• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

golduck#1

Now now, I think that a Ground/Grass type isn't a good idea. Ice would tear through it. I mean, Gible is destroyed by Ice, and so would Chespin. Especially if Fennekin becomes Ice like I want...

Just like Celebi the legendary pokemon is to bug. Or how like Swampert is to grass or even how like Charizard is to rock. Just because it has a x4weakness doesn't mean the pokemon is bad or weak and it certainly doesn't mean it won't happen.\
I thought Chespin was a hedgehog/he first known mammal on earth, not a squirrel. It's not that it'd block out grass/ground as a possibility, it would just block out the squirrel part.

I thought Chespin was a hedgehog/he first known mammal on earth, not a squirrel. It's not that it'd block out grass/ground as a possibility, it would just block out the squirrel part.

Either would warrant a ground typing easily.

Last edited:
I just don't like the thought of starters to have a x4 weakness, unless it's with each other.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
It's a hedgehog. They use their spines for defence. Chespin's spines harden into Steel armour giving it large defence and attack. Boom, Grass/Steel type. imo, either this or pure Grass seems most likely. Grass/Dark speculation is just people trying to impose the Dark/Fighting/Psychic triangle on everything.

Well, to be completely fair, there are still a lot of possibilities they can go with. So aside from the notion of going 'pure', these are what I've noted thusfar.

- Spines harden: Grass/Steel, or Grass/Rock.
- Spines not only harden, but also secrete poison when struck: Grass/Poison
- Chestnuts are hidden in the ground, and hedgehog burrow: Grass/Ground
- Move used in trailer looks like Night Slash/Aerial Ace: Grass/Dark, or Grass/Flying?

Boom.. That's six different types based on stuff that we have seen, or can deduce with some form of reasoning.

Now, think back to GenIV: Piplup.. Who honestly guessed that those short and stubby wings would develop into blades made of blue metal? I honestly doubt anybody did..

Point being that this could go a lot of ways.

As for Fennekin, I've heard a couple as well:
- Fennec Foxes live in the desert: Fire/Ground
- Fennec Foxes mixed with Polar Foxes: Fire/Ice
- Fennec Foxes, mixed with Kyuubi-lore: Fire/Psychic
- Fennec Foxes, trolled by GameFreak: Fire/Fighting

And for Froakie:
- White hand 'gloves' turn into boxinggloves: Water/Fighting
- Frogs may be poisonous: Water/Poison
- Frogs can jump high: Water/Flying
- Frogs can be amphibious: Water/Ground
- Looks as if it has a cloud on its back, could evolve into thundercloud: Water/Electric

You mean Grass/Dark. There is literally nothing hinting at that but people mostly say it should be that typing. Chestnut's can be very hard which gives a nod to steel types.

Or Rock-types.. Just saying..

You'd have to throw a ground typing there to on Chespin hey? Squirrels hide there nuts in the ground and this kinda of looks like a squirrel thing and Ches for Chesnut? I could see it being ground among dark or fighting.

This is what I wanted to add to that post as well...

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Now now, I think that a Ground/Grass type isn't a good idea. Ice would tear through it. I mean, Gible is destroyed by Ice, and so would Chespin. Especially if Fennekin becomes Ice like I want...
I do agree. We had Torterra, which wasn't torn apart by Ice Moves. Well, we just had the THIRD Fire/Fighting.
Chespin shouldn't be Grass/Ground, but if Torterra didn't exist, it's a possibility.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Froakie's move looks like one move. Would each, very fast, hit count as one move? I watched the trailer again, it looks like it is using it's whole body. But it is so fast, it's hard to tell.

If you look at attack animations of certain multi-strike moves such as Fury Swipes, you can see the scratch animation appear twice per turn.

Fury_Swipes.png

rocky505

Froakie's move looks like one move. Would each, very fast, hit count as one move? I watched the trailer again, it looks like it is using it's whole body. But it is so fast, it's hard to tell.
It seems to be Acrobatics, I wouldn't claim that as a hint at Froakie's evolutions typing since Frogs can be quite acrobatic.

That's absurd to think that they won't reuse types for starters. I mean, seriously? -_-

golduck#1

I just don't like the thought of starters to have a x4 weakness, unless it's with each other.

You rarely see any ice type Pokemon in games anyways. You'll get three different ice type pokemon or so (evo's not included) so it really shouldn't matter. If it were Ground/Rock (impossible I know) then I would be worried but ice types shouldn't be your worry. If you are worrried about types you gain advantages to fire and electric and Posion which people should prefer than a rare four times weakness ingame!

Last edited:
I love Ice types, they're just so rare I don't have any. That's why I'm so concerned about Ice types.

What has been overused with Water? Nothing. Grass? If they make Chespin Ground, then I guess it'll be overused.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
That's absurd to think that they won't reuse types for starters. I mean, seriously? -_-

Especially considering all the fire/fightings and the three pure grass ones. :\

golduck#1

What has been overused with Water? Nothing. Grass? If they make Chespin Ground, then I guess it'll be overused.

Twice means it's overused? You have to be somewhat realistic considering most Pokemon are pretty much animals, so you have to take into an account it's a hedgehog or something around those lines. Considering it's characteristics you can't just give it a ridiculous typing like Grass/Electric (even though Pikachu is a mouse you can see signs that give it characteristics of being electric). So ground seems like a typing that would make sense. They can do so much with Chespin and make him nothing like Torterra but still give him the ground typing so it's not like it would be the same.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
You rarely see any ice type Pokemon in games anyways. You'll get three different ice type pokemon or so (evo's not included) so it really shouldn't matter. If it were Ground/Rock (impossible I know) then I would be worried but ice types shouldn't be your worry. If you are worrried about types you gain advantages to fire and electric and Posion which people should prefer than a rare four times weakness ingame!

Who cares about ingame? If it's got a 4x weakness, it better be special to be viable competitively..

Water pure.. 3 times.. Blastoise, Feraligatr, Samurott. As well as Water/Ground in regular cases: Quagsire, Swampert, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Seismitoad... And then there's the Water/Rock-fossils, but I guess they don't really count.

Drohn

what are you talking about, in the trailer it clearly shows that the attack Chespin used was black and dark purple. Theory continuous.

Yes and if you look at the animation of Aerial Ace in Black/White and Black2/White2 and Gen 4 games you will see that is the animation for that moves. Before actually replying to my statement you should have looked into what I said before claiming it is false.

Chespin used Aerial Ace. Period. And this does not mean that he is part Flying type, we don't know that yet.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Yes and if you look at the animation of Aerial Ace in Black/White and Black2/White2 and Gen 4 games you will see that is the animation for that moves. Before actually replying to my statement you should have looked into what I said before claiming it is false.

Chespin used Aerial Ace. Period. And this does not mean that he is part Flying type, we don't know that yet.
I'm not to sure about that. In the trailer, the move seems to hit more then once. Night Slash in Gen 4 and 5 hits more then once. Theory stays going.

rocky505

I'm not to sure about that. In the trailer, the move seems to hit more then once. Night Slash in Gen 4 and 5 hits more then once. Theory stays going.

Aerial Ace hits more than once too you know -_-

golduck#1

Who cares about ingame? If it's got a 4x weakness, it better be special to be viable competitively..

Water pure.. 3 times.. Blastoise, Feraligatr, Samurott. As well as Water/Ground in regular cases: Quagsire, Swampert, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Seismitoad... And then there's the Water/Rock-fossils, but I guess they don't really count.

Because a lot of people don't have wi-fi. Easily the more than people who do. That's who cares about ingame and even if we are talking competively it wouldn't even matter what type he is?

Status
Not open for further replies.