• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meismadatyou

Johto League Master
Fennekin has small wings on its hind legs, Froakie has clouds on his back, and Chespin has claws like an Excadrill. Flying/Electric/Ground types?

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I want Chespin spikes to turn into cactus looking things, just cause that how I see it, I want him to be a Grass/Dark type, but I would take Grass/Fighting to, I do not want him to be a Grass/Ground, sounds so boring....

I am not going to take any guesses though (just stating what I want to happen) in till I see at least the 2nd stage.

But unless they turn him from cute to ugly in his later stages, I am for sure getting Chespin.

msiew10

most none psychic learn extrasensory anyway and it is not exactly a very popular move, mostly there as a filler.

I think chespin will learn entry hazard move such as poison spike, stealth rock and spike.

we already have a boxing fox lol, mienshao

Last edited:
Maybe Chespin could turn into a Grass/Ground type and be what you said except more marshy or swampy - muddy.

I literally thought of that as soon as I posted the idea. I think that'd be possibility. And with that typing he could become more defensive based like a lot of people have been saying, or become a physical tank.

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
most none psychic learn extrasensory anyway and it is not exactly a very popular move, mostly there as a filler.

I think chespin will learn entry hazard move such as poison spike, stealth rock and spike.

I don't think it was Extrasensory. Seems more like confusion to me. And I really don't think GameFreak would add a move in the trailer as filler. They know what they are doing.

Eve of the Apocolypse

One Last Battle~
Perhaps Chespin would be Grass/Poison; as it will likely evolve into a spinier form, the needles on it may become poisonous. It's not entirely possible, but there is some chance it may happen.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
I would like a kung-fu master evolution for Froakie, but I'm sure Fennekin will get the secondary fighting type upon evolving.

I really don't want the second to happen even though I like two of the fire/fighting starters. I just don't want a fourth in a row...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
*Stares at poll with horror* Why are Chespin and Froakie suddenly making a comeback? They're virtually tied right now, and they're closing in on Queen Fennekin. I'm worried for her.

Froakie will probably have Torrent just like all the other water starter Pokemon. That sucks.

I expect Chespin and Fennekin to have Overgrowth and Blaze, respectively. The Starters always have the same generic abilities. Oh well. There's still a chance they'll have Hidden Abilities.

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
*Stares at poll with horror* Why are Chespin and Froakie suddenly making a comeback? They're virtually tied right now, and they're closing in on Queen Fennekin. I'm worried for her.

I expect Chespin and Fennekin to have Overgrowth and Blaze, respectively. The Starters always have the same generic abilities. Oh well. There's still a chance they'll have Hidden Abilities.
I'm dreadfully sorry you absolute favorite starter isn't everyone's also

flygonabsol99

Lol guys I forgot venusaur was poison don't kill each other. Wow. I started a debate and was logical. Cool. Unintentional too.

I also forgot my opinions on the starters themselves. Chespin us my favorite as of now, it just has a unique design I think. Fennekin is cool too,and is also unique as an idea but has little to no creativity in the design itself. I mean really,it's basically just a recolored fox-thing. Froakie is cool too but my least favorite of the three. Just so.... weird looking I guess.

However, I'm not making any final decisions just yet. Gonna wait for evidence first.

rocky505

I hope CoroCoro gives us examples of attacks for them. Like show the images of the attacks they're using and say what they are.

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
Lol guys I forgot venusaur was poison don't kill each other. Wow. I started a debate and was logical. Cool. Unintentional too.

I also forgot my opinions on the starters themselves. Chespin us my favorite as of now, it just has a unique design I think. Fennekin is cool too,and is also unique as an idea but has little to no creativity in the design itself. I mean really,it's basically just a recolored fox-thing. Froakie is cool too but my least favorite of the three. Just so.... weird looking I guess.

However, I'm not making any final decisions just yet. Gonna wait for evidence first.
yeah i wish they didn't announce those kinds of things until It's somewhere closer to the release

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Fennekin has small wings on its hind legs, Froakie has clouds on his back, and Chespin has claws like an Excadrill. Flying/Electric/Ground types?

That's fur. Clouds are also made of water. Lots of non-Ground-types have claws.

dewkage

Fox fire
i like fennekin the best. it is based on the Fennec fox which is know for it's long ears. and a fox starter is cool, and i think it will be fire/psyche cause it looked like it used psywave in the video.

and is it me or does Xerneas remind you guys of the movie princess mononoke.

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
i like fennekin the best. it is based on the Fennec fox which is know for it's long ears. and a fox starter is cool, and i think it will be fire/psyche cause it looked like it used psywave in the video.

and is it me or does Xerneas remind you guys of the movie princess mononoke.
it's really looks like a virizion to me but with bigger antlers and this isn't the thread to talk about the legendary

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
Mmm, Fennekin's move in the trailer looks a lot like Psywave to me... Confusion is possible, too. Thankfully most Fighting-types can't learn psychic moves so perhaps we won't be getting a fourth Fire/Fighting final form starter. Unless we end up trolled and Fennekin evolves into a bipedal fox ala Renamon. XD

As for the poll, well, something is spurring me to pick Chespin over the other two. And if it does turn out being Grass/Dark like some of the people on here are predicting, well, that'd be pretty darn awesome! (I'm game for Grass/Ground or Grass/Rock too.)

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
Mmm, Fennekin's move in the trailer looks a lot like Psywave to me... Confusion is possible, too. Thankfully most Fighting-types can't learn psychic moves so perhaps we won't be getting a fourth Fire/Fighting final form starter. Unless we end up trolled and Fennekin evolves into a bipedal fox ala Renamon. XD

As for the poll, well, something is spurring me to pick Chespin over the other two. And if it does turn out being Grass/Dark like some of the people on here are predicting, well, that'd be pretty darn awesome! (I'm game for Grass/Ground or Grass/Rock too.)
Grass/dark is super weak to bug and Grass/ground is super weak to ice

german suplex

hipster chespin
That's fur. Clouds are also made of water. Lots of non-Ground-types have claws.

They are neither. Judging from Froakie's names in other languages, they're bubbles/foam.

Japanese -> Keromatsu, From kerokero (onomatopoeia for a frog's croaking), matsu (bubble/foam)
French -> Grenousse, From grenouille (frog in french) and mousse.

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
Hmm, I wonder, since Fennekin is based off of the Fennec fox, then is the city from the Gamecube spinoff games, Phenac City, also based off of the Fennec foc? This may be the first time an idea used previously in Pokemon games is used again, as Phenac City is in one of the deserts of Orre yet looks as beautiful as LA would if it was based on mixing desert nature (AKA oasis-lake-body-thing) with human development. Though in another sense, Phenac doesn't count since it was made by Genius Sorority.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
The starters will probably have the same damn abilities as always, blaze/torrent/growth or whatever it's called.

I think the more realistic prediction for typings is that the Dark/Psychic/Fighting trio will be inserted simultaneously into the Water/Fire/Grass trio, but I personally would love to see a Grass/Rock, Fire/Flying, and Water/Fighting trio.

If we get a secondary typing of the Dark/Psychic/Fighting trio, then I would prefer Froakie to get the Dark secondary typing, as a lot of evidence can be presented that Froakie resembles a dorobou and could evolve into a shifty thief-like figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.