• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
No. Froakie doesn't seem/sound "dark" enough, whil Chespin's description suggests that it's naughty.

After all Chespin has a curious personality that gets itself in trouble. I think the main reason why people want their secondary typings switched is because they want Chespin to not suffer a bad typing. Admit it everyone not every starter is going to be OU/UU material. Mind that also your going to catch other Pokémon to assist you in working with Chespin's assumed Grass/Dark evolution typing, it's not like your going to solo everyone with just the starter.

Last edited:

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
i still doubt chespin being dark but i guess we'll ind out October

Cutty

Forever now
Will they not inform us before the release?

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Possibly not, especially if it doesn't gain its second type until it reaches its final form.

then whats the problem if fairy type is the third gym its unlikely you've gotten you're 3rd state quite yet so chespin isn't weak to fairy quite yet at that point

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
After all Chespin has a curious personality that gets itself in trouble. I think the main reason why people want their secondary typings switched is because they want Chespin to not suffer a bad typing. Admit it everyone not every starter is going to be OU/UU material. Mind that also your going to catch other Pokémon to assist you in working with Chespin's assumed Grass/Dark evolution typing, it's not like your going to solo everyone with just the starter.

I solo. That's why I typically have a level 80 charizard/blastoise by Giovanni.

baconrules

Ostrich master
then whats the problem if fairy type is the third gym its unlikely you've gotten you're 3rd state quite yet so chespin isn't weak to fairy quite yet at that point

Maybe also a long time ago I only used empoleon in pearl and I beat Cynthia with it. It was level 91

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Heres my take on the Starters

First Fennekin Evo
I don't know why people keep assuming Fennekin is going to become a Kitsune and have the Psychic Type not all Foxes are Kitsunes and not all Kitsunes have Psychic power that being said I think Fennekin is going to have a Arabuc/Egyption theme and evolve into either a Jackal or a Djinn Fox or a Egyption/Arabic Fox theres already alot of people calling Fennekin a Vulpix copy if Fennekin Evolved into a Kitsune then in a sense it would be but at the same time I can see why GF might make Fennekin a Kitsunes as there is alot of people who like Kitsunes and love the idea of a Fox Starter me included I wouldn't mind it at all but im still doubtful of Fennekin becoming a Kitsune lol but watch me be wrong XD

Two Froakie Evo
I like the idea of Froakie becoming a Gentleman Boxer or any sort of fighter really he does look like a Fighting type but I could also see him being a rain frog or a wizard but the wizards a bit iffy lol I think Froakie will stay a Frog

Three Chespin Evo
I can see Chespin becoming very Knight like with armor and being Bulky and such BUT if he sheds his armor I could see him being a speedy fighter I think Chespin will stay a hedgehog

Ill get to what types I think they'll be in another post my DSi (which im posting from) has a char limit and double posting iv found is bad here ^^;

DylanAqua

Master of the Mews
I saw a fan art image of Froakie's final evolution as a giant sumo frog pokemon. I loved that idea!
Fennekin is too similar to Victini.

I'm excited at the prospect of Chespin being the first Dark hybrid starter

Leocat

I can agree with this and it is likely true. However, I can't say that is particular fair to make one of three starters suck in the upper levels of competition. To be fair they should all be good or all suck. Yes, I know.... Life is not fair. Which is why I agree with you and Chespin will likely end up Grass/Dark with six to seven weaknesses including a 4X weakness. Ouch. On the bright side. If we our lucky, Chespin might have the best looking final Evolution. May as well be a charmer if not a fighter.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Heres my take on the Types I think the Starters will be theres two sets I could see

Fennekin: Rock
It just kind of makes sense for a Desert Fox
Chespin: Fighting
If Chespin shed his armor I could see him being lean and fast
Froakie: Flying
Rain or storm Frog thing

That combo fits the appearences of the Starters well but has problems so heres the other

Fennekin: Flying
I know it doesn't make much sense but it could work because there are legends I think of mythical flying foxes so it might work for a Djinn Fox theme or even a Kitsune theme
Chespin: Rock
Chespin just kind of looks like a Grass/Rock pokemon its probably the brown and green but being a Chesnut Hedgehog seems to further this idea and the fact that it learns Rollout furthers this even more course the Rollout thing is likely a reference to Hedgehogs curling up and Sonic the Hedgehog (I bet Shiny Chespin will be blue lol Jk but maybe) but also the Rock typing would work well with a Knight theme
Froakie: Fighting
Froakie does look like a fighting type the only problem is that we already have a blue watet/fighting type frog Pokemon so is Froakie has good stats, good evolutions, and a good movepool I see the Poli line becoming dust in the wind hopefully they would make it so both water/fighting frogs are different and worth using

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Fennekin: Rock
It just kind of makes sense for a Desert Fox

Argh, I just CAN'T stand seeing those types of speculations ! It has, actually, no sense, and it's not because Fennekin is based on a desert fox that Fennekin's going to be Rock. Piplup hasn't end up being an Ice type because it is based on a penguin, exactly like didn't Torchic end up Flying type because it's based on a chicken. Don't speculate a type just because of the animal it is based on, it's just saying things without thinking. It is possible that Fennekin end up being part of Rock type but because "it's based on a desert fox" will be the last explanation to this gain.

Last edited:

SoulsOfSilver

Argh, I just CAN'T stand seeing those types of speculations ! It has, actually, no sense, and it's not because Fennekin is based on a desert fox that Fennekin's going to be Rock. Piplup hasn't end up being an Ice type because it is based on a penguin, exactly like didn't Torchic end up Flying type because it's based on a chicken. Don't speculate a type just because of the animal it is based on, it's just saying things without thinking. It is possible that Fennekin end up being part of Rock type but because "it's based on a desert fox" will be the last explanation to this gain.

Personally, I think that what type a Fennekin evo is would be deccided on what KIND of fox concept they base it on. If it's another kitsune, it's likely Fire/Ghost or Fire/Psychic. If it's a more anubis-type, bipedal Pokemon with the whole 'third eye' deal on its forehead, then it''ll probably be Fire/Psychic. If they take the desert association further, maybe it would be a saluki or kit fox and be Fire/Ground. Of course, those are only a few examples. Personally I think it'll just be a fire fox, no explanation. Just pure Fire.

i like the fact in my opinion the starters have a first and 2nd gen feel to them. I hope chespin becomes a physical bipedal grass/steel sweeper. Fennekin fire/psychic and froakie water/ground even though we have seimetoad. really hope these starters have awsome evolutions with brilliant movesets. When i first saw these starters i felt they deffo looked like proper pokemon unlike previous starters.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Heres my take on the Starters

First Fennekin Evo
I don't know why people keep assuming Fennekin is going to become a Kitsune and have the Psychic Type not all Foxes are Kitsunes and not all Kitsunes have Psychic power

yes, but fennekin is clearly using a (damaging) psychic move in the original trailer

jrs

Dragon Master
What if fenniken became steel type, I mean fire/steel types are awesome

Shraeder

It's Lit
Chespin- Grass/Dark
Pokedex entry states it gets in trouble often.

Fennekin- Fire/Psychic
Clearly using a Psychic-type move that deals damage, could in fact be the move Psychic.

Froakie- Water/Fighting
Light and nimble, swift fighter. Could possibly be a "Kicker" with moves like High Jump Kick.

Regality

Digital King
Well I am hoping for a Water/Electric froakie.. Grass/steel chespin.. and Fire/Ground fennekin.

rocky505

Only one thing will make me accept Grass/Dark Chespin and that is a dark type move with 100+ BP that it could utilize.

Status
Not open for further replies.