• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

firestarter2398

It's a hedgehog, but I could see where you see that. :)

how is it a hedgehog? if anything cyndaquil is a hedgehog I mean cynaquil and quilava but yeah it's a rat
regardless I just don't see how chespin is a hedgehog but maybe it'll be more like one when it evolves actually if it does then it'll have to be more awesome than sceptile and better than fennekin or my choice will (for the 5th time) be fire

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
how is it a hedgehog? if anything cyndaquil is a hedgehog I mean cynaquil and quilava but yeah it's a rat
regardless I just don't see how chespin is a hedgehog but maybe it'll be more like one when it evolves actually if it does then it'll have to be more awesome than sceptile and better than fennekin or my choice will (for the 5th time) be fire

Chespin's Japanese name is a pun of Hedgehog. And Cyndaquil is a echidna, actually. ^^

Yveltal96

A little more human

chespin is a hedgehog
[IMG200]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qtbwKtf43Gw/ULs3GGlxY7I/AAAAAAAAJwM/XWdRxmR8I-E/s1600/Baby+Hedgehog.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/008/e/5/chespin_by_xous54-d5qwhue.png[/IMG200]
It is most definitely not a squirrel. the name has no matter, also not to mention it's description is reminiscent to that of a hedgehog.

Regality

Digital King
chespin is a hedgehog
[IMG200]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qtbwKtf43Gw/ULs3GGlxY7I/AAAAAAAAJwM/XWdRxmR8I-E/s1600/Baby+Hedgehog.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/008/e/5/chespin_by_xous54-d5qwhue.png[/IMG200]
It is most definitely not a squirrel. the name has no matter, also not to mention it's description is reminiscent to that of a hedgehog.

To be honest.. defining feature of hedgehogs are the spikes right?
Well Chespin doesn't have any? Not too sure whether we can count the things on its head as they are not exactly spiky... Nor do they fulfill the defensive role that real hedgehogs spikes do.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Soooooooooo

Chespinrito has a high possibility of gaining rock as a secondary type upon evolution.

I have a feeling Foxykin will be part dark type upon evolution.

The froakster will probably be part fighting, flying, ice, psychic, or electric. Either of these are possible secondary types for the frog.

Yveltal96

A little more human
To be honest.. defining feature of hedgehogs are the spikes right?
Well Chespin doesn't have any? Not too sure whether we can count the things on its head as they are not exactly spiky... Nor do they fulfill the defensive role that real hedgehogs spikes do.

explain to me how those aren't spikes on his head

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I still don't know which one I am going to choose.
I like froakie, but I have chosen the water starter the past three generations.
I guess I will have to wait and see how epic thrir final evolutions look.

Regality

Digital King
explain to me how those aren't spikes on his head

It is a grass type.. those look like they could be leaves.
And anyway, even if they were spikes... spikes on head does not = hedgehog.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~

When Chespin is batteling, the 'leaves' gets hard and pointy. So, spikes. ^^

Yveltal96

A little more human

they are spikes though.
and besides his description also screams hedgehog and i never said that absolutely means he is a hedgehog, but it is a contributing factor. he shows key characteristics of one, and he is a hedgehog. I don't know why this is still a debate

M-D

His name is CHES-PIN. The green hoodie he looks to be wearing is clearly based on the outer-shell of a chestnut and with Pin being in his name to, it just reinforces them to be spikes - his orange tipped tail also lending itself to the outer-shell of a chestnuts stalk like thingy... I would not be surprised if the creature he is based on has pin/spike/point like features (or even potentially loses the outer shell in the end. (perhaps using it as a weapon/shield/detachable Armour...though that is very Oshawott of the species - but it's not like Osha has dibbs on the idea..)

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
@Hankka
But, what I meant was that they ARE leaf spikes...

@Zorocario
Not sure if it's suppose to be "pointy". You poor man. D:

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
For some of you that haven't seen this (I believe it was posted in this thread at some point), take a look. The chinkapin plant. An evergreen species that can be found in Japan. The nut resembles an acorn and chestnut. Why, hello there. Very interesting stuff. :) And, of course, the name chinkapin is incredibly close to Chespin. Both the beginning and end of Chespin's name.

I suppose I don't have to answer your question since everyone else hopped on it. :S The Japanese name and other foreign names refer to it being a hedgehog. And... It looks like it. Simple enough.

firestarter2398

alright so I guess it's a hedgehog but you have to admit it looks a liittle like a squirrel right?
And yes I was right along cyndaquil is like a hedgehog too, earlier this year bulbapedia said all the fire starters are from their zodiac charmander - dragon cyndaquil - rat torchic - rooster (or chicken) chimchar - monkey tepig - pig but it's wrong! And grass starters were all reptile thank Arceus they changed it to a mammal for once

Blaquaza

Elite Spritist
Chespin's Japanese name is a pun of Hedgehog. And Cyndaquil is a echidna, actually. ^^
Oh Lord... I sense a Pokémon/Sonic game coming...

Chespin = Sonic
Cyndaquil = Knuckles
Buizel = Tails
Eggman = Togepi, of course :3 (or Chansey)

Genius. :)

Seriously, though, I think it would be good if the starters all evolved into something related to France. I don't know much about France mythology/French culture, so I won't be putting forward any ideas on this. Maybe Froakie's evo could be Water/Ghost with its back becoming a clear, gassy cloud and its legs also becoming clear.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Chespin is a hedgehog. Its other names refer to it being a hedgehog, so you can't necessarily always use the English name to determine the etymology of the Pokémon. Use the Japanese.

Taken from Bulbapedia:
Harimaron is a combination of 蝟 harinezumi (hedgehog), 針 hari (needle), and marron (French for chestnut).

Status
Not open for further replies.