• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elnava

The Successor!
Why does Fenn get 3 terrible stats? :(

Navarch

I'm liking the idea of Chespin being Grass/Rock.

Final Prediction:
Chespin - Grass/Rock
Fennekin - Fire/Psychic
Froakie - Water/Electric

WNDR

I've made a couple of these points before but wanted to summarise my opinions, back up with some evidence/reasoning, add in a bit of speculation

Froakie:
I believe Froakie to be based upon, Dendrobates Azureus,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrobates_azureus
This animal is a branch of the poison dart frog family, it is a blue frog.
An interesting characteristic of poison dart frogs is how they care for their young, carrying them upon their backs in bubble which look like white clouds.
If this is the case I can see Froakie's white patches going to grey, then black as it evolves to more closely resemble Dendrobates Azureus.
This would suggest to me a Water/Poison typing.
Speedy mixed sweeper, with low defences.

Chespin:
It is of my believe that Chespin is based up one a hedgehog combined with a chesnut.
I however believe similar to how Torterra and Sceptile base stages are a turtle and gecko respectively evolving to much larger creatures, (Ankylosaurus and a cross between Dilophosaurusand a Tree Gecko). I believe Chespin's final stage will be based upon a Glyptodont,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyptodontidae
This would be in keeping with GF's tradition of final stages of grass starters being based upon extinct animals. Glyptodont also shares many design similarities with Chespin, in particular how they both wear caps.
If this is correct I theorise that Chespin will share characteristics with the subspecies Doedicurus,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doedicurus
With its tail being coming a spikey club or possibly a poisonous flower
Another feature of Chespin is its chesnut feature, like a chesnut will eventually shed its green outer layer, it is possible Chespin's design will do something similar leaving a rock hard brown shell.
This would suggest to me either a Grass/Poison typing or a Grass/Rock typing.
I imaging both defences very bulky, good physical attack, subpar speed and spa.

Fenniken:
Fenniken is obviously based upon a Fennec Fox, an animal local to the dessert, this suggests an infinity towards ground. What I do believe is possible is as many other pokemon designs change to represent different animals, Fenniken could change to incorporate more canine features. My primary view on this stems from GF's tradition for using animals of the Chinese zodiac for fire starts coupled with the similarities between a fire/ground fox and the zodiac symbol for The Dog. The Dog is a symbol governed by the ground element whilst also has a cycle in the element of fire. Coupled with Fennec foxes are popular pets very much like dogs.
This to me would suggest a Fire/Ground typing.
I imagine special orientated attacker, average speed and lower defences.

Went on a bit there, sorry just couldn't stop ^_^

Mudster

Master of the Legend
^^ some nice views there, and I see where you are going with the Chespin one, though I can see that one remaining bipedal. The secondary typings you gave Chespin and Froakie would also help to negate the disadvantages they have within the trio, though Fennekin kind of gets left out.

Yveltal96

A little more human
I think Froakie might be based on a pyrenead frog. They both have yellow-gold eyes, and are found in france.
[IMG200]http://cdn1.arkive.org/media/6D/6DFE5CB8-33D2-4E25-BE06-0FAA6A86CD96/Presentation.Small/Pyrenean-frog.jpg[/IMG200]

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I've made a couple of these points before but wanted to summarise my opinions, back up with some evidence/reasoning, add in a bit of speculation

Froakie:
An interesting characteristic of poison dart frogs is how they care for their young, carrying them upon their backs in bubble which look like white clouds.
If this is the case I can see Froakie's white patches going to grey, then black as it evolves to more closely resemble Dendrobates Azureus.

Chespin:
It is of my believe that Chespin is based up one a hedgehog combined with a chesnut.
I however believe similar to how Torterra and Sceptile base stages are a turtle and gecko respectively evolving to much larger creatures, (Ankylosaurus and a cross between Dilophosaurusand a Tree Gecko). I believe Chespin's final stage will be based upon a Glyptodont,
This would be in keeping with GF's tradition of final stages of grass starters being based upon extinct animals. Glyptodont also shares many design similarities with Chespin, in particular how they both wear caps.
If this is correct I theorise that Chespin will share characteristics with the subspecies Doedicurus,
Another feature of Chespin is its chesnut feature, like a chesnut will eventually shed its green outer layer, it is possible Chespin's design will do something similar leaving a rock hard brown shell.

Fenniken:
Fenniken is obviously based upon a Fennec Fox, an animal local to the dessert, this suggests an infinity towards ground. What I do believe is possible is as many other pokemon designs change to represent different animals, Fenniken could change to incorporate more canine features. My primary view on this stems from GF's tradition for using animals of the Chinese zodiac for fire starts coupled with the similarities between a fire/ground fox and the zodiac symbol for The Dog. The Dog is a symbol governed by the ground element whilst also has a cycle in the element of fire. Coupled with Fennec foxes are popular pets very much like dogs.

Froakie: possibly
Chespin: so much yes
Fennekin: now here's where I have a problem. I can see it becoming ground just to become a good counter to many fire fighting pokemon. However, id rather have it electirc or psychic.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Fennekin: now here's where I have a problem. I can see it becoming ground just to become a good counter to many fire fighting pokemon. However, id rather have it electirc or psychic.

agreed, Fire/psychic would also make a better counter i feel like for that

spikyearedpichu

Dawn of the XY Era
If Fenekkin doesn't became a fire/Psychic...Fire/ Dark or Fire/ Ground or Rock...It better be pure Fire (Better than Fire/ Fighting)....we haven't received one since Typhlosion

For Chespin and Froakie both better be dual type since the other starters are lacking, specially the water type...

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I'd prefer a Fennekin evo to be Fire/Ground. Only Water/Flying, Fire/Flying and Dragon/Flying resist the combo, excluding abilities. If it's fast enough, it would make a good Scizor counter (But the darned thing will stay in OU! Scizor in UU? No, just no!) and is only weak to two things. Could make a decent Late Game Sweeper, but only if Drizzle is taken out of the way!

So, my hopes for the evos:

Chespin-Grass/Electric
Fennekin-Fire/Ground
Froakie-Water/Flying

RoySceptile

Bakaner
I'd like Fennekin's last evolution to be Fire/Ghost; Fire/Dark, Psychic, or Electric would also be nice.
Then Froakie to go either Water/Ice or Water/Flying.
Really hoping Chespin ends at Grass/Dark or Grass/Rock.

WNDR

Fenniken was the only one I struggled with to really delve into, it looks good on the surface but not much mystery there, I am tempted by the japaneese and certainly GF tradition of having foxes be mystical/spiritual so I could easily see physic fit. What deters me from it is the type of fox, the fennec fox wouldn't be a typical fox for Japan and what they Associate as kitsun. Where as fennec foxes scream dessert/ground pokemon.
Hey I'd just be happy if it isn't fire/fighting

^^ some nice views there, and I see where you are going with the Chespin one, though I can see that one remaining bipedal. The secondary typings you gave Chespin and Froakie would also help to negate the disadvantages they have within the trio, though Fennekin kind of gets left out.

I didn't think of that before but it would work for fenniken in that it would resist the poison type attacks of froakie, in the same way that that froakie and chespin would resist, chespin and fenniken respectively.

Also whilst I'd prefer Chespin's to end up as a quadruped, it could easily end up bipedal similar to Rhyperior being a standing Ankylosaurs. Or mixed like Swampert! Pleases everybody!

storm12

Weather Bearer

Froakie:

Chespin:

Fenniken:

^^ This guy right here :D

Though a froggy Thor Water/Electric Froakie would be absolutely awesome!

And Fire/Ground for Fennekin makes so much sense it hurts! It's either Ground, Psychic or pure Fire- anything else would seem strange looking at Fennekin.

You've got Chespin spot on- you sure you don't work for Gamefreak ;]

WNDR

^^ This guy right here :D

Though a froggy Thor Water/Electric Froakie would be absolutely awesome!

And Fire/Ground for Fennekin makes so much sense it hurts! It's either Ground, Psychic or pure Fire- anything else would seem strange looking at Fennekin.

You've got Chespin spot on- you sure you don't work for Gamefreak ;]

Flattery will get you everywhere sir!

I read a lot of marvel comic books and there is a character called Throg he is a guy cursed to be a frog with a chip of Thor's hammer giving him all the power of Thor. I will have to call my Froakie, Throakie now.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I think the starters are all going to be just one type. but I hope that's not the case.

That would be horribly boring. They better all have a secondary Type, preferably one that no Starter has had before (or at least not in that combo)~

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
right I wish samurrot would have been water/fighting. but they trolled us! hopefully that's not what they're doing here.

Indeed. I mean, Samurott is a ninja, he really should have been fighting. XD And I would have loved Serperior to be part Dragon, but I'm not sure they'd ever make a Dragon Starter.

However, I have high hopes for the new Starters. I just hope none of them will be pure. ^^

storm12

Weather Bearer
Status
Not open for further replies.