• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Fennekin is absolutely badass. Definitely my favourite so far. Froakie probably the least so, which isn't to say he's bad.

I'm not one to predict secondary types so much (because I'm almost always wrong), but my initial thoughts are that Froakie will probably stay the same, or may even develop a water/grass combo. As for Fennekin and his/her "psychic" attack, it is worth pointing out that I think he/she was fighting a Ralts at that moment. Could just be a reversal/mirror coat move? Doesn't immediately suggest psychic.

I dont think that a starter would get a second typing that is the same as one of the other starters. Froakie looks like it can end up being pure Water, Water/Fighting (Journey to the west reference, like Infernape and Emboar) or Water/Ice.

I still support the idea that Fennekin (I will never get tired of that name) will end up as Fire/Psychic.

I think I'm most intrigued by Froakie. After having the Poliwag line and Tympole line, I'm curious to see how Froakie and its evos will differ in terms of what its evos will look like, its typing, and its moveset.

I'm also curious to see how Chespin will evolve. It's pretty cute looking now but if its partially based on a porcupine/hedgehog, I'm interested to see what it'll become. It might be more fierce looking as it'll evolve.

It seems that Fennekin seems like a popular pokemon right off the bat. To be honest, it's not my personal favorite. It looks like a cool pokemon and I like it. It's just that I feel like it's a pokemon that I'm not as curious about as the others.

Overall, a nice looking bunch of starters. Now we just have to wait for their actual typings and even further down the road, wait for their evolutions.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Oh, that's another great thing about this worldwide release: we won't have to learn all the Japanese names and then take a long time to get used to the Western names when they finally come out. As you said, most of us didn't even know the Japanese names for the new starters.

And best of all, we won't have people insisting on calling Fennekin Fokko, Chespin Harimaron and Froakie Keromatsu, because "those are the names we learned first!"

SilverFox

So sly
One again, the grass starter looks the least appealing to me. It's like they want me to always pick the water or fire starter. Fennekin is my favorite one this gen. And the one I will pick first.

Fire Stone

Using Roar 24/7
Usually I always go water-type on the first version I start, since I buy both.
It's usually a toss-up between grass-type and fire-type for the second version I play.
NOW, I may start with fire-type Fennekin. It's the odds-on favorite and although I'm not particularly impressed with Froakie -- I'm sure it'll look better after it evolves.
Usually the grass-types are average and fire-type is the let down...but, Chespin I just can't find any appeal in...
So it's all Fennekin/Froakie for me.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
And best of all, we won't have people insisting on calling Fennekin Fokko, Chespin Harimaron and Froakie Keromatsu, because "those are the names we learned first!"
I wonder of the other Pokémon that will be revealed have their international names with them too, or just their Japanese names. Like the evolutions of the starters, the typical regional bird, the Pseudo Legend, etc etc.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Just watch as Game Freak finds some unbelievable excuse to give Fennekin's evolutions...A FIGHTING TYPING.

I know people complain about how we have had Fire/Fighting starters for 3 gens, but it actually isn't bad. Fighting is one of the only types that a Fire type can be paired up and don't get screwed up. Imagine if Fennekin ended up as a Fire/Rock, it would totally be screwed.

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
Not too fond of any of the starters this time around, but I'll probably end up picking Froakie. First time I've picked something other than grass since gen 2, in fact.

Ver-mont

I know people complain about how we have had Fire/Fighting starters for 3 gens, but it actually isn't bad. Fighting is one of the only types that a Fire type can be paired up and don't get screwed up. Imagine if Fennekin ended up as a Fire/Rock, it would totally be screwed.

The problem is that we're getting that same combination multiple times in a row. It got tired and boring, as you see with everyone asking for it not to happen again.

It also prevents other interesting combinations, both for the Fire starter and for others (Dewott and Samurott would have been perfect Water/Fighting starters).

gliscor&yanmega

I'm not sure what to really think about the whole Dark/Psychic/Fighting secondary types for he starters, I do want them as it appears many do and expect it to be but I'm pretty sure it was like this last time too. Wasn't it a very popular idea that Oshawott would end up Water/Fighting due to it's evolutions and all, and showing to have Revenge, yet it ended up just being Water.

In terms of evolutions I can see:
Chespin-Hood thingy being expanded on. Tail being a lot more different. Maybe it'll get some claws, unless it's going to be a slapper. I see it having the same kind of body shape throughout.
Fennekin-Those tuffs(Or whatever they'd be called) in it's ears I defiantly see being expanded on, maybe even end up being actual fire...although maybe that would be a little much, but hey, at least it can honestly say "My ears are burning". I think it's tail could also maybe burst into flames(The whole thing is just going to be one giant fire fur ball). I imagine it's body being leaner(Something like Virizion's body shape, just even thinner).
Froakie-Whatever that thing on it's back is, it's getting expanded on. Maybe it's nose or whatever that is will get expanded on too. I see it getting bulkier upon evolving.

Zorgaz

Veteran
Cool to see a grass starter that's based on a mammal for once! Can't say i really like any of the new starters (yet), but time usually solves that. Excited to see their evolutions and type! Glad we probably won't be seeing Fire/Fighting. Fire/Psychic would be really cool. Those white balls in front of Froakies eyes remind me of small glasses, he looks like a intelligent Pokemon somehow.

Happy my bro got me a 3DS this Christmas, guess I'll have to get him one now.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I dont think that a starter would get a second typing that is the same as one of the other starters. Froakie looks like it can end up being pure Water, Water/Fighting (Journey to the west reference, like Infernape and Emboar) or Water/Ice.

I still support the idea that Fennekin (I will never get tired of that name) will end up as Fire/Psychic.

I like the Japanese name better: FOKKO! Froakie's just freaky.. I like it! xD

ShinyLucario

Team Gracidea <3
So I'm pretty sure I'll go with Fennekin for my main game and Chespin for my secondary (I always get both versions). Nothing wrong with Froakie, its a unique Pokemon, but I'm not as enticed by it as I am by Fennekin and Chespin. I'm sure millions are already planning to nick name Fennekin Mozilla. XD

[ACE] Zero

Just Sayin..
Froakie is ehh, Chespin is Ok but I will definetly be using Fennekin. I will get both versions to have all the Pokemon amd whatnot....October can't come soon enough. I just hope they continue this new Simultaneous release method..

I love how people are jumping all over the Dark/Psychic/Fighting secondary triangle again. Happens every generation without fail.
I s'pose anything is possible.

I like this batch. So much more than I liked the last batch. And the fourth gen's less-than-exciting starters are long forgotten at this point.

That said, I base my starter choice off of the final evolution. Or I have in the past, not sure if I'm gonna follow spoilers this year. S'gonna be difficult. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.