• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aa_623

I hate when people use weaknesses as an argument for how good a Pokemon is.
Exeggutor, despite its many weaknesses, is a viable competitor.
Not saying I want Chespin to be Grass/Psychic. On the contrary, I'm hoping for part Rock or simply a pure Grass typing.
I hate when people don't read all the way. I said unless it could back them up, as in as long as it can manage it's various weaknesses any Pokemon, regardless of type, could be successful.

Amanchu

That's the problem.

It's design is rodent based. A Hedgehog is an Erinaceinae. Or whatever you would call a Hedgehog.

Chespin clearly looks like a Chipmunk, BUT for some odd reason it's somehow a hedgehog. Even a Porcupine is a rodent.

I mean I could see Chespin evolving into a badass Hedgehog, but in of itself, doesn't remind me of a hedgehog. It's too rodent looking.

Well the rodent-like design may come from the fact that the hedgehog in japanese is 針鼠 (hari nezumi) which is also japanese for porcupine. and when we translate it literally it means needle rat. but i just dont see the chipmunk in chespin.
chespin look like this to me
hedge1.jpg
rather than this
http://animalstown.com/animals/c/chipmunk/wallpapers/chipmunk-wallpaper-02.html

P.S: I also forget to mention, chespin is actually the same as japanese name but more vague. (harimaron pinchestnut)

Last edited:

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
What if they go all 'samurott' on the starters last evolutions?

Chespin will evolve into a giant prehistoric armadillo.
Fennekin will evolve into a sfinx/lion.
Froakie will evolve into a frog fused with a zeppelin.

Imagine!

Chespin is supposedly based on a hedgehog, which are known for having pointy quills on their backs. A type of plant that has a reputation for being sharp and thorny is the bush. My guess is that Chespin's final evolution will have a bush motif, specifically, thorn bushes. The final evolution would have bunches of thorns and leaves on its back that act like quills, and when it curls itself into a ball, it would resemble a bush, making it a literal*hedgehog.

Credit to: Meta289

Chespin evo's: Grass/Rock. Derived from Chestnut. I say Rock due to nut's obviously not being the most breakable things in the world, and because it's also supposed to be based on a Hedgehog. If it's third evo rolls up like a Hedgehog, I can imagine it looking just like a nut. A rock hard nut.

Credit to: Blazing Tempest

X Rat

That's the problem.

It's design is rodent based. A Hedgehog is an Erinaceinae. Or whatever you would call a Hedgehog.

Chespin clearly looks like a Chipmunk, BUT for some odd reason it's somehow a hedgehog. Even a Porcupine is a rodent.

I mean I could see Chespin evolving into a badass Hedgehog, but in of itself, doesn't remind me of a hedgehog. It's too rodent looking.

The thing is, though, visually, a hedgehog could be mistaken for a rodent. Shrews are not rodents, either, but they look the part. (And the taxonomic equivalent for "rodent" for a hedgehog would be "insectivore", I believe)

Last edited:

X Rat

Exactly my point, actual hedgehogs do kind of look like rodents. (I am fairly certain that if you ask an average person if they are rodents, they would think they were)

Yeah, his snout should be more extended or whatever, and his teeth should be more fang-like, but his evos might look closer to the part. (I think the body shape works for a hedgehog, though; more than Sonic's, just saying)

Last edited:

ImAnOKIE12

Sexy Cowboy
I think they confirmed the starters to be grass/dark, fire/psychic, and water/fighting.
Im definitely using fennekin first, since I havnt liked a fire starter since 1st and 2nd gen. For once, i actually dislike the grass starter. Im mean ill probably use it at one point, but not start out with it. I will probably get Pokemon X the first time, then get Pokemon Y. I like fennekin, and Froakie, it just looks scary. I thought Chespin was just Pansage with a weird. Mask when I first saw it. legendary X looks down right alien to me. I really like Y legendary though. I can't wait to see the rest of the Pokemon.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I'd love to see Fennekin as a pure Fire starter. We had three dual-type Fire-type starters in a row, it is time to balance things a bit.
Dual-type starters:

Grass: Venusaur, Torterra.
Water: Swampert, Empoleon.
Fire: Charizard, Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar

Hopefully Froakie and Chespin will join the crew by having secondary types. Fennekin can join Typhlosion as a pure Fire starter.

Didn't you get the memo? On the Internet, "confirmed" means "someone somewhere said it". (At least that is what I read on wikipedia)

If that is the case, then yes, they "confirmed" the starters types. Haha.

shadowlord777

vigor mortis
so far i am in love with the fox. it's final form reminds me of kirara from Inuyasha which i enjoyed a great deal. I want it to be a fire/ psychic type becuse i would love a nice special sweeper on my team. I know that i may be asking alot but i want for it to be on the level of Alakazam as far as stats go, and yes i will name it kirara.

Have you guys seen this http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65248738
Rumor from 4 chan it seems really cool but also highly unlikely.

That is, indeed, a cool rumor.
But a rumor, nonetheless.

Pretty much matches the theory I heard elsewhere about the European influence on the starters. I heard Chespin was a knight, Fennekin a mage...
This is the first time I've heard of Froakie being a viking, though. Seems like an awesome idea.

EDIT:
so far i am in love with the fox. it's final form reminds me of kirara from Inuyasha which i enjoyed a great deal. I want it to be a fire/ psychic type becuse i would love a nice special sweeper on my team. I know that i may be asking alot but i want for it to be on the level of Alakazam as far as stats go, and yes i will name it kirara.

Oh, does it? Let me ask you, how would you know what it's final form looks like?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I've got high hopes for Fennekin, a fire/psychic starter would be very cool.

She's already a great Pokemon in my opinion, which is why I'm not too bothered about what her evolved forms will look like or what type combination they'll have. I'm much more concerned with Fennekin's popularity, which seems consistent so far, but that could change in a heartbeat.

FennekinFan

Actually, i know the most common theory concerning Chespin is that he is based on a hedgehog, but I heard another one that could also work. Not sure what site I heard this on, but Chespin is possibly based off of the worlds first mammal- which kinda makes sense considering it is the first mammal grass starter. It also resembles it a lot more than it does a hedgehog (although it does sort of look like a fusion of the two). Below is an image of the mammal in question :)

http://ijolite.geology.uiuc.edu/00SprgClass/geo143/megazostrodon.gif

john90

It IS 4chan, so you can't expect it, but it does sound awesome. If that's true, it'll be hard choosing a starter!
Probably fake..But Wow great imagination..
" The Starters are inspired by various European-centric archetypes…Chespin becomes a knight with chestnut armor, Fennekin a wizard with a majestic fur cloak, and Froakie a Nordic Viking with a thunder-cloud mullet/beard combo".
I could see all of them like this (Froakie my choice by far), all would stand on 2 legs actually.. And the legends switching types and colour?? O.O
It was really exciting however, until I read:
"The Starters become Grass/Steel, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Electric".
"Dark: Raccoon. Its tail serves as a burglar sack, and it’s got a stylish black mask".
Game Freak never gives has what we predicted.. And the fire/psychic starter, the (yeah I know it was for a dark froakie but always) burglar sack for a Dark Pokemon and thunder clouded frog were all in speculation these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.