• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
Even at this point I agree with you with certainty that Chespin will have a secondary type. Especially because if it doesn't, as you said, only Torterra would be a graas starter with a secondary type.

Bulbasaur is grass/poison though. that means both water and grass have 2/5 dual typed Pokemon.

Isaac

Dragon Master
I wasn't necessarily saying that Bite/crunch are the only moves. Feraligatr can also use Thunder/fire/ice punch and Meganium (correct me if I'm wrong) can learn Stealth Rock. Also, Serperior can learn Dragon Rush, which was a new Dragon type move in Gen V. I was just saying that just because the move in the trailer could be psychic does not mean that will be it's secondary type.

But in my opinion the Psychic move used in the trailer was one of the weaker Psychic moves, which are used almost exclusively by Psychic Pokemon.
Also, Dragon Rush fits Serperior, he practically looks like a dragon.

Autis-misc

Abridger
I thought he said 1/5.
And then someone else said Torterra was the only pure Grass starter.

then 1/5 was Water. He would still be wrong at that, because Swampert is part ground as empoleon was /steel. Blastoise/Feraligatr/Samurott are the only ones? (I'm not entirely sure if Samurott is pure water, I never used it.

But that's another subject all together.

Isaac said:
But in my opinion the Psychic move used in the trailer was one of the weaker Psychic moves, which are used almost exclusively by Psychic Pokemon.
Also, Dragon Rush fits Serperior, he practically looks like a dragon.

I'll bring up something that was mentioned earlier. Things can change. Gamefreak could be using the move to trick us into thinking it, as it could be a pure fire type but only Have confusion. Things like that happen all the time.

Last edited:

shadow wolf

The one and only!
I'm thinking the typing for the starters is going to look something like this:

Grass/Dark
Fire/Psychic
Water/Fighting

The moves they used trailer looked like a Dark, Psychic, and Fighting to me. I also think this creates quite a nice counter-triangle. The moves in the Trailer were probably nothing, but I feel they were a clue to the typing.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I know all you guys like Fennekin and all that goodness,but personally I don't see it as a psychic type.One major reason for this is because fire has the most dual type starters as of Gen 5.Fire currently has 4/5, while water and grass are at 2/5 and 1/5,respectively.And don't say that "but it's different cuz there all fire/fighting shtuff". Because as I remember, Infernape was the only GOOD fire starter,and also happened to be Fire/Fighting. Next is the fact that that all starters in a gen have only been dual once, in gen 4.This probably isn't saying much, but I just think it should be pointed out and that Chespin Is highly likely to be a dual type.

Grass is 2/5 Venusaur-line and Torterra.

Isaac

Dragon Master
I'll bring up something that was mentioned earlier. Things can change. Gamefreak could be using the move to trick us into thinking it, as it could be a pure fire type but only Have confusion. Things like that happen all the time.
You're right, but odds are that wouldn't happen with the case of the Psychic move.
Also, I find it hard to believe Game Freak would use those particular secondary moves for no reason other than to provide some sort of hint. But that's possible too.

I'm thinking the typing for the starters is going to look something like this:

Grass/Dark
Fire/Psychic
Water/Fighting

The moves they used trailer looked like a Dark, Psychic, and Fighting to me. I also think this creates quite a nice counter-triangle. The moves in the Trailer were probably nothing, but I feel they were a clue to the typing.
Join the club

pokemonster2191

turtles=pwnage
I would like a kung-fu master evolution for Froakie, but I'm sure Fennekin will get the secondary fighting type upon evolving.

msiew10

maybe dry skin for Froakie
Iron Barb or Rough Skin for Chespie
Magic Guard or ability that psychic type often have.

Autis-misc

Abridger
You're right, but odds are that wouldn't happen with the case of the Psychic move.
Also, I find it hard to believe Game Freak would use those particular secondary moves for no reason other than to provide some sort of hint. But that's possible too.

We won't actually know what's going to happen until the final forms are revealed.

msiew10 said:
maybe dry skin for Froakie
Iron Barb or Rough Skin for Chespie
Magic Guard or ability that psychic type often have

Interesting theories. Froakie could have dry skin like Croagunk and Toxicroak considering it's based off of a frog.
Not quite sure how Chespin would have Iron Barb/Rough skin.
I'm thinking Flash fire would be more appropriate for fennekin.

That is, if Hidden Abilities make a return, then all of this wouldn't mater because then Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent would be the starter abilities.

Last edited:

TheEliteEmpoleon

Bulbasaur is grass/poison though. that means both water and grass have 2/5 dual typed Pokemon.

Ohyeah. I was just thinking of what the guy I quoted said.

then 1/5 was Water. He would still be wrong at that, because Swampert is part ground as empoleon was /steel. Blastoise/Feraligatr/Samurott are the only ones? (I'm not entirely sure if Samurott is pure water, I never used it.

Well he said respectively, so he was right about the water part, he had the grass part mixed up, which got me mixed up.

And Samurott is a pure water type.

OT, I really think that both Chespin and Froakie's evolutions will get secondary types, and Fennekin I'm still not sure about.

I just read a random fact that all porcupines float. So maybe Chespin will evolve from a hedgehog into a porcupine and because a porcupine/spike-lily pad pokemon, making him Grass/Water? Completely random speculation, and probably not very likely because it makes him receive neutral damage from fire attacks, makes him able to more effectively take on Fennekin, and impedes on Froakie's typing. But you have to admit, that'd be pretty cool

TheEliteEmpoleon

I just read a random fact that all porcupines float. So maybe Chespin will evolve from a hedgehog into a porcupine and because a porcupine/spike-lily pad pokemon, making him Grass/Water? Completely random speculation, and probably not very likely because it makes him receive neutral damage from fire attacks, makes him able to more effectively take on Fennekin, and impedes on Froakie's typing. But you have to admit, that'd be pretty cool

Idon't know... We already have the Lotad line as Grass/Water lilypads, so that's another problem.

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
I would like a kung-fu master evolution for Froakie, but I'm sure Fennekin will get the secondary fighting type upon evolving.

No. I have hope that GameFreak won't repeat this mistake again. And I really wish Froakie to be water/Electric for whatever reason, but I just know that won't happen. And, seriously, gamefreak wouldn't show us moves in the trailer if it wasn't to give us a hint. I hishly doubt they'd put the moves there "just 'cause...".

Autis-misc

Abridger
Ohyeah. I was just thinking of what the guy I quoted said.

Well he said respectively, so he was right about the water part, he had the grass part mixed up, which got me mixed up.

And Samurott is a pure water type.

OT, I really think that both Chespin and Froakie's evolutions will get secondary types, and Fennekin I'm still not sure about.

wait, I meant 2/5 water, because Empoleon was also a Dual type.

rocky505

We won't actually know what's going to happen until the final forms are revealed.

Interesting theories. Froakie could have dry skin like Croagunk and Toxicroak considering it's based off of a frog.
Not quite sure how Chespin would have Iron Barb/Rough skin.
I'm thinking Flash fire would be more appropriate for fennekin.

That is, if Hidden Abilities make a return, then all of this wouldn't mater because then Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent would be the starter abilities.
It's based on the Hedgehog which has needles. Poison Point is another ability I could see it getting.

TheEliteEmpoleon

wait, I meant 2/5 water, because Empoleon was also a Dual type.

Well I don't think I would forget that!

Yea, I was thinking that, too. Maybe the spikes would turn into cattails instead? I'm not really backing the idea, just throwing some more ideas out there to be thought about

Maybe Chespin could turn into a Grass/Ground type and be what you said except more marshy or swampy - muddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.