• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
Honestly, the new starters of any generation look weird to me until they become familiar. So, let's see...Chespin is my favorite, despite the fact that I basically never get into the Grass starters more than Fire or Water. Fennekin is okay, but I'm not sure. A Fire/Fighting evolution would be redundant, so I'm trying to imagine what secondary type (if any) its evolutions will have. Honestly, Froakie is my least favorite of the starters. I don't hate him, but he does not strike my interest nearly as much as Oshawott did for Gen V. At this point, I just want Chespin's family to be awesome, both in design and functionality.

FlyAsADunsparce

Okay stupid name guessing by PKMN KING!

Chespin: Ches? + Pin (something pointy?=dark?) (Grass/Dark)
Fennikin: Fennick Fox + Telekinis (Fire/Psychic)
Froakie: Frog + a + Rocky Balboa (Water/Fighting)

Well I don't know, but what I know for sure is this:

Chespin: Chestnut +? : it's based on a Chestnut cuz it's looking like one and it's a Grass type,
Fennikin: Fennec Fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennec_fox) + ? = It's based on a Fennec Fox.
Froakie: Frog + Soak?: it being based on a frog and Soak because it's water.

Too bad I don't speak German, French or Japanese cause by looking at those names you can really find out a lot too.

Lui123

It's gonna be dark/grass psychic/fire and fighting/water and I don't see why people like chespin I'm leaning towards choosing froakie but I didn't want to choose another water starter :p

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
You just answered your own question, don't use the pre-evos as a definite guide for their fully evolved forms. Plus we don't know what concept these starters are based on yet, Not many would assume torchic was based on ****-fighting if we didn't see any of it's evos.

You have a good point there my friend.

On the stats subject: As I stated before, I think Chespin Will have good defenses and average attack and speed, Fennekin will have great Special Attack and good speed, but not so high defenses. Froakie will have balanced stats, with a bit more focus on attack.

tailswalker

In my opinion, Chespin could actually end up being grass/dark, if they continue with the Chestnut=Dark association they had with shiftry.

If we are lucky we could end up with a hegehog/bakemono final stage! (crossing fingers for that)

pokemonbw

Beast Mode Trainer
Honestly, the new starters of any generation look weird to me until they become familiar. So, let's see...Chespin is my favorite, despite the fact that I basically never get into the Grass starters more than Fire or Water. Fennekin is okay, but I'm not sure. A Fire/Fighting evolution would be redundant, so I'm trying to imagine what secondary type (if any) its evolutions will have. Honestly, Froakie is my least favorite of the starters. I don't hate him, but he does not strike my interest nearly as much as Oshawott did for Gen V. At this point, I just want Chespin's family to be awesome, both in design and functionality.

Ive noticed that all of older generations pokemon have took awhile to get used to. Glad to see someone feels similar

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I definitely think that the new Pokemon will take some getting used to. I like the Fire-type fox Pokemon the most right now, but I'll probably warm up to the Grass-type and the Water-type later on once I've gotten used to seeing them in the games and in the anime.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Ive noticed that all of older generations pokemon have took awhile to get used to. Glad to see someone feels similar

I definitely think that the new Pokemon will take some getting used to. I like the Fire-type fox Pokemon the most right now, but I'll probably warm up to the Grass-type and the Water-type later on once I've gotten used to see them in the games and in the anime.

Just like I have stated before, Fennekin seems like the most well recieved starter of this gen. This is probably because of what you said. Since Fennekin has a resemblance to old Pokémon (Vulpix and Zorua) it seems more familiar to us, hence why it is really likeable.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
In my opinion, Chespin could actually end up being grass/dark, if they continue with the Chestnut=Dark association they had with shiftry.

If we are lucky we could end up with a hegehog/bakemono final stage! (crossing fingers for that)

i think it'll be a grass/rock.
a rock hard chesnut shell?

i think the fire one will be fire/dark or possibly fire/psychic, but that seems a bit too ninetales.

and i think the water one will be water/poison, cuz i dont think we have hade a poison frog yet, its always been fighting, psychic or ground but never poison.

spiller

You have a good point there my friend.

On the stats subject: As I stated before, I think Chespin Will have good defenses and average attack and speed, Fennekin will have great Special Attack and good speed, but not so high defenses. Froakie will have balanced stats, with a bit more focus on attack.

i agree with that and in regard to their stats do you think that someone will crack the 3ds before relese so that we will be able to know their stats.

Aurath8

Just like I have stated before, Fennekin seems like the most well recieved starter of this gen. This is probably because of what you said. Since Fennekin has a resemblance to old Pokémon (Vulpix and Zorua) it seems more familiar to us, hence why it is really likeable.

It seems to be between Chespin and Fennekin to me right now. I feel I should mention that so far there's very little hate going around, as if almost everyone is either neutral or on some scale of intrigued to excited about the new generation. Which is awesome.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
i agree with that and in regard to their stats do you think that someone will crack the 3ds before relese so that we will be able to know their stats.

As far as I know, some advance has been done into cracking the 3ds. But I don't think I would check their stats, I would really love to know their strenghts and weaknesses by using the three of them.

EDIT:

It seems to be between Chespin and Fennekin to me right now. I feel I should mention that so far there's very little hate going around, as if almost everyone is either neutral or on some scale of intrigued to excited about the new generation. Which is awesome.

I have already decided to choose Froakie. The minute I saw it I knew I wanted it. I also think it is awesome that little to none *****ing about the starters has happened.

Mystic Flygon

Also going to stats:

All 3 of them come off as stealthy, hopefully for once the water starter is the fastest, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fire starter stole that right.

Offensively I bet chespin is the main physical attacker, fennekin may be the special attacker, and Froakie can go either way for now.

Defensively I imagine is fair game for all but Chespin is my bet. Froakie keeping in theme with many other water-types probably has good HP

gpt11

i think the fire one will be fire/dark or possibly fire/psychic, but that seems a bit too ninetales.

and i think the water one will be water/poison, cuz i dont think we have hade a poison frog yet, its always been fighting, psychic or ground but never poison.

Toxicroak and crogunk where poison frogs but also fighting types

pokemonbw

Beast Mode Trainer

Very insightful point, i guess thats why i feel more like to it and the grass one

GreenSweeper

Pokemon = supr srs

Croagunk

------
10 characters

Dreamy

Did you forget about croagunk?

Personally I have my ideas about them, but I really don't mind what they turn out to be, it's gotta be better than the gen 5 starters

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
On the subject of stats, I hope they do a better job on the starters' stats than they did for Gen V. That's what has bugged me about the Gen V starters. I liked the ideas, but they were made too weak in my opinion. Especially Samurott, my absolute favorite starter of all time. It also didn't help that they tried too hard to balance them by making them all have the same Base Stat Totals. I think the starters need to be very solid, unlike how many of the starters are found in the lower tiers.

Last edited:

R_N

Well I don't know, but what I know for sure is this:

Chespin: Chestnut +? : it's based on a Chestnut cuz it's looking like one and it's a Grass type,
Fennikin: Fennec Fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennec_fox) + ? = It's based on a Fennec Fox.
Froakie: Frog + Soak?: it being based on a frog and Soak because it's water.

Too bad I don't speak German, French or Japanese cause by looking at those names you can really find out a lot too.

Chespin's entire thing is Chestnuts
Ches is obvious but some chestnuts are called "chinkapin"

It also doubles as adding in "pin" since, going by the japanese name, it's based on a hedgehog.

Fennikin probably references fire and maybe child with kin

Status
Not open for further replies.