• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seinthedark

Master of Darkness
Ah ok burningwhitekyurem, I was just initially flummoxed by the word hyperbolic, had to look at a dictionary for that one :)

Yeah but those stores that sold the games early have pretty much screwed themselves especially if nintendo takes legal action.

I really hope something is done against the stores tbh. Yeah, we got leaks and all, that's a plus, but the fact that there are people out there with the game before the worldwide release kinda burns me up.

On topic, I hope Delphox has a good movepool so it can at least try to beat out Greninja. Might be hoping against hope on that one.

Last edited:

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
I know, that video evidence was what I was suggesting as possibly faked :p

If that turns out to be fake I would personally salute whomever did it lol.

I really hope something is done against the stores tbh. Yeah, we got leaks and all, that's a plus, but the fact that there are people out there with the game before the worldwide release kinda burns me up.

Would you think this if you were one of the lucky ones?

Delphox seems like a potent CMer. Decent typing, good special stats and speed, probably versatile movepool with good STAB coverage.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Greninja seems to be the next Infernape movepool wise. Water moves, ice moves, extrasensory, bounce, maybe dragon dance, etc.

All starters seem mix-ups of former starters:

Chesnaught: good HP, high physical bulk and power, decent special stats and speed. Reminds a mix of Feraligatr, Swampert and Torterra.
Delphox: decent HP and physical resistance and power, high special stats and good speed. Reminds a mix of Venusaur and Serperior.
Greninja: low HP and defenses, good attacks and very high speed. Reminds a mix of Sceptile and Infernape.

That isn't a bad thing per se, but is interesting since they are very similar stat-wise to the various classes of the other RPGs.

Seinthedark

Master of Darkness

Delphox seems like a potent CMer. Decent typing, good special stats and speed, probably versatile movepool with good STAB coverage.

I honestly wouldn't want to be one of the lucky ones XD My friends and I had plans on release night, and if I got it before them, I'd feel horrible about it. Not only that, but I'd hate to have legal implications against a store I frequent. I don't like feeling responsible for others grief.

I honestly think Delphox could be used competitively, should its stats be rounded out well. It has the ability to be a welcome addition to a good special team.

BurningWhiteKyurem

(Rumour) Tbf, the lucky ones (Kosthedin) had to either return their copy of the game, or have the store face $2k fine.

I honestly wouldn't want to be one of the lucky ones XD My friends and I had plans on release night, and if I got it before them, I'd feel horrible about it. Not only that, but I'd hate to have legal implications against a store I frequent. I don't like feeling responsible for others grief.

I honestly think Delphox could be used competitively, should its stats be rounded out well. It has the ability to be a welcome addition to a good special team.

You're of the minority. One of the better people out there. And I agree about Delphox, it seems like a more rounded Alakazam. That Stealth Rock weakness though...

(Rumour) Tbf, the lucky ones (Kosthedin) had to either return their copy of the game, or have the store face $2k fine.

Fair enough.

Seinthedark

Master of Darkness
You're of the minority. One of the better people out there. And I agree about Delphox, it seems like a more rounded Alakazam. That Stealth Rock weakness though....

Stealth Rock, the bane of fire types. -.- You're right, that'd devastate Delphox.

PinkNinjaCatty

Dark Trainer
Try faking a video. Then say these are fake.

Greninja seems to be the next Infernape movepool wise. Water moves, ice moves, extrasensory, bounce, maybe dragon dance, etc.

since I don't know anything about how to execute the things necessary for even the most basic video editing, me trying it wouldn't prove very much.

However, fake video footage has been made for games before, and after consulting with several of my techie friends, faking video of what was shown wouldn't have been very hard at all, and also would explain several of the inconsistencies within the video.

Doesn't mean these ARE fake, but it is possible.

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
So wait, are some people actually still trying to say the starter evos are fake? I'm sorry but with multiple photographed images of the Pokémon on 3DS consoles from multiple sources, plus photographs of their summary pages, plus photographs of different views of the Pokémon (like viewing them from the front) and of the Pokémon in battle, not to mention actual videos of the games showing the second stage evolving into the final stage, it's flat out silly to be denying it at this point.

Remember when the Gen V starter evo artwork was leaked, and many of us (including myself) vehemently insisted that it was surely fake? I mean, there was so much wrong with the evolutions, this little part of the artwork didn't match up properly with the rest of the Pokémon, and do you really believe that Dewott would turn into that?! You'd have to be stupid to believe these are real...
And yet, they turned out to be real and we all looked like idiots. But at least then we had reason to doubt. We had a photograph of some artwork that could've easily been faked. However this time we have actual solid evidence from the games themselves, i.e. photographs and footage, and it just makes me wonder how people can still go on denying it even now.

But hey, I guess it makes much more sense for Nintendo/GameFreak to have gone and created three more different Pokémon models and sent them around to different sources to supposedly "leak" the starter evolutions. Of course confusing fans and getting them used to these evos only to suddenly surprise and most likely disappoint them with different evos in-game later makes so much sense.

Idk, sorry if I'm coming off as rude, it just to me seems like you're kidding yourselves if you honestly believe these evos are fake.

All evolution's from the newer pokemon retain traits. It seems odd that the starters, for the first time compared to other games, and unlike pokemon from these games, suddenly changed so much.

Sorry, sorry, have you seen Samurott? :L

Not to mention, to a lesser extent, Wartortle to Blastoise and Combusken to Blaziken.

And it was already explained how actually the starter evos show a natural progression, i.e. Chesnaught growing out of its shell, Delphox learning to use magic/psychic powers without the aid of the stick/wand, and Greninja losing its bubbles just like frogs irl do. So, yeah...

Ar-Rooh

Mega Absol Trainer
With the exception of Fennekin3 losing her stick, I don't see what is wrong with these starters at all. They're very creative, and I would be really upset if Chespin3 and Froakie3 ended up being fake.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I agree I wish that Delphox's wand became a staff that amplified her magical abilities. Sure you might be a strong Mage but if you could be better with the aid of a staff why not use the staff?

I've reconciled with Delphox's design and will certainly be choosing Fennekin just as I planned to ^.^

i always felt that if they were going with an RPG themed mage, they should have kept the wand/staff. every rpg i've played you had to equip your mage with something [a tome, staff, wand, whatever] fot it to do damage.... i've reconciled myself now, but i still would've LIKED the staff...

Seinthedark

Master of Darkness
i always felt that if they were going with an RPG themed mage, they should have kept the wand/staff. every rpg i've played you had to equip your mage with something [a tome, staff, wand, whatever] fot it to do damage.... i've reconciled myself now, but i still would've LIKED the staff...

Agreed. I read on a review that Delphox pulls it out to use it, but I'm not too sure if it has any merit.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I also would have liked a brighter colored robe and for the skirt to be shorter and more like a mid-length version of Braixen's skirt but whateves

If you haven't noticed Braixen is my favorite stage in the line

BurningWhiteKyurem

I'm disappointed that Delphox looks like a Taomon/Sakuyamon ripoff. I was hoping for something a big better and to have a full and aged wood staff as a weapon.

Then again, I was disappointed that Braixen wasn't quadrupedal.

Thank goodness Chespin and Froakie lived up to the hype. It's hard to pick one now...

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Well, I read a review where it said that Fennekin's evolutions use a wand to attack. So maybe Delphox truly has a staff hidden somewhere and uses it only when needed? Or better, it could create one out of thin air. After all, Alakazam creates the spoons with its own mind: "The spoons clutched in its hands are said to have been created by its psychic powers."

So who knows at this point?

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Agreed. I read on a review that Delphox pulls it out to use it, but I'm not too sure if it has any merit.

If this is true then I'm completely fine with it, as long as she still uses it. A staff would have been nice but eh

Seinthedark

Master of Darkness
When I think of Delphox holding out a staff, I think of that one scene in Lord of The Rings....

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Status
Not open for further replies.