• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Discussion & Thread

What is you favorite Sun & Moon starter?

• Rowlet

Votes: 467 43.2%
  • Litten

Votes: 343 31.8%
  • Popplio

Votes: 270 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
-It is pretty obvious that all three middle-stages are the main event, not the starters. All three have stats that make them workable with Eviolite, with all three having unique moves and stat distributions that make them very viable.

I am very interested in how they turn out in FU/PU.

-All three starters are complete jokes in singles, but they have means of messing in VGCs. Primarina is a Sound-based move abuser, Dedicudeye bypasses Rocky Helmet shenanigans, and Incineroar has all the VGC moves plus Intimidate.

Of all the three I expect Choice Specs Primarina, Assault Vest Incineroar and Choice Band Dedicudeye to be very successful in NU, RU and PU respectively.

Regardless, I don't expect any of them to be significant successes or relevant in any way due to heavy offensive nature of the next metagame and future changes in abilities and such.

Edit: There are rumors of Eviolite being nerfed. If that's true, expect everyone to go to the trash bin.

Last edited:
Does it really matter how good a starter is for the sake of choosing one at the beginning though? I mean, the Pokémon games are easy enough that you can easily get through the single player if you pick the worst one. And with online trading it's super easy to get one of the other two if you'd ever consider using them competitively.

If anything, it's better to pick the worst one, since that will actually give you a more of a challenge in the main game.

GDK

Could Incineroar be used like a defensive Arcanine (without a healing move that's unlikely but still) ?
I mean it gets will o wisp.
Could be really good.

john90

The anchor is ghost/grass, AGAIN

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
Wow, Torracat loses THIRTY points in speed when it evolves into Tony. Who knew Everstones would ever come in handy?

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Well, these starters seem rather underwhelming competitively. :/ A bit disappointing, but I don't do competitive so it doesn't matter to me that much.

There's your catch for Primarina at least.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
still don't get how inciniroar is a dark type.

I like dark type, but I don't get why he's one....

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
still don't get how inciniroar is a dark type.

I like dark type, but I don't get why he's one....
Because it's a Heel wrestler, which use dirty tactics and are typically seen as the "bad guys".

Jason3b93

About the starters, they are all very slow, but Decidueye seems to me to be the best one. I don't know, we have to test playing the actually game yet.

I voted for Litten, but I wish I could vote for Rowet now.
I loved Litten and Torracat, but I am not a fan of Inceneroar.
I loved Rowlet and Decidueye, but I hated Dartrix.
Overall, I prefer the owl evo-line better now.

Chimchar15

Incineroar having intimidate is decent. I mean I wish it got a new ability like the other two but it's still a good ability. Since rock, ground, and fighting are mostly physical intimidate helps out a lot. At the end of the day he has good offense and looks great so I'm happy.

SKyLineR32

Master Weasel
Disappointed that Primarina didn't end up getting Aurora Veil and I wish it got a bit more Defense and HP. But overall, I think it turned out fune. Hopefully, its HA will boost attacks like Pixilate does because it seems pointless otherwise.

B. Thunder Tiger

Pretty much called it that Incineroar was going to be fairly slow, trading speed for more power and defense, just like a actual wrestler. Also, Tigers aren't super fast beasts, at least not on the level of cheetahs, so the stat spread has some merit.

Goes nicely with my Iron Shirt reference/idea/speculation (Tiger Shouting Golden Bell Exercise)

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Pretty much called it that Incineroar was going to be fairly slow, trading speed for more power and defense, just like a actual wrestler. Also, Tigers aren't super fast beasts, at least not on the level of cheetahs, so the stat spread has some merit.

Goes nicely with my Iron Shirt reference/idea/speculation (Tiger Shouting Golden Bell Exercise)

Incineroar just broke a sacredstarter tradition with the speed loss. When I was looking at torracat's stats , I was think "YEAAAAAAAAAA incineroar is about to be fast and furious" . Then my heart sunk when I saw it go to 60.

However, this Gen as a whole is very slow it seems. In a vaccum the starters are pretty good but once poke transfer is allowed, things get difficult for them. Z moves could be a saving grace though.

john90

Decidueye: 78/107/75/100/100/70 cannot work on trick room, lack of physical bulk and of great attack.
Sea anchor 70/131/100/86/90/40 can work on Trick room and has great attack and good bulk.

Same move:

Anchor: Anchor Shot (with an ability that boosts steel move!)
The user entangles the target with its anchor chain\nwhile attacking. The target becomes unable to flee.
Steel
Physical
80 Power
100% Accuracy
20 PP
Adjacent Pokémon
Effect 384, similar to Spirit Shackle
Flags 0x49
Corkscrew Crash (160 Power)

Decidueye: Spirit Shackle
The user attacks while simultaneously stitching the\ntarget’s shadow to the ground to prevent the target\nfrom escaping.
Ghost
Physical
80 Power
100% Accuracy
10 PP
Adjacent Pokémon
Effect 384
Flags 0x48
Never-Ending Nightmare (160 Power)

Basically the anchor is the usable version of decidueye

scififan21

So it seems none of the starters final evos are very fast then? I like my pokes to be fast, but if the spreads are good that's fine.

knightwolf09

Okay, after the aneurysm of seeing the stats on every pokemon this gen, I've come into hesitant peace with it, and hope for the best of every pokemon this gen. As for my Incineroar, the best movset I'll have for it will be Darkest Lariat, Flame Charge, Bulk Up, Brick Break/Earthquake.

Status
Not open for further replies.