• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunsurge

.:Judgement:.
Guess I'll join in.

Gen 1 - Squirtle: I love the little turtle, and Wartortle was amazing when I was a kid. Blastoise is still one of my favorites (and it was the first pokemon I got to lv. 100)
Gen 2 - Totodile: This guy was AWESOME. He took on the entire elite 4 single handedly as a Feraligatr.
Gen 3 - Mudkip: This gen is harder, as I didn't really like ANY of the 3 final evolutions, but Mudkip always won. Though now I'd say Treeko.
Gen 4 - Turtwig: The first gen I chose NOT a water starter. Turtwig was my baby for whatever reason.
Gen 5 - Snivy: LOVED Serperior, so Snivy was an easy choice. It was also the second time I chose the grass starter, but it's probably one of my favorites.
Gen 6 - Froakie: I almost chose Chespin, like it was SO close, but Greninja was better than Chesnaught to me, so back to water.
Gen 7 - Rowlett: I mean ... come on. WHY NOT? So back to the grass starter.

It's weird. I've NEVER chosen the fire starter. Not that I don't like them, but I think water and grass always appeal to me WAY more. Though this might be the first gen I would NOT choose the water starter in any capacity. Weird.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Favorites:

Gen 1: Charmander - I love dragons, so Charmander has to be the obvious choice for me.

Gen 2: Totodile - But almost entirely because of how beastly and awesome Feraligatr is. I find Totodile and Croconaw rather ugly tbh.

Gen 3: Treecko - Probably the only starter line to be my favorite all the way through. Treecko itself is cute, but not too cute. Grovyle has by far the best design of the middle evolutions with those leaves coming out of its arms. And as mentioned before, Sceptile is a big freaking lizard with a big leafy tail. :p I dunno. Maybe it just appealed to my inner, dinosaur-loving child lol. Though I will say I found Treecko harder to use than the other starters.

Gen 4: Chimchar - I remember wanting to pick Piplup before D/P came out, but would up being EXTREMELY disappointed with Empoleon (though I've warmed to Empoleon since; I think I was just put off because Empoleon has a REALLY bad D/P sprite). But I saw Infernape among the leaked evolutions and though it looked awesome. And I had a lot of fun using it when I played through Pearl. Bonus points for being based on Sun Wukong.

Gen 5: Oshawott - I actually originally liked Snivy's line the most of the three, but I switched to team Oshawott after learning Samurott has swords. Come on. It's a freaking samurai sea lion with swords. How is that not awesome? That alone made me not care much about the drastic change from Dewott to Samurott.

Gen 6: Fennekin - I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to pick Fennekin in Y. I thought it was just okay when it first revealed, you know, cute but kind of bland. I didn't really care for Braixen when it was revealed either; I found it way too cutesy and girly. Then Delphox was leaked, and I fell in love with it. I think the wizard idea was super creative, and it helped set it apart from Ninetales design-wise, as I assumed Fennekin would pretty much just evolve into a Ninetales clone. I'm happy they didn't go that route.

Gen 7: Popplio - I thought Popplio was cute when the starters were first revealed but preferred Litten because I love cats. Then that concept art surfaced, and I was immediately put off by Incineroar and started looking at the other two. Primarina caught my attention because I actually like the more elegant, feminine looking Pokemon like Gardevoir, Milotic, Froslass, Roserade, Mienshao, Delphox, and others. And when it was officially revealed, I noticed other little touches about its design that I hadn't noticed in the concept art (most notably, certain elements that make it resemble a singer or pop star like the markings around its eyes resembling makeup or the fact that its tail and that ruff thing around its neck almost look like clothing) that made me love it even more. Now, it's become probably my new favorite Water starter, and I can't wait to use one when I pick up Moon.

Least favorites:
Gen 1: Bulbasaur - But entirely because of Venusaur. I don't mind Bulbasaur or Ivysaur. I don't know. It's just not as cool as Charizard (fire-breathing dragon) or Blastoise (turtle with big water cannons coming out of its shell).

Gen 2: Cyndaquil - I know this is unpopular opinion, but I find Typhlosion to be incredibly bland design-wise. I remember picking Cyndaquil when I first played through Silver and being extremely disappointed with it.

Gen 3: Mudkip - I don't mind Mudkip itself, but I'm not too fond of its evolutions design-wise. They're just ugly to me, but I think that's a personal thing. For the most part, I've just never been a fan of the big, bulky Pokemon like Swampert. That said, I did pick Mudkip in my first run through Sapphire, and Swampert was incredibly powerful because of that Water/Ground typing, so it's not the worst thing in the world

Gen 4: Turtwig - I still like Torterra, but I just prefer Infernape and Empoleon.

Gen 5: Tepig - I don't like pigs in general, so it didn't matter what Tepig evolved into, I probably wasn't going to like it. Also, Fire/Fighting had been done to death at that point.

Gen 6: Chespin - I never really cared for Chespin at any point during the XY release cycle. At that point, it had that "Piplup/Oshawott" type of look to it. And its evolutions didn't help matters at all. It kind of goes back to me just not liking big, bulky Pokemon in general though, so it's probably just personal taste.

Gen 7: Litten - But entirely because of Incineroar, as I actually like both Litten and Torracat a lot. I dunno. When I first saw it, I hated it because I was one of those people wanting Litten to just evolve into a big, flaming tiger with no anthropomorphic features whatsoever. But thanks to fanart, the recent trailer, and learning what a heel wrestler is, I've kind of warmed to the big wrestling tiger. Now, I'm more neutral towards it, but I think Primarina and Decidueye are MUCH better designed starters.

ebevan91

Least favorite from each gen:

1) Squirtle - Don't like Wartortle
2) Chikorita - Johto Gyms 1 & 2 are pure hell if you have this thing. Also its movepool is kinda ****.
3) Torchic - I don't actually dislike Torchic, in fact I like using Torchic, but it's still my least favorite of the 3.
4) Chimchar - Same as Torchic
5) Tepig - FIRE/FIGHTING AGAIN?
6) Froakie - Try not to cut yourselves on all the edges here but I find myself not liking Froakie because everyone else seems to like him and I don't like Greninja being shoved down my throat constantly.

Favorite:

1) Bulbasaur - Yeah you read that right, I love me some Venusaur
2) Totodile - Feraligatr carried me vs. Lance. Ice Fang and Surf was all I needed.
3) Treecko - It was my first starter in 3rd gen and I like Sceptile's mega evolution so Treecko wins over Mudkip
4) Piplup - Probably the hardest choice to make honestly. I love all 3 of these starters but penguins are some of my favorite animals.
5) Snivy - The only one I actually like from gen 5. I think this one was the most consistent through all of its evolutions.
6) Chespin - Good defensive grass type that Chikorita wanted to be. Fennekin is alright too but I don't like Delphox's design.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Faves:

1st Gen (Kanto) - Squirtle. I never properly played a Kanto game but I found this guy cute and would be my fave if I had to rank them.
2nd Gen (Johto) - Cyndaquil. One of the rare times my fave starter isn't Water-type, but I like the simplicity of its evolution line.
3rd Gen (Hoenn) - Mudkip. I surely liek Mudkipz, since it was my starter in both Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, plus Swampert is so tanky.
4th Gen (Sinnoh) - Chimchar. I initially liked Piplup better but since my Chinese Zodiac sign is the monkey it makes sense why Chimchar's my fave here.
5th Gen (Unova) - Oshawott. It's my mascot Pokemon! I also love the badass samurai theme.
6th Gen (Kalos) - Froakie. While the Charizard-level Greninja popularity has bothered me slightly, it's still my fave of this trio but they're all well-designed with the RPG stuff.
7th Gen (Alola) - Popplio. This little guy threatened Oshawott for my all-time fave Pokemon spot, plus I'm so looking forward to using Primarina in my future Moon playthrough.

Least Faves:

1st Gen (Kanto) - Charmander. I don't have any particular opinion, and while the X Mega redeemed Charizard for me, it's still my least fave if I had to choose.
2nd Gen (Johto) - Chikorita. There's a reason why most of us hate it, and that's because it's too defensive to be useful.
3rd Gen (Hoenn) - Treecko. Not particularly hated by me, but still ranks lower than the other two. I blame Mega Sceptile popularity as well.
4th Gen (Sinnoh) - Turtwig. Don't overly hate it, but I'm not a huge fan of slow Pokemon.
5th Gen (Unova) - Tepig. Not a hater but least fave if I had to rank them.
6th Gen (Kalos) - Chespin. It's cute but I never used it compared to the other two.
7th Gen (Alola) - Litten. I like its design but Incineroar's design concept isn't as original as Decidueye or Primarina.

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
Here's mine! Looks like I'm mostly fire.

Gen 1: Charmander - Fell in love after seeing it appear in the anime. Hard on hard against the first gym leaders, those were some satisfying wins man.
Gen 2: Cyndaquil - Totodile was another great contender but the anime swayed me again, I love that little smoke bomb.
Gen 3: Mudkip - Torchic was a winner typing but I just kind of love that axolotl gape and how solid Marshtomp looks. Muddy water was my jam.
Gen 4: Chimchar - Don't care much, grass and water types were just easier to get and I outright disliked the others. Not my gen.
Gen 5: Oshawott/Snivy - Neither were a big hit for me but I liked their middle stages. Serperior somehow became useless midway my playthrough, replaced it with a better 'mon.
Gen 6: Fennekin - I'll admit it, I'm one of those fox people. When this was revealed my hype for XY started from zero to over one thousand, I love this thing it's a gift from the heavens.
Gen 7: Litten - CATS. CAAAAAAAAATS. Let me love you you little shmoo. I love how its cry progresses from a mew to a roar and Incineroar grew on me for the flavour.

aerial_ace

My favourites are mostly grass starters. I always pick them first and love them all(almost)
Gen 1 for many years Bulabasaur was my favourite pokemon it was my first ever pokemon and i have big nostalgia towards it.
Gen 2 chikorita
One of the cutest pokemon ever. Competetively it is hands down the worst starter very shallow move pool but i loved its personality in the anime and meganium is so sweet.
Gen 3
Treecko- best starter ever and Sceptile is my favourite pokemon of all time just love the design and its mega is bada#*.
Gen 4
Turtwig purely for its fibal form torterra is one of my favourite pokemon and it was very useful in the playthrough.
Gen 5
Snivy . This gen is my least favourite when it comes to starters but serperior is alright hate the other 2.
Gen 6
Even tho i used chespin first, froakie line is my favorite. Greninja is one of the coolest designed starter and anime made it even look cooler
Gen 7
Rowlett hands down my secobd favourite starter desigb wise ghost is a cool typing and archer theme is very unique.

I have very few starters i dont like the only ones i truly hate is tepig whole line andempoleon( only because of how many times this thing just stopped me from doing anything competetively) i hate oshawott and dewott as well but at least samurott is decent desig

TRG

Fun fact: There has never been a generation where a Water starter has been my favorite. It's always either the Fire or Grass.

Faves

Gen 1: Charmander cause Zard is the greatest Pokemon of all time.
Gen 2: Typhlosion - Cool design (I really love its cry in particular), cool name, and overall is just a very solid Pokemon.
Gen 3: Blazekin - 2nd favorite starter right behind Zard. When my Torchic evolved into a badass fighting chicken I lost my **** as a kid.
Gen 4: Torterra - Bad *** design and a very cool and unique type combination was enough for me to finally go for the Grass starter first.
Gen 5: Serperior - VERY awesome design and name, but for heaven's sake its movepool and stats (in game at least) were so bland.
Gen 6: Chesnaught - Underrated Pokemon IMO. Never understood why this guy never got more love.
Gen 7: Decidueye - Will most likely be my favorite Grass starter of all time.

Least favorites

Gen 1: I love them all
Gen 2: Meganium - Such a disappointment compared to Venasaur in almost every way.
Gen 3: I love them all
Gen 4: Infernape - First Blazekin wannabe. Don't hate the design but the fact that it took away from Blazekin's uniqueness really rubbed me the wrong way.
Gen 5: Emboar - See above.
Gen 6: Greninja - I will never like the tongue scarf... I just can't. If it kept the bubbles instead like its prevos it would probably be my favorite Water type.
Gen 7: Incineroar - Cool type combination but I still can't completely get behind its anthropomorphic design. Would have much preferred something a bit more animal-looking but instead it looks like a human in a costume.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
Came here to discuss the new starters, but I guess this is a trend now?

Favorites:
1st Gen: Charmander. He was my favorite Pokemon for a long time. :)
2nd Gen: Cyndaquil. The adorable mouse-ant eater Pokemon always caught my eye and I actually was a Cyndaquil in the PMD games.
3rd Gen: Mudkip. This mudfish was always adorable to me and was my first Pokemon card.
4th Gen: Piplup. My first ever Pokemon...how could I not?
5th Gen: Snivy. I really loved the sleek design and Serperior was my favorite evolution of the three.
6th Gen: Chespin. I originally liked Fennekin more but this little guy found a spot in my heart. Chestnaught turned out to be a monster on my XY team, too.
7th Gen: Rowlet. Here we are with the newest starter...who is part flying! As you may know, flying is my favorite type and I always loved owls as an animal. Decidueye might be my favorite third evo ever, too.

Least:
1st Gen: None. All three of the starters are unique in their own ways that I just can't hate one of them.
2nd Gen: Totodile. The design never personally appealed to me and I never really used Feraligatr in my life.
3rd Gen: Torchic. Even though I used Torchic in Emerald, I'm just not a fan of Blaziken. It's a little overrated, imo.
4th Gen: Chimchar slightly. Monkeys are my least favorite animal.
5th Gen: Tepig. Tepig had great potential that was wasted in it's evolutions. Just not a fan.
6th Gen: Froakie. I really despise Greninja as a Pokemon since it's really overrated. Also, that tongue scarf...
7th Gen: Litten. The little cat evolves into a wrestler which is cool in design, but just not my forte. It falls into the same category as Tepig.

LudaChris78

Sorry I know you want to change the subject but let me throw in my fav starters since I've played this franchise from the very beginning.

Fav starters from each gen:

1. First picked Bulbasaur, my very first pokemon ever! Read the instruction booklet for Red/Blue and said Bulbasaur was for beginners, so I chose it. My favorite ended up being Charmander of course. All three of these starters hold a special place in my heart.
2. Due to my love of the fire types (charizard, Arcanine, Ninetails) from first gen, I chose Cyndaquil and it still remains as my fav of this gen, although I really like the totodile line as well.
3. Continuing with the fire trend, I chose Torchic. It's still my fav from this gen, but once again I really like the other two as well.
4. Fire wins once again. After third gen, I stopped playing for a bit, but once fourth gen came out, I instantly fell in love with the chimchar line. It remains my fav starter overall to this day. This was another strong starter gen for me.
5. Tie between Oshawott and Snivy. For once, fire takes a backseat. Hate Tepig line. Absolutely loved Dewott and it takes the place of my fav mid staged starter. Really wished Samurott was part fighting. Loved Snivy from the reveal and was the one I initially leaned for. I never really chose it during the playthroughs though due to its unreleased HA which is one of the reasons why I loved it so much.
6. Easily Froakie, but I don't mind the other two. I think Delphox's design could have been a bit better, but I see what they're going for.
7. First time I saw the starter trailer, I liked Litten the most, but really liked Rowlet and kind of liked Popplio. Then Rowlet just kept growing on me and I knew he'd be my fav. Then the leak came and that cemented it. Definitely favor Decidueye the most. I have to admit though, this is a very strong group of starters and I like them all. Initially hated Incineroar but his in game model, in game animations, and official art changed my mind on him.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
And please do. I'm honestly tired of only seeing people's favorite and least favorite starters.

Yeah, sorry I about that. I asked for fave starters, but only because, as I stated in my post:

You know what, that brings up an interesting point. I've known people who always choose Fire, or Water, or (in rarer cases) Grass. Similarly, I've known people who have never picked a Starter of a certain Type, like you.

So, what I'm wondering is, given that I've seen a lot of people go routes they normally wouldn't after the reveals of these final Evos, what kind of track record does everyone have with Starters, and did these Starters change their streaks?

At first, people acknowledged both parts of my question, but the intent got lost as the trend continued :|

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
My apologies if that answer was old, I never saw the original question. If I had, I would have answered it as intended hahah.

For me, counting BW2 since it's different enough from BW in ways that the third versions aren't, my favorite starter has gone Fire -> Water -> Grass for each main game. Going by that pattern, it lines up as Charmander (RB and FRLG) -> Totodile (GS and HGSS) -> Treecko (RS and ORAS) -> Chimchar (DP) -> Oshawott (BW) -> Snivy (because I did pick Snivy when I played W2) -> Fennekin (XY) -> and now Popplio (SM). So no, this trend didn't really change anything for me, though I am surprised this pattern is still going.

If it continues, looks like I'll be picking the Grass starter when Gen VIII rolls around. :p

AG128L

Now that I've seen the original question, I'd like to answer. I've always picked the water starter, and Primarina is not breaking that pattern for me. Water/fairy is an amazing typing, and I love mermaids. Also, my starters have all been male with the same nickname. Primarina is making it a little difficult to keep that trend, but I think I will. It helps me imagine it's the same partner Pokemon traveling with me to each new region.

future.newyorker

*changing subject before it goes right back to starter trends*

I've brought this up before, but did you guys all know that there is actually a legit reason for Decidueye's typing? Decidueye is based off of the Stilt Owl (look it up for a picture of you don't believe me), which are native to Hawaii (Alola), however; Stilt Owls went extinct, which is the reason Decidueye has the ghost typing. All Stilt Owls are dead. So yes, Decidueye is in fact, dead (though this will probably never actually be stated in the game as it's a kids game). So in a way, Decidueye is/could be classified as an ancient Pokémon, just not one revived from a fossil.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
*changing subject before it goes right back to starter trends*

I've brought this up before, but did you guys all know that there is actually a legit reason for Decidueye's typing? Decidueye is based off of the Stilt Owl (look it up for a picture of you don't believe me), which are native to Hawaii (Alola), however; Stilt Owls went extinct, which is the reason Decidueye has the ghost typing. All Stilt Owls are dead. So yes, Decidueye is in fact, dead (though this will probably never actually be stated in the game as it's a kids game). So in a way, Decidueye is/could be classified as an ancient Pokémon, just not one revived from a fossil.

And I've brought this up before, but that probably not it. Other Pokemon, like Meganium, Yanmega, Mamoswine, etc. are not Fossil Mons, but are based on extinct creatures, but none of them are Ghost-Types. A far more likely reason is that owls are linked to death in many cultures, including that of Hawaii. For example, look at this passage from Creatures in the Mist, a book all about animals as they are represented in World folklore by Gary R. Varner:

“In Hawaiian lore, the owl-god Pueo had the power to restore life to a recently murdered and buried girl called the Rainbow Maiden. In fact, the owl-god was able to restore life to the Maiden several times for every time he brought her back to life the murderer reburied the girl, until at last he determined that the spirit would no longer be able to rejoin its body. It was Pueo-nui-akea who restored the life to many souls wandering on the plains of Maui.

As the Owl was linked to death and the underworld in Europe, Mesoamerica, Asia, and Native American culture so too was it intimately associated with death in Hawaiian and Polynesian society. In Old Hawaii, the bodies of the recently deceased were offered to Ku-kaua-kahi, an owl god, so that they could also become owls and thus protectors of the family. ‘Owls (pueo) are among the oldest of these family protectors,’ wrote folklorist Martha Beckworth.

Far from an omen of doom, however, the owl in Hawaiian legend was a special protector that would protect against danger, especially in war. The owl was worshipped both as a class of spirits and gods and as individual protectors.”

glacialcat

And I've brought this up before, but that probably not it. Other Pokemon, like Meganium, Yanmega, Mamoswine, etc. are not Fossil Mons, but are based on extinct creatures, but none of them are Ghost-Types. A far more likely reason is that owls are linked to death in many cultures, including that of Hawaii.

To further this: Barn owls (which Rowlet and Dartrix definitely are, but Decidueye itself is a bit more vague because it shares features with spectacled owls as well) are also known as death owls, night owls, demon owls, and ghost owls.

But yeah definitely agreed. Even outside of Hawaii the word "death" is omnipresent in any description of owl symbolism. Seems more likely to me than a fairly obscure extinct species.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
To further this: Barn owls (which Rowlet and Dartrix definitely are, but Decidueye itself is a bit more vague because it shares features with spectacled owls as well) are also known as death owls, night owls, demon owls, and ghost owls.

But yeah definitely agreed. Even outside of Hawaii the word "death" is omnipresent in any description of owl symbolism. Seems more likely to me than a fairly obscure extinct species.

Exactly. Owls are all about death and wisdom, and between Decidueye and Noctowl, it would seem we have both themes covered. The only reason the stilt owl hypothesis exists is because of people who desperately wanted to keep the "All Grass Starter Final Evos are based on pre-historic creatures" theory alive.

Oh, and the red around the eyes is likely due to influence from the brown wood owl, who also looks like it's wearing a hood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix_(genus)#/media/File:Brown_wood_owl_arp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.