• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Anybody remember this quote: "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."
Typing does not define how good a pokemon is, it is how you use it that defines how good it is. Sure, it could have six weaknesses, but you're all assuming it will be a sweeper. It could very well be a supporter so it comse in, sets up Leech Seed or whatever and then leaves before much can happen or it could get a really good moveset which lessens the impact of the weakness like Pursuit so it can switch into something it is good against and when that pokemon is switched out use Pursuit, or Sucker Punch so it can get in a powerful hit before it gets hit. You never know...

Tadej

Fakemon

So... I was working on my fakemon... its still in progres... but just to show you...

Fenikin:
-Legs needs to be fixed!!!!
-Tail needs to be fixed!!!!
-add some more things
-fix everything agian :p

[spoil]002.jpg[/spoil]

+this one is meant to be pure fire type... for fire/psyhic i have better ideas...

Chespin:
working on it

Froakie:
I have no idea... even for typing

If anyone likes it... and have photoshop or something like that... I can scan in on a better scaner... and send it to you to color it and stuff... when is finished! :)

+Sorry for my bad eanglish, and if I made some mistakes

493pkmns

secret suicune
I rather like your representation, though I think it's more suited to a second form than a final evolution because it seems just to have grown a bit. We often get drastic changes between first and third form pokemon.

Also, I have a nice combination of gimp, paint, and PDN if you want me to do the coloring when you're finished.

shac

So... I was working on my fakemon... its still in progres... but just to show you...

Fenikin:
-Legs needs to be fixed!!!!
-Tail needs to be fixed!!!!
-add some more things
-fix everything agian :p

[spoil]View attachment 7830[/spoil]

+this one is meant to be pure fire type... for fire/psyhic i have better ideas...

Looks a bit like flareon with stretched out legs. What are you thinking in terms of its color scheme?

I am curious as to what you will do with Chespin....

Edit: silly me! Meant to say that you can send it to me for coloring and stuff :)

Tadej

I rather like your representation, though I think it's more suited to a second form than a final evolution because it seems just to have grown a bit. We often get drastic changes between first and third form pokemon.

Also, I have a nice combination of gimp, paint, and PDN if you want me to do the coloring when you're finished.

yeah... I know it doesn't look like its final form... but I had a drawing of like big and powerful fenikin...but fenikin doesn't look like a big armored tank... it looks so elegant... if you understand what I was traying to say.... but I will add some things...

+I won't be able to finish it soon... I broke my arm... but I'll try to be fast

Looks a bit like flareon with stretched out legs. What are you thinking in terms of its color scheme?

I am curious as to what you will do with Chespin....

Edit: silly me! Meant to say that you can send it to me for coloring and stuff :)

sh*t it really looks like flareon... when I was drawing it I didn't think about that... I will add some things to change it....
about chespin... Im not shure yet... still picking thrright idea... I have a lot

ninjanerd

Why does a grass/dark type need to be "saved" - because you say so? What about the millions of players who don't care about the tier system or use "OU" pokemon? You're acting like a pokemon's type defines how good it is...period. That's nonsense!

We don't even know this hypothetical pokemon's ability - it might pull an Eelektross's levitate on us and surprise everyone.

I wasn't intending to sound like typing is everything, it isn't. I meant, rather, that it will need better stats to lessen the disadvantage from its typing.

Also, every grass starter has Overgrow as an ability, just saying.

shac

yeah... I know it doesn't look like its final form... but I had a drawing of like big and powerful fenikin...but fenikin doesn't look like a big armored tank... it looks so elegant... if you understand what I was traying to say.... but I will add some things...

sh*t it really looks like flareon... when I was drawing it I didn't think about that... I will add some things to change it....
about chespin... Im not shure yet... still picking thrright idea... I have a lot

Sorry about your arm. no need to rush....take your time. I am sure GF is in no rush to show us the evolved forms of the starters.

Does anyone think Chespin can take its hat off? Like Scrafty can.

Aurath8

Anybody remember this quote: "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."
Typing does not define how good a pokemon is, it is how you use it that defines how good it is. Sure, it could have six weaknesses, but you're all assuming it will be a sweeper. It could very well be a supporter so it comse in, sets up Leech Seed or whatever and then leaves before much can happen or it could get a really good moveset which lessens the impact of the weakness like Pursuit so it can switch into something it is good against and when that pokemon is switched out use Pursuit, or Sucker Punch so it can get in a powerful hit before it gets hit. You never know...

Karen's quote doesn't really apply here imo, but you have a point. Between typing, movepool and how compatible they are they define the pokemon as whole. I would prefer a Grass/Steel type or something, as typing does heavily influence how good a pokemon is and a Grass/Dark typing will hold Chespin back. If you're going to give 3 pokemon to every single player you might as well make them pretty good pokemon. The Unova starters felt like a burden in comparison to Hoenn or Sinnoh.

I wish people weren't so dead set on Psychic/Dark/Fighting though. Other trios exist such as Rock, Flying, Fighting and many others that could fit the pokemon more. Just look at Sinnoh, that achieved the exact same effect. For example, how about Grass, Fire/Psychic, Water/Poison? Fire/Psychic because Fennekin probably used it in the trailer, Froakie because some frogs are poisonous and Chespin could just end up pure Grass.

Froakin' Koga

Alrighty folks I sat down and decided what I want Chespin to become and i think its actually possible:
He becomes Grass/Rock and the hat thing becomes a full on coat with pricks sticking every which way and his hands become mace like and his feet stay mole like.
The hat grows over time until the prominent spines become crown like.
His belly stays smooth while his back is very prickly
I think that his appearance will be like a sleeker Excadrill.
It might be a stretch but what if he can roll up and become mobile similar to Scolipede.

Rock type seems to match the prehistoric themes a bit plus the prickle theme.
Steel is VERY viable but i dont think they will do a defensive one right after Ferrothorn and an attacking Grass/Steel would be sweet but not as effective as a Grass/Rock.
He seems very physical and rock would help him alot more than Steel would.
He would become the first grass starter to actual stand up to Ice types, Bugs, Fires, and Flying types.

Statwise he would be a crossover between Torterra and Samurott.
A lil higher Speed than Samurott but less Attack and Defense than Torterra.
I feel he will have higher attack than defense though.
More like a Bulky Sweeper than a tank. And with Grass/Rock he will carry just enough resistance and just enough defense ( fighting is usually physical but aura sphere and focus blast would wreck) to survive a hit and ruin someones day

Movewise he would be allowed to make a more practical use of physical moves that Torterra just couldnt pull of like night slash and aerial ace.
A moveset that looked like Power whip, Stone Edge, Earthquake and filler physical move
Give it a choice scarf and it becomes hard to stop.
And if it can roll up like i mentioned earlier then steamroller is maybe an option, possibly breeding required though.

And thats about it.. Im really falling in love with this Chestnut but it wont make me stray away from Froakie. Chespin will be the most curious of the evolutions to me though

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Just a little fix: Ice and Bug does double damage against Grass/Rock, so it wont be able to stand up to it.
Although I've to admit that the Flying resistance is actually quite cool to have.

Froakin' Koga

Just a little fix: Ice and Bug does double damage against Grass/Rock, so it wont be able to stand up to it.
Although I've to admit that the Flying resistance is actually quite cool to have.

It would still stand a chance to them though. Ice Beam is a huge problem but no pokemon is perfect. Bug Buzz is also trouble.
Every pokemon needs a weakness. Just switch from pokemon like Froslass and Accelgor but It can hold its own against the likes Beartic and Scizor.

Its funny how you take the two types with the most weaknesses and they make a pokemon with only Four weaknesses.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Oh, sure. I don't mean He's unusable, it was just that little fix. It's actually the best dual type suggested for Chespin so far IMHO. I hope it stays as long as Froakie gets its part Fighting :eek:bsessed:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
It would still stand a chance to them though. Ice Beam is a huge problem but no pokemon is perfect. Bug Buzz is also trouble.
Every pokemon needs a weakness. Just switch from pokemon like Froslass and Accelgor but It can hold its own against the likes Beartic and Scizor.

Its funny how you take the two types with the most weaknesses and they make a pokemon with only Four weaknesses.

Actually Scizor's steel typing means it would have a double advantage over Chespin, especially if it has Technician and Bullet Punch.

And yeah that dual typing is one of the best in terms of combating weaknesses for grass types, it's interesting how despite that GF hasn't tried the typing again after Cradily. I think with your proposed stats it could work for making a perfectly good Pokemon.

Froakin' Koga

Oh, sure. I don't mean He's unusable, it was just that little fix. It's actually the best dual type suggested for Chespin so far IMHO. I hope it stays as long as Froakie gets its part Fighting :eek:bsessed:

Unless Froakie becomes a meditating sage with aura sphere or Focus Blast then ill pass on fighting. Hoping for Electic even though it sound a tad too good to be true. Volt Switch STAB. My God.

I wish people weren't so dead set on Psychic/Dark/Fighting though. Other trios exist such as Rock, Flying, Fighting and many others that could fit the pokemon more. Just look at Sinnoh, that achieved the exact same effect. For example, how about Grass, Fire/Psychic, Water/Poison? Fire/Psychic because Fennekin probably used it in the trailer, Froakie because some frogs are poisonous and Chespin could just end up pure Grass.

I wish people weren't so dead-set on a reverse triangle... What's the appeal? Dark/Fighting/Psychic would be such boring predictable typings.

Froakin' Koga

Actually Scizor's steel typing means it would have a double advantage over Chespin, especially if it has Technician and Bullet Punch.

And yeah that dual typing is one of the best in terms of weaknesses for grass types, it's interesting how GF hasn't tried the typing again after Cradily.

I would hope it would be faster than scizor and enough defense to survive a bullet punch. and a Stab mach punch. Physical Bulk to help the multitude of physical fighting moves and steel moves. but Ice and Bug Buzz would mess him up. Same with high special attacking fires.

But yeah I think they tried to make a physical Cradily with Torterra and gave it Ground to become offensive. Then Ferrothorn came and was pretty much Cradily 2.0. but now I think this is the generation that GF tries to right the wrongs it made like it tried doing with the hidden abilities last gen *long stare at politoed and every pokemon that had sturdy*

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
This is more and less how I envision Froakie. I'm not an artist, but I tried to make it simple since I tend to like those design more. It's a sketch anyway. No clue about the color scheme.
Froakie Evo.jpg

Kinda like a frog-lion (?) with a pipe 'cuz pipes are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.