• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Actually, i know the most common theory concerning Chespin is that he is based on a hedgehog, but I heard another one that could also work. Not sure what site I heard this on, but Chespin is possibly based off of the worlds first mammal- which kinda makes sense considering it is the first mammal grass starter. It also resembles it a lot more than it does a hedgehog (although it does sort of look like a fusion of the two). Below is an image of the mammal in question :)

http://ijolite.geology.uiuc.edu/00SprgClass/geo143/megazostrodon.gif

Interesting. It does look more like this thing than a hedgehog indeed.

FennekinFan

Interesting. It does look more like this thing than a hedgehog indeed.

Considering this thing looks like a carnivore/omnivore, it also makes it seem likely that he is going to break the trend of defensive grass types, and makes the grass/dark(or fighting) look a lot more likely too.

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin

Dreamy

I'm so excited to see Chespin's evos, I'm hoping for a defensive hedgehog, but I would like to see some sort of Atk oriented dark honey badger/plant creature.

The 4 chan "leak" sounds pretty interesting, kinda diggin all of the starter final evos and the other Pokes, but all of this is just too unlikely to be real, but wait and see I guess.

Last edited:
I made an account just to post my two cents on the evos of these new starters.

Chespin: With that hood and those claws, Chespin looks the type to be a physical sweeper. The hood gives Chespin the appearance of a theif, and the claws are his daggers. My guess is that Chespin's final form will bear a tiny resemblance to Robin Hood

My guess on the stats of the final evo:
Type: Grass/Dark
Specialization: Attack/Speed

Fennekin: Fennekin bears s striking resemblance to a fox-demon of Japanese folklore. To those of you that don't know, fox-daemon were magical foxes that had the ability to shape-shift into a human form. The females use this ability to lure unsuspecting humans - usually male - and then drain their life-force. My guess is that Fennekin would follow a similar evolutionary line, taking on a human-like posture and gaining the Psychic type, due to it using a Psychic move in the trailer.

Type: Fire/Psychic
Specialization: Sp. Attack/Speed

Froakie: The posture of Froakie in the release picture and the trailer show him as militaristic in nature. Additionally, the final form of every Water starter ALWAYS has some sort of auxillary weapon. Blastoise has cannons, Feraligater has teeth, Swampert has it's arms, Empoleon has it's wings (which have blades), and Samurott has a zweihander (made from the two shells on his forelegs) My guess is that Froakie will evolve into some sort of commando/sergeant toad.

Type: Water/Fighting
Specialization: Defense/Sp. Defense

That way, the starters can double-counter each other, eg.

Fennekin can use it's Fire attacks to fight Chespin, but Chespin also has an advantage with it's Dark moves.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
^ This Dark/Psychic/Fighting thing is getting annoying.

Considering this thing looks like a carnivore/omnivore, it also makes it seem likely that he is going to break the trend of defensive grass types, and makes the grass/dark(or fighting) look a lot more likely too.

Actually I do think Chespin will be a defensive grass starter. The only really defensive we have is Serperior. Venusaur is an annoyer, Meganium is a supporter, Sceptile is a sweeper, Torterra is kinda of tank but can deal decent damage and well, Serperior. However, considering that the last grass starter was 'defensive', maybe Chespin will follow an opposite way. I dunno. I don't mind it becoming a sweeper, as long as we don't get another freaking defensive/bulky water starter.

shadowlord777

vigor mortis
50/50 leaks but still it looks like a little version of her and if they keep them looking mostly the same my point will be the same. i do enjoy how pokemon is moving from jewels and colors other things now. how that gen six bring even more pokemon fun and is better then other gens so that battling can get even better. i was pleased with some of the update in gen five but what i really want is for the art work to improve. i loved how zoroark looked but garbodor was very unappealing for any reason. They did make Yveltal andall of the starter look fantastic and like pokemon

FennekinFan

Actually I do think Chespin will be a defensive grass starter. The only really defensive we have is Serperior. Venusaur is an annoyer, Meganium is a supporter, Sceptile is a sweeper, Torterra is kinda of tank but can deal decent damage and well, Serperior. However, considering that the last grass starter was 'defensive', maybe Chespin will follow an opposite way. I dunno. I don't mind it becoming a sweeper, as long as we don't get another freaking defensive/bulky water starter.

To be honest I would like all of this lot to be sweepers... but maybe that is just me :)

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin
I made an account just to post my two cents on the evos of these new starters.

Chespin: With that hood and those claws, Chespin looks the type to be a physical sweeper. The hood gives Chespin the appearance of a theif, and the claws are his daggers. My guess is that Chespin's final form will bear a tiny resemblance to Robin Hood

Type: Grass/Dark
Specialization: Attack/Speed

Fennekin: Fennekin bears s striking resemblance to a fox-demon of Japanese folklore. To those of you that don't know, fox-daemon were magical foxes that had the ability to shape-shift into a human form. The females use this ability to lure unsuspecting humans - usually male - and then drain their life-force. My guess is that Fennekin would follow a similar evolutionary line, taking on a human-like posture and gaining the Psychic type, due to it using a Psychic move in the trailer.

Type: Fire/Psychic
Specialization: Sp. Attack/Speed

Froakie: The posture of Froakie in the release picture and the trailer show him as militaristic in nature. Additionally, the final form of every Water starter ALWAYS has some sort of auxillary weapon. Blastoise has cannons, Feraligater has teeth, Swampert has it's arms, Empoleon has it's wings (which have blades), and Samurott has a zweihander (made from the two shells on his forelegs) My guess is that Froakie will evolve into some sort of commando/sergeant toad.

Type: Water/Fighting
Specialization: Defense/Sp. Defense

That way, the starters can double-counter each other, eg.

Fennekin can use it's Fire attacks to fight Chespin, but Chespin also has an advantage with it's Dark moves.
First time hearing that about Chespin.
You may think that about Fennekin, but he's also dubbed as a child of Vulpix and Zorua, you seem to be smart enough to know why Zorua is bolded.
Good insight on Froakie, I like that idea, though the weaponry doesn't seem too clear due to Feraligatr and Swampert.

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
She's already a great Pokemon in my opinion, which is why I'm not too bothered about what her evolved forms will look like or what type combination they'll have. I'm much more concerned with Fennekin's popularity, which seems consistent so far, but that could change in a heartbeat.

True. Her EXTREME popularity seems more volatile than any starter we've seen before. Right now, everyone loves her the most. But, what if she evolves into something less "attractive." Or, better yet, what if she evolves into another Fire/Fighting??

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
True. Her EXTREME popularity seems more volatile than any starter we've seen before. Right now, everyone loves her the most. But, what if she evolves into something less "attractive." Or, better yet, what if she evolves into another Fire/Fighting??

I don't think her type would matter too much. I mean if people could handle Tepig evolving into Fire/Fighting types in Generation 5, they should be able to handle the same thing happening to Fennekin in Generation 6. It's really not a big deal in my opinion. I've never understood the rage that Fire/Fighting type starters induce.

Honestly..neither of those two things are likely to happen..if Fennekin has awesome evolutions..i'll be picking her but if not then i'll go with Froakie..

philzone

Ready for trumpets

From what I can see, Chespin may be dark (or just learn a dark move. Sceptile learns night slash, but isn't a dark type), Fennakin may be psychic (but there are many non psychic types that learn psychic moves) , but i don't believe froakie is fighting. The "fighting" move may look like close combat, but looks more like fury swipes, or fury attack.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
From what I can see, Chespin may be dark (or just learn a dark move. Sceptile learns night slash, but isn't a dark type), Fennakin may be psychic (but there are many non psychic types that learn psychic moves) , but i don't believe froakie is fighting. The "fighting" move may look like close combat, but looks more like fury swipes, or fury attack.

Are you talking about their evolved forms or their current forms? Because I'm quite certain that their current forms have been confirmed to be pure Grass/Fire/Water types. And even if we're talking about their evolved forms, I have to wonder what led anyone to believe that Chespin's evolved forms could be Dark-types.

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin
Are you talking about their evolved forms or their current forms? Because I'm quite certain that their current forms have been confirmed to be pure Grass/Fire/Water types. And even if we're talking about their evolved forms, I have to wonder what led anyone to believe that Chespin's evolved forms could be Dark-types.
Nothing has been confirmed. Only their base forms have been 100% noted to be pure.
And Chespin's 2nd move looks like a potential Night Slash or Shadow Claw. People go for Night Slash due to the triangle for Dark/Psychic/Fighting.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination

Well, from what I can see, Chespin's move in the video might have been Aerial Ace, Night Slash or even Shadow Claw (It looks ridiculously alike Aerial Ace's animation from B2W2), but that doesn't necessarily mean it will evolve into Grass/Flying, /Dark or /Ghost. The move Froakie uses look more like Acrobatics than anything else, but again, I am not sure it will evolve into a Water/Flying thing just for this particular reason.

The weird thing is the obsession with Dark and Fighting. Yeah, the move Fennekin used is most likely a Psychic-type move, unless it used Me First to copy the move Kirlia was about to use. But we can't say for sure what moves Chespin and Froakie used, so at least to me, this Dark/Psychic/Flying theory doesn't make any sense.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Personally i think that Chespin will either be a Grass/Steel or a Grass/Rock...thoughts?
Hmm... Considering its design I think Grass/Rock or /Ground is way more likely than Grass/Dark.

These two types combinations are very interesting Grass/Rock with the right stats would be the boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.