• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearcubxox

I hate when people use weaknesses as an argument for how good a Pokemon is.
Exeggutor, despite its many weaknesses, is a viable competitor.
Not saying I want Chespin to be Grass/Psychic. On the contrary, I'm hoping for part Rock or simply a pure Grass typing.

Exactly, I just think it would be cool. I have a real big problem with people who think about pokemon purely based on "How can I never lose using it? Oh, it's not an uber/OU beast? Well not gonna bother then."

FennekinFan

What they don't see is that Rock is super-effective against all of Grasses weakness (bar poison), and I think it would make poison neutral damage?

XxVascoxX

I think grass/dark, mainly cause I think its colours will darken as it evolves.

Plus I like that type combo.

Yeah it will be awesome , and it will also go in par with the the claws.
But one is sure Chespin will most probably be a physical pokemon , but i don't think that any of the starter will be pseudo legendary.

Bearcubxox

I'm so excited to see Chespin's evos, I'm hoping for a defensive hedgehog, but I would like to see some sort of Atk oriented dark honey badger/plant creature.

The 4 chan "leak" sounds pretty interesting, kinda diggin all of the starter final evos and the other Pokes, but all of this is just too unlikely to be real, but wait and see I guess.

Sadly I think ill go mental if we have another grass defensive starter.... I just want for once a grass starter that's got higher physical stats than all the other staters in its generation...

Lucille

Exactly, I just think it would be cool. I have a real big problem with people who think about pokemon purely based on "How can I never lose using it? Oh, it's not an uber/OU beast? Well not gonna bother then."

I think like that. Got a problem? Pokemon always gets so boring post E4 the only thing to do is play online battles mostly and I don't want to lose every single time so of course I want to make a balanced OU team. I use my starter until I'm done the normal play through

Bearcubxox

I think like that. Got a problem? Pokemon always gets so boring post E4 the only thing to do is play online battles mostly and I don't want to lose every single time so of course I want to make a balanced OU team. I use my starter until I'm done the normal play through

Yeah I understand that but I enjoy replaying the game Nd training my pokemon in the game and battling online is fun but if I just had a generic OU team rather than a team of pokemon I like I wouldn't be interested... I'd rather lose 98/100 times with a team of pokemon I like than win 98/100 times with a generic team that doesn't reflect me at all...

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Yeah, let's hope the starters have bad types and stats, because that is the right thing to do. Seriously. I don't even play competitively, but I want the three new starters to have decent secondary types. Grass/Dark isn't decent and I am talking about two of my favorite types here, I want them to be usable, that way they will keep the popularity they have now and of course, the gameplay is better when you use good Pokémon.

ImAnOKIE12

Sexy Cowboy
Chespin and Froakie Im not sure, but Fennekin bring Fire/psychic would be pretty cool, and in Japan fixes represent mythical magic psychic stuff or something like that. And I said I think. I hope Chespin isn't grass/dark. And Froakie being water/fighting, I think thats to soon after seismetoad. My opinion though. But I hope there are a few more steel types, I really like them. I hope Chespin will be grass/steel.

willda

Fire starter

to a degree I do agree, every pokemon doesn't need to be a powerful sweeper. However I do believe all pokemon should have SOME viability post game. Pokemon can be supporters walls sweepers, wallbreakers, and tanks, but they need to Be SOMETHING, Because to be honest the story only last so long and like what AhTreyYou said competitive battling keeps the game fun until the next 3/4 years when a new generation comes out, so pokemon don't have their potential wasted by looking cool but being terrible in battle (looking at you Mightyena) let them at least have some niche where a player is encouraged to continue using them.

I agree I like my pokemon to be somewhat viable in Ou (or UU because it is currently more interesting due to less legendaries being on every team) so Its no surprise that I generally prefer the starters that look the coolest and are the most competitively viable, Like the Dream world Ability starters are all great (except probably meganium) So this gen I want a more powerful batch like gen 3 and gen 4, where all 3 starters were all Ou or UU with regular abilites, There is no reason IMO for a fully evolved pokemon to be terrible (EVER)

FennekinFan

Yeah, let's hope the starters have bad types and stats, because that is the right thing to do. Seriously. I don't even play competitively, but I want the three new starters to have decent secondary types. Grass/Dark isn't decent and I am talking about two of my favorite types here, I want them to be usable, that way they will keep the popularity they have now and of course, the gameplay is better when you use good Pokémon.

I don't know... grass dark is not as bad as most people seem to think. It gains an immunity from the typing, and only 1 extra weakness.

FennekinFan

Also, does anyone else think that there should be more grass moves like Power Whip/ Leaf Blade, to go with Chespins evolutions (if they are physical attackers)?

Hmm...In my opinion..all the starters have been pretty good...Gen 6 will be the same..

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I don't know... grass dark is not as bad as most people seem to think. It gains an immunity from the typing, and only 1 extra weakness.

It gain one immunity to uncommon type and a lot of weaknesses to common types, including a 4x weakness to Bug-type moves.
If Grass/Dark wasn't bad, Shiftry and Cacturne would be good Pokémon... But of course, they can try to make them usable with decent stats, but still.

Also, bar for Bug Buzz and signal beam they don't have that many good moves.

Dude, there are more usable Bug-type Pokémon than Fire, Psychic and some other types. Scizor, Forretress, Venomoth (with Quiver Dance), Volcarona, Durant, Genesect, Heracross, Accelgor (kinda), Ninjask, Armaldo, Yanmega and Galvantula would like to have a word with you. The times when Bug-types were a joke are gone.

Also, only Bug Buzz and Signal Beam? What about X-scissors, Megahorn, U-turn and Silver Wind (to some extent). Believe me, having 4x weakness to Bug isn't a good thing. At all.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Grass/Dark would work out fine. Yes, six weakness, but also six resistances and one immunity. Plus it can easily gain a Rock type move, taking care of most of it's weakness(Fire, Ice, Bug, Flying).

Drohn

You are counting on them coming up against a bug that has enough attack/SpA to wipe them out. Barring recent generations there aren't exactly many of those. Also, bar for Bug Buzz and signal beam they don't have that many good moves.

There's also x-scissor which is pretty common and even many non bug types can learn it. In general I don't mind the grass/dark typing though, but I would prefer something else

Status
Not open for further replies.