• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
I can agree with seeing a Fire-type lion, but not as a starter. The only issue I could see with that is that I would love to see gender differences at the last stage, which is something that hasn't been done for starters.

Gipauchii

Elite Trainer
Problem is we've already got Growlithe & Arcanine. Then again Fennekin seems like a reworked Vulpix so far so always a possibility. I like the sound of the lion one since I don't think we've had a truly leonine pokemon before.

ArCANINE is a canine, not a feline. Besides, we already have multiple Pokémon of the same animal species, so there would be no issue with having another lion Pokemon if one already existed.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
ArCANINE is a canine, not a feline. Besides, we already have multiple Pokémon of the same animal species, so there would be no issue with having another lion Pokemon if one already existed.

You seem to be forgetting that Pokemon is a Japanese video game series.

And in Japan, where Pokemon comes from, Arcanine is called Windie.

Avi604

Reef Trainer
But anyway about THESE starters they all seem like they might stay on the small side, Chespin being the bigest most likely at the end.

* I don't get what Arcanine being named Windie in Japan has anything to do with anything..

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
If anyone is going to end up being big, it'll most likely be Froakie or Chespin.

rocky505

But anyway about THESE starters they all seem like they might stay on the small side, Chespin being the bigest most likely at the end.

* I don't get what Arcanine being named Windie in Japan has anything to do with anything..

According to Bulbagarden it's just to reflect that it's fast.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
If anyone is going to end up being big, it'll most likely be Froakie or Chespin.

How so? Are you talking about aesthetics or competition?

Personally, I can see Froakie and Fennekin both ending up big in aesthetics, while Chespin looks like it may end up big in competition out of the three.

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate

lolipiece was just saying that Arcanine's name doesn't mean it's 100%CANINEOMG just because its name is Arcanine. When the creators of the damn game are, gasp, Japanese! Arcanine bears resemblance to the Chinese fu dog, which is based on a LION.

I don't see why people think all freaking Pokemon are one animal and one animal alone. Especially based off of names. English names, at that. It's incredibly disappointing to see users think they are so spot on to prove something. Ugh.

Last edited:

Avi604

Reef Trainer
lolipiece was just saying that Arcanine's name doesn't mean it's 100%CANINEOMG just because its name is Arcanine. When the creators of the damn game are, gasp, Japanese! Arcanine bears resemblance to the Chinese fu dog, which is based on a LION.

I don't see why people think all freaking Pokemon are one animal and one animal alone. Especially based off of names. English names, at that. It's incredibly disappointing to see users think they are so spot on to prove something. Ugh.

Can't tell if being rude, or helpful... lol

*the creators are Japanese...always... huh... ;p

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
Can't tell if being rude, or helpful... lol

*the creators are Japanese...always... huh... ;p

I was mainly getting on Gapauchii, sorry. I was quoting you because you asked why lolipiece even mentioned the name Windie.

oh and sorry I'm not christian, baconrules, there's only one religion and it's proven and god is known as Arceus yeah my religion is pokemon where I'm sure that no: 666 will be a devil pokemon

First, baconrules had the Christian bit in his/her signature. And you comment on it in a Pokemon thread? Religion, really? And, secondly, if you're not a Christian and there's only one religion, the number 666 would have no significance to your Pokemon religion. Because 666 is associated with Christianity, which you don't believe. So I'm not sure what the point of that tidbit was.

Last edited:

Avi604

Reef Trainer
I was mainly getting on Gapauchii, sorry. I was quoting you because you asked why lolipiece even mentioned the name Windie.

First, baconrules had the Christian bit in his/her signature. And you comment on it in a Pokemon thread? Religion, really? And, secondly, if you're not a Christian and there's only one religion, the number 666 would have no significance to your Pokemon religion. Because 666 is associated with Christianity, which you don't believe. So I'm not sure what the point of that tidbit was.

I was just giving you a hard time :D

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
I was just giving you a hard time :D

You're cool haha.

~So something I've noticed is the lack of people speculating pure types for the starters evos this gen. Normally I would think it foolish to not give pure Water/Fire/Grass some thought, but... Water and Grass have had pure typings 3 out of 5 generations while Fire has had it just once. One time have Fire starter fans had to deal with the pure typing. I'm not the biggest fan, just because of the type I prefer. Grass is my favorite typing. And almost always another type given to it helps to negate some weaknesses. Or at least give it another STAB. Fire, on the other hand, just ends up being an offensive powerhouse every time around and gets another typing. Though, I suppose I can't whine too much about it when it has seen Fire/Fighting three times in a row now haha.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Back to starters,
I'd imagine this set of starters to not balance each other out, unlike popular non-veteran demand.

It's okay if Chespin is Grass/Rock and Fennekin is Pure Fire, or Grass/Fighting and Fire/Dark respectively, but the point of starters is to have someone better than you.
'Someone will always be better than you, and that's okay.' is the point of having a rival human and a rival Pokémon because that stresses the point of becoming better than your rival. (Well, Geno, the fifth gen rivals weren't THAT difficult.)

Avi604

Reef Trainer
Yeah I see Fennekin as the most likely to be pure type IMO. I can see how people see pyschic type too but the fire starters to need their turn being pure as well. I know the rumors and all but Chespin looks to cute and inocent to be dark type, I like grass/rock myself for his typing. Froakie is my starter for sure and type wise I think it will be water/fighting but I can also see maybe water/dark.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Yeah I see Fennekin as the most likely to be pure type IMO. I can see how people see pyschic type too but the fire starters to need their turn being pure as well. I know the rumors and all but Chespin looks to cute and inocent to be dark type, I like grass/rock myself for his typing. Froakie is my starter for sure and type wise I think it will be water/fighting but I can also see maybe water/dark.

While it looks cute doesn't mean it can't change personality upon evolution. If I'm right Chespin has a personality that gets itself in trouble at times.

Coller23

Aggron Extraordinair
Back to starters,
I'd imagine this set of starters to not balance each other out, unlike popular non-veteran demand.

It's okay if Chespin is Grass/Rock and Fennekin is Pure Fire, or Grass/Fighting and Fire/Dark respectively, but the point of starters is to have someone better than you.
'Someone will always be better than you, and that's okay.' is the point of having a rival human and a rival Pokémon because that stresses the point of becoming better than your rival. (Well, Geno, the fifth gen rivals weren't THAT difficult.)

Veteran? Sorry to say but your opinion on starter types should be has nothing to do with how long you've played the series.

Avi604

Reef Trainer
While it looks cute doesn't mean it can't change personality upon evolution. If I'm right Chespin has a personality that gets itself in trouble at times.

I wondered about that, how many none dark types pokedex entries state that they get into touble? But that face... it's so cute. I mean Mawile is claimed to be deceptive and isn't a dark type but I don't know.... and look at Chespins face it's so cute.. I really can't tell lol.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
~So something I've noticed is the lack of people speculating pure types for the starters evos this gen. Normally I would think it foolish to not give pure Water/Fire/Grass some thought, but... Water and Grass have had pure typings 3 out of 5 generations while Fire has had it just once. One time have Fire starter fans had to deal with the pure typing. I'm not the biggest fan, just because of the type I prefer. Grass is my favorite typing. And almost always another type given to it helps to negate some weaknesses. Or at least give it another STAB. Fire, on the other hand, just ends up being an offensive powerhouse every time around and gets another typing. Though, I suppose I can't whine too much about it when it has seen Fire/Fighting three times in a row now haha.

You know, Fire being more of a Stall-Tank than attacker tank would bring some spice to the Fire type (puns, Geno!).

Bulky fire Pokémon are already rare in general, so having a bulky Fire starter with better defensive stats whilst maintaining a powerfully wide movepool would be really interesting!

Now that I look back, I chose Fennekin on the survey. Now I wish i could go back and choose Froakie or Chespin because they seem like much more interesting concepts.

Cutty

Forever now
Well, frogs and foxes are over done too much... so Chespin somewhat motivates me to choose it...
And I don't think its final evo would be so big...

Status
Not open for further replies.