• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua Ring

Guy Next Door
I gotta admit. Delphox is starting to grow on me. After comparing it to other fire starters, I realize how much I like it (I almost never pick fire starters). I think once you get all the fanart out of your head and just take it for what it is, you start appreciating the real thing.

Everybody's doing the ranking thing, and it looks fun. Here's my own personal ranking of the starters.

Grass Type
1. Serperior
2. Meganium
3. Sceptile
4. Venusaur
5. Chesnaught
6. Torterra

Fire Type
1. Delphox
2. Typhlosion
3. Charizard
4. Infernape
5. Blaziken
6. Emboar

Water Type
1. Feraligatr
2. Samurott
3. Greninja
4. Empoleon
5. Blastoise
6. Swampert

Generation
1. Johto (I like every single starter in this generation)
2. Unova (Serperior is amazing. Samurott's cool. Emboar is bleh)
3. Kalos (Chesnaught's got its thing. Greninja is sleek. There's an elegance to Delphox which I'm starting to see now)
4. Kanto (I always thought they were overrated. Not bad, but not that great either)
5. Sinnoh (Empoleon and Infernape look good. Torterra doesn't)
6. Hoenn (Sceptile is my favorite from this generation, but none of them really appeal to me all that much)

I'm not a competitive player so I judge them on how attractive I think they are.

Evie Snow

I wanna play the ranking game too~ I'm in the same boat as Aqua Ring though - Delphox is growing on me more and more each day and I'm not a competitive player so I base them purely on looks.

Grass Types
1. Meganium
2. Sceptile
3. Serperior
4. Venusaur
5. Chesnaught
6. Torterra

Fire Types
1. Charizard
2. Delphox
3. Typhlosion
4. Blaziken
5. Emboar
6. Infernape

Water Types
1. Samurott! <3
2. Blastoise
3. Feraligatr
4. Empoleon
5. Greninja
6. Swampert (No I do NOT like mudkipz.)

Generations
1. Kanto (Because originals <3)
2. Unova (Because I remember falling in love with Snivy but then really wanting a Samurott, but hating Oshawott... first world problems haha.)
3. Kalos (Because of how much I adore Fennekin!)
4. Johto (I could never pick between the three, they were all so cool.)
5. Hoenn (I liked Treeko's evo line a lot, but was very 'meh' about the other two.)
6. Sinnoh (Worst generation imo. Only a couple of Pokémon only ever appealed to me and none of the starters did at all.)

TheFairyQueen

Top Coordinator
Eh i might as well,

Grass:
Meganium
Venusaur
Serperioir
Chesnaught
Torterra
Sceptile

Fire:
Delphox
Blaziken
Emboar
Typlosion
Infernape
Charizard

Water:
Blastoise
Empoleon
Feraligatr
Samurott
Greninja
Swampert

I can't pick one gen to represent my faves because i usually hate 1, love 1 and am inpartial to the other ahahhaha

aa_623

Grass Types (Hardest to rate, love them all)
1. Venusaur
2. Meganium
3. Chesnaught
4. Torterra
5. Sceptile
6. Serperior

Fire Types (Easiest to rate...)
1. Typhlosion
2. Charizard
3. Delphox
4. Blaziken
5. Infernape
6. Emboar

Water Types (Medium to rate)
1. Swampert
2. Feraligatr
3. Blastoise
4. Greninja
5. Empoleon
6. Samurott

Generations
1. Johto (Love them all, favorite generation in general, wish they all were dual typed, but glad they ALL stayed pure)
2. Kanto (Original and solid, always wished Blastoise had a second type though)
3. Kalos (Not exactly what I was expecting, but still good designs)
4. Hoenn (It wasn't until a few years later that I actually began to like Blaziken and Sceptile. Blaziken seemed overrated and Sceptile was just sort of there.)
5. Sinnoh (Were always sort of meh to me)
6. Unova (Worst overall in my opinion, none of the starters appealed or seemed that great, Serperior is decent)

PsychoIncarnate

Grass
1) Torterra
2) Venusaur
3) Chesnaught
4) Serperior
5) Sceptile
6) Meganium

Fire
1) Typhlosion
2) Blaziken
3) Charizard
4) Infernape
5) Emboar
6) Delphox

Water
1) Blastoise
2) Empoleon
3) Greninja
4) Swampert
5) Feraligatr
6) Samurott

Generations in order of favorite
Gen 1 - I like them all, with Blastoise being the best and Venusaur recently beating out Chariard as my second favorite of them
Gen 4 - I loved all the starters of this game. My first was Infernape because of his similarity to Blaziken in what he did, but Empoleon quickly became my favorite after using him. I like Torterra as well, even though he isn't quite as good competitively. He has nice STAB though for in game and a variety of attacks he can learn, better than ANY other grass type. Stone Edge, Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Super Power among moves.
Gen 2 - I like Typhlosion, though I originally started with a Feraligatr my first time through. The only reason I didn't pick a Feraligatr after my first time is because I like using the Shiny Gyarados and Feraligatr and Gyarados have too much in common, being physical water pokemon
Gen3 - Blaziken was the starter I used in this game, but I like Swampert as well. Never really tried Sceptile because I'm not much of a grass pokemon user
Gen 5 - I HATED the starters in this game. This was the first game I boxed them. I started with Serperior because he had the best design but his movepool was so shallow I couldn't stand it.

Last edited:

Garbodor.

Guys, how likely do you think it is that these final evo's are real?
I am hoping from bottom of my heart that they are not.

Rakurai

You'd have to be in denial to think they aren't real at this point.

People aren't going to fake countless dozens of images of three Pokemon drawn in the same style, shown at different angles, in different poses and in different locations.

Garbodor.

I am doing my best to like fennekin's final evo. I was just very upset it was not using a stick like braxien.
It's still the one I like most out of the 3 starters final evo.

MrDuck

I normally always say to take rumors for 95% confirmed and never 100%, but even I know that these are the real deal. There's even video proof, kinda hard to fake that I think. These simply aren't rumors anymore.

Ver-mont

I am doing my best to like fennekin's final evo. I was just very upset it was not using a stick like braxien.
It's still the one I like most out of the 3 starters final evo.

Well, it's supposed to be more powerful than Braixen. It simply doesn't need the stick/wand anymore.

Naito

I want to rate starters too.

Grass
Meganium
Serperior
Torterra
Sceptile
Chesnaught (but I am still going for Chespin)
Venusaur

Fire
Charizard
Blaziken
Typhlosion
Delphox
Infernape
Emboar

Water
Empoleon
Samurott
Feraligatr
Blastoise
Swampert
Greninja

Unredemption

It's alright, I got a huge shock and was disappointed when they were first released, especially for Delphox (oversized ear fluff and an awkward gown). I've since gotten used to Delphox and Greninja's designs - awesome fan art helped a lot. Chesnaught is still going to take awhile, but it'll sink in. I'm still waiting for official art, which I hope won't disappoint.

Their typings are pretty awesome though. Glad they chose the secondary typings a lot more carefully this time, and they really fit the individual starter's theme.

ECM

I would be content if they were real, which based on people's reactions, it seems likely. I love Chesnaught! That thing looks awesome! Plus, I'm glad because if it's true, it's going to be Grass/Fighting, which I prefer over Grass/Dark. I sort of pictured Fennekin's final evo looking a lot different, but I like Delphox. It seemed to go more for the sorcerer type look, as opposed to a witch/warlock look. And Greninja. Greninja looks awesome, but does anybody know for sure if it's Water/Dark? I've yet to find any confirmation on its type.

msiew10

Gen 2 -
Typhlosion - Mold Breaker (not so sure, he can learn Earthquake)
Feraligator - Sheer Force (same as previous Generation)
Meganium - Multiscale (Serve him well as a tank, allowing him to set up leech seed, giga drain and substitute)

Gen 3 -
Swampert - Marvel Scale (It can turn him into a tank, Rest + Marvel Scale)
Sceptile - Regenerator (he can abuse it with his speed plus substitute + U-turn)

Gen 4 -
Torterra - Solid Rock (Can make his ice type weakness less problematic and can handle more supereffective hits, flying type, fire type and bug type moves are nothing to him now) or Sandstream
Infernape - Adaptability (can abuse close combat and fire blast)
Empoleon - Drizzle (strong defensive pokemon)

Gen 5 -
Emboar - Huge Power (Emboar is always a powerful wallbreaker and his speed is always a problem but with Huge power, it is nearly impossible to block his attack)
Serperior - Contrary (same as always)
Samurott - Technician (he can spam Aqua Jet)

Last edited:
My ratings (based solely on appearance not typing/stats)
Grass
1. Serperior
2. Venusaur
3. Chesnaught
4. Sceptile
5. Torterra
6. Meganium

Fire
1. Charizard
2. Infernape
3. Typhlosion
4. Blaziken