• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Apart from Samurott and Serperior, all starters learn Earthquake. If its Water/Flying it probably won't be an issue.

Unfortunately, it probably won't be Water/Flying as that removes Chespin's advantage over it unless it becomes Grass/Rock or Grass/Electric. The former is more likely, but that means Fennekin would have to end up part Bug, Steel, Ice or Fighting to keep its advantage and all those types seem unlikely imo.
Well,Empoleon ended up Water/Steel so,I don't think that's an issue.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
A flying Frog? um ok that is interesting? Although I guess people are fed up with Starters being part fighting in general since the last three Fire type starters have ended up becoming part fighting. However I do suspect a flying frog would be something that people would wish for, but if it did happen then people may end up moaning that it looks weird and gets murdered by electric types.

Um, you do realize that Flying Frogs are real things, they basically glide like a Flying Squirrel does. And 'looks weird'? Come on, it's Pokemon, everything's weird.

And it has a Ground immunity. And I don't see people moaning about Gyarados ;)

I'd die for a Fire/Ghost Fennekin, but Fire/Psychic is good as well. I prefer Fire/Ghost because of the two immunities :3

NightFire7

Aflying frog would be cool, but I doubt Froakie will end up evolving into a flying type, if it does I will be surprised, but that pokebeach rumour that has been right so far says that we are going to get Dark, psychic, fighting

I mean A flying Frog

Last edited by a moderator:

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
But Torterra evolved earlier and learnt Earthquake immediately as it did so. It still retains its advantage.

Chespin learns Rollout.

Plus, does it really matter? The Primary Triangle got cut out, and Empoleon could be SE hit by both its counterparts. And also, Torterra became Neutral to Water.

Aflying frog would be cool, but I doubt Froakie will end up evolving into a flying type, if it does I will be surprised, but that pokebeach rumour that has been right so far says that we are going to get Dark, psychic, fighting

They screwed up the professor name, saying it's 'Patrice' who gives us the Kalos Starters, but it seems to be Tierno who does so with Sycamore being the main professor, who probably sent Tierno to do so.

And I don't see a new Mewtwo forme '3'

Everything else in that rumor is... well, just a rumor until confirmed. There's bound to be some mistakes.

Ditto24

They screwed up the professor name, saying it's 'Patrice' who gives us the Kalos Starters, but it seems to be Tierno who does so with Sycamore being the main professor.

I wouldn't say he 'screwed up'. He played a beta about 6 months ago, the games were still very much in development, it wouldn't be a too much of a stretch that GF decided to switch the names around. The fact he mentioned Sycamore is still pretty impressive. The leaker also mixed up the starters types so he may have mixed professors up to. I also think that its hinted that Tierno gives you the starters but nowhere has it said that the starters are his to give away, he could well be doing it on behalf of Sycamore.

True, there is no 2nd Mewtwo form...however we had no Inkay/Malimar until last week so it still doesn't rule out that there will be one.

He just gave info on what he knew, which wasn't alot of details but it did cover a wide range of stuff.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I wouldn't say he 'screwed up'. He played a beta about 6 months ago, the games were still very much in development, it wouldn't be a too much of a stretch that GF decided to switch the names around. The fact he mentioned Sycamore is still pretty impressive. The leaker also mixed up the starters types so he may have mixed professors up to. I also think that its hinted that Tierno gives you the starters but nowhere has it said that the starters are his to give away, he could well be doing it on behalf of Sycamore.

True, there is no 2nd Mewtwo form...however we had no Inkay/Malimar until last week so it still doesn't rule out that there will be one.

He just gave info on what he knew, which wasn't alot of details but it did cover a wide range of stuff.

Well, if your going to use the 'Beta' excuse, then how do we know the starter evos haven't been changed? And I meant Tierno gives us them on Sycamore's behalf.

And I'm sure a 2nd Mewtwo forme wouldn't be neglected like this, while the other Mewtwo gets all the glory. All other Pokemon with more then one forme have shown of all of them at roughly the same time, sans Deoxys' Speed Forme, which was probably added to give Emerald it's own unique Deoxys, and even then we get a special with Speed Forme included later.

And as you said, Beta, so some of that stuff might change.

So, I'm expecting Fennekin or Froakie to be the fastest, but I wouldn't mind Chespin being the fastest.

I expect:

Chespin: Tank

Fennekin: Special Sweeper

Froakie: Mixed Glass Cannon

Teraflare

Well it is a speculation thread for a reason! Although rumours mostly exist to create hype, they can't all be utter nonsense. Plus, almost every rumour from the Pokebeach source has been true up to now, so I don't think there are a lot of things left to doubt.

Back to the starter speculation; a water/flying Froakie evolution would be amazing! I am certain it will learn Acrobatics as its main Flying STAB! I also think Extremespeed and Agility are also possible moves it will be able to learn.
I am really disappointed that Fennekin learns Howl instead of an offensive move like the others early on. Howl doesn't give you any clue, although it might imply its attacks will be "sound" based. Noiseburst, anyone? It's type is obvious now that they revealed it can learn Psychic, so not much to discuss on that department.
I can see Chespin learning Rapid Spin and Spikes, fitting its theme.

Ditto24

Well, if your going to use the 'Beta' excuse, then how do we know the starter evos haven't been changed? And I meant Tierno gives us them on Sycamore's behalf.

And I'm sure a 2nd Mewtwo forme wouldn't be neglected like this, while the other Mewtwo gets all the glory. All other Pokemon with more then one forme have shown of all of them at roughly the same time, sans Deoxys' Speed Forme, which was probably added to give Emerald it's own unique Deoxys, and even then we get a special with Speed Forme included later.

And as you said, Beta, so some of that stuff might change.

So, I'm expecting Fennekin or Froakie to be the fastest, but I wouldn't mind Chespin being the fastest.

I expect:

Chespin: Tank

Fennekin: Special Sweeper

Froakie: Mixed Glass Cannon

I wouldn't say using a beta is an excuse, they played it for feedback and to see what people thought of it. The starters could of changed, I never said they couldn't. But odds are what he played will be fairly different than the final project, just look at all the pics of Castelia City, you can see loads of changes through out the development process.

I agree though about one getting all the attention in the movie and such but the other is still unheard of, I said the same thing in regards to there probably not being another Eevee this gen.

But saying he screwed up is a bit harsh, we're kinda lucky we have this info.

As for stats I kind of agree, I'm basically expecting Froakie to have Infernapes stats, maybe more speed though.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Well it is a speculation thread for a reason! Although rumours mostly exist to create hype, they can't all be utter nonsense. Plus, almost every rumour from the Pokebeach source has been true up to now, so I don't think there are a lot of things left to doubt.

Back to the starter speculation; a water/flying Froakie evolution would be amazing! I am certain it will learn Acrobatics as its main Flying STAB! I also think Extremespeed and Agility are also possible moves it will be able to learn.
I am really disappointed that Fennekin learns Howl instead of an offensive move like the others early on. Howl doesn't give you any clue, although it might imply its attacks will be "sound" based. Noiseburst, anyone? It's type is obvious now that they revealed it can learn Psychic, so not much to discuss on that department.
I can see Chespin learning Rapid Spin and Spikes, fitting its theme.

You do realize tons of Pokemon learn Psychic-Type Moves? Like Poison-Types, Dark-Types, Ghost-Types, Normal-Types and Bug-Types. And Magmortar does, too.

Sorry, I'm just sick of people going Moves = Type, I apologize if I sound hostile.

I'm actually beyond caring about the starter types tbh. I mostly worry for the design. I don't care if my Fennekin is Fire/Fighting if it looks flawless.

I wouldn't say using a beta is an excuse, they played it for feedback and to see what people thought of it. The starters could of changed, I never said they couldn't. But odds are what he played will be fairly different than the final project, just look at all the pics of Castelia City, you can see loads of changes through out the development process.

I agree though about one getting all the attention in the movie and such but the other is still unheard of, I said the same thing in regards to there probably not being another Eevee this gen.

But saying he screwed up is a bit harsh, we're kinda lucky we have this info.

As for stats I kind of agree, I'm basically expecting Froakie to have Infernapes stats, maybe more speed though.

Don't really have a kinder word for 'Screwed Up' in my vocabulary :p

But if he played the whole game, he could've at least explained what my Fenne-Boo looks like :/

And yeah, I'm thinking Froakie and Infernape will be BFFs. Let's just hope they don't pull a Typhlosion and Copy and Paste it's stats.

Last edited:

Teraflare

You do realize tons of Pokemon learn Psychic-Type Moves? Like Poison-Types, Dark-Types, Ghost-Types, Normal-Types and Bug-Types. And Magmortar does, too.

Sorry, I'm just sick of people going Moves = Type, I apologize if I sound hostile.

I'm actually beyond caring about the starter types tbh. I mostly worry for the design. I don't care if my Fennekin is Fire/Fighting if it looks flawless.

I do realise that the fact a Pokemon can learn a certain move doesn't mean it will have that move's type. Although this is true, i don't see a reason they would reveal Psychic as part of its moveset, if it wouldn't turn into a Psychic type in the end. That would create hype which would turn into disappointment. Another fact you might not take into account is that the moves they used were most probably ones that they could learn by levelling up. I understand that a lot of Pokemon can learn Psychic, but what about Pokemon that can learn Psychic by levelling up? I doubt there are more than 5 non-psychic type Pokemon that do so.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I do realise that the fact a Pokemon can learn a certain move doesn't mean it will have that move's type. Although this is true, i don't see a reason they would reveal Psychic as part of its moveset, if it wouldn't turn into a Psychic type in the end. That would create hype which would turn into disappointment. Another fact you might not take into account is that the moves they used were most probably ones that they could learn by levelling up. I understand that a lot of Pokemon can learn Psychic, but what about Pokemon that can learn Psychic by levelling up? I doubt there are more than 5 non-psychic type Pokemon that do so.

Froakie learns Quick Attack. Froakie Water/Normal confirmed.

We've got Venonat, Venomoth, Spinarak, Ariados, Wormadam, Mothim. Fennekin is Bug-Type 0_o

:p Darn you for making a compelling argument!

And how is Fennekin not being Fire/Psychic a 'disappointment'? Fire/Psychic is a mediocre typing.

Teraflare

Froakie learns Quick Attack. Froakie Water/Normal confirmed.

We've got Venonat, Venomoth, Spinarak, Ariados, Wormadam, Mothim. Fennekin is Bug-Type 0_o

:p Darn you for making a compelling argument!

And how is Fennekin not being Fire/Psychic a 'disappointment'? Fire/Psychic is a mediocre typing.

Fire/Psychic being a disappointment is up to one's taste. The disappointment would be created if they created hype for a typing, and then just turn it all around. Obviously Fennekin is the fan-favourite, so it would have some impact. Water/Normal wouldn't be too shabby with the right stats! It's practically a Water type with an extra STAB in exchange for a Fighting-type weakness and a Ghost-type immunity. A Pokemon might also learn a move that is related to its theme. That's why Spikers have spikes or thorns, and why Pokemon that learn Rollout tend to have round bodies, like Marill and now Chespin.

NightFire7

I actually find it weird that Garbodor can learn Psychic. Huh? Also venonat, venomoth, spinarak, ariados, gorebyss, wormadam and mothim are all non Psychic pokemon that can learn Psychic by level up. However most of the pokebeach rumours have been true so far, but I am still not too sure whether we are actually going to get dual type moves or a new mewtwo form. So even though I would think it would be cool if it was a Dark, Psychic, Fighting triangle, we still can't rule out the possibility that there may still be false information in the pokebeach rumours.

gpt11

I actually find it weird that Garbodor can learn Psychic. Huh? Also venonat, venomoth, spinarak, ariados, gorebyss, wormadam and mothim are all non Psychic pokemon that can learn Psychic by level up. However most of the pokebeach rumours have been true so far, but I am still not too sure whether we are actually going to get dual type moves or a new mewtwo form. So even though I would think it would be cool if it was a Dark, Psychic, Fighting triangle, we still can't rule out the possibility that there may still be false information in the pokebeach rumours.

Over 100 none Psychic Pokémon can learn Psychic lol

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Fire/Psychic being a disappointment is up to one's taste. The disappointment would be created if they created hype for a typing, and then just turn it all around. Obviously Fennekin is the fan-favourite, so it would have some impact. Water/Normal wouldn't be too shabby with the right stats! It's practically a Water type with an extra STAB in exchange for a Fighting-type weakness and a Ghost-type immunity. A Pokemon might also learn a move that is related to its theme. That's why Spikers have spikes or thorns, and why Pokemon that learn Rollout tend to have round bodies, like Marill and now Chespin.

Duh. Fennekin will not be Psychic-Type. It's just a trend all Pokemon with ear hair learn Psychic :p

And Sylveon done it, so another Fox f*ckin' up people's guesses wouldn't be too bad :p

I want Froakie to be a Poison Dart Frog so bad. I mean 'Dart Frog' makes it sound fast, and I'm dying for a Poison-Type starter that isn't Grass/Poison. I mean I know we have Skrelp, but look at all the Grass/Poison types in Gen I 0_o

Teraflare

Duh. Fennekin will not be Psychic-Type. It's just a trend all Pokemon with ear hair learn Psychic :p

And Sylveon done it, so another Fox f*ckin' up people's guesses wouldn't be too bad :p

I want Froakie to be a Poison Dart Frog so bad. I mean 'Dart Frog' makes it sound fast, and I'm dying for a Poison-Type starter that isn't Grass/Poison. I mean I know we have Skrelp, but look at all the Grass/Poison types in Gen I 0_o

Admittedly, a Poison Type starter sounds great! Even if Froakie doesn't end up as a Poison type, i will be, somehow, related to Poison. Seismitoad got Poison Touch and can learn Sludge Bomb. And this is where moves based on a Pokemon's theme comes into play! ;) Well Sylveon did create a lot of confusion, but that was mostly due to the fact that a lot of people didn't want the Fairy-type in the first place. Thankfully the Fairy-type was revealed, and it opened up so many more possibilities! But that's a bit off topic on my part.

NightFire7

I meant learning psychic by levelling up and not learning it from a Tm. But a lot of different pokes can learn Psychic by Tm in general. I personally don't think there is nothing wrong with fire/psychic, Its better than FIRE/FIGHTING! Seriously if fennekin ends up being Fire/Fighting, a lot of people are going to be very upset since it seems to be the fan favourite ;)

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Still completely sure Fennekin will evolve to a Fire/Psychic. Thank Arceus Fire/Fighting seems to be done with~

Would have preferred Froakie to be Water/Dark, but Fighting seems good for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.