• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningWhiteKyurem

It's so obvious that Chespin uses Aerial Ace but people don't want to accept it because it might interfere with their fantasy of it using Shadow Claw/Night Slash and becoming a Grass/Dark cool assasin.Grow up!

The one that came with all those rumors said something really interesting about Chespin becoming Grass/Flying and being based on...I can't remember what.A plant that looked like insect wings.Come to think of it,Chespin does look somewhat aerodynamic.

And yeah I looked at the trailer again and Chespin is using Aerial Ace (said Pokemon because I had forgotten who used it). I don't know why some people continue to debate that its not using AA.

Judging by the moves its been shown, I think it's more that Chespin looks fast rather than aerodynamic. If its theme is actually based on a porcupine then I doubt it will have flying type. Then again, GameFreak is the creator of Pokelogic lol, and it'd be cool to have a flyer the moment you evolve your starter rather than going off and catching the regional birds.

rocky505

If Aerial Ace is a sign that Chespin will be fast then GF really gave a nod to Sonic with this.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Keep in mind though that just because it can learn Aerial Ace does not necessarily mean it will be fast. Tyranitar can learn Aerial ace and she is as slow as a rock(no pun intended)

BroaddySN

We are Siamese
Oh man, you guys are right. That is Aerial Ace! I keep watching it again and again and I don't know why I thought it was anything else. I just assumed it was a Dark-type move because of the colors in the background and the color of the attack, and that it was against a Ghost-type Pokémon.

That is definitely Aerial Ace. I'm gonna say that Chespin will likely evolve to be Grass/Flying now. My bad.

But I still stand by my statement of the trailer foreshadowing and the claims of Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting for Fennekin and Froakie, respectively.

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
Keep in mind though that just because it can learn Aerial Ace does not necessarily mean it will be fast. Tyranitar can learn Aerial ace and she is as slow as a rock(no pun intended)

T-tar is actually an OK speed...but I agree...pokes like sandslash, parasect, escavalier, slowbro, aggron, metagross, registeel, regigigas, and ferrothorn an all of them are VERY slow...even moreso than t-tar...aerial ace just seems like a general move that most pokes can learn...

Mr. Cuddles

i like trains
That chespin learns aerial ace doesn't mean it will become grass/flying... like XXD17 said, a lot pokes can learn it.
sandslash, parasect, escavalier, slowbro, aggron, metagross, registeel, regigigas, and ferrothorn

BroaddySN

We are Siamese
That chespin learns aerial ace doesn't mean it will become grass/flying... like XXD17 said, a lot pokes can learn it.

While this is true, I think people are ignoring the context the move was showcased in. Despite the typing of the three starters being obvious, the trailer came out prior to the official announcement of the starts' types. So in the trailer, each starter is using a move that represented their type: Chespin's SolarBeam, Fennekin's Flamethrower, and Froakie's Water Gun.

Now, right after each starters' initial STAB moves were shown, they were each shown using attacks of other types. There isn't much sense in these secondary moves being randomly selected, so it's gotta be moves to showcase their second typing. Chespin used Aerial Ace, so it's gotta evolve to be part Flying-type. Fennekin uses a Psychic-type move, whether it's Confusion or Psychic itself, the Kirlia clearly and visibly is taking damage so it's not just a status move. Then Froakie is using a Fighting-type move; it could be Fighting or Flying, but since Chespin will likely be part Flying the odds of Froakie having the same secondary type are slim to none.

Yes, just because a Pokémon can use a move doesn't mean that that move's type is always going to match the type of the Pokémon using it, as the above examples have shown. But, the context in which these moves are all presentedis a heavy indication toward each starters' secondary types.

I'm gonna laugh so hard when you're wrong. I mean, dude, it's just displaying it's movesets. I know that GF is all about hidden stuff, but you might be looking in the wrong place. Other place? No idea. But it's wrong.

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
There has only been one generation where all types remained single type.

I know, doesn't stop me from preferring that.

Or, if they do need to give them secondary types, I wish they'd at least make them something that doesn't break the balance and hasn't been done before three times out of five.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Hmm as much as i dont like the new batch of rumors cause it looks like a bunch of baloney, I dont think I want to see unique ole Chespy be Grass/flying. He can be fast yes and have aerial Ace in his moveset that would be awesome but no just no not a double weakness to ice please .

I hope we get the evos next month or even April or May for that matter

BroaddySN

We are Siamese
I'm gonna laugh so hard when you're wrong. I mean, dude, it's just displaying it's movesets. I know that GF is all about hidden stuff, but you might be looking in the wrong place. Other place? No idea. But it's wrong.

I'm just giving my speculation. I'm not saying this is how it's going to be just how I am seeing what's been presented to us so far. I'm aware that I could be wrong calm down.

It just seems odd of GF to just be picking moves at random to showcase. Again, in this context it's pretty hard for the secondary moves used not to mean something.

Hmm as much as i dont like the new batch of rumors cause it looks like a bunch of baloney, I dont think I want to see unique ole Chespy be Grass/flying. He can be fast yes and have aerial Ace in his moveset that would be awesome but no just no not a double weakness to ice please .

I hope we get the evos next month or even April or May for that matter

I don't give any credibility to those rumors. And websites posting these rumors are even misunderstanding them at times when saying that the names Jean and Jane are non-customizable when the poster clarified the outfits are non-customizable. Among a ton of other things these rumors aren't even good. They're a load of crap and we're going to get real news around the middle of each month so there's no real need for false rumors with a consistent news feed like the one we're getting.

I don't really think most are worth discussing because when the 90% of them end up being false everyone gets butt hurt and compares the actual news with the rumors which is even more stupid than the rumors existing in the first place.

Last edited:

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
I don't give any credibility to those rumors. And websites posting these rumors are even misunderstanding them at times when saying that the names Jean and Jane are non-customizable when the poster clarified the outfits are non-customizable. Among a ton of other things these rumors aren't even good. They're a load of crap and we're going to get real news around the middle of each month so there's no real need for false rumors with a consistent news feed like the one we're getting.

I don't really think most are worth discussing because when the 90% of them end up being false everyone gets butt hurt and compares the actual news with the rumors which is even more stupid than the rumors existing in the first place.

Yeah thats why i refuse to believe Chespin is Grass/Flying. There is no way they would let that happen. I will only wait till we get the true info. And all that rumors about the Bond system: I dont belive in that also. All we must do is just wait patiently for the true info

Besides we got two weeks till March 12-15 anyway so be patient everyone

Yveltal96

A little more human
While this is true, I think people are ignoring the context the move was showcased in. Despite the typing of the three starters being obvious, the trailer came out prior to the official announcement of the starts' types. So in the trailer, each starter is using a move that represented their type: Chespin's SolarBeam, Fennekin's Flamethrower, and Froakie's Water Gun.

Now, right after each starters' initial STAB moves were shown, they were each shown using attacks of other types. There isn't much sense in these secondary moves being randomly selected, so it's gotta be moves to showcase their second typing. Chespin used Aerial Ace, so it's gotta evolve to be part Flying-type. Fennekin uses a Psychic-type move, whether it's Confusion or Psychic itself, the Kirlia clearly and visibly is taking damage so it's not just a status move. Then Froakie is using a Fighting-type move; it could be Fighting or Flying, but since Chespin will likely be part Flying the odds of Froakie having the same secondary type are slim to none.

Yes, just because a Pokémon can use a move doesn't mean that that move's type is always going to match the type of the Pokémon using it, as the above examples have shown. But, the context in which these moves are all presentedis a heavy indication toward each starters' secondary types.

ok how would a hedgehog showing no signs of airborne relation whatsoever, turn into grass/flying
there are many pokemon that can learn aerial ace that aren't flying
if anything i think they are trying to hint towards his final evo which will most likely learn all of the slashing moves

johno1995

I hope Grass and Water don't remain pure again. While Fire/Psychic is likely based on its appearance, I'd prefer to see Fennekin's line stay pure Fire and the other two get unique type combinations if we end up with at least one pure line with this trio.

If we're lucky and get three dual-typed Pokemon, I'm hoping for Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and either Water/Flying or Water/Electric (Froakie's yellow eyes, its cloud-like back/tail thing and just wishful thinking lead me to hope for Water/Electric) at this point.

Yveltal96

A little more human
I hope Grass and Water don't remain pure again. While Fire/Psychic is likely based on its appearance, I'd prefer to see Fennekin's line stay pure Fire and the other two get unique type combinations if we end up with at least one pure line with this trio.

If we're lucky and get three dual-typed Pokemon, I'm hoping for Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and either Water/Flying or Water/Electric (Froakie's yellow eyes, its cloud-like back/tail thing and just wishful thinking lead me to hope for Water/Electric) at this point.

i do not see chespin being part fighting honestly
and how would froakie be water/flying or electric? that thing isn't a cloud that is foam frogs produce when they lay eggs
i personally am hoping the chespin is grass/dark and fennekin is fire/psychic and froakie is water/fighting

Grei

not the color
Now, right after each starters' initial STAB moves were shown, they were each shown using attacks of other types. There isn't much sense in these secondary moves being randomly selected, so it's gotta be* moves to showcase their second typing.

What are you smoking? There is total sense in these secondary moves being of random types--nearly every single Pokemon is capable of learning moves of types other than their own.

Really now. Read the following sentence and then tell me your logic isn't totally clouded: "Chespin used a Flying-type attack, so he's got to be* a Flying-type!"

Stardastarly

Sylveon~ :D
ok how would a hedgehog showing no signs of airborne relation whatsoever, turn into grass/flying
there are many pokemon that can learn aerial ace that aren't flying
if anything i think they are trying to hint towards his final evo which will most likely learn all of the slashing moves
Are you forgetting about Charmander? Did it look like it was obviously going to turn into a flying type? What about Torchic? Did it scream out 'I'M A FIGHTING CHICKEN' to you? No. Neither did Piplup being a Steel type. Just because a Pokémon might not look like a certain type before it evolves, it never means it strictly will not evolve to be that type. I defiantly have to agree with BroaddySN about this. They have a very good point, so I'm going to lay my hopes on Grass/Flying, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting for the starters. But then Water/Fighting does sound like Game Freak just wants to get away with there obsessiveness over fighting type starter Pokémon.

adl222

Are you forgetting about Charmander? Did it look like it was obviously going to turn into a flying type? What about Torchic? Did it scream out 'I'M A FIGHTING CHICKEN' to you? Just because a Pokémon might not look like a certain type before it evolves, it never means it strictly will not evolve to be that type.
looking at Chespin now the only way that it could be /flying would be some sort of flying squirrel. i dont see that happening.
but like you said who knows, some pokemon do surprised the **** out of you when they evolve.

Stardastarly

Sylveon~ :D
looking at Chespin now the only way that it could be /flying would be some sort of flying squirrel. i dont see that happening.
but like you said who knows, some pokemon do surprised the **** out of you when they evolve.
True, it doesn't look much like it could be a flying type unless it was actually a flying squirrel, but then like you said you can never be sure about how they look when they evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.