• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ben1011bh

right after I watched the trailer I picked froakie mainly because water types are awesome and also because froakie looked like a pretty strong pokemon also I now have a new saying so I hear you like froakies

X Rat

Isn't Chespin supposed to be based off of some early mammal from prehistoric times? I thought I saw that somewhere...

Nope. Hedgehog. I do not know if they were around in prehistoric times, so you may not be wrong (rats were around).

TheEliteEmpoleon

Isn't Chespin supposed to be based off of some early mammal from prehistoric times? I thought I saw that somewhere...

You can never trust what you see during speculation time. I think Chespin's name in other languages imply that he is a hedgehog.

Zix Serro

Nope. Hedgehog. I do not know if they were around in prehistoric times, so you may not be wrong (rats were around).

Well of course there were mammals in prehistoric times; what do you think people evolved from, straight from dinosaurs?

I wish I could remember what it was that I saw that they said Chespin was based off of. It kinda looked like a rat/armadillo mix; it even had a tail similar to Chespin's.

It'd just make sense, since all the grass starters up to now have been based off of animals that have been around for tens of thousands, if not millions, of years.

X Rat

I heard someone in this topic imply Bulbasaur was based on the creature you mention. (Yes, I know what you mean, the name escapes me, I think it starts with G)

Froakin' Koga

Well, the thing everyone thinks is a hat is actually connected to his back. That is where his spikes will be most likely. (Already has a few)

That hat makes him so cool for some reason. when i first saw him i was ticked off because it looked like sentret and oshawott had a baby and it put on a green costume. but now im loving him. if froakie wasnt awesome then id go with the chestnut hedgehog

Actually, Remoraid and Octillery are based of off artillary and weaponry or something along those lines.

But a fish into an octopus. id love it if octillery was a 2nd evo that evolved from a small blooperesque squid and then evolved into a huge krakken.

Still kinda hoping for the grass/dark, fire/psychic, water/fighting typing as they evolve. Am I the only one? That way each starter has a STAB advantage against the other two, which would be brilliant, imo...

I love it and began with it ( the coincidental Golurk, Kirlia, and Patrat in the animation matches being trumped by these types ((except the weird kirlia bit)) but im starting to fall in love with a grass/rock fire/ghost and water/electric

shac

What many of the fan arts are ignoring are some of the more prominent design features of the starters. Chespin's 'hat', froakie's 'glasses' and 'fennekin's 'ear-hair'. I think these will be prominent parts of the final forms. Oshawott's scallops, Snivy's tail-leaf for example.

X Rat

About Froakie's glasses, in the trailer, they are clearly spherical orbs. Not flat, like glasses should be, so I think they are supposed to be bubbles or something. I think bubbles and/or foam will be a big part of his evolutionary appearance.

That hat makes him so cool for some reason. when i first saw him i was ticked off because it looked like sentret and oshawott had a baby and it put on a green costume. but now im loving him. if froakie wasnt awesome then id go with the chestnut hedgehog

I thought at first Fennekin would be my starter, but Chespin kind of grew on me. He looks unique and he is the first mammal grass starter. (I'm surprised I haven't picked grass starters more often, my favorite color is hunter green.)

Last edited:

TheEliteEmpoleon

About Froakie's glasses, in the trailer, they are clearly spherical orbs. Not flat, like glasses should be, so I think they are supposed to be bubbles or something. I think bubbles and/or foam will be a big part of his evolutionary appearance.

Foam is my bet too. They could do something cool with it.

EliJolesy

Best description yet!

Even though this is fan-made, I really like this picture of the 1st and 2nd stage evolved forms of Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie. They all look so confident.

Not a big fan of that Chespin evo. The Froakie looks a bit like therian Thunderus, but I like it anyhow. Fennekin's also pretty cool.

Glad you pointed that out, I noticed that a while back, too.

First day on serebii forums and im getting compliments. you guys are all awesome

Welcome aboard.

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
You can never trust what you see during speculation time. I think Chespin's name in other languages imply that he is a hedgehog.

I'm surprised we haven't heard any "Chespin is going to be a Speedy Grass type because he's loosely based on Sonic" rumors...

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I'm surprised we haven't heard any "Chespin is going to be a Speedy Grass type because he's loosely based on Sonic" rumors...

I think someone said that a few pages back lol XD and the fox was Tails and the frog is based on Froggy.

X Rat

Hey, maybe Chespin could be in the next Smash Bros. If Sonic returns, you could have battle of the hedgehogs!

Bearcubxox

When I was waiting for generation five.. I was really hoping for a grass/psychic starter :) which would mean another fire/fighting BUT at that time it was just ;257; and ;392;. But now that we have ;500; too, I knew that wouldn't happen, so I was hoping for grass/fighting, something like a bear maybe?

But I am glad that it looks like they are doing the reverse dark - psychic - fighting type thing this time round!

I am leaning towards Chespin since I have always loved grass type starters :) At the moment I believe I stand at probably...
Chespin: 70%
Fennekin: 25%
Froakie: 5%

For what is choose but I do like them all ^^ although I am worried Froakie will fall in with Chimchar's group for me, this group is the list of starter pokemon I've never trained to its final evolution..

dman_dustin

That's the problem.

It's design is rodent based. A Hedgehog is an Erinaceinae. Or whatever you would call a Hedgehog.

Chespin clearly looks like a Chipmunk, BUT for some odd reason it's somehow a hedgehog. Even a Porcupine is a rodent.

I mean I could see Chespin evolving into a badass Hedgehog, but in of itself, doesn't remind me of a hedgehog. It's too rodent looking.

^A Grass/Psychic Starter would suck... So many weaknesses. Unless it could back them up.

I hate when people use weaknesses as an argument for how good a Pokemon is.
Exeggutor, despite its many weaknesses, is a viable competitor.
Not saying I want Chespin to be Grass/Psychic. On the contrary, I'm hoping for part Rock or simply a pure Grass typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.