• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero38

Self-made
Hmmm, Fofo could evolve into a fire/flying.

While there is a huge type disadvantage, It having red flaming feathers will make it the best pokemon ever <3

gliscor&yanmega

Man a lot of people are saying they all will be multitypes. Here's what I think:

Fire
Grass/something esle just too hard to tell right now
Water

I think a lot of people just like to have the starters end up being dual types, it's happened before, people probably want it to happen again.

duhu

I fail to see how Froakie can become a Psychic type. Chespin being either Grass/Dark or Grass/Fighting and Fennekin being either pure Fire, Fire/Psychic or Fire/Dark seem logical. Froakie, on the other hand, doesn't give me the impression of it gaining the Psychic typing. I still believe it will be Water/Fighting.
It could be fighting, although if it were, that'd probably make Chespin part Dark and Fennekin part psychic. I personally think it's most likely fox will be part dark myself.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
For Froakie, I could totally see it as a Water/Fighting. As a frog, it looks like he can have potential speed and agile moves to define his combat skills. That would be one bad*** frog.

Mystic Flygon

Tell me how torchic gives the impersonation of a fighting type, does charmander have wings? How about piplup, is their an ounce of metal on it's design. It's called evolution.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
I love the new starters. Fennekin is almost as AWESOME as Charmander. Reminds me of a Zorua-Vulpix mix. I love fire-types, and this one fits the bill. (Unlike Chimchar...grumblegrumble) anyway, if I were a grass or water type guy, I sure would look forward to it too. LOL.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Tell me how torchic gives the impersonation of a fighting type, does charmander have wings? How about piplup, is their an ounce of metal on it's design. It's called evolution.

Torchic doesn't give the impression of a Fighting type, but the concept it is based on (chicken fights) makes it a logical Fighting type.

As for Piplup. It is not a Steel type. Only Empoleon is a Steel type, and it design fits Steel types.

I hope they go back to making the final evolutions very simple . I felt that the final evos of 5th gen starters were way too embellished, making them look a little bulky and awkward. You don't need a bunch of gold trimming to show that a pokemon is really awesome.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The Grass-type Starter looks like Dewott, so I'm not really digging that one; I just don't like reductive designs. Anyway, the Water-type is interesting. It's not really cute but not ugly either. Sort of in the middle. The Fire-type seems really cool though. I'll probably choose it as my Starter Pokemon.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Fenekin, I can see it turning into a phy and fire type

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
Okay stupid name guessing by PKMN KING!

Chespin: Ches? + Pin (something pointy?=dark?) (Grass/Dark)
Fennikin: Fennick Fox + Telekinis (Fire/Psychic)
Froakie: Frog + a + Rocky Balboa (Water/Fighting)

Zorkel567

Pesonally, and of course this is just my opinion, I think Chespin, the Grass starter, looks really odd. It's design is not that great. And up til this point I have loved every grass starter, My first game was Emerald in which I have started with Treeko, and every time a new game has come out, I have always started with the grass Pokemon in LeafGreen, Diamond, SoulSilver, and Black. This one looks really bad, though, and I do not care for it in the slightest. Hopefully it will warm on me. The fire Pokemon is great, though, and the Water starter is alright.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Pesonally, and of course this is just my opinion, I think Chespin, the Grass starter, looks really odd. It's design is not that great. And up til this point I have loved every grass starter, My first game was Emerald in which I have started with Treeko, and every time a new game has come out, I have always started with the grass Pokemon in LeafGreen, Diamond, SoulSilver, and Black. This one looks really bad, though, and I do not care for it in the slightest. Hopefully it will warm on me. The fire Pokemon is great, though, and the Water starter is alright.

It looks like Chespin is turning into the Oshawott of this gen, much like Fennekin is the Snivy of this one. I'm sure both will end up as great Pokémon, and so will Froakie. This might be the best starters (IMO) since gen 3.

adam1990

Is it me or are they losing creativity in pokemon?

Chespin reminds me of an Oshawott/Dewott grass version.

Froakie reminds me of a Poliwhirl Seismitoad mixture.

Legendary Y reminds me of a bird from Windwaker when you go to the fortress.

Legendary X... So many like deerish pokemon, dont we have enough? It is like a mixture between Suicune, Verizion, Cobalion, Sawsbuck.

I will wait till further pokemon show up to give a final statement, but so far, I dont know yet.

But on a side note, the game looks AMAZING! Everything about it, and I am 100% excited to play it! Havent felt this excited in a while :D

You forgot Fennekin/Vulpix

What Nintendo needs to do is only allow some pokemon in the game, not all. There's already too many as is so they should just take some out, otherwise the pokemon seem trite (Toxicroak, Poliwrath, Seismetoad, and now Froakie).

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I wonder what their stats will be like.I can imagine something like Fenneckin's line having an emphasis on Special Attack and Speed,Froakie more Physical and Speed based with a reasonable Special Attack,while Chespin could be very defensive with a high Attack.

And I also wonder if they have a dual type in their base form...hmm...

XXD17

Draco rex
I LOVE them!!! They all look great!! Chespin, the pine tree/ chestnut/ hedgehog...I'm predicting grass/ rock...Fennekin, the adorable zorua/ ninetales hybrid I'm predicting fire/ psychic...Froakie, the traditionally rendered frog I predict water/ ice or pure water...I'm DEFINITELY picking Fennekin...Oh I just noticed, no reptile this gen...

Mystic Flygon

Torchic doesn't give the impression of a Fighting type, but the concept it is based on (chicken fights) makes it a logical Fighting type.

As for Piplup. It is not a Steel type. Only Empoleon is a Steel type, and it design fits Steel types.

You just answered your own question, don't use the pre-evos as a definite guide for their fully evolved forms. Plus we don't know what concept these starters are based on yet, Not many would assume torchic was based on ****-fighting if we didn't see any of it's evos.

BLADEDGE

loves a puzzle
It was just a Logical thought, but i'm glad i'm not alone

I hope Froakie's final stage won't be Water/Fightning, we have two fightning frogs already. One of them is Water/Fightning.
It's pretty obvious that Fennekin's evos will be Fire/Psychic because of it using some Psychic type attack (Psychic?). Chespin will most likely be Grass/Dark because of it using Night Slash.
The Fightning/Psychic/Dark trio would make Chespin weak to Froakie, Froakie weak to Fennekin and Fennekin weak to Chespin so it would be easier to defeat the starter of the 'opposite' type when it's fully evolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.