• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

john90

Oh ok, didn't know they changed it to an arrow. I said outside in my previous post but I meant to put outsped lol, my laptop autocorrects it. Also, in one of the gameplay footages pre-release I think Poplin had like 9 speed at level 6 or 7 but it had really high special defense and special attack

Popplio is defenitly not fast too. What we don't know if the slowest is Decidueye or Primarina.
I mean they can both have 45 base speed at lv 5, the problem is that Dartrix is only 55 and we don't know about Brionne. One of them will be probably 60 and the other around 70/80 at really best.

knightwolf09

4chan is throwing riots and roasts on Decidueye now. Was making him this way really the best decision?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
4chan is throwing riots and roasts on Decidueye now. Was making him this way really the best decision?

Looks like it was a bad decision because it's going to have a bad reputation from the start now. Well greninja haters dont have to worry about that at least.

john90

I think it's not GF fault if people convinced themselves that Decidueye would have become the new talonflame. Complaining about it being something not expected is the most childish thing to do. Like we don't know already that an otter can become a sea lion and that fire/fighting is never finished for sure.

knightwolf09

Looks like it was a bad decision because it's going to have a bad reputation from the start now. Well greninja haters dont have to worry about that at least.

People complain about Litten being a bipedal fighter, how come no one mentions we get more "bulky" grass types than offensive ones, cause cleary bulky Grass types don't work well unless they have a typing to back it. And Grass/Ghost is the worst place to put it.

I think it's not GF fault if people convinced themselves that Decidueye would have become the new talonflame. Complaining about it being something not expected is the most childish thing to do. Like we don't know already that an otter can become a sea lion and that fire/fighting is never finished for sure.

It's still not a good decision in general to make a fragile typing defensive. They basically made a sitting duck. I don't even know how those stats came to be conceptually.

john90

People complain about Litten being a bipedal fighter, how come no one mentions we get more "bulky" grass types than offensive ones, cause cleary bulky Grass types don't work well unless they have a typing to back it. And Grass/Ghost is the worst place to put it.

How about no one mentions that we have only one water starter with more then 78 base speed and that water starters have been the slowest in so many gens? How about no one mentions that we have only one fire starter with less then 80 base speed (when actually 80 is speed boosted Blaziken, so all have more then 100 in pratical except Emboar)? How about no one mentions we have no defensive fire starters? Cause this is life you know....

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

It's still not a good decision in general to make a fragile typing defensive. They basically made a sitting duck. I don't even know how those stats came to be conceptually.

Exactly, grass/ghost and bulky just doesnt work at all. Just another missed potential pokemon.

Skyknight

Come to think of it, have grass pokemon in GENERAL been speedsters? Not to mention a point was brought up at Smogon that the sniper conceit may be why Decidueye's speed is on the low side. The idea behind sniping is to prepare carefully, THEN attack. No sniper worth their salt is in a hurry. Remember that, to use Magic: The Gathering fandom terminology, GameFreak designs primarily along Vorthos lines, even if Spike's been gaining momentum lately. Plus they're more worried about doubles than singles, usually. I haven't looked in on doubles, though, so I've little idea if speed is as much of a king stat there.

Anyway, I'm not about to rule out Decidueye yet. Chesnaught is sluggish, and has a pretty fair complement of weaknesses, but still sits pretty in UU with the ability to make occasional forays into OU. (...Um, we're not in the OU-or-nothing mentality, are we?)

EDIT: Okay, turns out there are a few grass speedsters. Jumpluff, Sceptile, and Serperior, at least. So it's not about conceits about grass necessarily being slow.

Last edited:

knightwolf09

Come to think of it, have grass pokemon in GENERAL been speedsters? Not to mention a point was brought up at Smogon that the sniper conceit may be why Decidueye's speed is on the low side. The idea behind sniping is to prepare carefully, THEN attack. No sniper worth their salt is in a hurry. Remember that, to use Magic: The Gathering fandom terminology, GameFreak designs primarily along Vorthos lines, even if Spike's been gaining momentum lately. Plus they're more worried about doubles than singles, usually. I haven't looked in on doubles, though, so I've little idea if speed is as much of a king stat there.

Anyway, I'm not about to rule out Decidueye yet. Chesnaught is sluggish, and has a pretty fair complement of weaknesses, but still sits pretty in UU with the ability to make occasional forays into OU. (...Um, we're not in the OU-or-nothing mentality, are we?)

Archers do need to be quick to get away if they're discovered right?

.Aerodactyl.

I just think we need to give it some time...we don't even know Decidueye's stats yet only Dartrix, we don't know the move pool, or the HA. Maybe it gets speed boost, or even some new ability that will help it out. Definitely speculate, just think it's early to throw it competitively out the window is all. I also think it's competitive value isn't linked necessarily to its marketable value. I don't care if it's stronger/weaker then Greninja. I'm talking simply in terms of anime and side video game popularity, and I suspect Decidueye is gonna be the MVP.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

I mean it says this on the site

Its speed is astonishing

glacialcat

I mean, ideally your archer is not discovered because everyone is dead. But obviously being quick is always a benefit no matter your strategic purpose. But it is not a defining feature of archers.

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the high defenses are supposed to be GameFreak's way of emulating the positional advantage archery gives. Archers are never good defensively in any game, but they are usually a pretty "safe" class because of their range and positioning that allows them to avoid being in the direct line of attack most of the time.

Out of context quote.

"In a tenth of a second, Decidueye plucks an arrow quill from within its wing and sends its hurtling toward its target. Its speed is astonishing, but not more so than its precise aim, which enables the arrow quill to pierce a target through and through from half a mile or more away!"

It's talking about the speed of the arrow.

knightwolf09

I know people say don't read into flavour texts much, but the descriptions in the site seem to give more accurate details this time around. So that's why I buy it.

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
"Its speed is astonishing"

... well, technically it being ridiculously slow would also be 'astonishing'.

Fingers crossed for a big stat overhaul for the last evo though, c'mon owl bro don't let us down now.

Skyknight

Sounds like two different types of speed, to me. Speed of attack vs. speed of foot. Decidueye's speed conceit seems to be the former. (Remember that this is SPECIFICALLY a sniper. Not a longbowman or the like who's trained to hail arrows along with many other bowmen--and generally don't conceal themselves from sight, relying instead on battlements.)

EDIT: Just so we're clear...Expecting Decidueye to be Talonflame Mk. II would be ignoring their real-life inspirations. Owls aren't nearly as fast as falcons, flying or diving (and I don't think owls can soar). What owls ARE is a lot quieter. That's how they catch their prey, not by sheer speed, but by silent ambush. You don't need speed when you can't be detected reliably.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.