• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Pokémon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Pulse

What are you expecting the starter trio to be like for the Nintendo Switch? Personally, I'd really like a Fire-type rabbit starter that becomes Fire/Fairy upon evolution.

PokeLys

Since Red version'98
I would like a return of the plain Fire-Water-Grass trio with no secondary typing, and see what they can come up with.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Fire/Fairy sweeper, Water/Poison bulky offense, Grass/Rock tank.
I guess they will have the same BST as the Alola starters for all stages.

Edit: Regarding their signature moves I'm guessing either a return to their base types(Fire, Grass, Water) or dual-type moves with their primary types being the base types(like Flying Press being primarily a Fighting move.) Would be nice if they were around 100-90 BP range.

Last edited:

landipan

I'd just like for the fire starter to not start out as a quad and go bi-ped again, I want them to think outside the box for once!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would like Game Freak to give secondary typings to the Fire or Water starter because not none of them so far have received secondary typings and only two Grass starters have, Bulbasaur and Rowlet. And like Decidueye, maybe Game Freak could put a twist on the typings of their final evolution.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I agree on this! Decidueye being Grass/Ghost was a big surprise for me, and I loved it.
Yeah, definitely. Like they could have a Fire-Ghost starter and it fully evolves into a Fire-Dark type Pokémon.

artichoke91

Maybe a Fairy/Steel/Fighting trio would be cool, just to 'switch' some ideas around - pun intended.

Otherwise, if it follows the typical formula... I don't know, really. Maybe a grass-type evolution line based off of the Goats in the village of Ordon from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess; I always thought they were cute.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
How would yall feel about this idea. For a Grass starter based on a Sloth.

In its base stage and first evo it is pure Grass type. Then in its final form it is a large Grass/Electric giant sloth.

The kicker is this simple concept.
Having stored all the solar energy it could for its final evolution. This Pokemon moves faster than any most would beleive possible by its size.

Basically the first 2 stages are slow and bulky, but its final stave has a Speed stat better than most if not all Grass type starters before it ( not counting M.Evolution)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I would love to see an Ice/Steel/Ground trio.

Maybe it can be Grass/Steel, Fire/Ground, and Water/Ice. It's even more interesting given we've never had starters with these typings.

landipan

I'd love a goat starter as well! And maybe it's final evo could be a old school style goat unicorn(think the gothic style unicorn sculpture by windstone).

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Considering the pattern of the last two generations (the secondary typings all being weak or immune to one another), I think we're going to get a Water/Steel or Water/Poison (hoping for the second one), Grass/Normal or Grass/Dark, and Fire/Bug or Fire/Fighting (ugh please don't let it be the second one AGAIN).

My guess? Grass/Dark, Fire/Bug, and Water/Poison.

KKS-Lapras

I agree on this! Decidueye being Grass/Ghost was a big surprise for me, and I loved it.

For me personally, it was one of the things I liked the least about Gen 7. I get it, surprise value and interesting typing to many people, but I had been holding out for a Grass/Flying starter for years, and in an instant, it was ripped away.

I guess I can only hope that someday, Game freak decides to add into the franchise, starters with final evolution typings of Grass/Flying, Fire/Ground, and Water/Flying.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I really want a Water platypus now! I’ve been saying for the last 15 years I’d like a water starter based on a Platypus.

As for the fire type, I’d like a quad-ped Pokemon that remains on all 4. It’s about time, I’m fed up of the last 3 gens hyping me up with revealing the fire starter on 4 legs only for its to switch to 2. Litten and Torracat took the tease even further, I was convinced Incineroar would remain on all 4 legs.

Ultra Beast Lover

The water starter could be a kelpie and a evolve into a water/ghost or water/dark type, a grass starter could be a unicorn and grass/fairy, and the fire starter could be a longma which is a dragon-horse hybrid and could be a fire/ground type

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Considering the pattern of the last two generations (the secondary typings all being weak or immune to one another), I think we're going to get a Water/Steel or Water/Poison (hoping for the second one), Grass/Normal or Grass/Dark, and Fire/Bug or Fire/Fighting (ugh please don't let it be the second one AGAIN).

My guess? Grass/Dark, Fire/Bug, and Water/Poison.

There is another interesting pattern to the starters. Repeating at least one of the previous gens secondary types.

Gen1 and 2 had pure Water.
Gen2 and 3 had pure Grass.
Gen 3 and 4 both had /Ground and /Fighting.
Gen 4 and 5 had /Fighting.
Gen 5 and 6 had /Fighting.
Gen 6 and 7 had /Dark.

So if this is a real pattern and continued at least one of gen 8s starters will be /Ghost, /Dark, or /Fairy.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
My biggest request is that the fire starter be a snake, so Game Freak won't be able to even joke about it becoming part fighting. I have an idea for a fire starter that is a snake, and eventually gains the fairy type. But that's just me

Orphalesion

My biggest request is that the fire starter be a snake, so Game Freak won't be able to even joke about it becoming part fighting. I have an idea for a fire starter that is a snake, and eventually gains the fairy type. But that's just me

...watch it turn into a Fire/Fighting Naga with a humanoid upper body :p

Status
Not open for further replies.