• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Psychic is more common than fighting or bug, darks only two weaknesses.

...You gotta be kidding me.

Grass/Dark would work out fine. Yes, six weakness, but also six resistances and one immunity;

No, it wouldn't work "fine". Six resistances don't make for the six weaknesses.

Anyway, I give up. Let's just pretend that Grass/Dark is a good type combo and that Chespin's final evo would be awesome. Ha.

gliscor&yanmega

Why not? It's the same amount, plus it has an immunity. And again, if it gets a Rock type move(Which shouldn't be that hard, Rock Slide and Stone Edge can easily happen) then it has something against four of it's weakness.

FennekinFan

Psychic has 67 pokemon- a tenth of the pokemon population, and is the fifth most common type, bug has 63 and is 6th most common, fighting has 41 and is the eleventh most common.

I said that psychic had more than either of them, not both of them combined. :p

Drohn

Why not? It's the same amount, plus it has an immunity. And again, if it gets a Rock type move(Which shouldn't be that hard, Rock Slide and Stone Edge can easily happen) then it has something against four of it's weakness.

The thing is that the opponent will always try to go for the super effective move, and with 6 choices, there is a good chance that most opponents will have a move that is super effective.. So the many resistances don't really mean that much, since there are plenty of other moves to go around them. But I think a good move set could counter this problem if it does become Grass/Dark. I would still prefer it to be a different type though.

john90

They will make them pure grass/fire/water and troll us for the umpteenth time, you'll see..
And I can betmy arm we won't get the Dark/Psychic/Fighting combo..
Grass/Dark and Grass/Psychic suck with 10000 weaknesses
Ninetales can learn a lot of psychic moves, we already have a psychicish (and dark too) fox ..What about a fire/fighting fox? -.-
We already have a fighting frog..

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

The thing is that the opponent will always try to go for the super effective move, and with 6 choices, there is a good chance that most opponents will have a move that is super effective.. So the many resistances don't really mean that much, since there are plenty of other moves to go around them. But I think a good move set could counter this problem if it does become Grass/Dark. I would still prefer it to be a different type though.

It works both ways. Yes, a Pokemon that has a Fire, Ice, Bug, and Fighting type moves would be difficult for it to deal with, but on the other hand, a Pokemon with Psychic, Water, Electric, and Ground type moves would be in a horrible position against Chespin's evolution.

Bearcubxox

Well obviously its not like Im saying that a pokemon should be like grass and dark but have the stats of a Metapod but look like a Zekrom lol
In game I used Shiftry before and he was awesome, Ive also used Exeggutor before and he was awesome too. And I also know that Exeggutor has got a good place in competitive battling in a sunny day team, I agree all pokemon should have a place to be, somewhere that they work. But I dont think a type defines that.. It would be like saying that a pokemon with no weaknesses but looks like a dog ate chocolate then gave birth to it and its first gargled words were "Kill Me" would be a better pokemon that a grass and dark starter pokemon?

I dont like pretty much ALL pokemon in OU bar one or two, so when I play with my mates we generally just use whatever we like with the one rule of both using the same ammount of legendary pokmemon. But fair enough its your opinion you would rather have a competitive team of pokemon you don't that win most of the time, rather than play with pokemon you do like that lose more than they win..

I would rather have a team of pokemon I like, Ive used a Venusaur in my competetive team since before he got chlorophyl, even now mine still has Overgrow lol and its not like Ive never won a battle competitively.

But returning to the point....

I am most likely to choose Chespin and if they are doing the Fighting/Dark/Psychic thing then any of those 3 would be awesome, as long as it doesn't focus on defensive moves... I just would love a speedy sweeper for once thats stronger and faster than the other starters... Grass never gets the Ace in the hand lol

ninjanerd

...You gotta be kidding me.

Anyway, I give up. Let's just pretend that Grass/Dark is a good type combo and that Chespin's final evo would be awesome. Ha.

I rather agree.... The only thing that could save a Grass/Dark combo would be amazing stats. Out of the top 10 OU pokémon, 7 of them carry super-effective moves against it.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
I heard gf might be releasing two new types, light and sound. Whatif a starter got one of those types?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
What kind of type would "Sound" be? Seems WAY too ;083; to me....

XD couldn't resist

Techincally, sound already exists, as Sojndproof and stuff like Grass-Whistle, it's like a sub-type.

Roxie you should've hacked yor Whirlipede to get Grasswhistle!

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I rather agree.... The only thing that could save a Grass/Dark combo would be amazing stats. Out of the top 10 OU pokémon, 7 of them carry super-effective moves against it.

Why does a grass/dark type need to be "saved" - because you say so? What about the millions of players who don't care about the tier system or use "OU" pokemon? You're acting like a pokemon's type defines how good it is...period. That's nonsense!

We don't even know this hypothetical pokemon's ability - it might pull an Eelektross's levitate on us and surprise everyone.

Crystal Power

WHA!!! Chespin is loosing. D:

No, I can't live this way. I don't wanna live on a this planet if Chespin is in last place. *faints*

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
WHA!!! Chespin is loosing. D:

No, I can't live this way. I don't wanna live on a this planet if Chespin is in last place. *faints*
No it isn't, Dunsparce is. Don't worry, Chespin'll get the spotlight after Blaziken kills off all Fennekin once it turns out to be Fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.