• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
It seems with the expection of Gen 5 and Maybe Gen 4..Fire Types are the most popular starter..Gen 6 will be no different
Unless fennekin becomes a fire/fighting duck, I'd say you're right.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
It seems with the expection of Gen 5 and Maybe Gen 4..Fire Types are the most popular starter..Gen 6 will be no different

Gen 1 - Yeah, Charizard... blah blah blahs
Gen 2 - Typhlosion is indeed the most popular, but Feraligatr has a huge fanbase as well.
Gen 3 - Sceptile is as popular as Blaziken. Swampert was the popular one before Speed Boost Blaziken in the competitive scene.
Gen 4 - Infernape is by far more popular than Empoleon and especially Torterra.
Gen 5 - You're right, almost no one likes Emboar (I love it)... but then again, almost no one likes any of the Generation V starters.
Gen 6 - Freaking Fennekin everywhere. That sums it.

So yeah, most of the time the fiery starters are the most popular.

adamfitz

poké-lover
My favorite starters:
Gen1: squirtle -turtles one of my favorite animals.
Gen2: chickorita -my all time favorite
Gen3: mudkip -didnt like those starters too much.
Gen4: piplup -loved piplup in the anime and game was attached to it.
Gen5: oshawot -iv no idea why people didn't like him, I think he's great!

Gen6:froakie loving him so far

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
My favorite starters:
Gen1: squirtle -turtles one of my favorite animals.
Gen2: chickorita -my all time favorite
Gen3: mudkip -didnt like those starters too much.
Gen4: piplup -loved piplup in the anime and game was attached to it.
Gen5: oshawot -iv no idea why people didn't like him, I think he's great!

Gen6:froakie loving him so far

Gen 1: Bulbasaur, not sure why I choose it, since it looked awful in its sprite in Pokémon Blue, but anyway, I loved and still love Venusaur.
Gen 2: Meganium, for the lack of a better starter.
Gen 3: Swampert hands down, it looks awesome and way better than the weird chicken and the bald lizard.
Gen 4: All of them are good. Gameplay-wise my favorite is Infernape, but design-wise I gotta go with Torterra. I appreciate huge/bulky Pokémon.
Gen 5: Emboar, it has the best design as far as Fire/Fighting starters go. Emboar + Head Smash ftw! Serperior plays lame and Samurott's sprites are awful.
Gen 6: I like both Froakie and Chespin, but I need to see their evos to decide who fits the best with me. Fennekin is weird, its huge head creeps me out. I hope its evolutios are better.

SSPt17

Rare Trainer
My guess is that Chespin becomes a Grass/electric pokemon, Does anyone recognize its STRONG resemblance to Pachirisu and Emolga? their faces are total copies of each other but with a different color scheme.
My prefered starter is Fennekin because of its charming features, it look simple yet the most attractive(eye-catching) of the three.
I would be happier if the final evolution of fennekin is just plain fire type, rather than just another fire/fighting
btw, I hope one of them becomes a flying type and develops wings, last time i saw a flying starter was CHARIZARD.

Solacen

Personally :
Gen 1 : I always chose either bulbasaur or squirtle. I only took charizard in one playthrough
Gen 2 : Always either cyndaquill or Totodile. I cant remember ever choosing chikorita
Gen 3 : Torchic and Mudkip. Never chose Treeko.
Gen 4 : I only played through DP once and i think i chose piplup.
Gen 5 : Only finished one playthrough of Black 2 so far and i chose Serperior (and rather like it).

I guess i like water starters.

john90

espin is half of the spanish name for a porcupine...
Actually italian Porcospino (Hedgehog), English Porcupine can be considered too.. But clearly Chespin is a hedgehog/Porcupine no doubt.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
Gen 1: Charmander, Charmander, hands down Charmander. I just loved the little guy. Still do. Although I later raised Bulbasaur and Squirtle and have to admit they are ALL awesome in their own right.
Gen 2: Chikorita - I was a sucker for its cute, plump design and sweet little necklace. Cyndaquil was close behind as my second choice, but I was never much fond of Totodile.
Gen 3: I lieked Mudkips. What can I say. Torchic was my second fave (cutie!) but I initially didn't like what it evolved into so didn't raise it until long after Treeko - which ironically I liked least of the three.
Gen 4: Adored Piplup so chose Piplup. Also enjoyed cute little Turtwig, but was never keen on Chinmchar or its ridiculously overused evolved forms.
Gen 5: My first choice was Oshawott, but due to team planning I actually picked Snivy first (my second choice overall). Wasn't thrilled with Tepig but admittedly still like it better than Chimchar.
Gen 6: Without yet seeing their evolved forms (so my opinion may yet change, who knows) my current opinion is Fennekin first choice, Chespin second choice, and Froakie (who I don't hate but think is "just okay") I will raise at some point in the future.

So I've essentially gone fire, grass, water, water, would've-been-water-but-ended-up-with-grass, fire. I've picked each type twice ^__^

confuser987

My guess is that Chespin becomes a Grass/electric pokemon, Does anyone recognize its STRONG resemblance to Pachirisu and Emolga? their faces are total copies of each other but with a different color scheme.
My prefered starter is Fennekin because of its charming features, it look simple yet the most attractive(eye-catching) of the three.
I would be happier if the final evolution of fennekin is just plain fire type, rather than just another fire/fighting
btw, I hope one of them becomes a flying type and develops wings, last time i saw a flying starter was CHARIZARD.

Maybe Chespin is the Pikachu of this gen.

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
Gen I: Charmander because he became the mighty charizard and 'fire' is a cool type.
Gen II: Totodile, for me he was a sort of 'water' charmander and feraligatr had a cool look + the name kicks ***!
Gen III: No treecko (grass charmander) for me, I blindly choosed torchic because he had a X-factor. I was shocked he turned out to be a fiery murder chicken machine :D
Gen IV: Turtwig...why? Look at torterra, that's why ;).
Gen V: My least favorite starters but Samurott has a mighty appearance so I choosed the clown otter.

Gen VI: For now it's Chespin because he looks like a trusty good fighter with needles on its head :). But all can change when the evolutions come.

So = fire, water, fire, grass, water, and now grass again? that's all types x2

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Eh.

Gen I: :p Uh, Squirtle?
Gen II: Chikorita <3 It's so cwute!
Gen III: Torchic Is just too cute to be left alone! Plus I don't really like the other two.
Gen IV: Piplup. Why? Because it's Piplup.
Gen V: Snivy, because Oshawott ain't cutting it, and Tepig the joke is way out of Snivy's League.

Gen VI: I don't know! I think Fennekin... Unless it's Fighting, then hello Chespin! No offence Froakkie.

Huh, funny. Two of every type :p

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Gen 5 - You're right, almost no one likes Emboar (I love it)... but then again, almost no one likes any of the Generation V starters.

*raises hand tentatively* Why must all of my favorites get less love? :(

Yeah true, out of them Snivy's line probably gets the most love even though Serperior isn't too popular.

...You know, a side of me is curious what would happen to the starters if they pulled a Gen 5 again with the designs, would the popularity shift again between them like before or would it remain the same?

Last edited:

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
I'm leaning more into no 2. I really like the idea of Chespin Hood shooting pines to his opponents.

Ditto. I can see him having a "bow and arrow" themed signature move. Or atleast a grass-type move with similar effects to Theif....

Idk. Though I can see where you're coming from, I've never once thought of Chespin being the Grass Starter AND "Pikachu" of this Generation.....but, since this is a speculation forum, let's speculate!!!

1.) That typing would ROCK!! He'd lose his weaknesses to flying AND ground (two types very dangerous to Grass and Electric, receptively) He'd resist steel, water, grass, and even electric TWICE. He'd only be weak to poison, bug, fire, and ice., which are common attack types competitively. Not good for meta-game players but hey, he wouldn't die by one Earthquake...

2.) His design would be what every PikaClone fan has been waiting on. He starts out cute as Chespin, get's cuter but slightly intimating in his 2nd form, and then looks epic with a dash of cute in his final form.

3.) His movepool would be amazing!! He'd get the best of Grass AND Electric. Plus, there's the possibility of a signature move!!

....wow, even though I don't think he is the PikaClone of this generation, I'm kinda hoping he could be now. :p

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Ditto. I can see him having a "bow and arrow" themed signature move. Or atleast a grass-type move with similar effects to Theif....

That would be pretty awesome.

My speculation for Signature Moves:

Chespin: Pin Drill (Grass Ground, has a chance of lowering foes defence), Zap Needle (Grass Electric, chance of paralyzing), Pin Point (Grass Dark, chance of stealing hold item)

Fennekin: Drought Flame (Fire Ground, deals extra damage if on sandy terrain or if the weather is sandstorm), Mind Flare (Fire Psychic, chance of confusing the target)

Froakie: Charge Wave (Water Electric, chance of paralyzing), Aroma Torrent (Water Psychic, chance of lowering the target's Special stats), Hydro Punch (Water Fighting, chance of confusing the target)

So, uh, yeah :p

spiller

what about zap leaf, the user creates a leaf shap useing electricity and grass and has a chance of paralyzing or poisoing maybe

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
what about zap leaf, the user creates a leaf shap useing electricity and grass and has a chance of paralyzing or poisoing maybe

I pretty much already did that one, the description doesn't matter, especcially as Chespin has no leaves, and it's species isn't based off of anything with leaves either (unless it's based off of the tree instead of the Chestnut)

Zap Needle (Grass Electric, chance of paralyzing)

Status
Not open for further replies.