• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Pokémon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodapop

Queen of Violet
What about a Pikaclone that's a starter as well? Like Fire/eletric or something similar? lol
Maybe not as a starter, but it could happen. Marill is the original pikaclone as the 'Aquamouse Pokemon', so anything is possible as far as type goes.

.....although would a Water/Ghost Kraken seem a little to similar to another tentacled Water/Ghost type we know?

tru, Jellicent, but I still like the idea of a Water/Ghost starter

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Maybe the general theme of the starters could be "times in human history", or if the guys at Game Freak want to be oddly specific, they could go with three different ancient civilizations and base each starter around one.
I'd pick Roman, Mayan, and Egyptian, but not sure which line should be themed after which civilization?

Sprinter1988

Maybe they could go with giving the pokemon the type that it is weak to as it evolves, so the Fire type become Fire/Water, the Water type becomes Water/Grass and the Grass type becomes Grass/Fire.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What about a Pikaclone that's a starter as well? Like Fire/eletric or something similar? lol
Legit, I doubt that will happen. The Pikaclones we get these days don't evolve at all.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Maybe the general theme of the starters could be "times in human history", or if the guys at Game Freak want to be oddly specific, they could go with three different ancient civilizations and base each starter around one.
I'd pick Roman, Mayan, and Egyptian, but not sure which line should be themed after which civilization?

Hmmm...

How about

-Grass/Steel golden Aztec inspired gorrilla
-Fire/Fairy pegusus based on greek myths of flying close to sun.
-Water/Ghost Nile river snake, eygyption based partial on Apep foe of Ra a serpant that eats the souls of the dead and lives in the ubderworld.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
A follow-up to my last post. My fan region has a history theme for the starter trio as well.

Grass: a moose that becomes grass/dark and is themed around human prehistory.
Fire: a snake that becomes fire/fairy and is themed around ancient civilizations.
Water: a lobster that becomes water/steel and is themed around pirates.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
A follow-up to my last post. My fan region has a history theme for the starter trio as well.

Grass: a moose that becomes grass/dark and is themed around human prehistory.
Fire: a snake that becomes fire/fairy and is themed around ancient civilizations.
Water: a lobster that becomes water/steel and is themed around pirates.
Funny you should mention a lobster Pokémon that is Water/Steel. I’ve wanted this for years. I even have the perfect name for it: Lobsteel.

Sodapop

Queen of Violet
What about Chinese/Greek/Indian cultures?

Grass+Fighting/Dark - a red panda(raccoon, not bear) wielding bamboo as a staff. +Att +Spd
Fire+Dragon/Poison - serpent with two heads engulfed in flames that gains more heads in later evolutions, based off a hydra +SpAtt
Water/Psychic - aquatic Asian elephant, final form inspired by Ganesha. Meditation is a central theme,+HP +Def +SpDef

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
What about Chinese/Greek/Indian cultures?

Grass+Fighting/Dark - a red panda(raccoon, not bear) wielding bamboo as a staff. +Att +Spd
Fire+Dragon/Poison - serpent with two heads engulfed in flames that gains more heads in later evolutions, based off a hydra +SpAtt
Water/Psychic - aquatic Asian elephant, final form inspired by Ganesha. Meditation is a central theme,+HP +Def +SpDef

Id love a raccoon grass starter. Grass/Fighting, Grass/Dark both work. Id also like to suggest Grass/Fairy. Considering how they are often portrayed as tricksters and magical creatures and there association with night time I could just see Grass/Fairy working for it. Plus bonus points if we get another not cute pink final stage Fairy type.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I'd love to see Dragon type make it's way into a Starter's final evolution typing at some point in time.(Not through Mega Evo)

My hopes are for a Water/Dragon, Grass/Ice, and Fire/Fairy type Starters, but I'm really open to anything that isn't Fire/Fighting.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd love to see Dragon type make it's way into a Starter's final evolution typing at some point in time.(Not through Mega Evo)

My hopes are for a Water/Dragon, Grass/Ice, and Fire/Fairy type Starters, but I'm really open to anything that isn't Fire/Fighting.

Man I love Grass type.... but boy does it suffer alot. From this trio of final types. The Grass/Ice type is x4 weak to the Fire/Fairy's Fire attacks. Both its Grass and Ice attacks are do neutral damage to the The Water/Dragon, and are resisted by the Fire/Fairy.

That said ultimately I dont mind those type combos. And would enjoy seeing each on a starter some day.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Both Generation 6 and 7 were innovative in terms of starter themes and typings. I hope the trend continues in the following generations and different type combinations are used. Hoping for Grass/Steel-Psychic-Dark, Fire/Fairy-Dragon-Electric, Water/Poison-Dragon-Electric trio(s).

Bus

I'm hoping at least one of the starters is unique typing wise. Last gen, Water/Fairy, Fire/Dark and Grass/Ghost weren't unique per se (well, Poplio line was), but I did appreciate them because it seemed like really unique typings for starters. Like some of the rest of you, I'm hoping for a theme amongst the starters as well:

Water/Fairy- Hippocampus (upper half horse; lower half fish). I know we just had a Water/fairy, but we've had Fire/Fighting 3 gens in a row and its still a unique typing, so another one wouldn't heard. I'd spec this one to be more Atk, Def, Spd oriented (with poor SpeD & low-middle Hp).

Grass/Dark- Naga. Heavy Hp, Spd, average attacks, and poor Defenses; possibility an ability like Steelworker as a Hidden Ability, but for Poison

Fire/Ghost- Griffin or Manticore; either would be pretty cool. Low Spd, High SpeD, SpA, and Hp.

Kage-Pikachu

Water/Ghost, Grass/Dark, and Fire/Fairy. I like that match up but I can't for the life of me think about what they should be. Anyone think Decidueye should have been Grass/Dark instead of Grass/Ghost?

Maybe the water type can be based on an extinct animal, preferably an amphibious one like Greninja. The Grass type starter could possibly be a...no idea. The fire type starter could possibly be similar in appearance to Victini as in to say a fairy looking Pokemon.

Water/Ghost: High Speed, High Sp Attack, Average HP, Average Sp Defense, Low Defense
Fire/Fairy: High Special Attack, High Speed, Average Defense, Average Sp Defense, Low HP
Grass/Dark: High Attack, High HP, Average Speed, Average Sp Defense, Low Defense

Hidden Abilities:
Water/Ghost: Levitate
Fire/Fairy: Pixellate
Grass/Dark: Intimidate

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Grass/Steel, Fire/Ground, Water/Rock. I like this one as it makes every starter extra weak to the starter type they are weak to (aka x4 instead of x2).

If we got this trio Id like...

Grass-->Grass/Steel--->Grass/Steel
Based on toads, namely the Emei Mustache Toad (it grows a mustache of spines during mating season)

Fire-->Fire/Ground--->Fire/Ground
Based on black tailed jackrabbit. Able to use its big feet to cause EQs and tremors.

Water-->Water/Rock--->Water/Rock.
Based on coral crab. Think of it as the water coral equivalent to Torterra. By its final form it have a coral community on its back.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.