• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Seeking Advice

Pokemaster Ace

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've played the gameboy and ds games for years but now I want to get back into the trading Card Game, I collected the cards as a kid and my old collection is now lost. I really want to start collecting and eventually start playing competitively but I need help. What's the best set to start back at now? I've a budget of about €50 / $60 to play with.

I would like to try build a deck around one of the first generation just for nostalgic sake any advice what would be a one to work with would be great. Also what the best sites to order from etc would be awesome.

RNG_Reporter

Single specific cards. Just go to ebay. Trollandtoad.com has stuf also. But a bit pricey depending on the cards.

First gen will be tough to do.

Off the top of my head Ninetails and Vileplume are a few 1st gens that can give you a chance and be a cheap deck. 50-60$ isn't much.

Pokemaster Ace

Single specific cards. Just go to ebay. Trollandtoad.com has stuf also. But a bit pricey depending on the cards.

First gen will be tough to do.

Off the top of my head Ninetails and Vileplume are a few 1st gens that can give you a chance and be a cheap deck. 50-60$ isn't much.

I'll look into those deck types, yeah that budget is just for this month, hoping to increase it depending on how much I get paid. Is there any decks that you would recommend for a beginner forgetting the whole first generation thing. I found out there is a local tournament in a month and I'd be interested in competing in it.

teh_original_pikachu

Don't use my avi -_-
Go to a pre-release. For about 35 USD (30-35 pounds) you get 8 packs, a bunch of goodies, and get to play in a tournament with other people while learning to play. Since you are at the mercy of whatever cards you pulled, great players can make a crappy deck, and you can do good if you play smart.

There's regionals, which is April 13th and 14th (two day events) so I suggest buying the common cards that everyone needs for a deck (4 professor juniper, 4 N, Some Skyla and Bianca card depending on what you need, energy, etc. Then, buy other singles to complete your deck. For a cheap deck, try Rayquaza/Eelekrik, where Rayquazas can be bought in a tin (15-20 pounds for 4 packs and a really good card) and 4-4 Eelektik for a couple of dollars.

Try to find a league near you at https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/events/, so you can meet other players, trade cards and learn to play.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
I would like to try build a deck around one of the first generation just for nostalgic sake any advice what would be a one to work with would be great. Also what the best sites to order from etc would be awesome.

I saw the fact that this guys has no interest on buying into the game, therefore if people are saying go to e-bay, online stores , buy packs etc, etc thats because they have a one tracked mind of getting into tournament play which is much more pricy. The pre-release is a good idea, alot of nostalgic players come to collect the set and never attend league which is a good thing to see. There is also just going out there and buying the tins like keldeo, darkrai, mewtwo, rayquaza those are 4 good tins for any body who wants to go into the game with decent looking cards and good cards at that, also just buy a theme deck and mess around with it is always fun to do, have fun and good luck

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
i would get the giratina plasma storm deck, myself. there are a huge amount grass and psychics u could add to it, as well.

Pokemaster Ace

I saw the fact that this guys has no interest on buying into the game, therefore if people are saying go to e-bay, online stores , buy packs etc, etc thats because they have a one tracked mind of getting into tournament play which is much more pricy. The pre-release is a good idea, alot of nostalgic players come to collect the set and never attend league which is a good thing to see. There is also just going out there and buying the tins like keldeo, darkrai, mewtwo, rayquaza those are 4 good tins for any body who wants to go into the game with decent looking cards and good cards at that, also just buy a theme deck and mess around with it is always fun to do, have fun and good luck

When I was asking about good sites it was because I don't have any local stores that stock the tcg. Although in saying that I wouldn't mind ordering some of the old sets just to try recreate my old collection. The art on the cards doesn't overly bother me I'd rather create a good deck !:p I'm heading to my nearest store tomorrow so I'll have a look for one or two of those tins & see if they maybe have a starter set. When is the next set due out I'd love to go to a prerelease just to meet other players and get more advice. Plus maybe a few trades. Thanks for your advice :)

Pokemaster Ace

I like the sound of that deck. Sadly there is no regional here only a once a year event not including pre-releases I've looked into the local community of players and sadly there are very few. The event is not until October so I've loads of time to build my collection. Thank you for your advice.