetails. I just really hate the bipedal humanoid fire starters thing. It's when I stopped liking them...)
Gen 7: rowlett? (my favorite of all the evos is torracat, though incineroar is my least favorite starter form ever. I despise it. Why?! Why?!!! I don't like popplio, and I hated primarina when it first leaked, but primarina has since grown on me, and while it's not one of my favorites, I can appreciate it decently and don't hate it anymore by any means. Might even pick it or otherwise use it sometime, depending on how many playthroughs I do and how good it is. Thank goodness it didn't evolve into some of those creepy clown fanarts. The water spider is enough nightmare-fuel. (Although, funnily enough I've been thinking lately I might actually use that spider, despite it creeping me out, and name it after the Phantom Troupe from Hunter x Hunter.) Of the final evos, decidueye is probably my favorite, although I really think a darker color scheme would have been more fitting for it. Will definitely have to breed a shiny for it. Still not my favorite ever, but it seems pretty cool and I'm happy with it. But poor litten... ;_;)

Edit: my favorite forms overall are probably charizard and quilava, both fire types. Charizard's a freaking dragon and quilava's freaking adorable and I want to hug it! then the humanoid bipedal often fighting or fighting-esque set in and fire types became my least favorite starters...

Last edited:

goodpeople25

Pretty much always the Grass type for me. (For a first playthrough, favourite wise alot of sets I like pretty much the same but if I have a clear favourite it's a grass type, and stuff like green bieng my fav colour and my first Pokemon bieng [guess] I go with the grass type) only first playthrough I didn't chose the grass type was my first (and only) run of johto (on an original silver I had somehow, after HGSS came out not sure exactly when though.) where I went water, but I technically chose bayleaf earlier in colosseum.

DrakeKoryu

For me it was like this:
1st Gen: Fire. Charmander was cool for me and Charizard was so great.
2nd Gen: Water. Totodile was really cute in my eyes and Feraligatr was a beast.
3rd Gen: Water. Mudkip just seemed a little bit weird and I picked it just because of that, Swampert ended up being amazing though.
4th Gen: Fire. Chimchar was too cute to be ignored, and I really liked it, Infernape was so cool.
5th Gen: Water. Oshawott was so derp that I just have to pick it, although Samurott ended up being my favorite of them.
6th Gen: Grass. There is something about Chespin that make me pick grass starter for the first time, and I was glad with Chesnaught.
7th Gen: Grass. Rowlet was my pick when I first saw the three of them, an owl, and then Decidueye enters and makes it perfect, a ghost starter, for real :D.

So pretty much I can say is well-rounded :p

Sakuraba

Well.... my choices over the years aren't a secret. Aside from Gen 2 and 5 where I chose the Fire-Starter, I've picked only Grass. Yes, I'm one of those weird guys that likes the Grass starters more. Even when they weren't my first choice, they were my second. So it goes:

Gen 1: Bulbasaur - Charmander - Squirtle
Gen 2: Cyndaquil - Chikorita - Totodile
Gen 3: Treecko - Torchick - Mudkip
Gen 4: Turtwig - Chimchar - Piplup
Gen 5: Tepig - Snivy - Oshawott
Gen 6: Chespin - Fennekin - Froakie
Gen 7: Rowlet - Litten - Popplio

The worst part is I don't dislike any of the Water starters. Nor do I choose simply based on type. I just like the Grass better. Occasionally I pick Fire first, but it's kinda of rare.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 2: Totodile
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 5: Snivy/Oshawott
Gen 6: Froakie
Gen 7: Litten

Looking at this list, I was surprised that I only have one Fire type that ended up being my overall go-to choice, and it didn't happen until now. Fire starters do tend to be my second favorite though, with Torchic even just barely losing to Treecko, so usually if I'm not playing with my favorite option they tend to be right behind them. As for the others, every other generation was pretty much switching off between Grass and Water.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
As Grass is one of my favorite types, I almost always start with the Grass starter. Gen 6 and 7 are the only ones that I've not wanted to start with the Grass starter, and only because Dark is my favorite type, so I started with Froakie in 6 and will start with Litten in 7. That aside, it's always been Grass first.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Gen1-All three are honestly fine, but Squirtle was always my favorite.

Gen2-I used to kind of go back and forth between totodile and cyndaquil, but I definitely would say totodile overall now.

Gen3-Another case of going back and forth between treecko and mudkip. Long term though I would say treecko just slightly and the tie breaker is mega sceptile

Gen4-I like all 3 and all of their evolutions and it's close, but I will say chimchar here because infernape is tpo badass regardless of fire/fighting. Empoleon and torterra are great too

Gen5-I like all three first stages, but dont like samurott or emboar. Well samurott on its own is kind of eh but bad as an evolution. So snivy by default.

Gen6-Froakie....my favorite starter/favorite evolution line ever. Easiest gen to pick.

Gen7-really liked all three first stages from the start. Ive alrrady made clear what I think of incineroar though. Primarina.....seeing it in game made it grow on me a little bit because it honestly looks pretty nice in battle. Decidueye is absolutely my favorite though so rowlet

So overall
-3 water
-3 grass
-1 fire
Yea I guess I just dont like the fire starters too much.

KKS-Lapras

I always chose the water type as my starter. Gen 7 is the first time from the beginning I felt like I wouldn't go that route. Gen 5 I almost went with Snivy but ended up sticking with my water type tradition. This time though, I'm going with Rowlet, it is the most unique starter to me since Empoleon, Greninja was pretty interesting to, but Empoleon just felt different.

Vector88

If we go gen by gen, then this is my starter history:

Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Totodile
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 5: Tepig
Gen 6: Froakie

And when I get the next game, I'll go with Litten. I realize now that my choices through time seem to be pretty even with water and fire types. Only Treecko broke that cycle

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.