• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Double Trouble (OU Doubles)

Hydrangea

Just a creature
Staff member
I love making theme teams. I have a successful Eeveelution doubles team that I may share at another point but this team may be my most evil creation. As I said, themes are life for me in the doubles arena; as such a team consisting solely of starters seemed like something fun albeit challenging to pull off but I found a way.

Is it perfect? No. It usually works pretty well but at times you can experience an utter beat down from well made teams. Look out for Drizzle Pokemon for the initial setup and really watch out for Rock Slide.

Without further ado, here's the team.

charizard.gif

From Dusk Till Dawn
Charizard @ Charizardite-Y
Timid - Solar Power ---> Drought
252 Speed, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 HP
- Roost
- Ancient Power
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower

So let me let you in on a secret, sunny day is every fire Pokemon's bff (not really a secret? Well too bad). Basically you're gonna want this bad boy as one of your team leaders, paired alongside his other fire pal. Mega Charizard Y became pretty common among the OU game after he was introduced due to Drought (a reason that I have come to expect was one of the many reasons Ninetales was used a lot back in the day.)

Overall, he's actually quite bulky. He can usually tank water hits pretty well but a rock move will surely kill him in a single blow (if the usual slow rock types can get one off on him).

Solar Beam and Ancient Power were added simply as checks. Solar Beam auto fully charges itself due to the prescence of the Drought, making it an almost instant kill for any poor little water types. Ancient Power was mostly added to check bulky flying types (Togekiss in particular) but it can also one shot any Talonflames it comes into contact with.

Roost, simple. Restore your HP if it happens to get low. And Flamethrower is it's obligatory STAB move which gets it's power upped thanks to Drought.

typhlosion.gif

Kill Your Darlings
Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Timid - Flash Fire
252 Speed, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 HP
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass
- Focus Blast

Typhlosion, why are you in RU you beautiful little darling? This little beast is an absolute monster when paired with Drought and the Choice Specs. I actually discovered this little guy after getting ANNIHILATED once when it used a Choice Specs, Sunny Day combo on me. (Paired with Ninetales to do so).

Send this out alongside your trusty Charizard and have it used Eruption, you'll be OHKOing almost everything in your path. (Bulky Water, Normal, and Fairy types will survive but that's what we have our buddy Charizard there for, right?)

I rarely see this guy get used in any meta and I want that to change.

venusaur.gif

Whiplash
Venusaur @ Leftovers
Modest - Chlorophyll
252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 SPD
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Venusaur is there as backup in case some Pokemon manages to take out your setup. His Chlorophyll ability gives him a nice speed up if your Sunny Day from Drought is still active and, being naturally bulky; Venusaur will tank most hits, especially while having a Leech Seed to restore it's health little by little.

Sludge Bomb is our fairy checker for this little guy, able to take out fairy Pokemon and poison others. He's mostly built to restore himself and is mostly the bulky gent of the team.

serperior.gif

Death Becomes Her
Serperior @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Timid - Contrary
252 SPD, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 HP
- Glare/Toxic
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain

You've seen this set before, it's littered all throughout the OU Meta, and for good reason. The Contrary ability is absolutely great, and when built around a Pokemon with a great movepool; it makes for excellent results.

I've seen Contary sets used more and more as of late, and I can see why. If you're able to keep blasting off Leaf Storms, you'll be pretty much set for OHKOing most Pokemon in your path. If you do decide to use a Life Orb, Giga Drain has been thrown in to help you regain some of your lost HP.

This set may also work well with a Choice Specs in order to boost SP.ATK, but I haven't tried it yet.

swampert.gif

Fight Club
Swampert @ Assault Vest
Adamant - Damp
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SPD
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

I love Swampert, he's a great Pokemon. Other than that pesky x4 weakness to Grass; but no matter. Pairing him with one of your fire types will work wonders in that sense. His Ice Punch packs an excellent, well, punch into any Grass types that are within his arena.

The Assault Vest was given to boost his Special Defense in order to hopefully save him from a Grass move that comes his way. (It actually protects from Giga Drain quite well; you can take about two or three of those depending on your luck.

Otherwise, he's built with physical sweeping in mind and provides great resistance to rock, ground, fire, ice, and exploding Pokemon.

blastoise.gif

Total Recall
Blastoise @ Leftovers
Calm - Rain Dish
252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 SP.Atk
- Aura Sphere
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic

And last, but not least we have our statuser/secondary bulk. This little guy, although not exactly the best at taking stuff out at times can be a viable asset with his Rain Dance and Hydro Pump combo. He can also use Toxic on opponents to slowly widdle them down while he gets his health back with ease.

Aura Sphere was added to deal with Steel, Dark, Normal, and Ice types.

So that's it. I tend to focus on doubles as I find it the funnest and best Metagame to work with. And with this team you'll probably get a lot of "awww all starters" or something similar when they view your team.

Any suggestions, comments, or criticism is welcome. While it's a pretty good team it's definitely not perfect, and well; it mostly focuses on the two frontal fire types. As such, the team was built with them in mind.​

EKZ1505

I grew to like bulky Charizard-Y more in doubles (especially with speed control support), but the max speed one can also work great. Get rid of Roost for Protect. Protect is arguably the best move in doubles, and necessary on almost everything that isn't Choiced, holding an Assault Vest, using Fake Out, or completely for support. It can help you stall out turns of opposing Trick Room or Tailwind, save you from Fake Out damage, and allow a teammate to take out a threat. I don't think Ancient Power is worth it, except for other Charizard, but you should have ways for the rest of the team to beat that. Flamethrower does more to a Togekiss than Ancient Power, even WITHOUT the sun:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Togekiss: 153-180 (40.9 - 48.1%)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Togekiss: 136-160 (36.3 - 42.7%)

Replace Ancient Power for Heat Wave, which is Charizard's best attack in doubles. Also, since you're mega, there's absolutely no reason to run Solar Power. If you happen to switch Charizard in when the sun is already up and you haven't mega'd, you'll just lose HP for no reason.

HP Grass on Typhlosion is completely unnecessary when you already have Solarbeam and two grass types. Again I would give it Heat Wave (and maybe Flamethrower too so you have a fire-type move that can't miss if your health is lower) over HP Grass or even Fire Blast. I really don't like Focus Blast in doubles due to the accuracy, but threatening the OHKO on Mega Kang is nice (although a full power Specs Eruption or Fire Blast in the sun can as well), but more importantly you mightttt need it for Heatran, who can absolutely wall 4 of your Pokemon otherwise.

Again, Venusaur needs Protect over Synthesis, especially so it can safely get the speed boost in the sun. Leech Seed is generally only good on the bulky mega. Sleep Powder (despite the accuracy) is a better option to take advantage of the speed. Life Orb can increase your damage output, and Energy Ball (or even a somewhat risky option in Solarbeam) can be potentially used to hit harder. 60 Spd EVs can also help you outspeed Adamant Scarf Lando-T and try to put it to sleep in the sun so it doesn't threaten your fire types as much.

I actually really like Glare on Serperior since it can paralyze ground types (like Landorus), and you could really use the speed control. Replace Giga Drain with Protect, as it's just tough to fit on a doubles moveset.

Most non-mega Swampert I've seen are actually better as a special- or mixed-variant. Swampert also gets Wide Guard, which can protect your team from Rock Slide and other spread moves. I would go Wide Guard over PUP. Rock Slide is another option to help with Talonflame and other Charizard.

I don't see how this Blastoise fits in your team at all. Rain Dance completely clashes with the rest of your team. The moveset I recommend is Fake Out/Follow Me (unfortunately it can't have both. Fake Out can help prevent Trick Room from going up turn 1 since you don't have Taunt and also potentially give a Pokemon like Charizard a free attack, while Follow Me can keep one of your sweepers healthy with redirection. Both moves can help with Talomflame, who can really run through your team), Scald, Ice Beam/Icy Wind (the speed control from Icy Wind can be very useful), and Protect/Toxic (I prefer Protect but I can see the value in Toxic wearing down certain bulky Pokemon like Cresselia).

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hmm, this is interesting. Doubles isn't usually my forte (plus this looks like a theme team and I don't touch theme teams) but I think I can point a few things out here. For one, Ancientpower against Togekiss.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 68+ SpD Togekiss: 116-138 (31 - 36.9%) -- 73.3% chance to 3HKO

While...

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 68+ SpD Togekiss in Sun: 195-231 (52.2 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only notable things you're hitting with it are Talonflame and opposing MegaZard Y. I'd drop it for Protect, a move which is basically mandatory on most Pokemon in doubles, and which you also have 0 instances of on your team. Tailwind would also be useful given how much of a pain in the *** Scarf Landorus-T is to you right now (I do believe a double Intimidate core of Mega Manectric and Landorus-T can basically 6-0 you).

4/6ths of your team is also bodied pretty hard by Heatran, another fairly common threat in Doubles. Mega Kangaskhan is a problem as well, being able to KO anything on your team with the combo of Fake Out and Return, and since you aren't carrying Protect on anything you pretty much can't stop it from getting at least one free KO, especially if it has Tailwind support to outpace Serperior.

I'm not an expert on doubles so I'll let someone who is give some more detailed and experienced feedback, but just at an immediate glance I can see there's several gaping holes in the team that would need to be patched in order for it to get very far.

EDIT: Ninja'd lol

Last edited: