• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm really looking forward to their evolutions. About Chespin, I think that Grass/Rock could be possible, since its colors indicates, that it could have something to do with the Ground. It's head also looks like it could turn out to be a shield. Also, as shown in the pre-release picture, it learns rollout very early, and Grass/Rock would also be a new type combo for a starter Pokemon.

About Chespin, take a look back at Tepig:
- Red/Orange and Black are its primary colors: Did it become a Dark-type? Nope.
- Tepig got to learn Rollout very early in its moveset as well: Did it become a Rock-type? Nope.
- Tepig learned Smog very early in its moveset: Not a Poison-type either.

Chespin is brown because its based on a hedgehog, and hedgehogs not named Sonic are in fact brown. It's like saying Squirtle could've become Water/Rock because its shell is sandy/brown colored..

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
About Chespin, take a look back at Tepig:
- Red/Orange and Black are its primary colors: Did it become a Dark-type? Nope.
- Tepig got to learn Rollout very early in its moveset as well: Did it become a Rock-type? Nope.
- Tepig learned Smog very early in its moveset: Not a Poison-type either.

Chespin is brown because its based on a hedgehog, and hedgehogs not named Sonic are in fact brown. It's like saying Squirtle could've become Water/Rock because its shell is sandy/brown colored..

No one knows what it will be yet. That's just my personal thought. No one would have guessed Tepig to be another Fighting type, but it did.
I just think that Grass/Rock for Chespin would be interesting, since it will be something different.

Someone might have mentioned this earlier and I might just be late with it (as usual), but I wonder if the brown dot in the back part of Chespin's head means anything? Here:

chespinnthing.png

It weirdly only on the other side of the head - I don't know, could something grow out of it?
EDIT: When I say "grow out of it", I mean something being visible in Chespin's evolutions of course:)

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Someone might have mentioned this earlier and I might just be late with it (as usual), but I wonder if the brown dot in the back part of Chespin's head means anything? Here:

chespinnthing.png

It weirdly only on the other side of the head - I don't know, could something grow out of it?

It's probably nothing significant. But yes, it is interesting.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
maybe it'll become bigger and he'll shed the shell when he evolves

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
I saw a fanmade Chespin evolution, where a tree was shooting out of it's backhead. Of course it has nothing to do with anything real since it is fanmade, but the idea could be an option with this "dot" on Chespins backhead.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
I saw a fanmade Chespin evolution, where a tree was shooting out of it's backhead. Of course it has nothing to do with anything real since it is fanmade, but the idea could be an option with this "dot" on Chespins backhead.

i saw it to but thetree was growing from the top where the little 3 spikes are

Icon Zeph

Here's my prediction:

Chespin: Grass/Steel or Grass/Rock with the highest attack, above average defense, and medium speed. Will look like a warrior or knight.
Fennekin: Fire/Psychic or pure Fire with the highest special attack and special defense and lower speed compared to the other 2. Will have a wizardly sort of look.
Froakie: Water/Fighting, Water/Dark, or Water/Poison with equal stats in both attack and special attack and the highest speed of the 3. Will look like a ninja, thief, or rogue.

Together the 3 of them will cover the 3 basic fantasy classes. If it ends up being kinda like this I'm definitely going to try to get all 3 starters for my play through.

firestarter2398

Here's my prediction:

Chespin: Grass/Steel or Grass/Rock with the highest attack, above average defense, and medium speed. Will look like a warrior or knight.
Fennekin: Fire/Psychic or pure Fire with the highest special attack and special defense and lower speed compared to the other 2. Will have a wizardly sort of look.
Froakie: Water/Fighting, Water/Dark, or Water/Poison with equal stats in both attack and special attack and the highest speed of the 3. Will look like a ninja, thief, or rogue.

Together the 3 of them will cover the 3 basic fantasy classes. If it ends up being kinda like this I'm definitely going to try to get all 3 starters for my play through.
There's a rumor already and if it's true
fire/psychic water/fighting grass/dark
they can't get enough of part fighting starters

chespinnthing.png

EDIT: When I say "grow out of it", I mean something being visible in Chespin's evolutions of course:)

All grass starters evolve to grow with a plant on them
venasaur has the the massive plant, meganium has the plant around it's neck, sceptile has the the seeds and the tail is a plant too, torterra has the forest and serperior has leaves not many but it does
so the nut thing on it's head will probably be what groes on it

miles099

Gracidea Trainer
I must be the only one who actually likes Froakie the most.
Something about it just intrigues me...
IDK. I guess I just always choose the underdogs.

baconrules

Ostrich master
I think froakie is swanky too. Totally picking him and hope he gets a second type so very much

Regality

Digital King
486 people (so far) think Froakie is the best based on the poll.. so no, you are not the only one.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
I love Froakie too I love Foxes but im not super keen on Fennec Foxes personally (not my fav type of Fox) and I love Frogs too and feel Froakies going to evolve into something awesome

Heres how it is for me right now
Froakie
Fennekin
Chespin(Unless Chespin evolves into something really awesome he'll be the Tepig of this Gen for me I like him but I like the other two more)

I think Rock or Fighting would work well for Chespin Steel too I get a very Warriorish feeling from him

Fennekin I know Rock would probably be bad for Fennekin but I could see it as Rock or Flying and yes even Psychic but I refuse to acknowledge Fairy Type as a Type until its confirmed I still think Fennekin might go with a Arabic/Egyption theme

Froakie seems like either it'd be Fighting, Flying, Ice, or Electric he doesn't really envok a Dark look he looks like a Gentlemen Boxer or a Fighter of some kind but he coud become a Wizard but that would be so... ironic I guess

Everlasting

Everything stays.

chespinnthing.png

Hm. If it is significant, then I think it could be where some of Chespin's (future) spikes could come out, if he's truely a hedgehog.
Or else a simple gender difference, like Torchic, on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.