• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gliscor&yanmega

It still kind of irks me that Tepig still has Heat Crash, or does that move have other users as well?
Tepig line are the only ones. Maybe Incineroar can get it though but it's light compared to Emboar so not like it will be useful for it, don't think it really works out that great on Emboar for that matter. Groudon probably has the best potential for it but probably wont get it if it didn't last gen.

Not sure what other Starter Signature move is left beside Greninja's Mat Block which could work for Shiftry but similar case as Groudon.

TyLogic

Tepig line are the only ones. Maybe Incineroar can get it though but it's light compared to Emboar so not like it will be useful for it, don't think it really works out that great on Emboar for that matter. Groudon probably has the best potential for it but probably wont get it if it didn't last gen.

Not sure what other Starter Signature move is left beside Greninja's Mat Block which could work for Shiftry but similar case as Groudon.

What if you give Incinaroar a Metal Coat or Lagging Tail? (Something that makes it heavier)

Sakuraba

What if you give Incinaroar a Metal Coat or Lagging Tail? (Something that makes it heavier)

At that point, Emboar will benefit more out of it for being naturally fatter.

glacialcat

Neither of those do that. Metal Coat boosts the power of Steel moves, Lagging Tail forces you to always move second. The only item that effects weight is Float Stone, which halves weight. There is none to increase it.

Edit: Even if there was an item that doubled weight, doubling Incineroar's weight barely makes it weigh more than Emboar does naturally. And Emboar is already too light to effectively use Heat Crash.

TyLogic

Neither of those do that. Metal Coat boosts the power of Steel moves, Lagging Tail forces you to always move second. The only item that effects weight is Float Stone, which halves weight. There is none to increase it.

Edit: Even if there was an item that doubled weight, doubling Incineroar's weight barely makes it weigh more than Emboar does naturally. And Emboar is already too light to effectively use Heat Crash.

Oh. My bad friend.

Well, there's a new item idea right there. Those would definitely make Heat Crash better. I'm not sure about Heavy Slam though. I've only used it with Golurk.

Sakuraba

That's why we need that Mega Emboar with 1 ton.

glacialcat

Been thinking about Decidueye's movepool. While I'm certain it'll get the generic Ghost and Grass attacks that it should get (Seed Bomb, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Phantom Force, maybe Shadow Sneak), the archer gimmick is interesting. There aren't any previous archer Pokemon, so I was trying to think of what possible coverage this unique gimmick could give it. Here are some thoughts, only looking at physical moves:

Ground:
Thousand Arrows - Unlikely given it's Zygarde's, but is is the only attack with "Arrow" in it's name.
Drill Run - Potentially a spinning arrow could provide the same sort of attack that spinning horns provide for other Pokemon with this attack.

Poison:
Gunk Shot - "Shot" being the operative word, appears in both English and Japanese version of the name (Dust Shoot in Japanese). Poison-tipped arrows are also a common trope.

Rock:
Rock Blast, Rock Throw, Rock Slide - all the same reason, perhaps a stone arrowhead. Calls to mind slings, which are similar ranged weapons.
Smack Down - What better way to ground a bird than shooting an arrow at it?

Bug:
Pin Missile - Has Missile in the name, easily translates to an arrow attack.

There's a few others that you could make arguments for but I consider significantly less likely (Icicle Spear, Ice Shard) and a few I consider fairly likely but they're not good (Spike Cannon). And there's a few notable moves that it will likely get that are independent of the archer gimmick (U-Turn for example, since most birds get it).

One notable thing I've realized is a lot of multihit moves make sense for an archery gimmick. Skill Link could be a good choice for Hidden Ability, and combine well with Bullet Seed. Don't see it as particularly likely though.

TyLogic

Been thinking about Decidueye's movepool. While I'm certain it'll get the generic Ghost and Grass attacks that it should get (Seed Bomb, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Phantom Force, maybe Shadow Sneak), the archer gimmick is interesting. There aren't any previous archer Pokemon, so I was trying to think of what possible coverage this unique gimmick could give it. Here are some thoughts, only looking at physical moves:

Ground:
Thousand Arrows - Unlikely given it's Zygarde's, but is is the only attack with "Arrow" in it's name.
Drill Run - Potentially a spinning arrow could provide the same sort of attack that spinning horns provide for other Pokemon with this attack.

Poison:
Gunk Shot - "Shot" being the operative word, appears in both English and Japanese version of the name (Dust Shoot in Japanese). Poison-tipped arrows are also a common trope.

Rock:
Rock Blast, Rock Throw, Rock Slide - all the same reason, perhaps a stone arrowhead. Calls to mind slings, which are similar ranged weapons.
Smack Down - What better way to ground a bird than shooting an arrow at it?

Bug:
Pin Missile - Has Missile in the name, easily translates to an arrow attack.

There's a few others that you could make arguments for but I consider significantly less likely (Icicle Spear, Ice Shard) and a few I consider fairly likely but they're not good (Spike Cannon). And there's a few notable moves that it will likely get that are independent of the archer gimmick (U-Turn for example, since most birds get it).

One notable thing I've realized is a lot of multihit moves make sense for an archery gimmick. Skill Link could be a good choice for Hidden Ability, and combine well with Bullet Seed. Don't see it as particularly likely though.

These make sense. Not so much Gunk Shot though. If anything, it'd be Poison Sting. But yeah, I'm assuming that if the move usually involves spikes or a horn, Decidueye will be able to learn it.

future.newyorker

I think it would be cool if the starters this gen learned the original gen 1 OHKO moves; Horn Drill for Decidueye, Guillotine for Incineroar, and Sheer Cold for Primarina. It probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

TyLogic

I think it would be cool if the starters this gen learned the original gen 1 OHKO moves; Horn Drill for Decidueye, Guillotine for Incineroar, and Sheer Cold for Primarina. It probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

I think that Fissure suits Incinaroar more.

WolfCypher

Been thinking about Decidueye's movepool. While I'm certain it'll get the generic Ghost and Grass attacks that it should get (Seed Bomb, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Phantom Force, maybe Shadow Sneak), the archer gimmick is interesting. There aren't any previous archer Pokemon, so I was trying to think of what possible coverage this unique gimmick could give it.

I was thinking about this at work. There aren't a lot or archer/arrow moves in Pokémon, and Spirit Shackle alone doesn't do its theme justice. Since the starters are never truly made equal anyway (you guys did mention how Emboar was the only Gen V starter to get a signature move, and how Greninja was the only Gen VI starter to get two), I hope Decidueye can learn a couple more arrow-shooting moves, even if they're exclusive to it only. With Spirit Shackle being Ghost, I would like a Grass-type move and a Flying-type move. One could be a multi-hitting Fury Attack styled move and the other can just have a very high critical hit ratio.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I was thinking about this at work. There aren't a lot or archer/arrow moves in Pokémon, and Spirit Shackle alone doesn't do its theme justice. Since the starters are never truly made equal anyway (you guys did mention how Emboar was the only Gen V starter to get a signature move, and how Greninja was the only Gen VI starter to get two), I hope Decidueye can learn a couple more arrow-shooting moves, even if they're exclusive to it only. With Spirit Shackle being Ghost, I would like a Grass-type move and a Flying-type move. One could be a multi-hitting Fury Attack styled move and the other can just have a very high critical hit ratio.

I think they're just going to give it Leaf Blade rather than a new moves, tbh.

Bus

Tepig and its evolutions are still the only ones that can learn Heat Crash. It's actually the only Gen5 starter with an exclusive move which is strange IMO. I couldn't see any that could have been exclusive to Snivy's line and only Razor Shell could have been an Oshawott line exclusive but Shellder was capable of learning it even in Gen5.

I haven't played for a bit, but I thought Razor Shell & Coil were exclusive in that gen to the other starters?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I haven't played for a bit, but I thought Razor Shell & Coil were exclusive in that gen to the other starters?

Nope. Cloyster also got Razor Shell, and Coil was available on Eelektrik, Eelektross, the Ekans line, Seviper, and Dunsparce :)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Yes, but I don't think you should post that here. I already mentioned there was a cart in the wild, but I don't think it's a good idea to post that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.