1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Starter Pokémon Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee' started by Dragon Pulse, Apr 7, 2018.

1. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

Or a limbless snake that is /Fight, and uses holds and what not brawl.

2. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Yup, I just wanted to go for the doubly whammy of fire/fighting+humanoid, to voice all the complaints some players have with the fire starters to point out that no creature is completely safe from them *evil laugh*

3. paipr_christian

Lol...... I dont.

I want to see starters continue to "try" our new combos. Aka combos that each type hasnt had.

As it is each starter has repeated 3 combos, and had 4 orginal to them in final stage.

x3 Pure Grass, Grass/Poison, Grass/Ground, Grass/Fighting, Grass/Ghost.

×3 Pure Water, Water/Ground, Water/Steel, Water/Dark, Water/Fairy.

x3 Fire/Fighting, Pure Fire, Fire/Flying, Fire/Psychic, Fire/Dark.

Thats 9 types (12 if you count the pure Grass/Fire/Water starters) that havent been on a starter yet. As it is we have never had a /Rock, /Electric, /Bug, /Ice, /Normal, /Dragon on a starter. Not to mention all the combos that we haven't had on each starter type that have been on others.

4. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

personally I enjoyed how gen 2 did it with the mono typings, but a form change or a special form for each starter with an additional typing would be very glorious imo. I like the mono types because then they stay truer to their starter "type" instead of being put into two typings, but that's just my preference and matters not at all

5. paipr_christian

I get ya. I do wish they would let starters have that second type earlier. I dont mind so much the idea of first stages being mono type... but always get sad when I hear that the second stages dont share the final forms dual typing.

6. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

That i agree with, if they're going with duo typings, I enjoy when the second stages have the typing also. Gives you more of a choice if you like the typing of the last stage pokemon but you aren't enjoying the looks of it... you can always go with the second stage, which seem to look great if the last stage doesnt!

I actually like when the whole line is duo typed if the last stage is... was always sad that mudkip is mono water and not water/ground... he's the cutest but I don't want to get zapped, but torchik not being fighting makes complete sense lol.

7. PirateKing

PirateKing Well-Known Member

I’ve done it! I’ve cracked the code

Noticed a pattern in the last 2 gens, We’ve had a Girl one, a Bro one and a Fan Favorite in a fighting game one
    Girly one (Fire - Delfox, Water - Primarina)
    Bro one (Grass - Chesnaught, Fire - Inceneroar)
    Popular one in a fighting game (Water - Greninja, Grass - Decidyueye)

Therefore we can conclude we’ll get a Femenine Grass type, A tough Bro water type, and the Fire Starter will be the fan favorite and probably DLC for Smash

I’m kidding, but wouldn’t that be hilarious if it came true

8. PsychoKing47

PsychoKing47 Well-Known Member

I'd either like to see them go back to basics with mono-types, or I'd like to see an entirely different and unusual approach: each starter stays mono-type until its final evolution, where it then gains the type that it's weak to. Or, in other words, I'd like to see this:

Grass/Fire
    Fire/Water
    Water/Grass

It would make choosing a starter much more interesting, and the fact that they aren't weak to one another doesn't exactly matter, as your rival doesn't seem to use the starter strong against yours anymore anyway.

9. paipr_christian

Ive heard this said many times..... and personaly wouldnt want it. I do agree it be different, and interesting...... but a big part of me just doesnt want it on starters.

That said I love the idea on a trio of Pokemon. Maybe some what similar to the Pan/Simi trio, a trio of 2 stage mons thag evolce and gain those mentioned types. All the more interesting if instead of catching them in the wild they are gift Pokemon, and the one you get fills int the 2 types you dont have on gour starter?

10. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

From another thread:

I'd love a scorpion fire starter. There would be a lot of interesting design posibilities. Maybe something that looks very bulky/tanky in it's last stage. Though I also love the idea of a fire bear starter.

Though I also like the idea of a Fire Rhinoceros starter, the closest thing to a rhino we have is Rhyhorn, I believe, which, like many Gen 1 mons looks very "generic, vaguely dinosaur-looking monster thing" so I think a more obvious rhino would be nice.
    It could be a wooly rhino with flame-coloured fur or a more standard rhino with a flame pattern. Not sure about the typing; maybe pure fire, fire/steel or fire/ground.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  11. paipr_christian

Id love a rhino starter and agree its a shame the closest thing to a rhino we have ends up looking more like a dinosaur.

Ive always thought a Fire/Steel rhino with a steam engine/ steam punk design would be pretty sweet.

12. Marzbar

Marzbar Well-Known Member

I know it was fake, but I REALLY liked the grass lemur starter that held a berry in its tail. They could give it an ability that allows it to hold any berry in addition to the regular held item slot. Which could mean 2 Sitrus Berries on the one pokemon, or maybe a Focus Sash with a Salac Berry.

Would be amazing.

13. paipr_christian

Yeah I really like Seadmur too. Although the second and final stages the artist drew not as much.

....maybe an ability called Seconds; Held Berries are used twice before they are lost.
    Although would Harvest be better?

14. pokedigijedi

pokedigijedi Saiyan Jedi

I'm hoping for a fully evolved quadruped fire starter, for once I mean come we haven't had a quadruped fire starter since, arguably speaking, Typhlosion. Not sure what kind of type combo for it though as long as its not another Fire/Fighting type or something that looks like a Fire/Fighting type.

I don't have any ideas for the other two starters, I am just hoping they'll look animalistic when they fully evolve with little to no humanoid features

15. Marzbar

Marzbar Well-Known Member

Not Harvest, as it needs Sun support to be viable

16. paipr_christian

Aka make Fire attacks hurt more.

17. Friendshipper

Friendshipper Gotta Love 'Em All

I wanna a funny-looking lemur for the Grass starter,
    & a ground mammoth/elephant for the Fire starter,
    & a dragonair-like/lapras-like dragon for the Water starter!

Nah, lemur will be enough!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

If the Fire Starter Chinese Zodiac theory is true than that means we could have a starter based off a horse, bovine, goat/sheep, snake, and rabbit.

19. paipr_christian

I cant decide if I want this theory broke or not. I mean dont get me wrong, Id love a horse, bovine, goat/sheel, snake, or rabbit fire starter.....

...but at the same time it be interesting to get a Fire/Bug fire ant, scorpion, termite, spider, bombadier beetle, etc starter.

Plus I cant imagine how obnoxious certain corners of the community would get about this theory finally 'proven' false..... not that other portions arent equally obnoxious about the theory being true .

20. landipan

landipan Well-Known Member

I think it will be great if we could finally confirm the Chinese Zodiac theory or finally put it to rest. I'm very iffy about the theory myself at this point BUT I too love the idea of a horse/sheep/goat/rabbit starter. But knowing how GF loves to do the fire starters, a horse starter would end up looking like Bo Jack horseman, and a goat/sheep would look like a faun dude. >.>