• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberworrier94

Story Writer
Well I have a strange take on this, but here is how I picture each starters final evo will end up being:
Fenniken
Fire/Psychic: As noted from speculation, each pokemon develops a second type to thwart its opposite. The added Psychic
Will allow Fenniken to stop its opposite, and with its added defense (I see it as a Fennick Fox has good sense of defense) it
can protect it self from its opponent.
Chespin
Grass/Rock: Since it learns roll out, and its based on a hedgehog, I can assume it will be like a Donphan pkm. Also
this give him a type advantage over fire as I believe fire is weak to rock. It's added defense will also allow it to
be safe from other as well.
Froakie
Water/Fighting: Flame on, but this balances out the cycle in my little head. Fighting will prove to beat the Rock sub
type possibly give to Chespin, and allow Fenniken to beat it with ease. It's speed and from what i can tell, base physical
attack will make fighting type an excellent typing for Froakie, along with its evo looking more like that toad from
Naruto.
I hope this is a good guess or wish. Hope this can spark some conversation as well.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Surprised no one's commented on this yet. Very cool. ~ 105 base hp is pretty cool, though to be honest on a grass type it'd be best to have lower base hp and higher defenses, for leech seed and drain moves. I don't agree with your type prediction however. While grass/rock wouldn't be a bad combination, it wouldn't be good either. Defensively, it leaves few resists, only resisting one type (electric) and still being weak to ice, fighting, bug, and steel. I'd go so far as to say it's worse than grass alone. That being said, I disagree mainly with your point that it doesn't fit flavor wise. Chespin is a hedgehog, of course it's gonna learn rolly moves like rollout, defense curl, maybe even rapid spin and gyro ball.

On an unrelated note, and this might just be me being too hopeful, does anyone think it'd be too weird having a starter be dark type? I mean, dark type is evil type in japan, and if I was a kid and my loveable little chespin turned into an evil poke, I'd be weirded out.
Thank you for the feedback! But, remember, Torterra has 95 HP which is not far off from the final evolution's predicted HP, so it can work if the other stats are spread out right and tankish Pokemon are meant moreso to take hits and deal them rather than lay down moves such as Leech Seed which is what support Pokemon do better. As for the typing; to each his own. What type do you think Chespin will end up being?

Last edited:

Shraeder

It's Lit
Well I have a strange take on this, but here is how I picture each starters final evo will end up being:
Fenniken
Fire/Psychic: As noted from speculation, each pokemon develops a second type to thwart its opposite. The added Psychic
Will allow Fenniken to stop its opposite, and with its added defense (I see it as a Fennick Fox has good sense of defense) it
Chespin
Grass/Rock: Since it learns roll out, and its based on a hedgehog, I can assume it will be like a Donphan pkm. Also
this give him a type advantage over fire as I believe fire is weak to rock. It's added defense will also allow it to
Froakie
Water/Fighting: Flame on, but this balances out the cycle in my little head. Fighting will prove to beat the Rock sub
type possibly give to Chespin, and allow Fenniken to beat it with ease. It's speed and from what i can tell, base physical
attack will make fighting type an excellent typing for Froakie, along with its evo looking more like that toad from
Naruto.
I hope this is a good guess or wish. Hope this can spark some conversation as well.

Only issue I have with Grass/Rock I'd that Fire isn't super effective against it. That's why I advocate Grass/Dark.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I'd prefer Fennekin to be Fire/Ground. One, it's a superior type defense and offense wise to Fire/Psychic, and it's a Fennec Fox, a species that lives in a desert, right?

In fact, a fast Fire/Ground Fennekin evo could take UU/OU by storm. Starters tend to have decent move pools, but are held back by types or weird stats.

Perhaps Solid Rock as an DW ability? Sap Sipper? Or perhaps Sand Force/Veil/Rush/Stream? You all have to admit it. A Fire/Ground Fennekin evo with decent speeds w/ Sand Stream would be freakin' awesome!

Defense Wise (Types left out means they're neutral!)

Weak To: Ground, Water (x4)

Immune To: Electric

Resists: Poison, Bug, Steel, Fire

Basically, just call it Volcarona wall.

My predicted stats:

HP:85
Attack: 55/120
Defense: 80
Sp. Attack: 120/55
Sp. Defense: 100
Speed: 100

I don't see the need for a second triangle, and don't do the 'Froakie x4>Fire/Ground!' Because same happened with Sceptile>Swampert. But if there's a second triangle, I'd like

Chespin-Grass/Electric or Grass/Flying
Fennekin-Fire/Ground
Froakie-Water/Flying or Water/Electric.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad
I'd prefer Fennekin to be Fire/Ground. One, it's a superior type defense and offense wise to Fire/Psychic, and it's a Fennec Fox, a species that lives in a desert, right?

In fact, a fast Fire/Ground Fennekin evo could take UU/OU by storm. Starters tend to have decent move pools, but are held back by types or weird stats.

Perhaps Solid Rock as an DW ability? Sap Sipper? Or perhaps Sand Force/Veil/Rush/Stream? You all have to admit it. A Fire/Ground Fennekin evo with decent speeds w/ Sand Stream would be freakin' awesome!

Defense Wise (Types left out means they're neutral!)

Weak To: Ground, Water (x4)

Immune To: Electric

Resists: Poison, Bug, Steel, Fire

Basically, just call it Volcarona wall.

My predicted stats:

HP:85
Attack: 55/120
Defense: 80
Sp. Attack: 120/55
Sp. Defense: 100
Speed: 100

I don't see the need for a second triangle, and don't do the 'Froakie x4>Fire/Ground!' Because same happened with Sceptile>Swampert. But if there's a second triangle, I'd like

Chespin-Grass/Electric or Grass/Flying
Fennekin-Fire/Ground
Froakie-Water/Flying or Water/Electric.

It's a nice prediction, but why should the starters be balanced against each other?
The only time you battle starters is mostly against your rival, and if they choose for 2 rivals like in bw, you choice is not that important.

I just want 3 awesome starters who make the first choice of the game already a difficult one.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
It's a nice prediction, but why should the starters be balanced against each other?
The only time you battle starters is mostly against your rival, and if they choose for 2 rivals like in bw, you choice is not that important.

I just want 3 awesome starters who make the first choice of the game already a difficult one.

I said that myself, but do many people seem to want one.

I hope the game is like D/P/Pt, where other trainers have starters. It makes it easier to see the one line your rival didn't pick, and makes it seem more like starters by seeing other trainers using them. I remember a youngster who used a Chimchar.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad
I said that myself, but do many people seem to want one.

I hope the game is like D/P/Pt, where other trainers have starters. It makes it easier to see the one line your rival didn't pick, and makes it seem more like starters by seeing other trainers using them. I remember a youngster who used a Chimchar.

That's indeed more real, because in some games it's easier to catch a legendary than see the starter your rival didn't pick:p.

But i just hope that you have 2 rivals again, don't know why they never put this in another game.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
My 1,000 post!!!!! Woo me! To celebrate, I’m gonna do a big Fennekin analysis!

Fennekin’s Basis

Fennekin is obviously a Fennec Fox. A Fennec Fox is an interesting Fire-Type starter, as unlike the others (bar Charmander), it actually has a reason to be Fire-Type. Fennec Foxes use their ears to stop themselves overheating, and also it’s adapted to deserts, meaning chances are it can’t swim. Its name obviously comes from Fennec (Fox) + Kindle. It also makes sense as a starter, as it’s an Exotic Pet. Starters are like pets, and aren’t common, so Fennekin is an Exotic Pet.

Fennekin is a great starter for a France-Centric region. Look at this!

The French aviator and writer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry made a reference, in a letter written to his sister Didi from Cape Juby in 1918, to his raising a fennec that he adored. Saint-Exupéry also mentioned encountering a fennec when wandering in the Sahara after his plane crashed there in 1935. The fennecs he had known in these two contexts are considered to have inspired the fox character in Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince.

Fennekin’s Design:

Fennekin is a Fennec Fox like creature, with sandy yellows as its main colours. It has red at the tip of its tail, and red hair in its ears. Sound disgusting, but looks adorable.

Fennekin’s Moves and Stats

So far, we’ve seen that Fennekin learns Tackle, Growl and Ember, three moves that it shares with Cyndaquil and Tepig. It also learns Howl, which the other three fox lines (Abra, Vulpix and Zorua) miss. Perhaps it evolves into a more wolf like Pokemon? Or GF just decided to stick howl on it? Perhaps Fennekin will have high attack? Ground-Type attacks are mostly physical, and that seems to be where Fennekin is heading. I guess Fennekin will be a sweeper, or perhaps a tank? I have a problem seeing Fennekin as slow.

Fennekin’s Types and Abilities

We know Fennekin is pure Fire-Type, so nothing there. It does look rather plain, so a Pure Fire line wouldn’t be impossible. Fire/Rock is an option, but I doubt it due to Fennekin looking smooth and cute. Fire/Psychic… Foxes are related to magic, but to me Fennekin doesn’t look ‘mystic’ enough. Vulpix has a mystery about it, but Fennekin is just cute, like a puppy. Fire/Flying? No. Just no. Charizard sucked. But it could happen, but I don’t see it. My favourite option is Fire/Ground, as Fennec Foxes are desert creatures, and do dig burrows and things. What type is Dig? Ground ;P

We guess it has Blaze, so DW Ability wise, I can see it getting Soundproof if it’s Fire or Fire/Psychic. But Fire/Rock and Fire/Ground is where it truly shines. A Sand ability would be nice. Sand Veil/Force/Rush and Stream are all good abilities, with the last three possibly making Fennekin’s evo a beast in the standard metagame. But Fennec Foxes can live for ages without water… and its genus name comes from Dry… Dry Skin? With Dry Skin and being a Fire/Ground, it’d have three resistances and two immunities, with only one weakness! It’d lose its resistance to Fire though. Would make a good Kyogre counter. How Ironic? A Fire/Ground type is Kyogre’s bane. XD But it’d have to watch out for Bizzard/Ice Beam. But seriously, being able to f*ck up Kyogre due to making it avoid using its two best moves (Water Spout/Hydro Pump/Surf and Thunder!) is nothing to laugh at! But it’d be a bit too OP.

Overall:

OMGIWANTITRIGHTNOW!!!!I’MGONNACALL IT MOZILLA!!!!!HURRYTHEF*CKUPOCTOBER!!!!!!

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
Fenniken
Chespin
Froakie
Naruto.

I personally would love to see Grass/Rock Starter Pokemon..but honestly i think Chespin is not going to be Grass/Rock..i would rather have it be Grass/Steel than Grass/Rock..

Pokefan1905

Overall:

I'm gonna call my Fennekin, "Tomoe" cuz it references one of my favorite romance manga and the main dude character's a fox demon. ;P Anyway, October is only soon to be 4 months away so, we are almost half way done with waiting.. Wait.. Halfway..? I waited for so long and it was only half..? NOOOooooooo! T^T Why god..

Regality

Digital King
As long as the weekly news from smash is enough to keep us going.. it'll fly by!
I hope.

Rhynox

Thank you for the feedback! But, remember, Torterra has 95 HP which is not far off from the final evolution's predicted HP, so it can work if the other stats are spread out right and tankish Pokemon are meant moreso to take hits and deal them rather than lay down moves such as Leech Seed which is what support Pokemon do better. As for the typing; to each his own. What type do you think Chespin will end up being?

Yeah 105 base hp is actually really high and would make a great tank. I think Swampert has base 100 hp, and he's an amazing tank. Mostly due to that and his typing I suppose. I guess I'm just sort of wishing chespin might work sort of like conkeldur, with pretty good defenses and high attack, spamming drain moves to stay alive and dish out punishment. As for typing, I feel it'll be grass and rock/ground/steel, and I pray every night that steel makes the cut. Most likely won't happen though.

Shraeder

It's Lit
My 1,000 post!!!!! Woo me! To celebrate, I’m gonna do a big Fennekin analysis!

Fennekin’s Basis

Fennekin is obviously a Fennec Fox. A Fennec Fox is an interesting Fire-Type starter, as unlike the others (bar Charmander), it actually has a reason to be Fire-Type. Fennec Foxes use their ears to stop themselves overheating, and also it’s adapted to deserts, meaning chances are it can’t swim. Its name obviously comes from Fennec (Fox) + Kindle. It also makes sense as a starter, as it’s an Exotic Pet. Starters are like pets, and aren’t common, so Fennekin is an Exotic Pet.

Fennekin is a great starter for a France-Centric region. Look at this!

The French aviator and writer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry made a reference, in a letter written to his sister Didi from Cape Juby in 1918, to his raising a fennec that he adored. Saint-Exupéry also mentioned encountering a fennec when wandering in the Sahara after his plane crashed there in 1935. The fennecs he had known in these two contexts are considered to have inspired the fox character in Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince.

Fennekin’s Design:

Fennekin is a Fennec Fox like creature, with sandy yellows as its main colours. It has red at the tip of its tail, and red hair in its ears. Sound disgusting, but looks adorable.

Fennekin’s Moves and Stats

So far, we’ve seen that Fennekin learns Tackle, Growl and Ember, three moves that it shares with Cyndaquil and Tepig. It also learns Howl, which the other three fox lines (Abra, Vulpix and Zorua) miss. Perhaps it evolves into a more wolf like Pokemon? Or GF just decided to stick howl on it? Perhaps Fennekin will have high attack? Ground-Type attacks are mostly physical, and that seems to be where Fennekin is heading. I guess Fennekin will be a sweeper, or perhaps a tank? I have a problem seeing Fennekin as slow.

Fennekin’s Types and Abilities

We know Fennekin is pure Fire-Type, so nothing there. It does look rather plain, so a Pure Fire line wouldn’t be impossible. Fire/Rock is an option, but I doubt it due to Fennekin looking smooth and cute. Fire/Psychic… Foxes are related to magic, but to me Fennekin doesn’t look ‘mystic’ enough. Vulpix has a mystery about it, but Fennekin is just cute, like a puppy. Fire/Flying? No. Just no. Charizard sucked. But it could happen, but I don’t see it. My favourite option is Fire/Ground, as Fennec Foxes are desert creatures, and do dig burrows and things. What type is Dig? Ground ;P

We guess it has Blaze, so DW Ability wise, I can see it getting Soundproof if it’s Fire or Fire/Psychic. But Fire/Rock and Fire/Ground is where it truly shines. A Sand ability would be nice. Sand Veil/Force/Rush and Stream are all good abilities, with the last three possibly making Fennekin’s evo a beast in the standard metagame. But Fennec Foxes can live for ages without water… and its genus name comes from Dry… Dry Skin? With Dry Skin and being a Fire/Ground, it’d have three resistances and two immunities, with only one weakness! It’d lose its resistance to Fire though. Would make a good Kyogre counter. How Ironic? A Fire/Ground type is Kyogre’s bane. XD But it’d have to watch out for Bizzard/Ice Beam. But seriously, being able to f*ck up Kyogre due to making it avoid using its two best moves (Water Spout/Hydro Pump/Surf and Thunder!) is nothing to laugh at! But it’d be a bit too OP.

Overall:

IMHO it does look like it could be a Psychic type. On top of that, it's quite clearly using a Psychic-type move in the trailer.

On your other post, I disagree with Chespin being Grass/Flying because honestly it would just look ridiculous.
And why do you think Froakie/Chespin will be part Electric? There's absolutely nothing hinting towards Chespin being Electric, while Froakie doesn't even look electrical, and don't try to say "there's a cloud on its back" because it's not a cloud, it's foam.

I'm still betting Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting because everything else doesn't make sense or have any evidence IMO. Except Fire/Ground, but just because it's a Fennec fox doesn't mean it has to be Ground type.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
According to chespins bulpedia page he is based off the first mammal meaning it will probably be on all four sin it's final form like most mammals and i also got this link from his bulpedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castanopsis

based on the pic i say he evolves to have a tree on his head kinda like torterra

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I'm still betting Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting because everything else doesn't make sense or have any evidence IMO. Except Fire/Ground, but just because it's a Fennec fox doesn't mean it has to be Ground type.

M-Fennekin's post actually convinced me to look at Fennec Foxes, and I can see where Fire/Ground comes from. Looks like Fire/Electric is out XD
But really a physical Fire/Ground fox would be interesting. Fire/Psychic looks plausible only because that one screenshot it uses a pink wavy move, but other than that, Fennekin may just be Fire/Ground.

Gah! According to Bulbapedia, Froakie is the shortest starter standing at 0.3m! I hope it grows and improves into a big Water/Fighting, Water/Electric (could be wear a cloud instead of bubble foam when it evolves).

Avi604

Reef Trainer
M-Fennekin's post actually convinced me to look at Fennec Foxes, and I can see where Fire/Ground comes from. Looks like Fire/Electric is out XD
But really a physical Fire/Ground fox would be interesting. Fire/Psychic looks plausible only because that one screenshot it uses a pink wavy move, but other than that, Fennekin may just be Fire/Ground.

Gah! According to Bulbapedia, Froakie is the shortest starter standing at 0.3m! I hope it grows and improves into a big Water/Fighting, Water/Electric (could be wear a cloud instead of bubble foam when it evolves).

I'm think Froakie will be a water frog version of Infernape and I am happy about that. :)
I think he will also have the gold trim in his design like Infernape and Emboar, I think the three make the "Journey to the west" trio.

Skiddsy

Amping It Up
According to chespins bulpedia page he is based off the first mammal meaning it will probably be on all four sin it's final form like most mammals and i also got this link from his bulpedia page

That is a speculation by many players because it is the first obviously mammalian grass starter. However, all it's names and it's design point to it either being a hedgehog or porcupine (mostly hedgehog). And the first mammals didn't have spines. And posture is pretty unpredictable in pokemon. Zigzagoon is a raccoon, but it doesn't stand upright (at least in any official capacity I've seen), while rhydon is a rhinocerous that stands on two limbs. And in general, going from bipedal to quadrupedal in pokemon is uncommon - Honestly, Dewott is the only one to come to mind right away. (Part of why samurott was so bizarre to me, I think)

Shraeder

It's Lit
I'm think Froakie will be a water frog version of Infernape and I am happy about that. :)
I think he will also have the gold trim in his design like Infernape and Emboar, I think the three make the "Journey to the west" trio.

I agree with you on all your points. I wouldn't mind the gold design either(since it looks cool), but it seems kind of unoriginal/repetitive.

Avi604

Reef Trainer
I agree with you on all your points. I wouldn't mind the gold design either(since it looks cool), but it seems kind of unoriginal/repetitive.

But when it ties the three together as all based from a chinese epic I don't see it as unoriginal but thats just me.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I'm sure Fennekin's second move was Growl or something. Didn't the other moves in the original trailers make damage noises? >0< But I hope that was a placeholder cry and not Fennekin's real one. It sounds like Pikachu getting raped by a knife >_<

With that disproved, where's the proof Fennekin's a Fire/Psychic type? They've never done a second triangle, why would they have to do one now?

And Fennekin's habitat is still a reliable thing. All of the starter's second types had a meaning:

Venesaur-Grass/Poison-Poisonous flowers.
Charizard-Fire/Flying-Dragons have wings (usually!)
Blaziken-Fire/Fighting-**** Fights!
Swampert-Water/Ground-The Animal It's based off of! (Like something called a Mud Puppy or something? Or at least Mudkip is.) And it's amphibious (Did I spell it right?)
Torterra-Grass/Ground-The world turtle
Infernape-F/F-Journey to the West!
Empoleon-Water/Steel-Penguins are resistant creatures, able to live in Antarctic areas.
Emboar-F/F-Journey to the West!

Despite the whole 'Magical Fox' that has been pulled by Abra, and to a lesser extent Vulpix and Zorua, what else is there to support Fire/Psychic?

Grass/Steel Chespin, Fire/Ground Fennekin and Water/Ice Froakie look good for me.

(Water/Flying isn't because of the Foam, it's because Foam looks like Snow, as well as the fact I think Foam can freeze. If you disagree with the whole Foam looks like Snow thing, look at this!)

Status
Not open for further replies.