• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightJewel

So not a Beginner
Ok, I'm sick of all this speculation on Fennekin's type based just off of the attack it used in the trailer. Same goes for each of the starters. Hasn't anyone heard of Copycat? Metronome? Me First? Assist? All of those are moves that let the pokemon use moves that it can or can't normally use, moves that another pokemon can use. (except Metronome, that one's just a random move)

Plus, the animations we know might have changed AND there are plenty of pokemon who use moves that aren't their types. However, I am aware that they would likely use representative moves in the trailers.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Ok, I'm sick of all this speculation on Fennekin's type based just off of the attack it used in the trailer. Same goes for each of the starters. Hasn't anyone heard of Copycat? Metronome? Me First? Assist? All of those are moves that let the pokemon use moves that it can or can't normally use, moves that another pokemon can use. (except Metronome, that one's just a random move)

Plus, the animations we know might have changed AND there are plenty of pokemon who use moves that aren't their types. However, I am aware that they would likely use representative moves in the trailers.

^ this is what you guys need to read before speculating types. That ought to stop the unneeded speculation. It was getting on my nerves.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
I bet you whatever you want that it's not none of these moves.

Sorry, but how is that related to my post? The only thing relevant you said to my post was about starter attacks and, while you claim to have said the same thing I did only ages prior, you are actually on a totally different page than me. I am on the side that thinks the moves DO NOT relate to their eventual typings as we don't know what the moves are. I do understand that it is entirely possible for Fennekin to be using a psychic type move, but half of you fail to realize that not all purple and wavy attacks are of the psychic type.
Also, your Zorua/Zoroark argument holds no ground because there is no such thing as psychic in the real world. Sure, birds can peck with their beak and amphibians can poison things but to relate psychic abilities to the matter is poor logic as psychic power only exists in the Pokemon world.

LOL. "the only relevant thing you said to my post was about starter attacks"-there you go buddy, that was what my post you quoted was all about. nah, don't get your panties in a twist, i know there's a possibility it's not a psychic move. i'm about 80% sure it is though because psychic moves are really distinct. can't think of any attacks of different types with animations similar to the purple waves.
ah, so if that argument holds no ground then the whole "well fennekin can be pure fire and learn psychic moves because ninetales can and it's a fox" argument holds no ground? pokemon has barely anything to do with the real world, which is why i didn't use the real world for reference (you shouldn't either). when i said birds i meant bird POKEMON learn peck and that fox POKEMON like zorua don't learn any damaging psychic moves.

again, chill man. don't get so heated about pokemon haha. it's all speculation, none of us can say "you're wrong!" with certainty at this point. all you can do is make your point and give evidence. not much more to it.

you have good points, just wanna nitpick a bit here (sorry!)

copycat, metronome, me first, and assist all have an animation first before they use the move being copied. IF it's a copy move it's probably mirror move or sketch+the move copied. and that's a pretty interesting theory. what if one of the starters used mirror move? it makes the most sense in fennekin's case since it's battling kirlia, a psychic type. mirror move is generally learned by bird/flying pokemon though.

Last edited:

Yveltal96

A little more human

this is called a speculation thread. and what generation hazard said is true

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

Yep and the trailer mentioned "not final product" meaning it may not learn whatever it's doing in the release after all.

adamfitz

poké-lover
I'm really wishing for some more info on these starters
I'm getting so tired of guessing types
And only going by design and a move they used in the trailer

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
why would they just take away the move though?
that makes no sense to me

There is no reason that they have to stick with that move. After all, we don't even know the name of the move used.
@Adamfritz: Yes, my throat is getting parched due to lack of info. We need more info, so that we can have a worthwhile speculation.

copycat, metronome, me first, and assist all have an animation first before they use the move being copied. IF it's a copy move it's probably mirror move or sketch+the move copied. and that's a pretty interesting theory. what if one of the starters used mirror move? it makes the most sense in fennekin's case since it's battling kirlia, a psychic type. mirror move is generally learned by bird/flying pokemon though.

All the more reason to assume that Fennekin will become a Flying type upon it's final evolution.

Yveltal96

A little more human
I'm really wishing for some more info on these starters
I'm getting so tired of guessing types
And only going by design and a move they used in the trailer

if we get their final evos types at least, there would at least be less disagreement idc if i'm wrong i just need something

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
no way he will be a flying type he has nothing to remotely indicate he will be flying

*cough* Charmander *cough*

Nooooo!!!!!!!! Fire/Ground would be a horrible type=Fennekin slow=Fire/Ground defensive type=Noooooooo!

Ever notice that the more popular starters get better types?

*cough* Mudkip and Turtwig *cough*

Swampert and Torterra are both quite good Pokémon and as I recall they were very popular when they were released, especially Mudkip.

That said, I still would rather Fennekin had a secondary type that didn't entail getting even more damage from Water.

Yveltal96

A little more human
*cough* Charmander *cough*

*cough* Mudkip and Turtwig *cough*

Swampert and Torterra are both quite good Pokémon and as I recall they were very popular when they were released, especially Mudkip.

That said, I still would rather Fennekin had a secondary type that didn't entail getting even more damage from Water.

yeah i do not know why everyone thinks he will be part ground it just make no sense to me
i'd rather he be fire/fighting before he become fire/ground

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
I prefer Fennekin not to be part fighting. Please no more fighting as a secondary typing for a starter we had enough of that give it another typing that it doesn't have yet.

Frisle

yeah i do not know why everyone thinks he will be part ground it just make no sense to me
i'd rather he be fire/fighting before he become fire/ground

Fennekin becoming Fire/Ground makes more sense than Fire/Fighting. Fennekin would become part ground because of the origin of it (Fennec Foxes in Northern Africa reside in self-made small caves, in the ground, which feeds ground-speculation). Fire/fighting makes less sense, as it's presumed to be fighting because the previous fire-starters also became fighting. Although I'm not a fan of Fennekin becoming part ground, I understand the reasons why people believe that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.