• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I think you guys are all overrating Decidueye. We don't know its stats yet. Serperior was equally liked but no one remembered about it until it got contrary. If Decidueye will not be good competitvly no one will you use it after the first ride and people will forget it. Its typing does not help it at the moment and design alone can't do much either cause it's something that appeals just for few months after the games are out. So it need great stats, great coverage moves cause we get used to pokemon by seeing them in battle and if this is not the case, Decidueye will go down in popularity as fast as Dragalge (do you remember the hype when we finally got the dragon/poison? When was the last time you have seen one?).
Stop saying Decidueye will be remembered forever, it will be the new greninja, it will OU. You are simply making stronger the possibility to be disappointed by it. Accept it as it will become....cause trollFreak is always at the corner trying to destroy your hopes as it did with the "new talonflame"

I think you're confusing "popular" with "competitively viable." Just because a pokémon isn't used competitively doesn't mean it isn't popular. What they're talking about is the rather unique design and unexpected typing choices making Decidueye popular with fans. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that all three of the starters seem to have a pretty equal following, at least here on this forum.

Most likely. Incineroar is too controversial to be super popular, and primarina won't really stand out enough. Pretty much every gen has "that" pokemon. Decidueye will be it for gen 7.

Controversial? May I ask how so? I don't recall seeing anything controversial-ish

If Ash follows tradition and gets all the starters I think he'll end up with an Incineroar considering the leaked art

TyLogic

Controversial? May I ask how so? I don't recall seeing anything controversial-ish

If Ash follows tradition and gets all the starters I think he'll end up with an Incineroar considering the leaked art

Rowlet and Popplio are there as well, so all of them have an equal chance.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I think you guys are all overrating Decidueye. We don't know its stats yet. Serperior was equally liked but no one remembered about it until it got contrary. If Decidueye will not be good competitvly no one will you use it after the first ride and people will forget it. Its typing does not help it at the moment and design alone can't do much either cause it's something that appeals just for few months after the games are out. So it need great stats, great coverage moves cause we get used to pokemon by seeing them in battle and if this is not the case, Decidueye will go down in popularity as fast as Dragalge (do you remember the hype when we finally got the dragon/poison? When was the last time you have seen one?).
Stop saying Decidueye will be remembered forever, it will be the new greninja, it will OU. You are simply making stronger the possibility to be disappointed by it. Accept it as it will become....cause trollFreak is always at the corner trying to destroy your hopes as it did with the "new talonflame"

Actually, Serperior was not 'equally liked' when it was first leaked, it got the least amount of hate, but a lot of fans criticized its design and a lot of people were hoping it wasn't real. It having a poor performance in-game also didn't help, and it only became the most popular (which is debateable as some polls actually give it to Samurott surprisingly) because it wasn't controversial like Samurott or outright disliked like Emboar. Nowadays it probably goes in Serperior's favor with Contrary giving it a small boost through competitive viability, but it's still not up to the levels of Charizard or Greninja.

Also, competitive viability is only a part of why something may be popular. A lot of fans still stick by Charizard even though it ranged from mediocre to terrible in competitive until recently, and even though Blaziken was the most popular in Gen 3, Swampert was the most competitively viable. On the flip side, Conkeldurr and Heatran don't exactly have the strongest of fanbases even though both of them are more competitively viable then most Pokémon.

Last edited:

john90

I think you're confusing "popular" with "competitively viable." Just because a pokémon isn't used competitively doesn't mean it isn't popular. What they're talking about is the rather unique design and unexpected typing choices making Decidueye popular with fans. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that all three of the starters seem to have a pretty equal following, at least here on this forum.

I'm not against the popular thing, what I'm scared of is all those people who think it will be popular cause it will be the new something competitivly. How can it be the new talonflame/greninja when those pokemon have unique abilities and coverage for that? I mean why should it become another greninja when we have already one? If Decidueye does not get more then 100 base speed it will never be remembered as the new greninja/Talonflame. Does this mean Decidueye will be unuseful? Why do people always want clones of what we have already?

glacialcat

Stop saying Decidueye will be remembered forever, it will be the new greninja, it will OU. You are simply making stronger the possibility to be disappointed from it. Accept it as it will become....cause trollFreak is always at the corner trying to destroy your hopes as it did with the "new talonflame"

The "popular one" will almost certainly be whatever GameFreak deems it to be so, especially if there's any chance of a Super Smash Bros. game releasing within G7's lifetime (unlikely, but possible if there was a Switch updated release or something). Greninja isn't popular because it is strong competitively, it's popular because it was pushed by GameFreak, TPCi, and Nintendo.

When designing Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U Masahiro Sakurai approached TPCi and asked them to submit a Generation 6 Pokemon for inclusion in the new games. TPCi submitted Greninja before Pokemon X and Y were announced.

“Actually, you know, we had a conversation within our development staff quite before that. We said “Hey, listen take a look at this, Greninja, and see is this a character that we think would work well and we had that session well in advance of X and Y. And you know, of course, since we did this way, again, way in advance of X and Y we… we’re doing it… sort of our reference materials were just some drawings at that point. "

Why is this important? Because it shows that Greninja was planned from the start to be something special, distinct from the other starters. TPCi was already willing at the very beginning of Pokemon X/Y's development to decide that Greninja would be the face of Generation 6. Sure its strength with Protean helped it in the eye of competitive players, but TPCi had big intentions for this thing all along.

Point being, this could easily happen to Decidueye. I doubt if Decidueye is bad competitively TPCi will shut down all plans for Ash to get his Ash-Decidueye with SynchroFusionXyzBondPhenomenon Action.

Or they could have no bigger plans for Decidueye, and it'll just be a regular Pokemon like Samurott or Serperior.

Last edited:

kawaiiconcept

TOP OF THE MORNIN'

Yeah im guessing eaither incinaroar or poplios evolution.
what about companions?
they usually chose whats week to his (the female)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Actually, based on the lists of faves people have listed on this thread, Incineroarmanflame von Liftenstein and Decidueye are on equal footing, while Primarina was far behind them (which is ridiculous, because it is clearly the best). I'd be curious to see an actual poll, though.

knightwolf09

Yeah im guessing eaither incinaroar or poplios evolution.
what about companions?
they usually chose whats week to his (the female)

I know Lana has a Popplio, Rowlet is going with Ash, and Litten is a stray.

john90

The "popular one" will almost certainly be whatever GameFreak deems it to be so, especially if there's any chance of a Super Smash Bros. game releasing within G7's lifetime (unlikely, but possible if there was a Switch updated release or something). Greninja isn't popular because it is strong competitively, it's popular because it was pushed by GameFreak, TPCi, and Nintendo.

When designing Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U Masahiro Sakurai approached TPCi and asked them to submit a Generation 6 Pokemon for inclusion in the new games. TPCi submitted Greninja before Pokemon X and Y were announced.

“Actually, you know, we had a conversation within our development staff quite before that. We said “Hey, listen take a look at this, Greninja, and see is this a character that we think would work well and we had that session well in advance of X and Y. And you know, of course, since we did this way, again, way in advance of X and Y we… we’re doing it… sort of our reference materials were just some drawings at that point. "

Why is this important? Because it shows that Greninja was planned from the start to be something special, distinct from the other starters. TPCi was already willing at the very beginning of Pokemon X/Y's development to decide that Greninja would be the face of Generation 6. Sure its strength with Protean helped it in the eye of competitive players, but TPCi had big intentions for this thing all along.

Point being, this could easily happen to Decidueye. I doubt if Decidueye is bad competitively TPCi will shut down all plans for Ash to get his Ash-Decidueye with SynchroFusionXyzBondPhenomenon Action.

Or they could have no bigger plans for Decidueye, and it'll just be a regular Pokemon like Samurott or Serperior.

As I said already I'm not against that kind of popularity. I'm talking about people who want Decidueye as a Greninja/Talonflame clone. They seem so convinced about it that if it does not become like those two they will feel disappointed when there's no reason to complain if GF didn't want to create a clone but a new pokemon.

In the poster all the starters are with a trial captain and the trailers does not suggest one starter over another. I think Ash will have just pikachu for a good amount of episodes. Imo we have nothing at the moment to speculate on what starter he will have.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Actually, based on the lists of faves people have listed on this thread, Incineroarmanflame von Liftenstein and Decidueye are on equal footing, while Primarina was far behind them (which is ridiculous, because it is clearly the best). I'd be curious to see an actual poll, though.
... Huh, I'm surprised, I thought Incineroar would be the least popular. But I'm glad my boy is getting some love (too bad about Primarina, tho).

I'm betting that someone eventually catches the stray Litten.

In the poster all the starters are with a trial captain and the trailers does not suggest one starter over onather. I think Ash will have just pikachu for a good amount of episodes. Imo we have nothing at the moment to speculate on what starter he will have.
... The poster literally shows Rowlet right next to Ash (and adding to that, he has a little white shine around it like Ash and Pikachu have).

john90

... Huh, I'm surprised, I thought Incineroar would be the least popular. But I'm glad my boy is getting some love (too bad about Primarina, tho).

That pool was made when not even Dartrix, Torracat and Brionne were revealed. He meant a new poll now when know the all lines.
BTW Popplio and Litten are in front of him too, so there's nothing suggesting he got just Rowlet. In another poster Rowlett is seen with Mallow, Popplio with Lana and Litten with the fire captain.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

That pool was made when not even Dartrix, Torracat and Brionne were revealed. He meant a new poll now when know the all lines.
JV was referring to all the lists of starters people were giving, not the poll.

glacialcat

As I said already I'm not against that kind of popularity. I'm talking about people who want Decidueye as a Greninja/Talonflame clone. They seem so convinced about it that if it does not become like those two they will feel disappointed when there's no reason to complain if GF didn't want to create a clone but a new pokemon.

In the poster all the starters are with a trial captain and the trailers does not suggest one starter over another. I think Ash will have just pikachu for a good amount of episodes. Imo we have nothing at the moment to speculate on what starter he will have.

I haven't really seen anyone say they want Decidueye to be a clone of Greninja. All I've seen is people thinking that it'll be the new "popular one" that TPCi will push out tons of toys of.

That being said, yes no one should get excessively excited about how good Decidueye will be, given how little we know about its stats. On the same hand though given we know nothing about its stats or abilities, it could easily become something monstrously overpowered. Talonflame is a good example. On paper it had a terrible typing with subpar stats, until it's horrendously overpowered hidden ability was discovered.

So really my point is that competitively we simply do not know. Decidueye could wind up in PU or Ubers or anything in between. I still think that if we get a "popular one" this generation, it is Decidueye, however.

knightwolf09

... The poster literally shows Rowlet right next to Ash (and adding to that, he has a little white shine around it like Ash and Pikachu have).

Not mention some anime trailers do show it interacting with mostly Ash, and he even recommends it staying with him...before it up and takes his watermelon.

clbgolden12

BTW Popplio and Litten are in front of him too, so there's nothing suggesting he got just Rowlet. In another poster Rowlett is seen with Mallow, Popplio with Lana and Litten with the fire captain.
The glow, tho.

http://m.imgur.com/l2s9Lz2?r

In this first poster, Rowlet is placed right with Ash, Pikachu, and Rotom Dex, and even has a white glow around them as well. I do think Ash will get another starter (probably Litten), but Rowlet definitely seems to be Ash's.

Not mention some anime trailers do show it interacting with mostly Ash, and he even recommends it staying with him...before it up and takes his watermelon.
Which trailer was this?

john90

I haven't really seen anyone say they want Decidueye to be a clone of Greninja. All I've seen is people thinking that it'll be the new "popular one" that TPCi will push out tons of toys of.

That being said, yes no one should get excessively excited about how good Decidueye will be, given how little we know about its stats. On the same hand though given we know nothing about its stats or abilities, it could easily become something monstrously overpowered. Talonflame is a good example. On paper it had a terrible typing with subpar stats, until it's horrendously overpowered hidden ability was discovered.

So really my point is that competitively we simply do not know. Decidueye could wind up in PU or Ubers or anything in between. I still think that if we get a "popular one" this generation, it is Decidueye, however.

I think the anime popular one will be Incineroar cause it has the Charizard potential to copletly ignore Ash. Also it is the only one fully evolved seen with Ash and Mallow in the leaks. Maybe Ash will get Litten and Popplio and Mallow will have rowlet.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
JV was referring to all the lists of starters people were giving, not the poll.

Exactly. Surprisingly, there aren't many polls that I can find. The only one I've found puts Decidueye at 56%, Primarina at 28%, and Incineroar at 16%. That said, that was only off of 25 votes, which is way too small of a sample size to accurately determine public opinion.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer

Alright, GF. I need a massively extended character limit for nicknames now...

future.newyorker

Going off the starters when they were first revealed, I feel Rowlet was the most popular. But since the final evolutions were revealed/leaked, I think that spot was taken by Primarina. Though Rowlet/Dartrix/Decidueye is still my favorite. And quite possibly my new favorite starter of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.