• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
For all the Chespin fans out there, what rumored design are you more excited for....

1.) The "Chespin is based on a medieval knight who's chestnut shell will make his armor and shield" theory

2.) The "Chespin is based on a Robin Hood style thief. His current hoodie will grow giving him a cloak-like look" theory

3.) The "Chespin is going to become a grass assassin who will use leaves and his talon'd feet like daggers" theory

4.) The "Chespin will eventually become consumed by his chestnut shell, turning him into a giant hard-shelled behemoth" theory

Personally, I'm hoping for 2 or 3. Where as 1 and 4 would give us nice typing (steel or rock), a thief or assassin design would be very unique. Plus, there's no guarantee we'd get the obvious dark or fighting type combo for that concept. The preferred rock or steel could still work (steel or rock-like leaves that function as daggers).

Last edited:
For all the Chespin fans out there, what rumored design are you more excited for....

1.) The "Chespin is based on a medieval knight who's chestnut shell will make his armor and shield" theory

I'd like to see this one, with either a Pure Grass, Grass/Rock, or Grass/Steel typing.

I'm a fan of the Euro-trio theory, wherein Chespin's a knight, Fennekin's a mage, and Froakie is a jester or thief (or apparently a viking, alternatively).

The reason being I'd like to see them comparable to Link (the heroic knight), Zelda (the magic princess), and Ganon (the thief king) respectively, since I'm a bit of a Zelda fanboy. haha

X Rat

2.) The "Chespin is based on a Robin Hood style thief. His current hoodie will grow giving him a cloak-like look" theory

3.) The "Chespin is going to become a grass assassin who will use leaves and his talon'd feet like daggers" theory

4.) The "Chespin will eventually become consumed by his chestnut shell, turning him into a giant hard-shelled behemoth" theory

Personally, I'm hoping for 2 or 3. Where as 1 and 4 would give us nice typing (steel or rock), a thief or assassin design would be very unique. Plus, there's no guarantee we'd get the obvious dark or fighting type combo for that concept. The preferred rock or steel could still work (steel or rock-like leaves that function as daggers).

I do not really think any of these exactly. I think his frame will be larger, bulkier, with a large coat of quills/spikes that resemble long sharp leaves and/or thorns.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner

The knight has more basis according to what was posted in the last page about his name origin.
I actually prefer that idea over the other 3. I don't think it will determine that much the typing, after all GF tends to surprise us in that matter.
Still If it's a knight, I can see it becoming a Grass/Steel (Due the Armor) or Grass/Fighting or even Grass/Dark if He's a black knight :O
Although I agree that Grass/Rock is a better typing. Well, who knows. I can't wait for silhouettes. ;_;

Anyway I'll repeat myself to boredom: As long as Froakie is Water/Fighting, I'm fine with how Chespin's last stage dual type is. :p

Lost Lore

Diving Deep

Either 1 or 3 would be my favourite option, leaning a slight bit more towards 1 but come on, leaf assassin sounds really cool.

I'd be game for 2, but this gives me the mental image of him using a bow and leaf arrows, haha.

I'm not big on 4, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

BV101

Its kinda weird. Froakie is beating Chespin in the polls but I've been hearing more talk of Chespin's typing and design than Froakie's. i like all of the starters this time around. I will go with Froakie personally but I'm scared for his design. Most of the first fanarts for Froakie have made incredibly fat and bulky looking. As long as he keeps a sleek and skinny design, I will be happy and I'm not to worried about his typing since Water works well with most types.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
Its kinda weird. Froakie is beating Chespin in the polls but I've been hearing more talk of Chespin's typing and design than Froakie's. i like all of the starters this time around. I will go with Froakie personally but I'm scared for his design. Most of the first fanarts for Froakie have made incredibly fat and bulky looking. As long as he keeps a sleek and skinny design, I will be happy and I'm not to worried about his typing since Water works well with most types.
He looks like Benjamin Franklin to me. I expect an electric type to go with his experiments with electricity. However, he could also be a wizard, a king, a scribe...the list goes on. The name origin simply has to do with water and the sound of a frog's croak...so nothing there like with chespin. That's the only reason why he's being talked about less. There's less to speculate on with so little to go off of.

ninjanerd

He looks like Benjamin Franklin to me. I expect an electric type to go with his experiments with electricity. However, he could also be a wizard, a king, a scribe...the list goes on. The name origin simply has to do with water and the sound of a frog's croak...so nothing there like with chespin. That's the only reason why he's being talked about less. There's less to speculate on with so little to go off of.
The only question is, what does a frog evolve into? As long as they keep it separate from Palpitoad I'm fine. I do think the bubbles on its nose are bifocals, but I can't imagine Froakie with a wig. And Ben Franklin was hardly sleek and skinny.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
The only question is, what does a frog evolve into? As long as they keep it separate from Palpitoad I'm fine. I do think the bubbles on its nose are bifocals, but I can't imagine Froakie with a wig. And Ben Franklin was hardly sleek and skinny.
Too true, however, his signature bifocals and the hair are already there. They can do something if it really is Ben Franklin, however, I just said that he looks like him, and would expect an electric typing. I should have added an 'if so' in there, but I didn't.

BV101

I had actually theorized that since Froakie looks alot like Croagunk, as compared to Tympole and Poliwag, he won't be able to evolve the same way they did and will evolve into something similar to Toxicroak. I'm really hoping I'm right but I won't get my hopes up.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3

I actually like all of these ideas. I'm fine with whichever GF decides to do, although idea 1 and 2 sounds cool. I admit, I'm a sucker for knights, not quite sure why. I never really looked at Chespin much because his first form didn't impress me, but if GF plays their cards right, they can make his final evolution be quite a beast. It would be really cool to see a Robin Hood like evolution for Chespin. That would make me automatically switch from Fennekin to Chespin (I might have to anyway since all my friends want Fennekin and I need all the starters to complete the pokedex -___-).

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
I actually like all of these ideas. I'm fine with whichever GF decides to do, although idea 1 and 2 sounds cool. I admit, I'm a sucker for knights, not quite sure why. I never really looked at Chespin much because his first form didn't impress me, but if GF plays their cards right, they can make his final evolution be quite a beast. It would be really cool to see a Robin Hood like evolution for Chespin. That would make me automatically switch from Fennekin to Chespin (I might have to anyway since all my friends want Fennekin and I need all the starters to complete the pokedex -___-).

WoOo0oOo0oO!!! I've converted a Fennekin lover to a Chespin fan!! Now the tables have turned...*looks at the poll*...well, not by much, but I'm taking the victory anyway!! :D

pacack825

A meowing duck.
WoOo0oOo0oO!!! I've converted a Fennekin to Chespin!! Now the tables have turned...*looks at the poll*...well, not by much, but I'm taking the victory anyway!! :D
If we get a chestnut knight, chespin is mine. Not yours :p

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
If we get a chestnut knight, chespin is mine. Not yours :p

The feeling is mutual if he's a thief/assassin. ;)

And if his shiny is blue and he has amazing speed, I think we can share him with all the other Sonic lovers.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
The feeling is mutual if he's a thief/assassin. ;)

And if his shiny is blue and he has amazing speed, I think we can share him with all the other Sonic lovers.
Note: he does have spin in his name and he could be based off of a hedgehog and we don't know what his shiny form is.

._.

german suplex

hipster chespin

I'm leaning more into no 2. I really like the idea of Chespin Hood shooting pines to his opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.