• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
unite the forces of foxe and froge to destroy the Hairbooger heretics and the Chespinata infidels

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
MidnightFennekin, I'd change that strikethrough.

Anyway, what's with this Froakie vs. Fennekin war? Both are awesome, we need to band together people!

Thank you! But Fennekin is still way better

It's just opinion anyway, you can't say one is better. Though people who like Froakie more are wrong.

I hope Fennekin has decentish Defence when fully evolved. Fire's main weaknesses are Physical based anyway.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

It's just opinion anyway, you can't say one is better. Though people who like Froakie more are wrong.

I hope Fennekin has decentish Defence when fully evolved. Fire's main weaknesses are Physical based anyway.

You're welcome And them fighting words!

And agreed, objectively at least And those who place Fennekin on a pedestal shall be struck down from the heavens!

Last edited:

0danmaster0

what? I like froakie more. not every pokemon is equally perfect and amazing like some people think.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
You're welcome And them fighting words!

And agreed And those who place Fennekin on a pedestal shall be struck down from the heavens!

Let's make an army to take down the overrated Squirtle and Charmander armies! We have Bulbasaur as an insider! Chespin's in! Are you, Froakie?

*gets infraction*

Anyway, I hope Fennekin learns Recover, Light Screen, Reflect and Safeguard. They fit her.

BurningWhiteKyurem

I'm sorry maybe a stupid question but how do the Johto starters fit in the context of the game?

The way I see it is that GSC/HGSS had an emphasis on tradition, and mythology. One aspect is that the starters keep their typings and never get changed because it harkens back to the Grass/Fire/Water tradition.

RPG Classes? Can someone explain what they are? Any link to where Masuda said that?

RPG = Role Playing Game (where the player plays as a character that's part of a category. For instance, a Warrior or Mage, or Rogue depending on the classes available in a game).

"Later on in the interview, Yoshida answered a bit more about them: “So with the inspiration for the region being France and the setting being closer to a European type thing. The three starters this time evolve in a way, we can’t really tell you what the exact details are, but they evolve in a way that make people think of one of those medieval RPG’s. So that'll be something in store for you.”"

Derp, it was Yoshida, not Masuda.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x...ource=fb&utm_medium=emp&utm_campaign=pokexyFB
(Go to page 6 of the photo).

john90

"Later on in the interview, Yoshida answered a bit more about them: “So with the inspiration for the region being France and the setting being closer to a European type thing. The three starters this time evolve in a way, we can’t really tell you what the exact details are, but they evolve in a way that make people think of one of those medieval RPG’s. So that'll be something in store for you.”"

Derp, it was Yoshida, not Masuda.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x...ource=fb&utm_medium=emp&utm_campaign=pokexyFB
(Go to page 6 of the photo).

In another interview Hironobu Yoshida (the grafic designer of GF) said:
" My favourite pokemon is Froakie. He is my choise because I like how it evolves. When you will start playing you will be able to see it yourself. I think his evolution is spectacular and I hope everyone will have the oportunity to see it".

Chimchar15

Okay guys all the starters are cool no need to try and shove one down each other's throats. Froakie looks sleek and cool, Fennekin looks elegant, and Chespin looks adorable yet cool. So no matter what preference we have they're all good.

Regality

Digital King
okay guys all the starters are cool no need to try and shove one down each other's throats. Froakie looks sleek and cool, fennekin looks elegant, and chespin looks adorable yet cool. So no matter what preference we have they're all good.

Love Froakie... Love him!

Eh-hem, anyway, how does everyone feel about the starters not getting mega evolutions whilst the Kanto ones do?

C.y.a.n

Ace Trainer

Eh-hem, anyway, how does everyone feel about the starters not getting mega evolutions whilst the Kanto ones do?

Disappointed really, I know that no Kalos pokes are getting megas but I think the starters should at least.

BurningWhiteKyurem

I'm not pissed about it. I wasn't really blown away by Kanto MEs, whereas the themes that the 1st stage of Kalos starters are suggesting is getting me more hyped for their final form (which is a nice change from Unova, where only Samurott appealed to me, whereas I hated Serperior and Emboar).

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank

That the Kanto Starters are even more overrated as heck now? Bulbasaur needed the attention though, because its Bulbasaur and awesome

I'm betting that in the next version they will get MegaEvos, for advertisement.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
It doesn't really matter to me. I'm actually glad they didn't give the Kalos starters MegaEvolutions (by what we know now). It gives the game a traditional feel while you can experience the new feature with your Kanto starter respectively.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Gods we have a Cat vs Dog kind of War going on here lol with poor Chespin stuck in the Middle in that kind of war I don't pick sides

Heres my order of Preference
Froakie
Fennekin
Chespin

But I like Chespin I like it more then I like Tepig who held the bottom spot last Gen and actually iv warmed up to Fenbekin a great deal because of Braixen and I warmed up to Chespin more because of Quilladin I don't hate or even highly dislike any starter I just like some more then others and while Braixen has a great design I choose my starter based on the first and last evo and right now im on the fence about wether ill choose Froakie or Fennekin it all depends on the final Evo

So don't get me involved in the Fennekin/Froakie War! *Hides* (Which I find funny actually because in the beginning people liked Chespin more then Froakie but now it seems the tables have turned)

fenniken

fire master
Calm down 0_o

Your giving us Fennekin Fags Fans a bad name.

Loving how Fennekin learns Wish and Lucky Chant, adds to the magic.
am
Calm it will be better if it knew psystrike

fenniken

fire master
Stop fighting
Chespin vs fennekin war begin I cant chosse !!!!!!!!

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
am
Calm it will be better if it knew psystrike
Braixen learns Psyshock, which is the common man's (Pokemon's in this case) Psystrike. Don't count on it learning Psystrike though since it is currently exclusive to Mewtwo and I'd suppose that it'll stay that way given the amount of Pokemon that learn Psyshock (granted most of them learn it through TM).

fenniken

fire master
Chespin vs fennekin chosse sides sides

Chimchar15

Braixen learns Psyshock, which is the common man's (Pokemon's in this case) Psystrike. Don't count on it learning Psystrike though since it is currently exclusive to Mewtwo and I'd suppose that it'll stay that way given the amount of Pokemon that learn Psyshock (granted most of them learn it through TM).

Yeah and Psyshock is pretty good as is anyway. Part of me wants to still use Fennekin as my starter to keep my tradition of using the fire starter first. I can't lie Braixen being more feminine than the other fire starters bugged me at first but hey if we can have female machoke we can have male Braixen. Plus this will be the first region where the fire starter had the advantage against the first gym. So right now I'm torn between Fennekin and Chespin.

Status
Not open for further replies.