• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurath8

Chespin will become a Pyshical Tank, so Grass/Steel would be nice... Yet Ferrothorn says Hi! But a Physical Grass/Dark sweeper is highly wanted... But Shiftry... I like the 2nd more.

Just because these type combos have been done before doesn't mean they can't be done again. Swampert was Water/Ground despite Quagsire existing. It is notable that, besides Fire/Fighting being repeated twice(exclusively to starters) and Swampert that it hasn't happened before. Still, I'd like to see a Grass/Steel type as its marginally better defensively than Grass/Dark which has iirc 6 weaknesses.

adl222

People keep saying Grass/Steel for Chespin but how do you see that happening.
id like to know..

Aurath8

id like to know..

It's a hedgehog. They use their spines for defence. Chespin's spines harden into Steel armour giving it large defence and attack. Boom, Grass/Steel type. imo, either this or pure Grass seems most likely. Grass/Dark speculation is just people trying to impose the Dark/Fighting/Psychic triangle on everything.

rocky505

id like to know..
You mean Grass/Dark. There is literally nothing hinting at that but people mostly say it should be that typing. Chestnut's can be very hard which gives a nod to steel types.

adl222

It's a hedgehog. They use their spines for defence. Chespin's spines harden into Steel armour giving it large defence and attack. Boom, Grass/Steel type. imo, either this or pure Grass seems most likely. Grass/Dark speculation is just people trying to impose the Dark/Fighting/Psychic triangle on everything.
if its head leaves/spines become steel it wont have the growing plant motif that all grass starters have.

You mean Grass/Dark. There is literally nothing hinting at that but people mostly say it should be that typing. Chestnut's can be very hard which gives a nod to steel types.
no i meant grass/steel many people have said that and i dint understand where it was coming from. im one of those people that thinks it will become a grass/dark because it use a dark type move that looks like night slash in the video.

Drohn

My god, it's Pokemon. Why does a realistic side even exist? I mean, Blastoise is a Shellfish, Psyduck is a platypus, and we have 10 year olds beating up each other's pets with magic abilities. I think that a Fennec Fox crossed with an Arctic Fox to make an evo is fine in my book. But with a Fire/Ice type, that's a x4 weakness on Chespin's part, if he stays pure Grass.

Both types will only do x2 damage so it doesn't make a difference really :p Fire/Ice would be a cool type, although I doubt it happening looking at the design of the first type. It can, however, (and has in the past) have a surprising evolution. I would like the Ground/Fire as well. The thing I dislike about Fire/Ice is that it adds more weaknesses than super effective offense coverage.

Dinosti

I'm here, yeah...
If Froakie does have a moustache then it better have gender differences like the female without a moustache or just a really small one.

BroaddySN

We are Siamese
I just really think the trailer already practically revealed the secondary types of the starters.

I mean why else would they have Fennekin use a fire attack and then a psychic attack, or Chespin a grass attack and then a dark attack (come on there is really no other type that would have that black/red background with a purple attack), or Froakie using a water attack and then use a Fighting (or Flying, this is the only ambiguous one).

So even though they haven't been officially announced, Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting (or Water/Flying!) are clearly being foreshadowed.

adl222

I just really think the trailer already practically revealed the secondary types of the starters.

I mean why else would they have Fennekin use a fire attack and then a psychic attack, or Chespin a grass attack and then a dark attack (come on there is really no other type that would have that black/red background with a purple attack), or Froakie using a water attack and then use a Fighting (or Flying, this is the only ambiguous one).

So even though they haven't been officially announced, Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting (or Water/Flying!) are clearly being foreshadowed.

thank you! i agree. all 3 starters used 2 attacks one of their respective type and a secondary type it could not have been anymore obvious. i think froakie was using close combat.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
These are the types that I wouldn't matter to see, personnally.

Fennekin.
Fire - This is the base. At least a pure Fire type won't bother me, but it's still not my favorite, though.
Fire / Psychic - Definitely my favorite of all. That looks great, indeed.
Fire / Flying - If it's not with giant wings, it would be okay. Being like Tropius (or Shaymin's Sky Form), an on earth Pokémon, but still Flying type, would be awesome!
Fire / Ice - Looks impossible, but it's just beautiful.

Froakie.
Water - Well, I don't want another prue Water Type, but it's a base. We have to count it.
Water / Fighting - My favorite, it's an awesome combination, and an unexpecting evolution, too!
Water / Ice - Not bad, but Water Types naturally can learn Ice Type move. Having a STAB on it, why not ?

Chespin.
Grass - As the others, it's a base. But since we've got a pure one in the past generation, it would be my least favorite combination.
Grass / Steel - This is my favorite one. Of course, I hope Chespin's evolution could be fast. That's really interesting.
Grass / Dark - My second favorite. I would totally like it. Since it's a great match with Chespin, it would be awesome!

Last edited:

BugPokemonMaster316

I don't think the trailer foreshadowed the secondary types of the starters, if they even wind up having secondary types. For Fennekin, the second attack COULD be a Psychic type move but I'm still not convinced that it is. I think it may be a stat reducing move such as growl.
For Chespin, just because it used a move that appeared similar to a dark type attack does not mean it will be grass/dark. Many Pokémon can learn moves that are of the dark type, such as Scizor with Night Slash, but the Pokémon itself is not a dark type.
Finally for Froakie. In the trailer Froakie appears to be using a move that hits several times. I believe this move to be fury swipes and not a flying or fighting type move.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
I don't think the trailer foreshadowed the secondary types of the starters, if they even wind up having secondary types. For Fennekin, the second attack COULD be a Psychic type move but I'm still not convinced that it is. I think it may be a stat reducing move such as growl.
For Chespin, just because it used a move that appeared similar to a dark type attack does not mean it will be grass/dark. Many Pokémon can learn moves that are of the dark type, such as Scizor with Night Slash, but the Pokémon itself is not a dark type.
Finally for Froakie. In the trailer Froakie appears to be using a move that hits several times. I believe this move to be fury swipes and not a flying or fighting type move.
Last time I checked, Froakie doesn't have claws. Chespin could be Grass/Dark, and which I hope. I would be VERY happy to see Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting.

Drohn

thank you! i agree. all 3 starters used 2 attacks one of their respective type and a secondary type it could not have been anymore obvious. i think froakie was using close combat.

Chespin used a Flying type attack (Aerial Ace), just look at the animation of Aerial Ace in Gen 5 and the trailer. It is the same. That pretty much kills your theory.

adl222

Chespin used a Flying type attack (Aerial Ace), just look at the animation of Aerial Ace in Gen 5 and the trailer. It is the same. That pretty much kills your theory.
what are you talking about, in the trailer it clearly shows that the attack Chespin used was black and dark purple. Theory continuous.

BugPokemonMaster316

Last time I checked, Froakie doesn't have claws. Chespin could be Grass/Dark, and which I hope. I would be VERY happy to see Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting.
Several Pokémon that learn Fury Swipes don't have claws, such as Spinarak, Ariados, and Aipom. Therefore it is possible that the move Froakie used was Fury Swipes.

BroaddySN

We are Siamese
The Kirlia Fennekin attacks is shown to be taking damage, a status affecting move wouldn't have Krilia make that motion if it was just getting growled at.

golduck#1

These are the types that I wouldn't matter to see, personnally.

Fennekin.
Fire - This is the base. At least a pure Fire type won't bother me, but it's still not my favorite, though.
Fire / Psychic - Definitely my favorite of all. That looks great, indeed.
Fire / Flying - If it's not with giant wings, it would be okay. Being like Tropius (or Shaymin's Sky Form), an on earth Pokémon, but still Flying type, would be awesome!
Fire / Ice - Looks impossible, but it's just beautiful.

Froakie.
Water - Well, I don't want another prue Water Type, but it's a base. We have to count it.
Water / Fighting - My favorite, it's an awesome combination, and an unexpecting evolution, too!
Water / Ice - Not bad, but Water Types naturally can learn Ice Type move. Having a STAB on it, why not ?

Chespin.
Grass - As the others, it's a base. But since we've got a pure one in the past generation, it would be my least favorite combination.
Grass / Steel - This is my favorite one. Of course, I hope Chespin's evolution could be fast. That's really interesting.
Grass / Dark - My second favorite. I would totally like it. Since it's a great match with Chespin, it would be awesome!

You'd have to throw a ground typing there to on Chespin hey? Squirrels hide there nuts in the ground and this kinda of looks like a squirrel thing and Ches for Chesnut? I could see it being ground among dark or fighting.

Now now, I think that a Ground/Grass type isn't a good idea. Ice would tear through it. I mean, Gible is destroyed by Ice, and so would Chespin. Especially if Fennekin becomes Ice like I want...

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Several Pokémon that learn Fury Swipes don't have claws, such as Spinarak, Ariados, and Aipom. Therefore it is possible that the move Froakie used was Fury Swipes.
Froakie's move looks like one move. Would each, very fast, hit count as one move? I watched the trailer again, it looks like it is using it's whole body. But it is so fast, it's hard to tell.

Last edited:

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
You'd have to throw a ground typing there to on Chespin hey? Squirrels hide there nuts in the ground and this kinda of looks like a squirrel thing and Ches for Chesnut? I could see it being ground among dark or fighting.

I thought Chespin was a hedgehog/he first known mammal on earth, not a squirrel. It's not that it'd block out grass/ground as a possibility, it would just block out the squirrel part.

Status
Not open for further replies.