• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakurai

I really hope the Gen 5 starters get megas, if not just for the fact that they're arguably the weakest starters in the franchise to date, both in terms of their BST and overall usefulness.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I never understand everybodies want for starters to become part dragon with or without mege evos but maybe that's just me.

I personally don't, Idon't want any Starter to get Dragon. Screw you, Charizard, you were the third-worst Starter.

I do want Meganium to be Fairy, though :p

WNDR

I personally don't, Idon't want any Starter to get Dragon. Screw you, Charizard, you were the third-worst Starter.

I agree I'm hoping with the introduction of fairy the immediate reaction of 'part dragon must mean its powerfuller....so I want it part dragon' and 'it's either reptile or amphibian? bet it becomes part dragon'!?!?' will be less and less popular.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I agree I'm hoping with the introduction of fairy the immediate reaction of 'part dragon must mean its powerfuller....so I want it part dragon' and 'it's either reptile or amphibian? bet it becomes part dragon'!?!?' will be less and less popular.

Yeah, I totally agree.

Since, like, none of the Mega Evos I want for Starters have Dragon Typing (well, except Serperior, but that hurts it more than it helps, and the only reason I want it is for STAB Dragon Tail <_<) :p
Meganium has Grass/Fairy, Typhlosion has Fire/Ground, Feraligatr has Water/Dark, Sceptile has Grass/Dark (although Dragon would at leasthave some sense with this one), Swampert has Water/Ground, Torterra has Grass/Ground, Infernape has Fire/Fighting, Empoleon has Water/Steel, Serperior has Grass/Dragon (it hurts it more than it helps), Emboar has Fire/Fighting, and Samurott has Wtaer/Fighting.

/whatIwant

Vixen1988

Fennekin all the way

Oh my gosh I would LOVE meganium to be part fairy, I've never considered that before but love the idea. I love meganium and fairy would be very fitting for it. I NEED this to happen now lol.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
Oh my gosh I would LOVE meganium to be part fairy, I've never considered that before but love the idea. I love meganium and fairy would be very fitting for it. I NEED this to happen now lol.

TBF if they never made a Starter part Dragon presumably because it would be to OP I don't see them making one Fairy with its new found power over Dragons lol

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
TBF if they never made a Starter part Dragon presumably because it would be to OP I don't see them making one Fairy with its new found power over Dragons lol

Fairy is quite balanced compared to Dragon though since its resisted by 3 things and is weak to 2 things which have decent stats and great attacks anyway. Also the main problem with dragons is their stats.

Odious

あなたは馬鹿
Fairy is quite balanced compared to Dragon though since its resisted by 3 things and is weak to 2 things which have decent stats and great attacks anyway. Also the main problem with dragons is their stats.

Yeah Dragon's can very easily get Pseudo-Legendary stats or close by it, I think 4 out of 6 of the Pseudo-Legendaries are Dragons don't think Fairy Pokemon will be THAT strong

TyranatarGojira

Grass/Fairy would have a 4X weakness to poison, and pick up a steel weakness, so I think that would keep it pretty balenced.

IMACHARIZARDGUY

Pokemon Master
doubt any of the starters will get a dragon typing if they get megas. If charizard didnt get one i doubt they will give it to the others. Besides its better without dragon. Its cool but can't just keep slapping dragon on random pokemon. Sceptile as a dragon no way. Grass / Dark at best or even fighting would be appropriate

doubt any of the starters will get a dragon typing if they get megas. If charizard didnt get one i doubt they will give it to the others. Besides its better without dragon. Its cool but can't just keep slapping dragon on random pokemon. Sceptile as a dragon no way. Grass / Dark at best or even fighting would be appropriate

Well they couldn't just bestow Dragon type before because it was a powerful typing. Now that it's joined the rest of the types in the "balanced" category, we can very well see secondary typings for the mega evos.
Hell, Ampharos got Dragon, why couldn't any of the starters? The way I see it, Charizard didn't change types because they've never really changed secondary typings, look at all the pokemon with the newly found Fairy type, all of which were mono (insert type).

IMACHARIZARDGUY

Pokemon Master
Ampharos being dragon is weird considering his design was poor. Just adding some fluff to his head :/ They could have given him red bull and he'd had wings to suit the dragon type. Starters as dragons mmmh, yeah i don't really like it personally. I think its best without Fairy, or Dragon for the moment. I'd rather them use those typings to pokemon who might not get as much exposure as the 'starters'. There will hopefully be lots of pokemon in this gen so im hoping a good number of them are pure dragon, fairy, electric and dark

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Yeah, I totally agree.

Since, like, none of the Mega Evos I want for Starters have Dragon Typing (well, except Serperior, but that hurts it more than it helps, and the only reason I want it is for STAB Dragon Tail <_<) :p

Contray Seperior w/ Draco Meteor.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Well they couldn't just bestow Dragon type before because it was a powerful typing. Now that it's joined the rest of the types in the "balanced" category, we can very well see secondary typings for the mega evos.
Hell, Ampharos got Dragon, why couldn't any of the starters? The way I see it, Charizard didn't change types because they've never really changed secondary typings, look at all the pokemon with the newly found Fairy type, all of which were mono (insert type).

The issue with starters I think it's more balance issues, Dragon resists all three of the typings that each have and Fire/Water alongside Dragon would be ridiculous as they have very few weaknesses, Grass to a lesser extent is in the same boat as well.

Odious

あなたは馬鹿
The issue with starters I think it's more balance issues, Dragon resists all three of the typings that each have and Fire/Water alongside Dragon would be ridiculous as they have very few weaknesses, Grass to a lesser extent is in the same boat as well.

Picture a Dragon/Fire Blaziken with speed boost...good god

mankarp

I think the same. I also think that if more starters get mega evos (i expect 2 or 3 at most) they will keep it's current typing (like kanto starters) and only change their stats and abilities.
If i had to guess typhlosion, meganium, serperior, torterra or samurott are the starters that could get a mega evolution. All the others are decent enough.

XXD17

Draco rex
Contray Seperior w/ Draco Meteor.

See, that's what I want, right there...contrary serp that is grass/ dragon with buffs in both defenses...don't have to worry too much about ice shard and it will be beast...it will also be a good way to finally introduce contrary snivy...which still isn't out...as for sceptile, I'm still for grass/ dragon...buff both attacking stats...multiscale ability of course....

BurningWhiteKyurem

I don't think balance is a decent enough reason (considering that we're not going to use them as the defacto starters of Kalos). Especially considering that dual-typed Pokemon with MegaEvolutions have never gotten their types changed post-MegaEvolution, only singular types had. Implying that GF wanted to keep the typing that they already had, and only improve upon its design/movepool/etc.

Shraeder

It's Lit
See, that's what I want, right there...contrary serp that is grass/ dragon with buffs in both defenses...don't have to worry too much about ice shard and it will be beast...it will also be a good way to finally introduce contrary snivy...which still isn't out...as for sceptile, I'm still for grass/ dragon...buff both attacking stats...multiscale ability of course....

If not Grass/Dragon, I'd want a Grass/Poison Mega Serperior.

Shouldn't this be discussed in the Mega Evolutions thread?

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I don't think balance is a decent enough reason (considering that we're not going to use them as the defacto starters of Kalos). Especially considering that dual-typed Pokemon with MegaEvolutions have never gotten their types changed post-MegaEvolution, only singular types had. Implying that GF wanted to keep the typing that they already had, and only improve upon its design/movepool/etc.

I meant in general, not just the Kanto starters, but besides the point. The thing is that Dragon removes all weaknesses from the Starters, removing the entire point of them being a balanced group, and (more so in the case of Water/Dragon and Fire/Dragon) and makes them resistant to all but a spare few types along with great coverage. That's a bit too much for the Starters as they'd have a strong advantage over all the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.