• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaquaza

Elite Spritist
i think Sceptile and Swampert werent revealed but Blaziken was revealed and then later shown in the anime before the game released.
Yeah, Harrison's Blaziken was shown early (wasn't it?), so at least one of the Hoenn starters was shown early.

Also, does anyone think that we'll get the novelty Pokémon released early (if it's not Gogoat)? Kecleon and Chatot were shown early, and Zorua/Zoroark were if you can consider them as novelty Pokémon.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
alright i know how i'll pick my starter for any of you who watch some of marrilands play though he picks them based off his ending number on his trainer card if 0 he picks any one he wants 1-3 grass 4-6 fire 6-9 water so i'll do it that way

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Yeah, Harrison's Blaziken was shown early (wasn't it?), so at least one of the Hoenn starters was shown early.

I think they should go with this strategy again. Show an evo of a 6th gen starter in the anime to rouse some attention for Ash to go travel around the Kalos region. Perhaps Chespin's middle evo?

Shraeder

It's Lit
Hopefully they reveal at least the second evolutions in September.

rocky505

However, no one knew it had anything to do with the starters so i wouldn't count it.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
i think Sceptile and Swampert werent revealed but Blaziken was revealed and then later shown in the anime before the game released.

Yes I didn't mention it for obvious reason, we all know it was revealed in the anime.

I'm going to be expecting the middle stages to be revealed like last region, probably in July/August.

Vecherom

Lavaridge Trainer
I myself will probably choose Fenekin, but I wish it was the low key starter like Treeko, Chikorita, Piplup. (Well those are my perceptions at least)

Gipauchii

Elite Trainer
I would love to see a Grass/Steel typing for Chespin's evolutions.

Strengths (5): Ground, Rock, Water, Ice, Fairy (If rumors are true)
Resistances (10): Normal, Rock, Ghost, Steel, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Dragon, Dark
Immunities (1): Poison
Standard Damage (4): Flying, Ground, Bug, Ice
Weaknesses (2): Fighting, Fire

Having at least four strengths and a whopping TEN resistances with only two weaknesses would make Grass/Steel an amazing type combination for Chespin. If the green features on it represent armor, then we might just get that typing.

Last edited:

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi

Also, does anyone think that we'll get the novelty Pokémon released early (if it's not Gogoat)? Kecleon and Chatot were shown early, and Zorua/Zoroark were if you can consider them as novelty Pokémon.

i didn't know that i hadn't seen awhole lot of the anime and i haven't watched it since i quit years ago ( piplup said it wouldn't evolve) i recently got back into pokemon games but not the anime.

Avi604

Reef Trainer
I wonder how many pokedex entires talk about getting into trouble that aren't dark types? But I still font see how Chespin could be dark, seems weird to me.

Karlos Region

Kiss me Stunfisk!
Well... My theory for last evos...

Fennekin
Fire/Dark
Since Fennec foxes are nocturnal animals, I can clearly see a cuadrupedal, glammazonic, flames-themed fox, with this escense of mystery and eleganza that we can see puoring out Fennekin's ear fluffs (lol) about color schemes, I can see more red, light black, intense orange and some white...

Chespin
Grass/Steel
Parting from the idea of a hard chestnut, and discharting Rock type, the "hardest" type I can think of is Steel, I can imagine a hard-shelled knight in its shiny green chestnut armor, with some advanced deffensive system on its back, in the shape of a porcupin's needle-back, but with glances of nature. not all steel types have to be metalic, sylver/gray or robotic like.. Mawhile, Lucario, HIRACHI... so... not that crazy for a Chestknight...

and... Froakie (my fav)
Water/Fighting
Gamakitchi, Gamatatsu? Naruto's huge sword-wielder toad? so.. apart from that reference, to me, Froakie will be Ninja themed, so Fighting type fits just fine.. Besides Froakie looks like one of those japanese thieves, with gloves, backpack and a knot in its nose, all I can extract from that its the speed, accuracy and lethalness... so... Ninja Toad to me Plee-s!!

cyberworrier94

Story Writer
Hmm fluff in ears, hard shell in back, and foam around its neck. After some thought and look into these starters species they are based on, I think I got a good guess on these starter's typing:
Fennekin could just be plan old Fire type. I see that some of it features spread from ground to psychic to even dark. I think GF will play it safe and make this one another pure fire type starter.
And (please don't flame me for this) could it be likely that IF fairy type is real, that Fennekin will be a Fire/Fairy type?
Chespin on the other hand still leans me to Grass/Steel or Grass/Rock as its description and even actions depict a young learning hero type Pokemon. Many warriors in European history would
act a bit over confident, and sometimes that lead to their defeat. So maybe we will see a Chespin knight. Hell maybe that knight stature we saw was Chespin's final evo? Just a guess.
Frokie looks to be a Ninja to me, since Toads are mostly portrayed as fighters or Ninja's in most Japanese pop cultures, I'd expect none less. But I do feel a vibe of a Water/Dark or Water/Fighting type
to play in. Hell my friends even think will will see a Water/Poison type.

Vecherom

Lavaridge Trainer
Knowing gamefreak th final evolutions might not even be dual-typed. All of this speculation of Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting (Just using as exmaples) and all we get are basic elemental starters.

Karlos Region

Kiss me Stunfisk!
Hmm fluff in ears, hard shell in back, and foam around its neck. After some thought and look into these starters species they are based on, I think I got a good guess on these starter's typing:
Fennekin could just be plan old Fire type. I see that some of it features spread from ground to psychic to even dark. I think GF will play it safe and make this one another pure fire type starter.
And (please don't flame me for this) could it be likely that IF fairy type is real, that Fennekin will be a Fire/Fairy type?
Chespin on the other hand still leans me to Grass/Steel or Grass/Rock as its description and even actions depict a young learning hero type Pokemon. Many warriors in European history would
act a bit over confident, and sometimes that lead to their defeat. So maybe we will see a Chespin knight. Hell maybe that knight stature we saw was Chespin's final evo? Just a guess.

Frokie looks to be a Ninja to me, since Toads are mostly portrayed as fighters or Ninja's in most Japanese pop cultures, I'd expect none less. But I do feel a vibe of a Water/Dark or Water/Fighting type
to play in. Hell my friends even think will will see a Water/Poison type.

You just wrote the same I posted before your post hehehe so, I wouldnt disagree with u... At first I said, "Froakie.. hum.. Water/Poison" cuz I saw a dart frog in my backyard some time ago (I live too near the Amazon) it was blue, white, black and with yellow eyes, so froakie-ish.. by then, there wasnt any x y news, so I didnt gave it relevance.. but.. well.. I'll rather a Water/Fighting Konoha-Senin Frog! hehehe

Volitide

Metempsychosis
Now that everyone's guessed every possible secondary type each of the 6th gen starters have, I'd like to propose the idea that maybe they're just going to be Grass, Fire, & Water. And personally, I'd be quite content with that (Although, I'm hoping they do have secondary types).

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Now that everyone's guessed every possible secondary type each of the 6th gen starters have, I'd like to propose the idea that maybe they're just going to be Grass, Fire, & Water. And personally, I'd be quite content with that (Although, I'm hoping they do have secondary types).

Pure types would be fine by me. It would be the first time since Gen II that it has happened as well.

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
I really like this starter trio. At first look, Fennekin was my favorite, but soon, Chespin became the one I like the most.
They all have a great design, especially Chespin, with its colors and head.
Fennekin is cute and it is great to have a fox Pokemon as a starter, I think.
Froakie is also very adorable I think, with its big eyes. It looks kinda fun too.

I'm really looking forward to their evolutions. About Chespin, I think that Grass/Rock could be possible, since its colors indicates, that it could have something to do with the Ground. It's head also looks like it could turn out to be a shield. Also, as shown in the pre-release picture, it learns rollout very early, and Grass/Rock would also be a new type combo for a starter Pokemon.

Like many others, I can imagine Fennekin to be Fire/Psychic. I don't really have a clue about Froakie. Perhaps just pure Water.
In fact, they can all 3 turn out to be single types, like Chikorita' Cyndaquil and Totodile were.

Status
Not open for further replies.