• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Frankly I could see alot of typings work for Froakie

Water/Fighting
A Gentlemen Boxer or a Fighter of some sort
Water/Flying
Rain Storm frog also a Frogs high hopping could be seen as a form of flying
Water/Ice
Frost Frog the Sumo Frog thing might work well here but I hope to the gods Froakie stays light and lean
Water/Thunder
A Thunder Storm Frog it'd like it here in florida lol
Thunder/Dragon
This would be pretty cool actually but I doubt they'd take Water out completely so it'd probably be Water/Thunder again and the idea of Froakie becoming a Dragon isn't so strange either its no more strange then a Sea Otter becoming a Sea Lion

Shraeder

It's Lit

Water/Fighting
Water/Flying
Water/Ice
Frost Frog the Sumo Frog thing might work well here but I hope to the gods Froakie stays light and lean
Water/Thunder
Thunder/Dragon
This would be pretty cool actually but I doubt they'd take Water out completely so it'd probably be Water/Thunder again and the idea of Froakie becoming a Dragon isn't so strange either its no more strange then a Sea Otter becoming a Sea Lion

A Dragon/Electric frog that is the Water starter, huh? Seems legit.

BurningWhiteKyurem

Thunder/Dragon

Except Sea Lion and Sea Otter look similar enough that you can pass them off as part of the same family. A frog and a dragon does not have that kind of luxury for obvious reasons. And for balance reasons that's a ridiculous idea: you basically nerf fire and grass damage due to Dragon's resistance to their types, plus it's very unlikely that a grass and fire type will know many dragon/ice moves (if any at all), so you'd need to rely on ground, which isn't always available for grass and fire.

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now

Water/Fighting
Water/Flying
Water/Ice
Water/Thunder
Thunder/Dragon

water/thunder & thunder/dragon... a bit out of this world...

Probably water/fighting but I dont think it would be anything like Hitmonlee/chan again...

Last edited:

Yveltal96

A little more human
Except Sea Lion and Sea Otter look similar enough that you can pass them off as part of the same family. A frog and a dragon does not have that kind of luxury for obvious reasons. And for balance reasons that's a ridiculous idea: you basically nerf fire and grass damage due to Dragon's resistance to their types, plus it's very unlikely that a grass and fire type will know many dragon/ice moves (if any at all), so you'd need to rely on ground, which isn't always available for grass and fire.

agreed. Also not to mention that it's highly unlikely they would ever do dragon starter typings unless they made them all dragon
even then, it's ridiculous for any of these starters to be dragon. I can understand why people would want serperior or charizard to be dragon, but froakie is a frog. That's a freakin amphibian. Dragons are reptiles, and look absolutely nothing like a dragon

Nacreous

Fire trainer
agreed. Also not to mention that it's highly unlikely they would ever do dragon starter typings unless they made them all dragon
even then, it's ridiculous for any of these starters to be dragon. I can understand why people would want serperior or charizard to be dragon, but froakie is a frog. That's a freakin amphibian. Dragons are reptiles, and look absolutely nothing like a dragon

Actually,dragons are not real creatures so you can't classify them as reptiles.

sflytal

Actually Charmander was based off of a Salamander which are also amphibians.

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
and Charizard should of been dragon

sflytal

It's Pokemon... if a fish can become an Octopus anything can happen.

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
I think that it's ridiculous that a starter pokemon isn't allowed to be a dragon. so what?

Would be great if they made gen 7 where all starters final evo's were part dragon. Or make a triangle with it x/dragon, y/ice, z/whaatever type would fit

Valdoom

Team Armageddon
I think that it's ridiculous that a starter pokemon isn't allowed to be a dragon. so what?

Would be great if they made gen 7 where all starters final evo's were part dragon. Or make a triangle with it x/dragon, y/ice, z/whaatever type would fit

It would work in that regard if they were all dragons but one on its own wouldn't work; especially with Charizard, Fire/Dragon. While they aren't completely balanced a lot of the time - Swampert X4 weak to grass for example, they are always super effected by one of the other starters in some way. Even Gen 4 with Empoleon's Steel typing Torterra was still able to do SE damage with ground moves etc.

D!3g0

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Let's say Fairy-Type is real, and following the Fairy>Dragon rumor.

I'd like it if Fennekin would be Fire/Fairy. It has the elegance and grace to pull it off by looking mystical, yet not Tinkerbell-ish. Foxes are associated with Magic, yes?

It'd have decent type coverage, SE on Steel, Ice, Bug, Grass, Dark, Fighting and Dragon, only being resisted by Fire. Its weaknesses to Poison, Water, Ground and Rock are crippling, but having a Electric-Type Move and Earth Power on it would be a great help to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.